“Great location, great staff, great hotel, great view”
Review of Hilton Curacao

Hilton Curacao
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Greensboro,Nc
“Great location, great staff, great hotel, great view”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was a little concerned when I read some of the previous reviews, but my husband and I really thought this hotel was great. We travel at least once a year to either Europe or Asia, in addition to our annual trip to a different Caribbean island. Our criteria for a hotel is safety and cleanliness first, then location, and reputation, so here is my feedback on the Hilton Curacao:
1. Safety: We rented a car at the Curacao airport, drove everywhere and never felt unsafe anywhere. The entrance to our hotel was even gated for anyone who is still worried about safety.
2. Cleanliness: Our room was spotlessly cleaned every day by the wonderfully friendly housekeeping staff - especially Saida!
3. Location: Perfect for us because we were only 5 minutes from Otrobanda, the pontoon bridge, and Punda, but not stuck in the traffic of a downtown hotel location. And, being in Piscadera Bay area, we were closer to driving to the best snorkeling beaches going towards Westpunt BTW, I recommend Playa Lagun, Playa Jeremi, Kleine Knip, and Grote Knip for the free beaches. Get good directions from Francis at the Concierge desk.
But if you want an excellent PADI diving instructor, go the Twin Divers (twin-divers.com) which is located right next to Sea Side Terrace Restaurant (good place to eat) just before you get to Breezes Resort - ask for Mark (GREAT GUY!!)
4. Reputation: Hiltons are generally a safe choice with a certain level of quality and this one surpassed even those as a great hotel. Why? Hopefully by my notes below will explain:
a. Fiona at the front desk, who is as nice as she is lovely (my husband called her beautiful too), was able to give us a renovated room with a FANTASTIC view facing the beach when we checked in (glad it was a Tuesday and not the weekend). The sunset was so spectacular in the evening that we had a glass of wine in our room watching it set every night before we went out to dinner. Tip: Buy a bottle at the duty-free shop at the airport when you arrive or buy some at the Centrum Supermarket to keep in your room for your sunset toast together :)
b. The infinity pool is so relaxing, the landscaping lovely, the beach has nice sand, the water was clear, the breakfast buffet (Adrianna at the front is very friendly) and dinners (different theme every night) at the hotel were excellent. And, they even have music every Wednesday and Friday evening in the bar near the restaurant.
c. Last, but not least, the concierge (Francis) or bell desk (Swen) can answer ANY question that you have (or find out for you very fast). Their ideas, suggestions, directions, etc. were always good, their smiles warm, and Swen remembered our names to greet us everyday - how sweet. Francis helped me to find Landuis Habaai, which is a very good art gallery with a great gift shop for buying something of quality to take home. I hugged both Francis & Swen goodbye and promised to come back next year!
Last tip that I got from a local: If you are in Curacao on the second Saturday of the month, go to the "marshe di artesania", the only real handcraft market in Curacao to buy wonderful well-made, very reasonable, local crafts to take home - look for Unique Creation Curacao by Josette there :)

Room Tip: See my tips above
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank baoz
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear baoz,

Thank you for your extensive feedback on your vacation at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am delighted that you were fully satisfied with your stay and am pleased to read about your many positive comments. Thank you for highlighting our location, our grounds and facilities and cleanliness of rooms. I also want to use the moment to inform you that we have a dive school directly on property as well, offering excellent services. It is a pleasure that we could exceed the expectations you have of a Hilton hotel. Please be assured that I will share your kind words with Saida, Adrienne, Francis and Swen with them.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao in the future!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I read a lot of reviews before we decided to stay at the Hilton Curacao for 8 nights last month. We had reasonable expectations based on the research we had done. We expected the hotel to be a little run down and the restaurants to be a bit on the expensive side. Not a big deal to us since we felt that the location was perfect. Things went well the first couple of days. The hotel room was clean and the ocean view from our 4th room was amazing!

We avoided eating at the Hilton as much as possible due to the high price ($19.50 US for a flat bread pizza that was tiny!) and frankly the food had no taste. Also, the service at both of the bars was ridiculously slow for both food and drink orders. We decided to eat at the Marriott one night for dinner and that's when we saw what a mistake we'd made booking the Hilton over the Marriott. Not only was the Marriott's grounds and hotel way nicer, but the food and service there was top notch!!!! We ended up eating at the Emerald Lounge our last 3 nights. The food was awesome and reasonably priced for what you were getting, but the best part were the bartender and servers!! Nadim (our bartender), Ryan (supervisor) and Iwan (server) were so personable and friendly. They remembered our names when we came back the second night and we got to know each of them. I couldn't tell you the name of one server at the bar at the Hilton where we had happy hour every night of our trip.

Despite the fact that we were very turned off by the service at the Hilton there were a couple of positives that we took away from our stay. The pool and beach area were very nice and although the pool was old it appeared to be well maintained. After a front desk worker was unable to give us directions to Sea Aquarium Beach and the Curacao Distillery (kind of big tourist spots on the small island) she did direct us to another worker named Eduardo. He was extremely friendly and helpful. If you're an animal person there was a stray cat that roamed the beach and bar areas. For a stray she was very gentle and friendly so I looked forward to playing with her every day. The sunsets from our balcony were beyond amazing which leads to the final straw as far as poor service.

On our last day we had been in Willemstad all morning and spent the afternoon swimming at our the beach at the Hilton. We then planned to watch the sunset from our balcony. At 6:04pm per my huband's watch we decided to grab some drinks at the bar (happy hour starts at 6:00pm every day). We orderd 2 beers each so we could enjoy them as we watched the sunset from our bacony. After the server gave us our drinks my husband was told happy hour starts in 3 minutes. Really??? At that point we just looked at her like you've got to be kidding. We took our drinks and went upstairs to watch the sunset. Why bother even saying anything at that point. After the sunset we finished our evening with another fantastic meal at the Marriott!

If we do go back to Curacao we we not even consider staying anywhere but the Marriott!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy S
Dear Cathy S,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am delighted that you enjoyed our pool and beach area and noted the hard work we are putting in keeping our grounds well maintained. I am also pleased to share your positive comment with Eduardo. Please accept my sincerest excuses for the fact that your expectations were not fully met and we did not live up to our standards. You can rest assured that I will share your feedback with the concerning departments in order take the appropriate action.

I hope you will reconsider to choose for our hotel during your next visit to Curacao!

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 5 May 2014

A good hotel for your vacation on Curacao. I used the Concierge desk a few times and got excellent service from the fantastic service minded guy Francis. While in the Executive lounge I was always greeted with a smile and a great talk from Kareen. At the lobby bar/restaurant the waitress Luc gave us excellent service and always with a smile. These employees are the reason to why my stay became a memorable one. Thank you all for a great time!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Philip G
Dear Philip G,

Thank you for sharing these rewarding words about your vacation at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am delighted to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay. It is a pleasure to share your compliments with Francis, Kareen, and Luc.

We will be glad to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao!

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A nice hotel with good and clean rooms. Service was excellent, especially the Concierge service and the fantastic service minded Francis. Two other employees that stood out in a good way was Kareen and Luc, always happy and very serviceminded. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Mattias W,

Thank you for rating your vacation at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay very much. Thank you for particularly pointing out the service-mindedness of our team. It is a pleasure to share your kind words with Francis, Kareen and Luz.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao in the future!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed for 9 nights in the Hilton. Very good service, delicious breakfast, overall very clean. The small beach at the hotel is just perfect. Nice food at the bar. Not cheap! Buy some fishfood at the dive shop and then go snorkeling. The building maybe is old but everything works perfectly. We had a renovated room.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Daphne87Holland,

Thank you for sharing the impressions of your stay on Tripadvisor!

I am glad that you enjoyed your vacation at our hotel. Thank you for complimenting our service and facilities and our culinary offers. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the new design of our rooms. It is a pleasure to point out that all of our rooms have been recently renovated. Besides our small beach in our main hotel area, we have a second private beach on property.

We hope to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 May 2014

It took me time to decide which property to go to when we decided to travel to Curacao.
Hearing about the recent rooms renovation, the replies on each post from the General Manager and being a Hilton loyal customer made of the Hilton our pick.
Overall we had a fantastic time at the resort. Loved the design of the new rooms, loved the food in the italian restaurant and good breakfast spread. We enjoyed the gym and the 2 beaches everyday. Staff is very pleasant too. We upgraded to an Ocean view room and did not regret it. We will definitely come back to Curacao and Hilton.The island was way above our expectations. Great beaches, good restaurants and as they say on the island...dushi hende :-)

Room Tip: Pay extra and treat yourself to an Ocean view room
Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Globetrotter20074,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking your time to share your impressions of your vacation on Tripadvisor!

It is a delight to read that you were fully satisfied with your stay at our hotel. As we indeed just completed our renovations recently, it is a pleasure to read that this has been recognized and that the new design was to your liking. I regard guest feedback as an important source for finding out about guest expectations and needs and identify areas of improvement.

We will be more than glad to accommodate you again at the Hilton Curacao during your next stay on dushi korsou!

Warsaw, Indiana
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in many Hilton's and this one is no exception to the great people and amenities that this hotel chain offers. Being a gold member I always appreciate de executive lounge with my family. I was disappointed with the curaçao hilton executive lounge. Same menu every day and it was not an all day service like it is in others.

BUT that was jus a minor setback for a good service overall. People are kind and always have a smile. The two beaches offer variety and they are great for relaxing or just having fun swimming or snorkeling. There is a kiddie pool for the smaller ones and we enjoyed it.

The bitterballen were amazing and the food was very good. Service a bit slow. Ocean view is a must because the view is gorgeous.

I would recommend it again

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Juancho D
Dear Juancho D,

Thank you for taking your time to review your stay on Tripadvisor!

It is a pleasure to read that you overall enjoyed your vacation at our hotel. Thank you for complimenting the friendliness of our staff, our kids’ facilities and culinary offers. I appreciate the comments you are making in regards to our Executive Lounge. I am glad to inform you that as of this week we are offering a daily changing menu at the Executive Lounge.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!