“Another tired old Caribbean Resort Hotel”
Review of Hilton Curacao

Hilton Curacao
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Toronto
“Another tired old Caribbean Resort Hotel”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Judging by my room the last major renovation was completed in the early 90's. Since then time and neglect have eroded what could be a nice destination hotel. Infrastructure would be the first place to start then hiring some additional staff. Throughout the 4 days I was there I saw so many instances of bird walking across tables and stealing food from tables and buffets that I did not eat from them afterwards. Uncleared tables sat for too long allowing the birds to feed at will.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

7 Thank Reid C
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Reid C,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a pity to read that we could not fully meet your expectations of your hotel stay! Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced. I am disappointed to read that our recently completed renovations of all our rooms were not to your taste. I thank you for your feedback. It is a valuable asset for us to identify possible areas of improvement.

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nokomis, United States
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Don't waste your timeshare exchanges with this resort, unless you want to end up in a regular hotel unit that could definitely use updating and better job of cleaning. Resort area was very nice and did have alot of facilities you could use. Also a nice location with very scenic views of sea.

3 Thank William K
Dear William K,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay in Curacaol.
Please let me take this opportunity to make you aware of the fact that the timeshare apartments you are referring to in your review are not managed as part of the Hilton Portfolio. Please be assured that the issues you are mentioning will be addressed.

The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Let me start off by saying that my review may be a little biased because this was an extra special vacation for me. My boyfriend proposed the second night of the trip but my first impression of this hotel was very high even up to that point. This hotel was absolutely perfect for my boyfriend (fiancé) and I. It wasn't as big as some of the resorts I have stayed at in the past but that's a big part of why I enjoyed it so much. I loved the retro décor. In fact, the turquoise color of the hotel is my absolute favorite color! We stayed in an ocean front executive suite on the 5th floor and I loved everything about it. The beds were almost too comfortable and it was really hard dragging myself out of bed to watch the sun rise on our huge balcony. And that's the closest thing to a complaint I have about this place.

We had access to the executive lounge which was a great touch. There was a breakfast, snacks and a small dinner set up every day. But the main reason why we loved going to the lounge was because of the ladies who worked in there, especially Kareen. I can't tell you enough how great she was. She offered so many great recommendations and truly felt like family. We went to the lounge several times throughout the day just to check in with her and say hi. Kareen is just one of the employees that really stand out. I'm not sure how the locals in the service industry are trained in Curacao, but the rest of the world should take note. We didn't meet a single unfriendly person the entire vacation. Randolph, the bell boy, was also very helpful when we were trying to put together a day trip to Shete Boka and some of the Westpunt beaches. He arranged the most perfect taxi driver for us and even went out the morning of our excursion to pick us up local beer to put in the cooler he let us borrow for the day. I mean, wow!!! And to top it all off, Randoph called our taxi driver several times throughout the course of the day to check in on us and to make sure we were safe and having a good time.

The hotel grounds are absolutely breath taking. The pictures are impressive but really do nothing to capture the beauty. The grounds are a lot bigger than I expected and everyday we discovered something new. I'm a little upset because on our last day we discovered the second hotel beach, that was truly beautiful. But I can't be too upset about it because we made the most of every moment while we were there. You should definitely check out the dive shop that is on the premises and rent some snorkeling gear for a day at the beach. We also took the hotel shuttle to Wiliamstad a couple of times. Be sure to book it early because the shuttle fills up. The shuttle driver, Joyce, was an absolute sweetheart and we looked forward to our talks on the short drive from the hotel to town. I was surprised at how few people would tip the shuttle drivers. If you took a taxi instead it would cost you easily $30, so a few bucks to say thank you really goes a long way.

If you are looking for something cheap or all inclusive, this hotel probably isn't for you. The bar and restaraunts are definitely expensive but there are other options if you don't mind walking or taking a taxi. We went to The Pirate Bay on Reggae Night and while the food was good, the local Reggae band is what made the night so memorable. Look up Uprising Curacao if you are in town and try to catch a show. They are so. so talented and just extremely nice people! We also ate at Plaza Bieu in Wilamstad and I was introduced to iguana and goat meat! Such a cool experience. Curacao is a pretty small island but even though we were only there for a week, I feel like we just barely cracked the surface. We are talking about returning for our honeymoon and spending more time here. I have traveled to several Caribbean islands but this is the only one that really stands out. There is such a unique culture here that really captivates me and leaves an impression on my heart.

Some suggestions: Tip well, explore everything, be silly, meet the locals and ask them for recommendations on food, things to see and local beers to try. Be adventurous!!!

Room Tip: Pay extra to get an executive suite on the 5th floor. The views are amazing and you will have access...
4 Thank nicnacnikki
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear nicnacnikki,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel on Tripadvisor!

Please let me take this opportunity to congratulate you on your recent engagement!
It is a delight to read about your appreciative words when it comes to our staff and the hotel itself. I am pleased that you enjoyed our renovated rooms and the breathtaking views they feature. Thank you also for sharing your great experiences with our staff especially Kareen, Randolph and Joyce. I already personally congratulated them on your positive words. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed our hotel grounds and facilities and the shuttle bus service we offer. Thank you for sharing some great tips about the island with the community!

We would be more than pleased to accommodate you at the Hilton Curacao for your honeymoon – if not for your destination wedding!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014

First - directions from the airport rental car lot - take a right out of the parking lot and just follow the signs to Piscadera - eventually (15 minutes max) you will see the Hilton on the right - you cannot miss it! (I found the directions on the hotel website a little confusing).

Second - my review. Let me start by saying I am a diamond member so I got recognized for that upon checkin and got an ungraded room facing the ocean. I had to wait for my room about an hour (even though I arrived after check-in time) and they comped my drinks at the bar - nice service!

I like the decor of the halls and room - the aqua colors - a little retro like the hotel. The bathroom is a little small but there was a walk-in shower - YEAH - no need to step in and out of a tub. The doors to the room from the hall - well - they should have been changed out when they did the renovation - they are not sound-proof and slam when they are shut so you can hear that up and down the hallway. There is an in-room safe. The AC worked well - keeping us very comfortable. But surprisingly, no notepad and pen in the room to take a note.

The Executive Lounge - well - nice staff but it is not much at all. Not even free alcoholic drinks - just 1/2 price drinks. Good for a small breakfast though.

Didn't eat there but saw the prices were about on-par with normal Hilton prices - so a little overpriced.

The only thing I didn't like at all was the security booth attendants when driving up - wow - they are just rude. I know that they are not Hilton employees but they need some customer service training. Not proper greeting - just a grunt.

Room Tip: you must have an ocean facing room to watch the sunset
3 Thank Chicago Flyer
Dear Chicago Flyer,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a pleasure to read that you overall enjoyed your stay. I am glad that your welcome met your expectations as an HHonors Diamond member and want to apologize at this point for the waiting time before you were able to check-in. It is great that you recognized our recent renovations and the new design was to your liking. Thank you for your feedback in regards to the room doors and amenities provided in the room. Please be assured that your points of improvement are being brought to the attention of the respective departments to take appropriate action.

We hope to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao!

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotel location and the 2 beaches was nice. It was not overcrowded when we arrived in early 2nd week of January. There was some Interesting history at the hotel and on the island and location allowed us to access the old city and tour the island including Mont St Christopher and climbing to the top was a family adventure in itself ( rock climbing for the top 1/3 in case you are not warned!) . The hotel resort definitely needs some major upgrades to become world class but it has the real potential once it has been upgraded . I must admit there are a lot of birds hanging out for breakfast as I recall others commenting in trip advisor as the birds flew around the tables eating at tables during breakfast but than again all resort hotels have these issues from Peter Island, Caneel Bay, St. Kitts, etc, etc, etc,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MARTINRAYC
Dear MARTINRAYC,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor!

I am glad that you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel and recognized the historic backgrounds of our grounds – the old Piscadera fort. It is a pleasure to inform you that our hotel will undergo further improvements in the near future to exploit our full potential, as you mention.

We are looking forward to welcome you again the Hilton Curacao in the future and surprise you with the positive changes we made by then!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here witih 4 friend in November 2012 (I know...a little late in my review so please keep this with a grain of salt as more recent posts may have more recent info) but wanted to post my experience as there were some posisives that won't change.

We were here right when they were starting to open up the new rooms, so we stayed in both the old rooms for a few days and then moved to the new rooms when they were done. The new rooms were such an improvement and worth the wait. The views from the higer floors were great and it's worth it to pay for the ocean view vs the mountain view (and we had both views). Our favorite thing was to sit on the balcony with a drink and enjoy the sunset and water. The hotel is older but now that it's 2014, it should be all done for the new rooms.

The Pros: the exec level happy hour was really nice. We were lucky and got to enjoy it outdoors during the rennovation which was really nice. I heard they were moving it back indoors, which would be sad. I would encourage keeping it out on the doc as it was really nice to be outside. The beach was really nice and private and plenty of lounge chairs to relax on and the staff was friendly and did the best they could to help when needed. The scuba center was friendly, helpful and easy to book with. They were quite popular as many guets pre-booked before arriving, so if you are interested in diving with them, consider pre-booking to save your space as the trips I wanted to take were already sold out when I went on my 2nd day to sign up. The fitness center was also large. It has A/C, but it was hit or miss to actually work (again...maybe it does since rennovations were complete). I think there were 2-3 pools which were a nice break from the ocean and again, lots of chairs.

The Cons: the breakfast was pretty dreadful. Even though there was a lot of food, it was very picked over all the time, not kept fresh and service was slow. It was very hard to get a cup of coffee. The bar service was slow as well. We didn't eat any dinners here as we wanted to explore elsewhere and weren't impressed with any of the food we had so far. The location was fairly far from everything else. Even though they had a shuttle, it still was an expensive taxi if you wanted to go to town for dinner.

If you wanted to go to a hotel, sit there and stay on sit, this is a nice place to be and you really could enjoy yourself and take advantage of the free shuttle (even for the way to dinner) and then taxi back one way. We didn't rent a car, but this would have helped if you don't mind driving in another country.

The price was affordable, but I think it was heavily discounted due to the noise and construction when we were there in November 2012.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 13_Meg
Dear 13_Meg,

Thank you for reviewing your hotel stay on Tripadvisor!

I am glad that you overall enjoyed your stay, even though it has been during renovations and was quite a while ago. Thank you for complimenting the new design of our renovated rooms and the views our rooms feature. It is great that you enjoyed the beaches and pool area at our hotel and had positive experiences with the service provided by our staff.
It is a pleasure to inform you that A/C problems in the gym have in fact been handled by now. Furthermore we have recently reviewed our food offerings at the hotel. Indeed did our Executive Lounge move inside again, but is now featuring the best sunset views in a relaxed and modern atmosphere.

We will be glad to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao to provide you with an even better experience now after the renovations!

Ribeirao Preto, SP
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel exceeded my expectations. Very good rooms, very quality food, services. I dont agree with some of the reviews Ive read, complaining about de service quality. Very recommended. The two private beachs are fantastics.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Ricardo_P-RP
Dear Ricardo_P-RP,

Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a pleasure to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us. I am delighted that my team was able to exceed your expectations. Thank you also for complimenting our newly renovated rooms and hotel facilities such as beaches.

We are looking forward to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Resort
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Re...
#1 of 1 in Dorp Sint Michiel
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!