This is our favorite hotel in the Caribbean, mostly for the location and the relaxed atmosphere. The hotel was very recently renovated, but neither extensively nor thoroughly.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the safes are a good size, and every room has a large balcony. Each room has a cordless phone on the desk, but most of them do not work (the batteries died years ago and won't hold a charge). There is a wired phone next to or in between the beds, and most of these do work, but some have problems (no one can hear you, etc.) The AC in some rooms can't get the room as cold as you may prefer, but it will keep the room cool. The beds are average, with many suffering from over-worn mattresses (but this is so common as to be expected).
The breakfast buffet is extensive, with friendly staff preparing custom eggs as you like them (including omelettes), fresh papaya as well as the usual melon, plus salad, olives, cheese, cold cuts, endless pork products, potato, egg, mushroom, tomato, fresh waffles, and sweet pastries and breads. Being open-air, you will have to contend with strong breezes, and fight off the birds and insects while eating breakfast.
There is an Italian restaurant open for lunch and dinner, but the prices are quite high and it is rare to see anyone eat there. An outdoor bar serves food at less exorbitant prices. You can get the food to go and eat it in your room if you want to avoid the smokers.
The staff are always friendly and helpful. The hotel is relaxed. No one cares if you walk through the lobby barefoot or shirtless (which people do to get to or from the beach or pool). The Marriott a short walk away is much larger and has a fancier pool and more extensive food offerings, but is stuffy, with signs banning bare feet from the lobby (even though it is right at the beach and open-air).
The Hilton Curaçao has a large main pool, a smaller infinity pool, and a shallow pool for children. However, the main pool is often packed with kids. There is a sandy beach on the Caribbean Sea, which is calm and warm. There are also steps into the water behind the pool. There is a pier from which dive and snorkel tours depart, and many people snorkel right at the hotel. About 50 meters offshore is a broken gazebo that used to be connected by pier. It is fun to swim out to the gazebo, or even around the back of it (although that can be scary since it's at the edge of the island, and the ocean floor drops away to blackness there).
The hotel grounds are well-kept, and feature a long walkway above the beach, rocks to climb or sit on, manicured shrubbery, a miniature golf course, a parrot, a kiddie train ride, a person-sized chess set, and more.
There is an Executive Lounge for those who booked an Executive room or were upgraded to one or who have Diamond status in Hilton HHonors. It offers a Continental breakfast and evening snacks, but neither is extensive or much of a meal. However, the lounge attendant is super nice and very helpful with suggestions about Curaçao.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in 23 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds and built on an historic 18th century Fort, the Hilton Curacao hotel boasts two private white sand beaches, infinity and freshwater pools and a PADI Gold Palm dive center on the property, and is one of the leading Curacao hotels. Located just ten minutes from Hato International Airport and free shuttle to the center of Willemstad 10 minutes away, the Hilton Curacao is an idyllic Caribbean retreat. A Las Vegas-style casino and LivingWell Health & Beach Club are available on the property, and Guests enjoy immediate access to a range of watersports and Willemstad activities. The Hilton Curacao resort is charming, picturesque and perfectly placed for an active or relaxing visit to the Caribbean. Conferences and events for up to 400 can be easily accommodated in this Curacao hotel's range of event spaces, making it the ideal destination for corporate functions, social events or intimate destination weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Expedia, Hotel.de, Prestigia, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hilton Curacao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Curacao Hotel Willemstad
- Hilton Hotel Willemstad
- Hilton Hotel Curacao
- Hilton Willemstad
- Willemstad Hilton
- Hilton Curacao Willemstad