“We loved the Curacao Marriott and hope to return soon!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino

Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Willemstad
Orlando, Florida
“We loved the Curacao Marriott and hope to return soon!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

My wife and I just returned from one week at the Curacao Marriott Beach Resort for our 10th Anniversary. We are Marriott Reward members and pretty much had the option of going anywhere we wanted to go with our points. We used points for our stay and for the all-inclusive (food/drinks/activities) option.

We had an absolutely amazing week in Curacao. The Resort is beautiful... by far the best resort on the island. (The Hyatt is opening soon... but it seems more golf oriented than beach oriented.) The Marriott is walking distance from the Hilton. From what we could tell after walking around the grounds at the Hilton... it’s no contest between the two. We prefer a quant, small resort feel when we travel, which we got at the Curacao Marriott. (And I’m not talking about the real estate magazine definition of “quant” meaning a small fixer upper. I’m talking about a nice bed and breakfast “quant.”) With that said, it was a larger resort than we expected. It was the best of both worlds... big resort amenities with a quant feel. I think the beautiful landscaping effectively divides the grounds of the resort and helps create the intimate feel that we like.

The service at the resort was excellent. Everyone was happy, courteous and eager to please. All of the staff members we interacted with spoke Dutch, English and Spanish. We actually got to know many of the staff members over the course of the week and had a great time with Elvis, Giomarley, Cerita, Yvette, and Edward.

The room we booked with our points was a resort view room. When we arrived we inquired about upgrading. The upgrade cost for a beach front room through Marriott’s website was $100 per night. In our case, that would have been $100 per night on top of the points required to book the resort view room. At the resort we were quoted the same $100 dollars. After some negotiating at the front desk we settled at $50 per night to upgrade to the beach front room. Our room was literally 30 feet from a relatively quiet section of the beach. It was an amazing view and very convenient. If you are willing to stay in a resort view room, but interested in upgrading, I would recommend booking a resort view and upgrading on site. If the beach fronts are full, you’re out of luck, but you could get a great deal. The rooms are nice... not great, but clean and comfortable. They are due for some updating, which I think is in the works. They had a digital photo frame set up the the front desk showing what the new room interiors will look like... very nice.

One of the reasons we chose the Curacao Marriott was it’s beach. I was surprised to see that the resort is located on the “windy/wavy” side of the island, unlike the Aruba Marriott which sits on the very calm side of that island. While we were there, the wind was blowing and the waves were rolling from left to right along the beach the entire time. There are man made jetties (large stacked coral rocks) that protect the beach from the waves for the most part, creating a very nice, calm lagoon. The jetties are a great place to snorkel and they are full of beautiful fish. The depth ranges from 2 feet to about 20 feet. New coral is getting established on and around the rocks that make up the jetties. We snorkeled at the Marriott and the Hilton beaches. Again, it was no contest. For starter or even experienced snorkelers, the Marriott beach is beautiful, convenient and cheap

We didn’t have a problem with it, but there is a public beach that borders the Marriott beach. There is a high, solid panel fence that separates the beaches on land. But the water in the lagoon is a “shared” area. We were actually happy to see the locals enjoying the amenities of their beautiful island. But others may not see it that way so it’s worth mentioning.

I am an avid fisherman but didn’t take any charter trips while in Curacao. I looked into it a little bit, but I didn’t get the sense that fishing was a big priority on the island. Other than a few local fisherman, I didn’t see any charter fishing boats while we were there. I did a little fishing with my own travel rod and lures from the jetties at the Marriott. I caught a few small Jacks, two small groupers and some other crazy looking reef fish. (For the fisherman, a DOA shrimp was by far the most effective lure I had with me.) Water shoes are a must for walking on the jetties and I would recommend them in general. Portions of the Marriott beaches are soft and sandy and portions are rocky. The water shoes come in handy.

Here’s a few things you should know. Everything you purchase at the Curacao Marriott will have a 12% service charge and 5% resort tax added on.... including room rates. The food and drinks at the resort are not cheap. Cocktails are $7-$9, beers are about $6... plus the fees. Lunch items average $10 to $15, dinner’s $20 to $30. The food is pretty good. The breakfast buffet ($17) is excellent. The theme night dinners which run about $30 per person... are OK. Not great. Overall the food gets a GOOD rating from us. Even though we were all inclusive, we kept track of our spending for the week... out of curiosity. For two of us for the week we “spent” over $1800 on meals and drinks. I will say, we didn’t exactly hold back... knowing everything was covered. Two kids can be included in the all inclusive package for no extra charge, so depending on the pricing, the all inclusive could be worth doing.

Overall, we absolutely loved our time at the Curacao Marriott. We hope to return soon with our children.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bkverkaik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
Belo Horizonte, MG
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2010

The hotel is great. Rooms are good and staff is great too with just a few exceptions when we arrive for breakfast near closing time (11am).
Kid (2years) loved beach and pool.
Portofino restaurant has good options.
It is also near good restaurants (sjallote) and other beaches (porto mari is the most beautiful beach I have ever been).
Cassino is small and smells cigarrete, but I dont care since I dont go to cassinos.
Right now is the one of the best choices in Curacao, just check the rates at floris suites and hyatt is starting business.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank eltonpn
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

The Marriott is beautiful on the outside and around the hotel grounds. As far as the rooms go....I'd say they were fair to nice. The hotel staff was very friendly but they are also very slow. But if you've never been to Curacao, that is the way it is everywhere. They're on a different schedule and don't rush around to do anything. So if you're planning a trip there, be prepared to sit back, relax and wait. If you're uptight about those kinds of things, chose another island. The food is not very good no matter where you go on the island. There are but a handful of decent places to eat, and they're probably hard to find if you've never been. As far as scuba or snorkeling goes, this is the place to be. There are numerous places to snorkel around the hotel beaches, and they are beautiful. If you're in to scuba diving, then it's even better. There's a very friendly, very professional dive shop located right at the hotel. It was literally a 1 min walk from our room. The staff is excellent and the diving is spectacular. If you're planning a trip for this purpose, look no further. Overall, it was an great trip and I would definitely recommend it to any snorkelers and/or scuba divers. If you're looking to sight see, try the Bahamas.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank PendletonAllen
San Juan Capistrano, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2010

I'm surprised at the high reviews this hotel rec'd. I agree the snorkeling was great. The rooms are in desperate need of renovating - there is NOTHING luxurious about the rooms. The service was incredibly slow, however all the staff was very friendly. The food was barely average. The pool was not large enough to accommodate all the people. The beach was beautiful - that was the highlight.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CaliKel
Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

Big thanks to all you TripAdvisor members who wrote a review about the Marriot Beach Resort. I booked our room based on you guys and I was not disappointed. The island itself isn't that great, to be honest. Lots of unfinishined buildings, yards full of junk and broken cars, bumpy roads, lacks charm, etc. That being said, don't let this talk you out of visiting Curaçao! We actually had a great time there and might go back in the future. The climate is awesome, the locals are very friendly, the island is not crowded at all (big plus!). And if you're at the Marriott, you're in for a great vacation ...

We took a taxi from the airport. It was a short drive ($25). The entrance of the hotel and the lobby are so beautiful. Very friendly staff. They brought our luggage upstairs and explained how the hotel works (restaurant hours, etc).

The room was clean and big. The bed was super comfy. Air conditioning included at no extra fee (some hotels will charge extra for it). TV had American channels through satellite. We paid for a resort view room and were pleasantly surprised when we arrived: yes our room had a resort view, but we could also see the beach and the ocean from our balcony (a little to the side, but who cares, it was beautiful). If you happen to get one of the resort view rooms that face the other side (no ocean whatsoever), try to casually ask at the front desk if any room across yours are available to switch. Your view will be great! I know people say you don't spend a lot of time in the bedroom, but the terrace was really nice to read and relax, as well as to take beautiful pictures.

The lobby has everything, including a tour organizer and a rental car desk. I do recommend to rent a car. We rented one for just a day and it was well worth it. We got to visit a good part of the island in just one day. I read some people suggested to rent one through an agency outside the hotel, but to be honest, it was so convenient to book it there. The car was waiting for us in the hotel parking lot the next morning and everything was taken care of. So if it's a little more pricey, I personally think it's worth it. Besides, the price was not outrageous at all.

The Marriott has several restaurants:
- Portofino: for buffet breakfast and Italian themed dinner. They have buffet night once a week (I think). We had seafood buffet on Friday night, which I assume is a weekly thing. It was great! For dinner: I personally suggest their seafood canelloni (sooo delicious).
- Seabreeze: the Seabreeze bar has one side accessible to swimmers in the pool, with little stools in the water. Pretty cool :-) The other part of the bar is basically a regular bar that you can walk up to from the other side. The Seabreeze has an open air restaurant area, right at the beach. Most tables are on a wooden deck, but there are also a few tables practically on the beach itself (although not on sand; it's on solid rocks). The menu consists of mainly seafood, but they also have chicken and a few other choices. For some reason, there were less people dining at the Seabreeze. But I found it more relaxed, less formal, and more comfortable than Portofino. Seabreeze also had buffet on Tuesday night.

Portofino was nice the first few evenings, but then they turned up the air conditioning like crazy when more Americans showed up, and it was pretty chilly in there. So we enjoyed Seabreeze better because the temperature at night stays nice and warm in Curaçao.

All restaurants serve both regular home made ice tea (unsweetened, but they will give you sugar to add if you like it better sweet) and canned Arizona iced tea (with lemon and peach flavor). I'm European, but I personally LOVE American home made ice tea, so I was pleasantly surprised :-)

Breakfast is awesome! It was the best part of the day for me. Big buffet with tons of choices. Where do I start? European style pastries, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, syrup, cereal, fresh fruit, salad, salmon, bread, bagels, all kind of toppings, yogurt, all kinds of juices, coffee, tea. They even had someone cooking omelets with whatever you want in it. I asked for a plain sunny side up once.

There's also Voila Delicatessen. Nobody actually eats there, although there are a couple of tables and stools right outside of it. It's more like a little bakery and souvenir shop. They sell desserts, sandwiches, cool drinks, bottled water, candy, and even random items such as: sun lotions, tampons, condoms, tshirts, beach bags, hats, etc.

I'm guessing April 7th to April 14th was low season there, because the hotel was pretty quiet. We never had any trouble finding seats on the beach. Weekend seemed a little busier. It seems like a lot of Americans fly in on Friday evening and leave on Sunday. Friday evening at Portofino had a large group of noisy Americans. And you'll probably see a wedding or two during your stay.

We didn't check out the Emerald Lounge (good to grab a drink or a small snack I think), nor the Casino, so I can't comment on those. I do strongly recommend you rent snorkeling equipment ($20.79 with tax included for 4 hours). There are so many beautiful fishes! It's awesome that they have this right in front of the hotel.

Tips:

-1- Don't bother bringing your own towels. You can get 2 towels per person daily for free at the hotel's spa (right next to the fitness place). They'll just ask for your room number and mark the # of towels taken, then they'll mark the # of towels returned in the evening. I think they're open until 10PM if I remember well.

-2- You can book a shuttle to Willemstad at the front desk. They asked us to book our seats the same day we planned on going, preferably before 10AM. They have one that leaves at 9AM and one that leaves at 2PM. We took the 2PM shuttle (extremely small van with only 10 seats) and they drove us back to the hotel at 6PM. Plenty enough time to visit Willemstad, which is quite small. This shuttle service is 100% free.

-3- Do bring a cardigan if you're going to eat at Portofino. The AC can be chilly.

-4- Most people won't need to bring adapters, unless you're from Australia or UK. All rooms have both european and american sockets. Very practical!

-5- When going to Portofino for breakfast or buffet night, you can ask to be seated outside. As far as I'm aware, regular dinner nights only had tables inside.

-6- Even if you pay for all inclusive, you will always be given a bill at the end of each breakfast and meal. Simply mark your room number, name, tip, and sign. Only the tip will be added to your bill at checkout. We were a little confused the first time, and saw other new customers asking the same questions on their first day. They should add some explanation to avoid having to answer this very same question all the time lol

-7- We overheard a couple saying that their room had no bath tub (only shower), so they requested to switch rooms, which apparently was no problem at all. Something to keep in mind.

-8- swimming pool + both jacuzzis and the beach, as well as the fitness area are open to use 24/7

-9- Do make use of the safe located in the closet. It's so practical and easy to use, it would be silly not to.

-10- Go to Hook's Hut at least once during your stay. It's a restaurant up the road, right next to the Hilton. We went there because I read other reviewers saying it was good, and it really was! It's all pirate themed and it's beautiful. There was one band playing nice soft music. We had a great evening there.

-11- I haven't tried the internet there, but they do advertise available internet in rooms for a fee and I also saw they have a computer room downstairs near the tour desk with internet.

-12- I personally do not recommend beach front rooms, they are not worth the price in my opinion. Ocean views are great, and Resort Views are just as great if you're facing the right side. Beach Front are overpriced, and I cannot imagine it being nice. The beach bar plays music all day, and although it's not loud at all, I wouldn't want to hear it all the time while chilling on my balcony. Plus you have zero privacy on those balconies as you're facing everyone on the beach. Also, I overheard someone saying they clean the beach sometimes with machines early in the morning. The noise of it must not be pleasant. Background noise of people talking or playing volleyball isn't something I would consider a plus.

-13- Try to book a room on one of the upper floors if you can. There will be less people passing in front of your room.

-14- When booking your stay at the Marriott, add a flat $23 / day "service" fee to your total + a daily room tax, which for us was $13.35 (but I think it depends on the room rate you get). This was only added to our bill when we checked out, and it made a big difference on our total. I wish they had told us when we booked.

When checking out on our last day, the concierge called a taxi for us and loaded our luggage. Nice!

All in all, it was an awesome vacation! It was extremely romantic, but I also recommend for families with children. I saw they have kids activities by the pool in the afternoon and have baby chairs at every restaurant. Kids usually bug me, but it wasn't an issue at this hotel.

I cannot imagine we would have enjoyed our stay in Curaçao as much if we had been at a different hotel :-)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
19 Thank RestoChick
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2010

Beautiful location, well maintained and overall a great place to visit. Snorkeling was outstanding, fun and easy. Swimming was very nice-both in pool and ocean and food was acceptable, not great but knowing that almost everything gets flown or shipped in it is certainly reasonable-both price and quality. Only negative was a resort curse-where peolple put towels and books out very early to "save" their favorite spot-then show up later-sometimes hours later-thereby screwing other peolple out of a spot to enjoy the beach
If the resort did a "sweep" like some other places-and every half hour clear off unoccupied chairs, it would be perfect and fair for all.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MCB11
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2010

When we arrived in Curacao, we were a little suprised because near the airport is mainly desert and the surrounding area has less than attractive sights. Once we arrived at the hotel, we were more than pleasantly suprised! The hotel was gorgeous. The staff was amazing. They handed us tropical juice and a cold towel the minute we arrived. Check in took much longer than we expected, but the staff made up for that. They remembered our names and made sure we had EVERYTHING we needed at all times during our stay. The room was just OK, but how long are you really in there anyway? The Marriott beach is MUCH nicer than the Hilton next door. It's quiet, not a lot of kids which was a plus. Snorkeling was amazing. Kayaking was great too (and really cheap). The food was reasonably priced the drinks were out of this world. Housekeeping was wonderful as well. Hotel staff recommended wonderful restaurants in Willemstadd, however the area was less than desireable. We ran into another American there and he told us to stay in the restaurant and not to wait for the taxi outside. This was a little alarming, but we did not run into any problems. Go to Fishalicious. It was AMAZING and the staff was fantastic. I have nothing bad to say about Curacao except that our stay was not long enough! Go! You will love it. (DO NOT GO to the aquarium it is terrible and it's overpriced. If you're from NY just stick with Coney Island!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple