“Great Location - Good Value for Points and Exec Lounge access!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Curacao

Hilton Curacao
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Location - Good Value for Points and Exec Lounge access!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed at the Hilton Curacao from April 12-19 2014 using Hilton Honors Points. For our 7 night stay we used 238,000 Hilton Honors points. As Hilton Diamond members, we had a room on the Executive Floor (5) and had use of the small Executive Lounge. The Lounge provides a continental breakfast + bacon and hard boiled eggs, and offers complimentary coffee, cappuccino, and soft drinks throughout the day. A small selection of hot and cold hors’doeuvres were served each night. Beer and wine were available for half the cost of the bar ($3 vs. $6). The Lounge faces the beach and is a great place from which to watch the sunset. The Lounge had a Diet Coke shortage while we were there, but Kareen was able to locate some for us. She offered a lot of travel information to guests and is provided superior customer service throughout our stay.

The hotel was built in the 60’s and is still decorated in a 60’s vibe. There is a glass elevator facing the beach which allows for fantastic views. We ate at both the Internet Café (free internet!) and at the bar restaurant. The food was overpriced at the bar and mediocre to average at both. Hilton Gold and Diamond members can enjoy a continental breakfast in the large Aqua restaurant and may upgrade to an American breakfast of bacon, sausage, potatoes, and made-to-order omelets for $6. We learned of this from another guest several days into our stay but should have been informed upon our arrival. There is a 30% discounted drinks happy hour at the main bar which was very nice.

The Beach
There are two small beaches with calm waters and amazing snorkeling. We had no problem finding chairs or shade. We saw scores of interesting birds and some very cool lizards including a large iguana. There are snorkels and masks for rent, but bring yours if you have them. Kayaking and scuba is available. We have snorkeled in Jamaica, Mexico, the Bahamas, Croatia and the Dominican and have never seen so many different species of fish. Quite amazing. We took a refresher dive course at the on-site dive shop with JJ which was thorough and really enjoyable. We saw tons of fish, a couple of eels, and even followed a sea turtle underwater for about 200 yards! There is a huge supply of sea glass near the first stone stairway for those of you who like to collect it. We brought home a lot! The weather was perfect during our entire stay. No rain. Curacao is very windy so it is easy to remain comfortable for many hours under the hot sun.

The Pool
The infinity pool was warm and inviting. There is a nice shallow end for kids. The Jacuzzi is warm- not hot, but sufficiently bubbly.
Willemstad
The Hilton provides two daily shuttles to town. The van only seats about 10, so reserve your spot a day early if you would like to avoid cab fees. We were more interested in snorkeling than shopping so we only went into town once.

The Room
The room was okay. We didn’t sleep well on the king sized bed, although it was comfortable enough to watch TV from. The toiletries were not replaced often enough and we did have to call for washcloths on several days. There was a large dresser and a small closet which contained a vault. The balcony was spacious. One issue to report is that our clothes and luggage smelled musty upon our return home.

The Marriott
The Marriott is a short walk down the beach from the Hilton and is significantly more elegant and upscale than the Hilton. Their pool is stunning and the meals we had in the bar were very good. There are a total of three restaurants and along with a little gift shop serving desserts and gelato. The beach there is very small and rocky though.

The Hilton
We have stayed at dozens of Hiltons and overall, the hotel did not live up to the Hilton Quality Standard of luxury and service. The majority of employees seemed uninformed and indifferent to providing even basic customer service. We were frequently ignored by the bar and restaurant staff. The concierge and front desk staff were friendly, but other guests mentioned that the staff was unable to provide answers to basic questions about hotel amenities. Management needs to raise expectations so that all of the staff provides the same excellent service offered by the Executive Lounge team.

Overall it was a good value for us staying on points with executive room and lounge access.

Here is a picture slideshow of our trip:

Room Tip: Getting access to the executive lounge will greatly enhance your stay at the Hilton Curacao.
3 Thank Michael B
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Debmike,

Thank you for your extensive review about your hotel stay on Tripadvisor!

It is great to hear that you liked our Executive Lounge and the service you were provided with there. I am glad to share your positive feedback with Kareen. I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel property and the activities offered on our grounds.

It is a pity that the overall service quality you were provided with did not match your expectations. I appreciate your feedback in terms of communication issues you experienced, and am pleased to inform you that this matter is being improved.

Thank you for sharing this nice video with us and the community; it gives great impressions of your stay on Curacao and at our hotel.

We hope to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao to exceed your expectations next time!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Polish first
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at Hilton Curacao in December 2013.
After a couple of days on our stay in a room on the second floor, we have been bitten by some bugs. We discovered bite marks in the morning – red and itching. The next morning there were more bite marks on our bodies, and the morning after the third night we had more fresh bite marks. We didn’t experience any bites during the day.
It was obvious to us that there were some bugs (bed bugs?) in our sheets – we think that they had been brought to our room with a set of new bed linens by room service.
One more observation to this: the rooms at the end of hallways on the second and third floor with ice vending machines were extremely messy and filthy.
We requested a room change at front desk and our request has been quickly granted – we received and moved to new room on the third floor. The situation improved – there were no more bites.
But the bite marks we already had caused a huge discomfort to us – strong itching and strong urge to scratch. The hotel, front desk did not provide any assistance with medicine to ease our suffering. We drove to the city and purchased Cortisone ointment and anti-allergic medication.
The whole biting incident destroyed our vacation. We had these bite marks after returning home for a longer time and we had to refrain from scratching to prevent any infection. We are including some pictures of the bite marks.

Room Tip: Rooms with odd numbers are ocean side.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Valenrod
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Valenrod,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor!

As already brought to your attention in private email exchange, we investigated your hotel room further. As stated in the report sent to you, an official pest control company thoroughly inspected the applicable room and could not find any traces of bed bugs.
I am sorry for the discomfort you experienced and that you were not able to fully enjoy your stay at our hotel.

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Willemstad hotels

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

This Hotel has a very nice beach and pool. Food Service and Quality need work. I was reminded of a 1950's Holiday Inn. We had requested Chilled wine in room upon arrival. Two days later it still had not arrived. The executive lounge is like a teachers lounge in a public school in the US.....plain tile floors and metal chairs.....no attempt at ambiance. We checked out and moved down the beach to a far nicer hotel with a lower rack rate.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

4 Thank Lanham1
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Lanham1,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback and want to offer my sincere apologies for any inconveniences you experienced. As already mentioned in an email to you, I would appreciate if you could reach out to me personally in order to give us the opportunity to have a closer look at some issues you are describing.

I am looking forward to hear back from you soon!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I’d like to say Thank You to ALL the employees at this Hilton for making my first visit to your hotel one my most enjoyable, equal to if not better than my weeks stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Village.

From the moment I arrived to my departure everything exceeded my expectations, and as a diamond member for over 15+ years I have enjoyed the privilege of this status and its perks. I have much to write about this so I’ll attempt to do this in the minimal amount of words….
I arrive mid-afternoon on 5/12/14 to check in and am greeted with the biggest smile and warmest greeting (Emma?). After my name populates in their system the gal sincerely apologizes and asks me if I wouldn’t mind walking over to the concierge (12 steps away) where I will receive "personal" attention...NIIIICE! The concierge greets me very professionally and says “Mr. Smith, I see when you made your reservation you requested to stay room 521, this is a very nice room on the executive level with a beautiful oceanfront view and we’ll be delighted to check you into this room. Please let me know if there’s anything I can assist you with during your stay here with us, Thank you!”. He then proceeds to tell me the executive level lounge location, what is all available to me, and again ends with “Please let me know if there’s anything we can do during your stay”. I get up to the room, it is the BOMB!

Fast forward to Bleghs Bar to decompress… I ask the sweetest bartender (Rochlayna) to “make me a drink that's indigenous to the island, I’m leaving it up to you” Rochlayna scores a perfect 10! I stayed there 4n/5d and ALL the many associates I interacted with were just great, ALWAYS asking “Mr. Smith, how are you enjoying your stay?” Here is just one example of over the top service …I go shopping and leave my credit card at the retailer, but I thought I had lost on the hotel grounds. A hotel employee notices me rummaging thru a garbage can on the grounds and inquires if I need some help. (My apologies for not remembering everyone’s’ names who helped me w/ this situation but the tropical drinks played a part in this .) I tell him “I think I may have accidently thrown away my c/c, I was shopping earlier today and used this trash to throw away some trash that was in my rental car”. Several other Hilton employees join in the search. After emptying the trash and not finding my c/c, a bigger group assembles including security and a manager, they begin to climb into the trash compactor, I couldn’t let them do this, so I say this isn’t necessary that I have another card I can use and I’ll just report this one lost. If that isn’t going above and beyond I don’t know what is???

Again, thank you Hilton team for a great experience and outstanding job!!!

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are incredible
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank smiteee
Dear smiteee,

First of all I would like to thank you for writing such an extensive review about your hotel stay on Tripadvisor!

I am delighted to read about your experiences and the great times you had at our hotel. We are striving to make all our guests feel welcomed, valued and respected from the first moment they arrive at the hotel. It is a pleasure that these efforts have been recognized and appreciated. I am pleased to be able to pass on your kind words about your warm welcome and your bar experience to Francis and Rochlayna.

We hope to welcome you soon again at the Hilton Curacao to provide you with another unforgettable experience!

Metairie, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

i was denied ability to pay for 3 rooms for 7 days by credit card payment using a credit card application. the reservation person said that the card had to be present. i booked the rooms on expedia and asked the hilton reservation department if i would be reimbursed if early departure happened. the hilton agreed. now they are refusing to refund me.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Sammi F
Dear SamsonFisher,

Please be informed that we would like to have a closer look at your case in order to handle this appropriately. As already mentioned in my personal email to you, I would appreciate if you could reach out to me personally, in order to find a suitable solution.

I hope to hear back from you soon!

santa monica, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

the front desk staff was good, the view was great. the fitness center is much better than at most hotels. the staff in the executive lounge was very helpful. the security for the parking lot is good and the overall vibe is nice

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Timothy J
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Timothy J,

Thank you for sharing your impressions of our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am delighted to read that you were entirely satisfied with your stay at our hotel. I want to thank you for complimenting our staff and am glad to be able to pass this feedback on to them. It is great that you enjoyed the overall atmosphere at our hotel.

We hope to welcome you back soon at the Hilton Curacao!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I booked to stay at the Hilton Curacao this Easter using my Honours points and was not expecting it to be as good as the other Hilton resorts we have stayed in based on the mixed reviews and the fact it is only category 4 on points. I have however been really surprised as it only needs a few more improvements and it will be up there with the rest. The bar areas are very comfortable and the rooms clean and an average size with very comfortable beds.The pool filter was broken on our first day but it was fixed quickly and the pool became a lot cleaner. The garden area was looking a bit messy but again the gardeners appeared on day 2 to tidy things up.
Just a few tips for management as they seem to read the reviews...
Can the beach bar include freshly BBQ'd food at lunchtime?
The beach area by the infinity pool would be a perfect spot for daybeds or gazebos to watch the sunset or shelter from the heat.....and can you get padded sun loungers as the plastic ones are a bit uncomfortable!
The cold bar for yogurts and meats at breakfast needs to be more substantial as the food warms up in the heat even at breakfast time.
That round brown sofa in reception is very tired and tatty when you first walk in but is a great meeting spot!!
All in all a great hotel for the points and Curacao is a wonderful place to visit. We sadly leave in 3 days but would definitely return.

Room Tip: High floor and ocean view is a must!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Elean0r174
Dear Elean0r174,

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is great to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations. As we just recently completed the renovations of our rooms, it is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed the design and facilities.

As we are continuously trying to enhance the service we provide, we regard online reviews as a great source for feedback from our guests. I am glad to be able to inform you that the renovation of our Beach Bar area is already in planning. Please be assured that your suggestions will be taken into consideration.

We hope to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao and surprise you with some enhancements we made until then!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!