Scuba Lodge & Suites
Avila Beach Hotel(Willemstad)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdive shopbreakfast basketguided divesinfinity poolgreen buildingbbq nightdive staffboutique hoteldive sitesstandard roomdive tripceiling fanoverlooking the oceantwo bedroom apartmentsmall hotelwashing machinewelcome drink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Other reviewers have shared their positive experiences, and I will not repeat the same; rather I will identify some things that made my visit so pleasant.
First, on arrival the young woman at the desk suggested that I set my suitcase down and sit for a few moments on the deck while she graciously provided me with a complimentary frozen drink. This is a nice way (no, the best way) to get the checkin essentials over with.
I am a solo female traveler and have become used to being the only person dining alone in a restaurant, but the staff knew my name and my food and drink preferences by the second day. Even the house cat joined me for breakfast one day, sleeping in the unoccupied chair opposite me.
The tip jar (actually, a converted dive tank) for bar, kitchen and wait staff is very convenient, as is the ability to charge food and drink to the room. I appreciated the laid back approach to signing the bar/restaurant bill, also. If you forget, just look under the rocks by the cash register on your next visit for the one with your name. I like to walk and was pleased to be given maps to locate cafes, shops and beach nearby. Others have described the "breakfast basket", and I will add my plaudits for these small plates and bowls of diverse, tasty breakfast items. My favorite was the croissant which longed to be paired with the small container of "chocolate paste" or Chocoladepasta. Memorable! I, also, like the fact that food is served continuously all day. A small glitch may occur from time to time, but the peaceful setting and helpful staff have me searching my calendar for dates to return to Scuba Lodge.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank nst2
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The lovely staff are able to let you feel as if you are family friends, and also give us guests space to read, drink and snooze in peace.
The hotel rooms are wonderful and comfy. The colourful painted antique house is a joy to behold. We were upstairs in the middle.
We two, grandparents now, relaxed into the lovely and also inviting spaces which included busy breakfast and meals areas, quiet poolside lounges, exciting waves over the parapet and tours for snorkel and scuba diving expeditions. A wonderful place to spend a Xmas away from our usual family get-togethers. Loved my time with Scuba Lodge. I am grateful for the good-natured and efficient young staff, a terrific combo. All senses happy. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: We were happy with our upstairs room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank francesca082
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The Scuba lodge is a fantastic establishment! I stayed with my family in the 2 bedroom suite in the Green building which was decorated beautifully and spotless. MY only quarrel is I reserved an oceanview suite and we received the streetview. When I spoke with the front desk they said they had no record of me booking an oceanview despite it being in the title of my Expedia reservation. Besides that we didn't let it ruin our stay. The food and drinks, though a little pricier, were delicious. The location is superb, on a safe side street just 5 minutes from Willemstad, the floating bridge and the old / new and floating markets. The infinity pool is a nice spot to relax and take in the view. The staff were attentive and friendly, even being as kind as to surprise us with Christmas stockings on Xmas morning with chocolates and cookies. Highly recommend this place, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Green building was awesome - didn't see any of the others.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Shawn S
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Great place to spend you time on Curacao. Restaurant and bar are both great. The place has lots of character and the service is very personal. The guided dives are great and the house reef is excellent as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rhigham1
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

i loved the stay - we were in blue wing and the room was spacey and nice. the surroundings were quite rough but there was a beautiful lounge next door called St Tropez. food in the resort was quite ok. they had same xmas menu for three days which wasnt great for us as we had it in the first night - enjoyed it but it was difficult to find open restaurants for the other night. anyhow - loved it and would love to come back some day!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple