“Decent, but I wouldn't go back.”
Review of Hilton Curacao

Hilton Curacao
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Toronto
“Decent, but I wouldn't go back.”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Pros:
- Huge pool and two private beaches with ample chairs always available (walk down the pathway past the pool and mini put to go find the second "hidden" beach.)
- Friendly staff (by Curacao standards... which keep in mind are different than standards you'd expect in other vacation destinations like Dominican Republic or Mexico.)
- Gorgeous ocean view from the balcony of our room with an incredible sunset.
- Food & drinks were delicious (ordered "take out" from the bar and took it up to our room and also sipped frozen cocktails by the pool.)

Cons:
- Housekeeping was a miss (basics covered but zero attention to detail in the cleaning of the room.)
- Lots of noise woke me up early on my sleep-in day (renovations were being completed on the floor above.)
- Room was renovated but not in the best state of repair (things must have been done cheaply, because handles were falling off etc.)
- Location (this hotel is near the world trade center, but not near anything else... you will have to rent a car or get a taxi or take the hotel shuttle to get downtown.)

General: I have stayed at four rental properties and three hotels in Curacao and have lots to compare to. I would not choose this Hilton again with other options available.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank tacobeaster
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear ivp27,

Thank you for taking your time to review your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am glad to read that you enjoyed our beach and pool facilities and the culinary offers we provide at our hotel. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed the ocean view of our hotel rooms and took note of the friendliness of our staff.

As I come to notice that you have visited our hotel during the times of renovation, I would like to sincerely apologize for any disturbances and inconveniences you might have experienced during this time. As for now, all of our rooms are completely renovated, meeting highest standards in equipment and cleanliness.

We hope to see you back at our hotel again so you can convince yourself about the positive effects of our renovation.

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Highlands Ranch, Co
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We are a retired couple who travel extensively. For this trip, we have our daughter and her family with us. We are all Hilton Diamond members and did quite a bit of research before choosing this hotel. We have found that the majority of the negative reviews on Tripadvisor for this property are from folks who do not travel very much, so they do not have many comparisons. Our registration went very smoothly and we were greeted by exceptionally friendly people. The Bellman who brought us up to our room on the 5th (Executive) floor was very helpful with an overview of the property. We found our renovated room to be great. There are no moldy smell and there is no mold in the bathroom. Our room is very clean and well appointed. The HVAC allows us to set the temp in our room to our liking and is quiet. The walk-in shower is very nice. Lighting throughout the room is good. Linens are high quality and the four large pillows on the King bed are very good. Flat-screen TV has lots of channels. There is a safe in the closet for valuables. Our balcony looks out to the beach, pools, and ocean. We have had our breakfasts in the Executive Lounge every morning and have found good choices and availability each day. In the evenings, the Happy Hour is great. Ourevening hostess, Kareen, is one of the best assets for this hotel. She has gone overboard to give us local information and has treated us as family. We see groundskeepers all day working hard to keep trash and leaves off the beach and walkways. If smokers would not throw their cigarette butts on the beach, that problem would be solved. Occasionally we hear noises from outside at night, but the noise always quiets down early in the evening. No problem! We have eaten at all three restaurants on property and have had good experiences. Prices are what I would say is maybe $$ in the USA for similar restaurants. They are comparable to what we found in Rome and in Hawaii at resorts. The beach BBQ restaurant is our favorite for lunch. Service has been excellent as has been the food. Cielo’s is the hotel’s Italian restaurant. Prices range from about $22 – 39 for entrees. Bar prices are what we find just about anywhere we travel. We did walk over to the Marriott next door for dinner at their Seaside Bar and Grill and their menu and prices were similar to those here at the Hilton. My review sounds like I might be a Hilton employee or relative. Nope! Just a person who travels a lot and is able to take a critical look at properties where we stay. The only two things we all agree would be a good addition to this property are a gift shop with Sundries and Ice Cream, and bar service that comes to the chairs by the pools and beach. Other than these things…no complaints whatsoever. We would definitely come for another week. We did rent a car on our second day here and rented it at the National Car Rental Counter at the Marriott. It was cheaper than renting it here by about $100 for five days. Driving in Curacao is interesting. There aren’t as many street signs as we’re used to so we’ve done quite a few U-turns! The Dutch influence here is one of quiet friendliness. We will be back and we’ll stay at the Hilton again!

Room Tip: High floor, ocean view, away from the elevator.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank mumsie2u
Dear mumsie2u,

First of all I would like to thank you for your extensive review about your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am delighted to read about all your positive comments on our hotel. Thank you for praising our facilities and service provided by our staff. I am pleased to pass on your kind words to Kareen. As the renovations of our hotel rooms were just recently completed, it is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed the new design and facilities of our rooms. I also want to thank you for making suggestions for improvement. I am glad to announce that we are in the implementation process of introducing ice cream at our beach bar and are working on establishing service at the beach.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao during your next stay!

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We went for our honeymoon and spent 7 days. Arrived at airport and took forever to find a ride to the hotel. Food was way too expensive. We were in room 505. The champagne and cheese plate that waited for us was rancid and warm. YUCK. The view was beautiful. The beach and the water were nice. But as for eating, make sure you budget a ton of money. At the hotel or anywhere else. And be careful where you eat. My husband and I got extremely sick the last three days of our stay. The hotel room smelled like body odor and the whole island has a gross smell. Along with employees and taxi drivers bathing in cologne to cover up their stench. Oh and if you order a fountain Coke it is like $3.50 US and guess what? You have to pay for refills on your small glass. And the beers come in mini sized bottles. And would they spring for some bottled water? Nope...tap water all the way. They were prompt to bring us more towels and toilet paper. But when I asked for conditioner and body wash that the house keeper forgot to leave she came up and barged in the room to inspect that we really didn't get the conditioner and body wash. Then she said they were out of body wash and brought me two half empty bottles from another customers room. Oh and the shampoo and conditioner sucked. I had to use an entire bottle to try to detangle my long long hair. We were super disappointed and sad that we could only fly out on Saturdays. Because we would have gladly paid to get out of there after day 3. And you have to pay $39 per person to leave their country. I did a bunch of research and didn't find any negative reviews of this place. GOD I wish some more people would be honest. And the 48 mile long island is so freaking dirty. YUCKY GROSS. Blah. Make sure to rent a car so you can get around with being raped by taxis. And there are bushaultes (bus stops) everywhere but we never could get a bus to pick us up??? And there is a really big Super Market that you can stock up on staples off the main drag headed towards West Punte. I suggest you get food, water and supplies from there. Because $28 for sunscreen at the hotel is insane.

Room Tip: Definitely stay on the executive suites floor (5th floor) take advantage of the executive suite. f...
4 Thank Sharklover420
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Sharklover420,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experiences at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

Please let me use this moment to congratulate you to your recent wedding and thank you for choosing the Hilton Curacao to spend your honeymoon at. I am glad that you enjoyed the view and beaches of our hotel.

I want to express to you my sincerest apologies that your experiences were not in line with your expectations. It is a disappointment that you were not able to enjoy the small honeymoon surprise we sent to your room due to the wrong timing. Please feel free to contact me personally via cedric.nubul@hilton.com in order to provide me with further details so we can address the issues you encountered properly.

Even though the island and our hotel did not meet your expectations this time, I would be pleased to welcome you again at the Hilton if you decide to visit Curacao again.

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Willemstad hotels

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed in Curaçao for many times but now staying at the Hilton made the difference. The location and service are the best. We were in a city view room and like Hilton Gold Members, we asked for an upgrade… Wow, we had the best room of the Hotel with spectacular view! Both rooms are spacious, well appointed and very, very clean. The staff are all friendly and helpful - special thanks for Esther and Fiona! The restaurants and bars are a bit expensive but plenty of healthy dishes and the Beach Bar BBQs, very good. The Executive Lounge, that we had for free, gave us nice and lots of options breakfasts and happy hours all days. Really this Hilton is a true Hilton! The Hotel has two beaches: nice, crystal clear and well appointed, plenty of chairs and parasol. Nothing more to say about this Hilton, except thanks for these wonderful days in Curaçao…

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms!
1 Thank aasr81
Dear aasr81,

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am grateful to read that you truly enjoyed your time at our hotel. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our food selection available at the different outlets and the Executive Lounge. As we just recently completed the renovations of all of our rooms, it is a great pleasure to hear that you liked the design. Our staff is always striving to make every guest feel welcomed and appreciated, wherefore I will be pleased to share your positive comments with Esther and Fiona.

We would be more than glad to accommodate you again at the Hilton during your next stay in Curacao!

Holetown, Barbados
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have been staying at the Curacao Hilton over a period of 25 years. Its a very old property and became very run down prompting me to stay next door at the Marriott. However after an extensive renovation 2 years ago the rooms have been modernized with walk in showers, updated plumbing, flat screen TVs and new modern furnishings. The staff are very friendly and accommodating and its location next to the calm crystal clear Caribbean Sea is an added benefit. There is also a arge pool and a smaller one for children. I would recommend this property but caution the building is very old and the occasional cracks and leaks do occur but are dealt with quite quickly by the maintenance team.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Steve S
Dear Steve S,

Thank you for taking your time to share a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is great to hear that you have already visited our hotel repeatedly. As we in fact just completed the renovation of all of our rooms at the beginning of this year, I am delighted to hear that you appreciated the new design and features. Thank you also for complimenting our location and the performance of our staff.

We hope to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao, so you can experience yourself the ongoing improvements we are making to our whole property.

Dusseldorf
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Nine of us met in Curacao for business reasons. We have made three previous trips on this account, staying at three other hotels. My vote for the next trip would be the Hilton. It had the best amenities, location and far better restaruant facilities than the comparables. Service was very good, the beach was on premises, the restaurant so good that we never ventured into town as on previous trips. Thumbs up.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Robert R
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Robert R,

Thank you for having chosen our hotel for your most recent trip to Curacao and sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor!

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and want to thank you for complimenting our facilities and service quality. It is a great encouragement for the entire team to receive such positive words.

We hope to see you back at the Hilton Curacao for your next business trip!

Cedric Nubul - General Manager
Hertford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

As the first resort hotel built in Curacao it has the best location! Two beaches, 4 pools in landscaped garden gave us plenty of space to enjoy different experiences. The room was spacious and well-appointed - although the maid service was variable (we had to ask for things like coffee, towels and shampoo that had been forgotten, and the not all parts of the room were cleaned every day).
The restaurant provision is Ok but expensive. We enjoyed the beach bar BBQs but mostly ate out (pirates Bay has 3 restaurants, there's an Indonesian at the top of the hill, and we took the bus into Otrabanda - a bargain at under NAFl 2).
Car hire was good to get to and from the airport (we used Alamo who have an office at the Marriott next door), but not really necessary for the full stay as the buses are so good and the island is quite small.
We spent our wedding anniversary at the Hilton, who kindly sent up a complimentary bottle of fizz.
One area for improvement would be to spend some money fixing the grounds. They are beautiful but repairs to broken tiles, cleaning the concrete and cleaning up used crockery and cigarette ends would make them magnificent.
Front desk were very friendly and helpful (thanks to Fiona, Raquel and Nashida).

Room Tip: The Ocean View rooms have spectacular views, especially from the higher floors.
2 Thank Adam L
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Adam L,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor!

First of all I would like to use this moment to congratulate you to your wedding anniversary and thank you for choosing our hotel to spend this special occasion at.
As we just recently completed the renovations to our rooms, it is great to hear compliments about the rooms from our guests. I appreciate the praise you give to our front desk employees and am pleased to share your kind comments with Fiona, Raquel and Nashida.

I want to express my sincere apologies that the maid service was not fully meeting your expectations and assure you that these points were brought to the attention of the housekeeping department. Furthermore I am glad to announce to you that we are already in the process of upgrading our hotel grounds.

I hope to welcome you and your wife back to the Hilton Curacao, perhaps for the next anniversary!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Blue Bay Curacao
Blue Bay Curacao
#1 of 1 in Dorp Sint Michiel
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!