“Relaxed, comfortable, friendly, but run-down”
Review of Hilton Curacao

Hilton Curacao
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
South Pole
“Relaxed, comfortable, friendly, but run-down”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is our favorite hotel in the Caribbean, mostly for the location and the relaxed atmosphere. The hotel was very recently renovated, but neither extensively nor thoroughly.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the safes are a good size, and every room has a large balcony. Each room has a cordless phone on the desk, but most of them do not work (the batteries died years ago and won't hold a charge). There is a wired phone next to or in between the beds, and most of these do work, but some have problems (no one can hear you, etc.) The AC in some rooms can't get the room as cold as you may prefer, but it will keep the room cool. The beds are average, with many suffering from over-worn mattresses (but this is so common as to be expected).

The breakfast buffet is extensive, with friendly staff preparing custom eggs as you like them (including omelettes), fresh papaya as well as the usual melon, plus salad, olives, cheese, cold cuts, endless pork products, potato, egg, mushroom, tomato, fresh waffles, and sweet pastries and breads. Being open-air, you will have to contend with strong breezes, and fight off the birds and insects while eating breakfast.

There is an Italian restaurant open for lunch and dinner, but the prices are quite high and it is rare to see anyone eat there. An outdoor bar serves food at less exorbitant prices. You can get the food to go and eat it in your room if you want to avoid the smokers.

The staff are always friendly and helpful. The hotel is relaxed. No one cares if you walk through the lobby barefoot or shirtless (which people do to get to or from the beach or pool). The Marriott a short walk away is much larger and has a fancier pool and more extensive food offerings, but is stuffy, with signs banning bare feet from the lobby (even though it is right at the beach and open-air).

The Hilton Curaçao has a large main pool, a smaller infinity pool, and a shallow pool for children. However, the main pool is often packed with kids. There is a sandy beach on the Caribbean Sea, which is calm and warm. There are also steps into the water behind the pool. There is a pier from which dive and snorkel tours depart, and many people snorkel right at the hotel. About 50 meters offshore is a broken gazebo that used to be connected by pier. It is fun to swim out to the gazebo, or even around the back of it (although that can be scary since it's at the edge of the island, and the ocean floor drops away to blackness there).

The hotel grounds are well-kept, and feature a long walkway above the beach, rocks to climb or sit on, manicured shrubbery, a miniature golf course, a parrot, a kiddie train ride, a person-sized chess set, and more.

There is an Executive Lounge for those who booked an Executive room or were upgraded to one or who have Diamond status in Hilton HHonors. It offers a Continental breakfast and evening snacks, but neither is extensive or much of a meal. However, the lounge attendant is super nice and very helpful with suggestions about Curaçao.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms on the beach end (rooms where the middle digit is a 0, as in x0x) are the best. All...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JetBoys
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Dear JetBoys,

Thank you for writing such an extensive review for our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a great pleasure to read that you very much enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I am glad that you enjoy the location and atmosphere of our hotel and like our overall property with its grounds and facilities. Thank you also for complimenting our breakfast and the friendliness of our staff. I am particularly honored to share your positive words with my team from the Executive Lounge and our omelet station. I appreciate your feedback in regards to some improvement points of our hotel. I am glad to inform you that after the renovations of our rooms in the past year we will undergo a more extensive renovation plan which will include also our phones and AC system.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao in the future!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Redwood City, California
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I think the hotel service is very average. Every time you want to order something it takes some time for people to take your order and to bring the things to you. The hotel beach, breakfast and coffee shop are good. The rooms are old but well kept.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank rwurbina
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Dear rwurbina,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am glad that you enjoyed our beach area, the breakfast and coffee shop we offer. It is a pity that some of your expectations of your stay were not fully met. I excuse for the slow pace of service you experienced and can assure you that this has been brought to the attention of our restaurant team already.

We still hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao to fully convince you the next time!

Southlake, United States
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Hotel is old and outdated. Wait staff if poor and non attentive. The water is beautiful The AC on the 5th floor was almost non existent although our friends in lower floors had good AC. Food and service were well below my expectations.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Kirk J
Dear Kirk J,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor!

It is disappointing that we failed to fully meet your expectations of your stay at our hotel. I appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback on your stay with us. Your feedback does in no way reflect the standard we strive to deliver to our customers. It is my pleasure to inform you that after the extensive renovations of our rooms in the past year we will undergo an improvement plan including some of our outlets and the maintenance of our AC. Your remaining comments I have passed on to the respective departments to find possible improvement points.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao and exceed your expectations the following time!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Willemstad hotels

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed there for a week in August and had a wonderfull stay....

We especially loved the swimming pool areas with different heights which provided endles playing options for our kids.

The 2 beaches are also wonderfull since they are pure nice sand (we discovered later that it was quite unique on the island) and a great snorkling spot.... There are so many fishes that my 7 years old son could discover snorkling in the best conditions...They even have kept on purpose an abandonned pier 50 meters away from the beach in the middle of the sea that has been colonized by millions of fishes and that procure great discovery pleasures for the non experienced divers...

Finnally, afer long (and hard) days of playing in the water, we really enjoyed the cielo restaurant live bands to unwind with the brise of the caribeans.... we will come back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Fworco,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor!

I am delighted to read that your whole family enjoyed the stay at our hotel. It is great that our beach and pool areas were to your liking and you and your children could make use of the great snorkeling possibilities off our main beach. Thank you for complimenting our Cielo restaurant and live music entertainment which rounded off your stay.

We will glad to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao for your next family vacation!

Miami, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The service was good/ average but the room is dated and dusty. The bed sheets were stained and the room was a bit smelly. The pool and beach area were nice but the rooms were terrible. I am not a fan of this property.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Carlos R
Dear Carlos R,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor!

It is a pity that we failed to fully meet your expectations of your stay. I am sorry that besides our pool and beach area, our property was not to your liking. I appreciate your feedback in regards to our rooms. All our rooms were renovated in the last year and we work hard on maintaining them well. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. You can rest assured that your feedback has been shared with the management team in order to avoid reoccurrences.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao and convince you of our property sometime in the future!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My spouse and I had a dream to have a destination wedding on a beautiful Caribbean beach. About 11 months prior to the wedding, we started the task of contacting various different venues on the island as we had many questions. By far, the Hilton, and by the Hilton, we mean Jean Carlos, was the most attentive and personable. Eventually, we chose the Hilton for our wedding because of this, as well as the picturesque setting. We were really looking for a hotel that would offer us what we dreamed for our wedding but also a great place for our guests to stay where they would be able to enjoy themselves, this hotel is the total package!

We stayed a total of 5 nights at the Hilton....and wish we could have stayed longer!! Several of our family members who flew in from all over the USA to attend our wedding and all choose to stay at the Hilton as well. Every one of our guests and us were more than satisfied with the Hilton. The staff is very welcoming and warm. This hotel is very well kept up too! You'll see the crew out there early morning cleaning the pools, the chairs and sweeping the decks off! If after a long day day relaxing by the beach at the hotel and you don't feel like getting dressed up to go out to dinner, this hotel has several dinning options at the resort. The food at the bar was very good!

We both feel that everybody went above and beyond to make that day the most special day possible. We felt like we were treated like the president and the first lady. Our wedding was everything we could have hoped for, in the most beautiful place we could hope for. All the effort everybody put in definitely showed. We have no complaints. They did so much for all of our guests who traveled from various locations in the USA. We are thrilled to have had the opportunity to work these folks and are now kind of sad that its over now, haha!

Amaryllis and Ursula were extremely helpful when it came to arranging all of the reservations for our guests. Everybody at the front desk was very friendly and helpful...we especially appreciated Luis' help with a necklace on the wedding day! :) The staff was always willing to give out great restaurant recommendations or even what beaches to check out!

Jean Carlos and his team did everything possible to make sure what we had dreamed of for our wedding was created. He even called us twice on the phone to go over details! Everything from the entertainment, flowers, centerpieces down to the food was amazing. People are still raving about how great the food was at the wedding.

If you are considering having your wedding in Curacao, this is the place to have it! Several of our guests stayed after the wedding and enjoyed themselves at the resort, great place to vacation. We and several other family members looking forward to coming back to the Hilton in Curacao for vacation!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank ASquared_TX
Dear ASquared_TX,

Thank you for taking your time to write such an extensive review of our hotel on Tripadvisor!

Please let me take this moment to congratulate you to your wedding and thank you for choosing to stay with us for this special occasion. It is a great pleasure to read that your stay and your wedding exceeded the expectations of you and your guests. Thank you for complimenting our staff and property. I am delighted to be able to pass on your positive feedback to Jean Carlos, Amaryllis and Ursula and the entire team who contributed to the success of your wedding.

We will be glad to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao, perhaps for your next wedding anniversary!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I just came back from a stay at this hotel 8/8-812 and it was a decent experience, I had never been out of the country before and I learned a lot. This review is about things I wish i had known in advance before going or choosing, some the hotels issue some just general.

First, the charge you an extra $200 for expenses while you will be staying there, i guess this is because they know you will sort of be trapped there if you have no car. I was ok with this but it did throw me off as I was not expecting it.

Two, the way the resorts are set up I really are conducive to going anywhere else. I read reviews of people saying they walked to Pirates Bay or Floris but I really dont see how unless they were walking in the road. Furthermore, the only other resort I even saw a way to get into was the Marriot. I did see a sign for Floris but no entry way. It was because of this I say I was trapped as I was forced to eat at the hilton only because I didnt feel safe exploring trying to figure out a way to get into the other resorts.

This bring me to the food, there are only a few places to eat at the Hilton, sure if you break it down it comes to about 5 or 6 but they all pretty much serve the same thing. I mainly ate at Captain Blights because it was the most convenient being right there but the Beach Bar and Grill a mere few steps away serves the same food. I also noticed that at the Beach Bar and Grill soe of the exact same drinks were $1 cheaper than at Captain Blights, it was baffling. The breakfast at Aqua is $25 bucks and while they had a decent selection is wasnt anything special. The bacon and sausage were undercooked everyday. I ask for fried eggs once and ended up with burned sunny side up. The coffee was quite literally the nastiest coffee I have ever tasted. On my last day I finally used the in room coffee maker and wish I would have done that everyday, much better coffee. If you choose to go a little cheaper and just do continental it hardly seems worth as the cheese they had out had all melted together. I also ate at Cielos once, it was decent pasta but small portion and expensive.

here is my know before you go about the food the expresso bar seems to be much better. I didnt actually go in there until my second to last day and they had a breakfast sandwich for only $10 bucks, i didnt try it but I surely would have gone there every morning instead of Aqua. I also got a cold latte and it was good and only about $6. I also saw they had small lunches. Point is if you want somewhere cheaper than anything else at the hilton go to expresso cafe.

I know people go on vacation for fruity drinks but while tasty, they tasted like smoothie with no alcohol in them whatsoever, I can only imagine how much money would be spent trying to get a buzz from those. I stuck with the house wine for only $6.50 and knew i would at least be getting straight alcohol.

Its a $15 taxi ride into town but if I had known the food was going to be like that (expensive and small) I would have definitely arranged to go into town on my first day to stock up on fruit, snacks and water to survive off of. There is a small grocery story on the Otrabanda side that will do the trick in Willemstad and of course on the Punda side the market.

The shuttle into town fills up fast, because it only seats 11. I got there late friday and ask if I could make a reservation into town on the shuttle for monday and they told me the morning was already taken. So if you plan to use the hotel shuttle definitely book it early. Also, the shuttle is every 4 hours so you have to choose am from 830 to 1230 or 130 to 530. I heard and agree that the morning is best to go into town as things tend to shut down in the afternoon. I listened to my gut and caught a taxi into town b/c i wanted to go to Kura Hulanda Museum and there is no way I would have had time to go to museum and explore in the four hours i had. Also dont let a full booking fool you, when I was waiting to be picked up for the afternoon I counted 10 ppl getting off and in my trip 9. also the shuttle doesnt run on Sundays, but it seems to be fore the best and very little seems to be open on the weekends in Curacao which is another thing I wish I would have known before I went so that I could have arranged/booked differently.

My room was nice, i had an ocean view which was great. I did not notice until the final day that there was a large chunk of glass missing from the table on the balcony. The first thing I noticed in the room was how the shower looked old and new at the same time. I guess new design shoddy works? there were upheaved and cracked tiles.

Room Cleaning was slow on the weekends at they did not clean my room until well after 3pm on sunday. I dont know when they cleaned it on saturday as i was away doing an all day tour with a company. Also room cleaning seemed to be totally on a whim not a set standard. For example, one day I only got two towels the rest of the days I got three. One day I got chocolates, the rest of the days I did not. One day I literally got my things straightened up for me, the rest of the days I did not. One day I got only lotion replaced, the other 2 days I got nothing replaced and 1 day I got a full replace. i guess it just depends on who you get what day but again seems odd no set standing that cleaning service has to follow.

Do not pay attention to anything it says in the books they provide about hotel amenities omg where do I begin. first, the numbers to call are all wrong. In the book it says to dial 6063 to get room service. Let me tell you for 4 DAYS i tried to get room service and never once did anyone ever answer that line. On day 2 I just pressed the button that said room service and asked to order and was almost rudely told that this was the front desk and i needed to call 6064 to get room service from captain blights bar. Well, that didnt work either as they line was ALWAYS busy i tried from 1pm to 1am no lie, always a busy signal. This further complicated things as again I was forced to go down to Captain blights lest i starve to death.

Second thing from the book is those tv channels DO NOT EXIST!! there was no HBO and there were none of the channels listed in the book. It didnt even seem to be the same cable/satellite company as i know by tv was broadcasting something from miami. I was really disappointed as i couldnt find anything and there were only about 15 available channels.

My room seemed to be missing a lamp from one of the side tables. There are no plugs by the bed except behind a night stand on one side so my ipad was sort of difficult to access.

Internet was $65 for 5 days which sucked for me because the Hilton didnt even prorate it as I only used 4 days but it was less expensive than if I would have paid for 4 days but here is another know before you go. I probably could have gotten away with paying for only 2 days b/c as I stated I was gone the entire day saturday on tour, so I could have just bought internet for $14.95 from 6pm saturday which would have lasted me until 6pm sunday and then again waited and paid for Monday morning to Tuesday when I was leaving and I would have only paid $30. If you suspect you will be away all day try to plan for that. Also I saw signs saying the casino had free wifi, point is there is a better way to do wifi than I did and I wish I had known.

Now for the beaches. I dont really know where all these beautiful beaches comments come from with no mention of how rocky it is!! Curacao itself seems to be very rocky and is definitely morning conducive to exploring fish underwater swimming than standing. I actually hurt my foot the first day trying to navigate those rocks. I dont scuba or snorkel or swim, I just wanted to stand in the water walk around and relax and I couldnt as I had to constantly look for rocks so I wouldnt hurt myself again. This was at the beach right in front of the hotel. The other beach down the path something with a P like Pascara or something was equally rocky but here is my know before you go for the beach. Right before you get to P beach there is a small staircase almost entirely covered in sand very easy to miss, I did until my second to last day, well walk down those stairs and there is a small beach that is much much much much i cant emphasize how much less rocky it is there. Small rocks, but nothing big you have to look out for. If you want to just walk around in the water like me go there.

also in reference to weekends, if the island shuts down on weekends the hotels seem to be going strong. It was so crowded on the weekend. There was wedding which played some awful music and loud until about a little after 11pm on saturday, there were flight crews everywhere, If you suspect this will bother you dont book on the ocean view side but i guess that honestly a small price to pay for an ocean view a few hours of inconvenience.

My air conditioning worked great in my room, no complaints there.

"Business Center" odd not a business center at all. Its the budget rental car office and I went in there thinking I could print out something but no dice. no printer.

Eves Boutique is expensive but if you want some flip flops like i needed give it a go. they only sell Havaianas though cheapest pair being $22.

Also, lot so families, lots of couples, I felt rather odd being there solo, but this resort definitely seems to lean more towards the family side, something else I wish I would have known.

Service at the front desk good, cleaning, luck of the draw there, bar, everyone was professional but you can tell some of the bartenders are just pandering for tips, some could give a damn one way or the other they are just doing there job and some who seem to really enjoy talking to the people and providing good service. Cielo the one man who works there is extremely nice. The girl at Aqua front desk in morning, nice as well.

Im hesitant to say whether the hilton was good or bad as for me this entire thing was just a learning experience. Would I stay here again? Probably not as if I am going to be trapped on a resort, I need more and cheaper food options, I would like comp wifi (or at least cheaper), I would like smooth beaches. I was told the way to go on islands is all inclusive so I will be doing that next time.

Overall, I had a good experience I would say, again there is just a lot I learned, a lot I wish I had known and this is why my review is all about knowing before you go so hopefully I can help someone out like me.

Room Tip: I dont know I had an ocean front room on the third floor. It was too hot to sit and watch the sun...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank MikiB7
Dear MikiB7,

Thank you for your very extensive review of your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is great that you overall enjoyed your stay at our hotel and provide future guests to the island and the hotel with such useful tips. I am glad that you enjoyed our renovated rooms with ocean views and our Corner Shop which provides coffee and snacks. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words about the service at our front desk as well as Cielo and Aqua with the respective teams. Please take note that we do offer accessibility stations with internet and printer in our Corner Shop for our guests to use free of charge. Furthermore I would like to clarify that the $200 you are mentioning refer to a deposit which was blocked as a usual practice to cover additional expenses.
I thank you for the number of improvement points you are mentioning and will bring those to the attention of the respective departments.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Blue Bay Curacao
#1 of 1 in Dorp Sint Michiel
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!