“A perfect place for staying in Curaçao”

Scuba Lodge & Suites
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Winnipeg
“A perfect place for staying in Curaçao”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Out of many hotels I've stayed in my life, this is definitely one of the best.

To begin with, it feels like every staff member cares, rather than simply doing his/her job.
Hotel design is modern and efficient. Faucets, doors, handles, linen, lamps, reception area, etc. - almost everything is top quality and in perfect condition, more likely to be found only in the best Vegas hotels. The rustic paint in the bathroom may appear dirty but this just part of design, it's all in fact very clean. One exception - AC in the room didn't produce cool air, but we rarely use AC anyway, and we simply mentioned that at the checkout. We enjoyed Hawaii-style sleep in natural air draft, with sound of crashing waves on the beach.

Hotel grounds are very small, but once again, well organized and maintained. Restaurant tables are arranged by the water; sitting there is very relaxing and vacation-like.

And, finally, the breakfast in a basket - both food and experience. It's a bit pricey, but comparing to standard Sheraton offering it's way better quality and worth trying at least once.
Summarizing, I would highly recommend Scuba Lodge to anyone who wants to spend time in Curaçao.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andre-RT715

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Finnish first
Naperville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a week in Scuba Lodge. We stayed a two bed apartment with a great balcony and beautiful view of the sea. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Great suggestions for restaurants, trips and beaches.

My husband and daughter did two dives with the Lodge. The dive masters went over and above to make sure they both had really good experiences. Very professional and knowledgeable.

I would not hesitate to recommend Scuba Lodge to anyone wishing to visit Curacao. Great accommodation, great location, professional dive center and very friendly team of people. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank JoanneNaperville
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I was here for 1 week, March 28 to April 4th 2014.

The accommodations were excellent, clean room, comfortable bed, good ventilation, good wifi (free) throughout. The food was also excellent. The hotel staff in general were all very good, special mention for Kelly, Yvette, Anne and Lise-Anne. The guy who coordinates the cleaning, Jesus, was also great. The bartender at night (forgot his name) was also good.

This is a small hotel for scuba divers. There is a small artificial beach and very small pool overlooking the ocean. If your spouse does not dive, do not bring her here, pick a more commercial hotel with beach and pool. You are off the beaten track and far from the shopping district close to port. The big advantage is the scuba facility right on the premises.

The scuba instructors and divemasters (Bob the manager, Anton, Corne, Carlos and Joshua) are top-notch. They are not only very personable and will answer any stupid questions, but they are very experienced with most of them in the 1500 to 3000 dive range. That commands serious respect. They do everything from basic Open Water to Advanced courses. I did my Rescue Diver over 5 afternoons with Joshua who was great, and dove in the morning. Whatever your level of diving, from beginner to expert, you will learn something from these guys. They are thorough, detail and safety oriented but relaxed and fun, which is what diving should be. Even very advanced divers will benefit. The groups are small, never more than 5, no cattle groups.

The diving here is mainly beautiful coral with alot of small fish. Sea life is more abundant in Mexico, Cayman, Cuba and Bahamas....but still beautiful dives. All shore dives, they have no boat so there is more shlepping of equipment. Bring a full length 3mm wetsuit and hoodie, water temp is around 79 degrees.

Small criticisms: the lack of enough serving staff for dinner at night...they are stressed and cant give the usual level of service for this hotel (a little smile goes a long way). Another small problem is the lack of good fresh water dunk tanks for scuba....this is because municipal water costs 60 USD per cubic meter. Tap water is very clean and can be drank. The accounting is confused, there were mix-ups on my bill. They should have separate accounting for scuba and the rest.

All in all a great experience, I would highly recommend it to divers, it is a fresh change from the big hotel chains. If I come back to Curacao, I will definitely return here.

Marc Mullie MD
Montreal

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Marc M
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at Sirena Bay estate down the street from the Scuba lodge but came here twice for breakfast/brunch. They offer a picnic basket full if fruit, yogurt, pastries etc which was excellent but I think our favors part was the "toast" or a more former grilled cheese. We had one we tomato, cheese and pesto....delicious!! Loved having Scuna lodge nearby for a view of the sea and fabulous food!

Stayed July 2013
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

My wife and I chose this location based on reviews in TripAdvisor and the fact that is for scuba divers. The diving here is wonderful and of course we went on a dive trip and that was incredible. All of the Caribbean is great but this area seems to be the best for my taste. The entire hotel is small and quant, but well kept and in perfect condition as well. Great rooms and baths. Long, Hot showers are really nice after a day of diving.
I would come again and stay. My wife never wanted to leave. If I didn't have a job to get back to, I would agree.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Larry8241
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

From the time I first made contact with Scuba Lodge, I knew this would be a great experience. Every person was extremely helpful and astute. We were particularly drawn to Kelly's assistance, probably because she was who met us when we arrived - first class host!

The restaurant was excellent! One morning the simple word "breakfast" was reciprocated by a superb breakfast in a basket, which was a perfect mix of fresh fruit, muesli, and other goodness. If you never have had kangaroo before, have it here for dinner! It was excellent!

My experience with the dive shop was also excellent, as I lucked out and had one-on-one instruction with Anton. At no point did I feel concerned about his attention to details and the essentials of my dive experience. I hope he is still there when I return to finish up my certification!

The week at Scuba was a wonderful experience. I'd recommend them to anyone considering staying there, but hear me on this, don't book when we come back...

Room Tip: Remember northerners, there are no bug screens in the doors and the doors basically are just louvere...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

My boyfriend and I spent 4 nights at the Scuba Lodge a few days back and had an amazing experience. We had advised them that we were having a bit of trouble getting to Curacao due to an airline going out of business and they surprised us with a complimentary bottle of wine and a note welcoming us to the island and wishing us a pleasant stay. I knew right away that the staff was top notch - and they were the entire stay. From Jimmy the security guard to all of the hotel/restaurant staff, everyone was extremely friendly and pleasant. The facility was beautiful and has a fantastic view from the restaurant of the sea. I would say the only minor area that could be improved was the shower in the room; it sprayed a good amount water on the bathroom floor during each use. Not a big deal though. Overall, it was a fantastic facility and I would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple