“2nd time around”

Scuba Lodge & Suites
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 25 December 2012

I stayed at the Scuba Lodge last Christmas in both the Lodge and a Villa with my family. Returned this year again because we all had such a great time. The location is ideal. A quick dive on the house reef. Food in house is excellent ... but lots of options nearby too. The hotel rooms in the Lodge have been seriously upgraded. As the photos suggest, the Villas are breath taking. Hearing the ocean waves at night is relaxing and exactly why you travelled thousands of miles to get here. Oh ... and the people. I couldn't imagine being around a nicer, friendlier bunch of Dutch people, who just happen to speak english better than me after a couple of polar beers by the vanishing horizon pool. Yvette at the Scuba Lodge made sure that my family had every whim satisfied.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bensworkingholiday

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Scuba Lodge was amazing. Not your crazy overpriced Sheraton or anything like this which made it the perfect choice for me. IT had a great community feel when you came in and everyone so friendly to each other from guests to those that worked there.

Everyone was extremely helpful and polite and made our stay absolutely perfect. Rooms were clean and simple which to me was all we needed! They are still building up in this section of the town but for us the view was breathtaking and everything rocked. They also own the hotel next door and you can go in the pool over looking the ocean :)

There is a farmacia about a 2 min walk in case you forgot anything. The walk to downtown was 10 min and the floating market.

And trust me --- eat there -- food rocks! order the tommy :) We felt so welcomed immediately as Daan reviewed everything with us and showed us a map and provided well explained information.

Room Tip: won't matter -- you aren't on vacation to sit in your room :)
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Abells5
Reviewed 7 November 2012

My wife and I loved staying at the Scuba Lodge. Our room, while small, was affordable, clean, stylish, and, best of all, overlooked the ocean. This is a renovated group of buildings, so there is a great variety of accommodations; this is not a cookie-cutter hotel. The young staff is friendly and helpful and genuinely seems happy to be there. The restaurant and bar, which overlook the ocean, is nice, as is the infinity pool on site. Plus, it's located an easy walk to the most interesting parts of Willemstad. Finally, they have shore diving and equipment right on site. We can't say enough about this place, especially if you are fairly young (or young at heart, like my wife and I) and are looking for something unique.

Room Tip: They have one small, inexpensive room overlooking the ocean that is above the bar/restaurant. If you...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Edward K
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I went through every listing of the hotels in Curacao, from one end of the island to the other. I struggled with the decision and ended up deciding on Scuba Lodge from the concept of it and the location and a really great price as well. I am very sincerely happy with this decision!

First let me say thank you to the girls Yvette and Romy and Lisanne who made my stay really special with their friendship as well as their efforts to make my stay as great as possible. The booking process was great and very easy and more than was promised was actually given once I got there. (I am still here now actually and return home tomorrow!)

When we arrived the place is small and really nicely done in great Caribbean pastel colors and check in is at the bar which was cool :) Anton gave us our introduction with a run down on the hotel and the area with places to checkout as well as places to avoid. He informed us of everything needed to know from the closest ATM machine to the supermarket and anything else we could possibly need.

We went diving with Daniel who is a six foot seven inch blond Dutchie and adorable as well as patient and thorough and did a great job with me on my first dive experience. I really appreciated his attention as I was nervous and scared.

Tom and Josh are both really fun and hard working as well as attentive and made meals and happy hour great. I cannot say enough about the staff here and the effort they put into making sure that everyone is happy and having a good time.

If you want a giant resort with a spa and all of that then this isn't your place. But honestly, look at my travels and you will see I have stayed in all types of hotels all over the world and will put the Scuba Lodge in my top 5 anywhere. I am not terribly picky but I like things to be clean and service to at least be polite and this place is on another level. The bathrooms are very modern with great showers and sinks and great water pressure and hot water which is not common in the Caribbean.

Do yourself a favor and stay here. The beds are all memory foam and seriously comfortable with great linens as well and the A/C is ice cold which is another huge plus and a very rare in the Caribbean as well.

I really feel like I have made new friends and that can only come from very personal inter-action and again, something you will not get from a large resort.

Oh, and make sure you do the Klein Curacao day trip! But go on the Mermaid NOT the Jonalisa catamaran trip!!! (there are 2 different tour companies) The mermaid is by far much better and offers a lot more features. The sun is BRUTAL so if you burn easily take clothing to cover and a lot of 100!! I am Sicilian and very dark and I burned for the first time in my life!

I LOVE SCUBA LODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU YVETTE AND ROMY AND LISANNE AND DANIEL AND ANTON AND TOM AND JOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and Yvette....wink wink no website listing this time :)

Room Tip: get an apartment! They are amazing!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank Mariah M
Reviewed 12 October 2012

As the name suggests 'Scuba Lodge' this is a Lodge not a Boutique Hotel. Our stay was completely ruined by screaming children in the pool at 6.30am and drills, builders banging around for the whole duration of our stay. We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom apartments which was lovely, great views, spacious, large terrace & well equipped. However the pool was dirty, the gardens scruffy. although there are some 'manmade sandy areas with table and chairs to eat and drink at, there is no beach, just a very rocky foreshore making it very difficult to take a swim in the sea. The staff are friendly and helpful. We did complain about the building work as this was not mentioned when we booked directly with them, ( we wouldn't have booked if we had know), but the manager never came to discuss this with us, so on this point bad customer service. Beware of the 'welcome drink' when you first arrive as you are charged for this ! Breakfast is served in a cool bag, good idea but someone needs to clean the bag from the day before. We had lunch and dinner there which were both good.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank totally1203
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We stayed some days in the apartments, which are renovated traditional houses, and had to transfer to the hotel rooms for two nights because of the high season. The apartments are spectacular, spacious, very close to the pool and the ocean front, although you don´t have a view of the ocean from the yellow apartment, where we stayed. However it is a huge and disappointing contrast to see the small, dingy rooms in the hotel. If you´re expecting a back-paker hostel or hotel, it´s fine, but I think the value for money is just non existent.
Don´t expect a buffet or even traditional breakfast.

Room Tip: Stay in the apartments if you can, not in the hotel rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank andreawwt
Reviewed 3 October 2012

The scuba lodge is a quaint, boutique hotel that is very clean, reasonably priced, conveinently located to the city and has top notch customer service. The rooms are decently sized. The only thing I would change is the fact that there needs to be more amenities. There was no clock, iron or full size mirror in our room. Otherwise, I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone visiting Curacao. It isn't on a major beach but you can take a 5 min walk into town and jump on a bus to some of the most beautiful beaches. Or you can apt to take a stroll through the city and see just how naturally beautiful this island is.

A big thumbs up to Scuba Lodge :)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple