My wife and I decided to treat ourselves for our birthdays and visit someplace we'd not yet been. After some months of research and reading hundreds of reviews, we decided on the island of Curacao. At this point I found the Baoase Luxury Resort and was intrigued by its size and all positive reviews, though there were not many compared to other hotels. I sent some e-mails with variuos questions and even called a couple of times and was always greeted warmly and with expeditious responses. The decision was made and we booked our trip for the week of Feb.20-27th.
The resort exceeded anything we expected. The location and beach are like an island on an island. The attention to detail and decor not only was evidenced in the rooms but the entire resort. At times I felt we were more in Micronesia than somewhere off the coast of Venezuela. The collection of artifacts placed all over were nothing short of museum quality pieces and almost always demanded a few moments to stand there and appreciate them. There is no doubt in our minds that a great deal of thought and love went into the choosing.
The "Retaurant" located on the beach, or "Rik's Cafe" as we liked to call it, does an exceptional job with the limitations of not having a huge kitchen. We dined on from Tapas and Toasties to Spiced Red Snapper in a beur blanc sauce that rivaled Le Cirque or Le Bernadine ( we have been to both). Rik Ebben is an extraordinary chef whose individual touch to his creations and yet his humble description of them is an experience in itself. He never feared making anything asked of him as long as he had the ingredients(or some facsimile.LOL i.e Rik's own take on Eggs Benedict- in our eyes better than the original). His brother Ronald runs a tight ship as restaurant and bar manager and was, it seems at times, everywhere at once and always in uplifting humor.
As you can probably tell, we became attached to this place and it's close knit family. Always a smile from Quincy or Sheila at the bar. Always a friendly greeting from Ester. Cassandra at the front desk was enormously helpful..from arranging car rental or snorkeling trip to massages on the beach at sunset (highly recommended).
The day we were leaving was the day after ANOTHER snowstorm back home. We were hoping all flights were cancelled and we'd be forced to endure another day or two in Paradise.
The Resort is intended to be private and serene without the large scale distractions of it's competitors. It captures that effect more than one could hope for. We've added some of our own photos.
And in the words of the great "Terminator".....We'll be back!
P.S. Make sure to say hello to all our friends living in that great town of Bushalte !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ultra-exclusive resort promises to provide an unforgettable experience to guests seeking a peaceful retreat in comfort and style. With 23 extravagant rooms, suites and villas, the resort is the ultimate getaway for luxury seeker. In line with the love of Balinese style, something unique and highly luxurious was created. Different elements were incorporated in the design of the resort such as cool, dark woods and vases, antiques, and other elegant artefacts scattered throughout the property to set off the natural beauty of the surroundings. The resort’s philosophy of barefoot elegance brings luxury back to its essence. Unique are the water basins located at the guest room entrances. They are designed so guests can wash their feet before entering their accommodation which is also a Balinese custom. The ultra-exclusive resort promises to provide an unforgettable experience to guests seeking a peaceful retreat in comfort and style. Baoase distinguishes itself from other luxury resorts in the Caribbean by offering impeccable attention to detail, an unparalleled level of service and- a commitment to creating a unique holiday spot for the world’s most discriminating traveller. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Baoase Luxury Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Baoase Luxury Hotel Willemstad
- Baoase Luxury Resort Curacao/Willemstad