“I live in Curacao.”

and up
Curacao TukTuk City Tour
Ranked #14 of 107 things to do in Willemstad
More attraction details
Owner description: The Western Hemisphere's oldest synagogue in continuous use was founded in 1651 by 12 families from Amsterdam.
Willemstad, Curacao
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“I live in Curacao.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

I live in Curacao and have the pleasure of visiting this magnificent building almost every week to attend servives.
It's really worth a visit, even if you're no Jewish !!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank vankyrna

Rhinelander, Wisconsin, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A chance to be in the oldest in use synagogue in the Americas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

The woman who was working the guest services desk was very pleasant and informative as well as kind enough to help us with directions to other attractions.

Napa, California
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A Surprise in Curacao”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Even knowing something of European History and the Spanish Inquisition I never dreamed I would discover such an old, interesting, well-maintained, and living place of worship in the Antilles. The synagogue was so interesting with its sand floor harking back to an even earlier time in Jewish history. I am not Jewish but found the synagogue and its museum to be both moving and meaningful. We are very glad we took time on our day here with a cruise to visit this site.

Visited February 2014
Lucerne, Switzerland
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

This is a truly historical building, and we found it both beautiful and moving. The little museum has a lot of interesting artifacts, including a Torah that dates from the 1300's. The sand floor of the sanctuary is unique.

1 Thank David C
Mount Juliet, Tennessee, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

One of the most moving and enlightening places I have visited. The synagogue was so beautiful . I found all the items in the museum fascinating . It may be small but there are 3 floors (steep steps) of items I never dreamed I would see. For me the $10 entrance fee was not a problem at all. I would encourage anyone who visits to read a little background on the synagogue. They do provide a lovely informative pamphlet but understanding what you are seeing brings more meaning.

1 Thank Robin B