We stayed at the Hilton Curacao from April 12-19 2014 using Hilton Honors Points. For our 7 night stay we used 238,000 Hilton Honors points. As Hilton Diamond members, we had a room on the Executive Floor (5) and had use of the small Executive Lounge. The Lounge provides a continental breakfast + bacon and hard boiled eggs, and offers complimentary coffee, cappuccino, and soft drinks throughout the day. A small selection of hot and cold hors’doeuvres were served each night. Beer and wine were available for half the cost of the bar ($3 vs. $6). The Lounge faces the beach and is a great place from which to watch the sunset. The Lounge had a Diet Coke shortage while we were there, but Kareen was able to locate some for us. She offered a lot of travel information to guests and is provided superior customer service throughout our stay.
The hotel was built in the 60’s and is still decorated in a 60’s vibe. There is a glass elevator facing the beach which allows for fantastic views. We ate at both the Internet Café (free internet!) and at the bar restaurant. The food was overpriced at the bar and mediocre to average at both. Hilton Gold and Diamond members can enjoy a continental breakfast in the large Aqua restaurant and may upgrade to an American breakfast of bacon, sausage, potatoes, and made-to-order omelets for $6. We learned of this from another guest several days into our stay but should have been informed upon our arrival. There is a 30% discounted drinks happy hour at the main bar which was very nice.
There are two small beaches with calm waters and amazing snorkeling. We had no problem finding chairs or shade. We saw scores of interesting birds and some very cool lizards including a large iguana. There are snorkels and masks for rent, but bring yours if you have them. Kayaking and scuba is available. We have snorkeled in Jamaica, Mexico, the Bahamas, Croatia and the Dominican and have never seen so many different species of fish. Quite amazing. We took a refresher dive course at the on-site dive shop with JJ which was thorough and really enjoyable. We saw tons of fish, a couple of eels, and even followed a sea turtle underwater for about 200 yards! There is a huge supply of sea glass near the first stone stairway for those of you who like to collect it. We brought home a lot! The weather was perfect during our entire stay. No rain. Curacao is very windy so it is easy to remain comfortable for many hours under the hot sun.
The infinity pool was warm and inviting. There is a nice shallow end for kids. The Jacuzzi is warm- not hot, but sufficiently bubbly.
The Hilton provides two daily shuttles to town. The van only seats about 10, so reserve your spot a day early if you would like to avoid cab fees. We were more interested in snorkeling than shopping so we only went into town once.
The room was okay. We didn’t sleep well on the king sized bed, although it was comfortable enough to watch TV from. The toiletries were not replaced often enough and we did have to call for washcloths on several days. There was a large dresser and a small closet which contained a vault. The balcony was spacious. One issue to report is that our clothes and luggage smelled musty upon our return home.
The Marriott is a short walk down the beach from the Hilton and is significantly more elegant and upscale than the Hilton. Their pool is stunning and the meals we had in the bar were very good. There are a total of three restaurants and along with a little gift shop serving desserts and gelato. The beach there is very small and rocky though.
We have stayed at dozens of Hiltons and overall, the hotel did not live up to the Hilton Quality Standard of luxury and service. The majority of employees seemed uninformed and indifferent to providing even basic customer service. We were frequently ignored by the bar and restaurant staff. The concierge and front desk staff were friendly, but other guests mentioned that the staff was unable to provide answers to basic questions about hotel amenities. Management needs to raise expectations so that all of the staff provides the same excellent service offered by the Executive Lounge team.
Overall it was a good value for us staying on points with executive room and lounge access.
Here is a picture slideshow of our trip:
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in 23 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds and built on an historic 18th century Fort, the Hilton Curacao hotel boasts two private white sand beaches, infinity and freshwater pools and a PADI Gold Palm dive center on the property, and is one of the leading Curacao hotels. Located just ten minutes from Hato International Airport and free shuttle to the center of Willemstad 10 minutes away, the Hilton Curacao is an idyllic Caribbean retreat. A Las Vegas-style casino and LivingWell Health & Beach Club are available on the property, and Guests enjoy immediate access to a range of watersports and Willemstad activities. The Hilton Curacao resort is charming, picturesque and perfectly placed for an active or relaxing visit to the Caribbean. Conferences and events for up to 400 can be easily accommodated in this Curacao hotel's range of event spaces, making it the ideal destination for corporate functions, social events or intimate destination weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Expedia, Hotel.de, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Curacao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Curacao Hotel Willemstad
- Hilton Hotel Willemstad
- Hilton Hotel Curacao
- Hilton Willemstad
- Willemstad Hilton
- Hilton Curacao Willemstad