“Good value (points) and great service”
Review of Hilton Curacao

Hilton Curacao
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed in early April and were impressed with the service at the hotel. The people who worked there went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. We had access to the Executive Lounge, and every morning the people who worked the lounge helped us put together tours / day trips. The breakfast was a perfect continental (pastries, coffee / cappuccino machine, yogurt and cereal). The view from there was fantastic - and a great place for afternoon cocktails (½ price compared to the bar on the beach). Speaking on the bars on the beach - we spent a lot of time there! Ruwella (at the bar closer to the pool) made the best raspberry daiquiri - and lots of cold beer on hand. The grounds of the hotel were fantastic, and they really keep it clean and beautiful. Its about a 3 mile walk to town - which we did one day. Some of the smells of the raw sewerage is really offensive. In the town, we preferred the Renaissance center with shops and restaurants (it was very clean). We tried the restaurants on the waterfront once, and enjoyed it, but spent most of the time at the resort. The italian restaurant there was very good - and again service was impeccable. We don't usually travel to the Caribbean (spend most holidays in Europe), but wanted a nice vacation where we could just relax, sit by the pool and do nothing. This was a great location for it. There are things to do if you want, but we choose to lounge by the pool, the beach, wander around the island (took a private tour - only recommendation is to confirm the time frame and price before hand ... We felt a little taken advantage of, but it was our fault for not being clear on what we wanted). Overall, I highly recommend this Hilton!

Room Tip: We did not have a "beach view" and I was glad. We had it in the exec lounge, and I thought...
1  Thank 289suellens
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear 289suellens,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your impressions of your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a delight to read about your stay and the positive comments you are making. Thank you for complimenting our team on the great service they provided you with. I will be glad to pass on your feedback, specifically to Ruwella. I am glad that you enjoyed the culinary choices we offer and appreciated the beauty of our grounds.

I thank you for recommending our hotel and hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao for another relaxing vacation in the near future!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Wasn't sure what to expect, but we enjoyed our stay. Definitely worth having an ocean view - we were on the 4th floor. Yeah for the private balcony! The hotel is old, but in a great location (if you're looking for fancy, you should go elsewhere). We liked that the hotel was not in a prime/busy area, so there was not a lot of beach traffic. Great snorkeling. The beach was well maintained, and the staff worked hard to keep the property picked up. The beach huts need to have a couple of nails in the poles, so you can hang up your bags/towels etc. Lots of places to sit - either on the beach, around the shore or at the pool. Didn't use the hot tub - it seemed dirty. The beds were comfortable, but the pillows should be replaced. Towels (both room & beach) were huge! Face cloths were in short supply. Rain-fall shower head should have an extension, so you can enjoy it (too short and too close to the wall). Housekeeping (on our floor) was done by 10;00 am. The food at the bar was good; maybe a little expensive. The breakfast buffet was good, offering a wide assortment of hot food, fruit, cold cereal & pastry. The store/cafe on site was too expensive (almost $4 for a can of ice tea!). We looked for ice cream, but couldn't find any available. Events at the hotel were not advertised very well. Free shuttle to Willemstad was handy. Cabs are expensive - rent a car for a couple of days - it's not difficult to navigate the island. I find it unacceptable that wireless internet connection is not included - it was available for $63/week (although it was nice to be disconnected for the week). All staff that we interacted with was friendly & helpful. Didn't use the kids pool, gym, tennis courts or mini-golf. Enjoyed our stay, and would return here.

Room Tip: 3rd floor or higher with an ocean view!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank C W

Dear C W,

Thank you for taking your time to write a detailed review about our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for complimenting the location and facilities of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our culinary offers at the hotel. I agree with you in improving the communication of events at our hotel and the availability of ice cream. In fact we are already selling ice cream at our beach bar and am currently implementing it as well in our Corner Shop.

I also thank you for your other suggestions for improvement. It is great to hear that the efforts of our staff in keeping our grounds well and making every guest’s stay a pleasant one are appreciated.

We will gladly accommodate you again at the Hilton Curacao during your next trip!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed at the Hilton Curacao from April 12-19 2014 using Hilton Honors Points. For our 7 night stay we used 238,000 Hilton Honors points. As Hilton Diamond members, we had a room on the Executive Floor (5) and had use of the small Executive Lounge. The Lounge provides a continental breakfast + bacon and hard boiled eggs, and offers complimentary coffee, cappuccino, and soft drinks throughout the day. A small selection of hot and cold hors’doeuvres were served each night. Beer and wine were available for half the cost of the bar ($3 vs. $6). The Lounge faces the beach and is a great place from which to watch the sunset. The Lounge had a Diet Coke shortage while we were there, but Kareen was able to locate some for us. She offered a lot of travel information to guests and is provided superior customer service throughout our stay.

The hotel was built in the 60’s and is still decorated in a 60’s vibe. There is a glass elevator facing the beach which allows for fantastic views. We ate at both the Internet Café (free internet!) and at the bar restaurant. The food was overpriced at the bar and mediocre to average at both. Hilton Gold and Diamond members can enjoy a continental breakfast in the large Aqua restaurant and may upgrade to an American breakfast of bacon, sausage, potatoes, and made-to-order omelets for $6. We learned of this from another guest several days into our stay but should have been informed upon our arrival. There is a 30% discounted drinks happy hour at the main bar which was very nice.

The Beach
There are two small beaches with calm waters and amazing snorkeling. We had no problem finding chairs or shade. We saw scores of interesting birds and some very cool lizards including a large iguana. There are snorkels and masks for rent, but bring yours if you have them. Kayaking and scuba is available. We have snorkeled in Jamaica, Mexico, the Bahamas, Croatia and the Dominican and have never seen so many different species of fish. Quite amazing. We took a refresher dive course at the on-site dive shop with JJ which was thorough and really enjoyable. We saw tons of fish, a couple of eels, and even followed a sea turtle underwater for about 200 yards! There is a huge supply of sea glass near the first stone stairway for those of you who like to collect it. We brought home a lot! The weather was perfect during our entire stay. No rain. Curacao is very windy so it is easy to remain comfortable for many hours under the hot sun.

The Pool
The infinity pool was warm and inviting. There is a nice shallow end for kids. The Jacuzzi is warm- not hot, but sufficiently bubbly.
Willemstad
The Hilton provides two daily shuttles to town. The van only seats about 10, so reserve your spot a day early if you would like to avoid cab fees. We were more interested in snorkeling than shopping so we only went into town once.

The Room
The room was okay. We didn’t sleep well on the king sized bed, although it was comfortable enough to watch TV from. The toiletries were not replaced often enough and we did have to call for washcloths on several days. There was a large dresser and a small closet which contained a vault. The balcony was spacious. One issue to report is that our clothes and luggage smelled musty upon our return home.

The Marriott
The Marriott is a short walk down the beach from the Hilton and is significantly more elegant and upscale than the Hilton. Their pool is stunning and the meals we had in the bar were very good. There are a total of three restaurants and along with a little gift shop serving desserts and gelato. The beach there is very small and rocky though.

The Hilton
We have stayed at dozens of Hiltons and overall, the hotel did not live up to the Hilton Quality Standard of luxury and service. The majority of employees seemed uninformed and indifferent to providing even basic customer service. We were frequently ignored by the bar and restaurant staff. The concierge and front desk staff were friendly, but other guests mentioned that the staff was unable to provide answers to basic questions about hotel amenities. Management needs to raise expectations so that all of the staff provides the same excellent service offered by the Executive Lounge team.

Overall it was a good value for us staying on points with executive room and lounge access.

Here is a picture slideshow of our trip:

Room Tip: Getting access to the executive lounge will greatly enhance your stay at the Hilton Curacao.
3  Thank Michael B

Dear Debmike,

Thank you for your extensive review about your hotel stay on Tripadvisor!

It is great to hear that you liked our Executive Lounge and the service you were provided with there. I am glad to share your positive feedback with Kareen. I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel property and the activities offered on our grounds.

It is a pity that the overall service quality you were provided with did not match your expectations. I appreciate your feedback in terms of communication issues you experienced, and am pleased to inform you that this matter is being improved.

Thank you for sharing this nice video with us and the community; it gives great impressions of your stay on Curacao and at our hotel.

We hope to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao to exceed your expectations next time!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at Hilton Curacao in December 2013.
After a couple of days on our stay in a room on the second floor, we have been bitten by some bugs. We discovered bite marks in the morning – red and itching. The next morning there were more bite marks on our bodies, and the morning after the third night we had more fresh bite marks. We didn’t experience any bites during the day.
It was obvious to us that there were some bugs (bed bugs?) in our sheets – we think that they had been brought to our room with a set of new bed linens by room service.
One more observation to this: the rooms at the end of hallways on the second and third floor with ice vending machines were extremely messy and filthy.
We requested a room change at front desk and our request has been quickly granted – we received and moved to new room on the third floor. The situation improved – there were no more bites.
But the bite marks we already had caused a huge discomfort to us – strong itching and strong urge to scratch. The hotel, front desk did not provide any assistance with medicine to ease our suffering. We drove to the city and purchased Cortisone ointment and anti-allergic medication.
The whole biting incident destroyed our vacation. We had these bite marks after returning home for a longer time and we had to refrain from scratching to prevent any infection. We are including some pictures of the bite marks.

Room Tip: Rooms with odd numbers are ocean side.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Valenrod
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Valenrod,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor!

As already brought to your attention in private email exchange, we investigated your hotel room further. As stated in the report sent to you, an official pest control company thoroughly inspected the applicable room and could not find any traces of bed bugs.
I am sorry for the discomfort you experienced and that you were not able to fully enjoy your stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This Hotel has a very nice beach and pool. Food Service and Quality need work. I was reminded of a 1950's Holiday Inn. We had requested Chilled wine in room upon arrival. Two days later it still had not arrived. The executive lounge is like a teachers lounge in a public school in the US.....plain tile floors and metal chairs.....no attempt at ambiance. We checked out and moved down the beach to a far nicer hotel with a lower rack rate.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
4  Thank Lanham1
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Lanham1,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback and want to offer my sincere apologies for any inconveniences you experienced. As already mentioned in an email to you, I would appreciate if you could reach out to me personally in order to give us the opportunity to have a closer look at some issues you are describing.

I am looking forward to hear back from you soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I’d like to say Thank You to ALL the employees at this Hilton for making my first visit to your hotel one my most enjoyable, equal to if not better than my weeks stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Village.

From the moment I arrived to my departure everything exceeded my expectations, and as a diamond member for over 15+ years I have enjoyed the privilege of this status and its perks. I have much to write about this so I’ll attempt to do this in the minimal amount of words….
I arrive mid-afternoon on 5/12/14 to check in and am greeted with the biggest smile and warmest greeting (Emma?). After my name populates in their system the gal sincerely apologizes and asks me if I wouldn’t mind walking over to the concierge (12 steps away) where I will receive "personal" attention...NIIIICE! The concierge greets me very professionally and says “Mr. Smith, I see when you made your reservation you requested to stay room 521, this is a very nice room on the executive level with a beautiful oceanfront view and we’ll be delighted to check you into this room. Please let me know if there’s anything I can assist you with during your stay here with us, Thank you!”. He then proceeds to tell me the executive level lounge location, what is all available to me, and again ends with “Please let me know if there’s anything we can do during your stay”. I get up to the room, it is the BOMB!

Fast forward to Bleghs Bar to decompress… I ask the sweetest bartender (Rochlayna) to “make me a drink that's indigenous to the island, I’m leaving it up to you” Rochlayna scores a perfect 10! I stayed there 4n/5d and ALL the many associates I interacted with were just great, ALWAYS asking “Mr. Smith, how are you enjoying your stay?” Here is just one example of over the top service …I go shopping and leave my credit card at the retailer, but I thought I had lost on the hotel grounds. A hotel employee notices me rummaging thru a garbage can on the grounds and inquires if I need some help. (My apologies for not remembering everyone’s’ names who helped me w/ this situation but the tropical drinks played a part in this .) I tell him “I think I may have accidently thrown away my c/c, I was shopping earlier today and used this trash to throw away some trash that was in my rental car”. Several other Hilton employees join in the search. After emptying the trash and not finding my c/c, a bigger group assembles including security and a manager, they begin to climb into the trash compactor, I couldn’t let them do this, so I say this isn’t necessary that I have another card I can use and I’ll just report this one lost. If that isn’t going above and beyond I don’t know what is???

Again, thank you Hilton team for a great experience and outstanding job!!!

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are incredible
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank smiteee

Dear smiteee,

First of all I would like to thank you for writing such an extensive review about your hotel stay on Tripadvisor!

I am delighted to read about your experiences and the great times you had at our hotel. We are striving to make all our guests feel welcomed, valued and respected from the first moment they arrive at the hotel. It is a pleasure that these efforts have been recognized and appreciated. I am pleased to be able to pass on your kind words about your warm welcome and your bar experience to Francis and Rochlayna.

We hope to welcome you soon again at the Hilton Curacao to provide you with another unforgettable experience!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

i was denied ability to pay for 3 rooms for 7 days by credit card payment using a credit card application. the reservation person said that the card had to be present. i booked the rooms on expedia and asked the hilton reservation department if i would be reimbursed if early departure happened. the hilton agreed. now they are refusing to refund me.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank SammiJon W

Dear SamsonFisher,

Please be informed that we would like to have a closer look at your case in order to handle this appropriately. As already mentioned in my personal email to you, I would appreciate if you could reach out to me personally, in order to find a suitable solution.

I hope to hear back from you soon!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Resort
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Re...
#1 of 1 in Dorp Sint Michiel
Papagayo Beach Resort
Papagayo Beach Resort
#9 of 32 in Willemstad
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!