“Perfect!”

Scuba Lodge & Suites
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My husband and I stayed at Scuba Lodge May 23-30. During our stay the staff helped us arrange dinner reservations, surprised my husband with a 30th birthday breakfast, arranged every detail of our 5 dives and were on call to help with anything else we could have possibly needed.
I was expecting a bare bones scuba resort but Scuba Lodge has beautiful gardens, shaded areas for lounging by the pool, a sandy beach, a well-stocked bar, and provides large tasty breakfasts. The best amenity, though, was the staff. The owners, Harold and Caroline, were so kind. They were so great in helping me locate my bag of scuba gear that was lost on our American Airlines flight out of Miami. The birthday surprise was also a great treat for my husband's birthday.
The dives were fantastic. We came prepared with a list of of sites we'd found on tourism websites but our guides, Joshua, Annalise, and Thomas, had much better suggestions. We were never disappointed. We saw so much diversity and beautiful reefs. It was amazing.
The Lodge is located about 12 minutes from town (walking). There are a few restaurants along the way and Moon, a restaurant and lounge, is right next door. We didn't mind the walk, and the staff provided an alternate route to avoid the section of road near the hotel that has a lot of buildings under construction and is pretty dark and desolate at night.
We were the only Americans during our stay. The staff, and all the guests for that matter, spoke English so it wasn't a problem. But we were surprised that all the Americans seemed to be flocking to the big chain resorts when this place was so great and at a much better price.
We would definitely come back!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Scuba Lodge & Suites

Reviewed 16 May 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and had a great experience. The staff at the Scuba Lodge is exceptional---friendly, knowledgeable and accomodating. Even though the 20 or so rooms were full, they remembered the names of all the guests.

The Lodge is in a great location, about a 15 minute walk from the main tourist section of Willemstad, in a quiet, and safe neighborhood.

The rooms were European style (read: small), but very clean and workable (who wants to be inside in the Carribean anyhow?). The hotel has a great lounge area, with a small bar and outdoor seating, right on the ocean. Guests tended to congregate there every afternoon and evening.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We booked a last-minute trip to Curacao, and while I like to 'research' & be prepared in advance, it just wasn't going to happen. No worries as the place where we decided to stay - Scuba Lodge - said it would be no problem for them to take care of the details. And they sure did. With the owners away from the island during our stay, the staff was left in charge of the clubhouse. And they did not disappoint. Every single one of them was warm & friendly & eager to help make our trip the best it could be. Best restaurants? No prob. Best beaches? Here ya go. You wanna kitesurf? We'll find out the details & let you know when you get back today. If you like a customer-oriented stay, then this is the place for you. As for the hotel, it's right on the water. Each day we returned to the hotel for some wine as we enjoyed an amazing sunset. It's about a 5-10 minute walk into the town center - a little sketchy at night as many of the buildings are currently empty, but the staff will send you a different way. Rooms were nice, clean & spacious with AC. Lodge has a nice dipping pool as well. You can't go wrong for the price!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kevcon22
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I was blown away by the service and comfort provided by the Scuba Lodge. The staff is so accommodating and friendly-- I felt like I was leaving new friends when I left! I couldn't have asked for a more relaxing trip to Curacao.

The Scuba lodge is very conveniently located near the town center. There are a ton of great and authentic (non- tourist trap) restaurants within walking distance.

Finally (something i'm surprised no one else wrote!) the scuba instructors/bartenders are drop dead gorgeous!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2010

The Scuba Lodge in Willemstad, Curaçao was a wonderful discovery for us. Everyone there made us feel most welcome and they took care of our every need including personalized scuba diving trips! The room was very comfortable and it had a fan, air conditioning, a good-sized bathroom, a small fridge and Direct TV. It was kept very clean as well. The location is very good as it is a walkable distance from downtown with its shopping as well as many great restaurants that were recommended by the staff. The property itself has a nice swimming pool and is right on the Caribbean Sea. There is a beach area with lots of chairs and table where you can have a great breakfast. We had a wonderful, relaxing vacation and felt that we had made new friends as well.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2010

It's been a long time since I have experienced such excellent customer service from any business I've ever dealt with! I was thorougly impressed by the owners and their entire staff. (My jaw still drops when I think about how well we were treated!) From the minute we arrived until the minute we left, the staff at Scuba Lodge were helpful, attentive, and accomodating. They always had a smile and never made us feel like we were "putting them out". They made dinner reservations for us, arranged for a cab to the airport, let me use their internet and printer for boarding passes, etc. You name it, they were happy to accomodate.

Their "beach" area was extremely peaceful. I think everyone there wanted to have a nice, quiet vacation, too. Everyone seemed to respect everyone else's privacy. The set-up of the common areas was perfect. There was an open area, with a bar, near the beach area. (It's not really a beach---it has sand, loungers, and you're overlooking the ocean, but you would need to take stairs down to the water if you decide to go in). I thought it was awesome! It was very nice. And if it rains for a bit, you can go into the breezeway common area and hang out until the rain passes, and still feel like your enjoying a nice day outside.

The hotel is within walking distance to various restaurants, and you can easily walk into "town" for the shopping, the floating market, or anything else you'd like to do. For a fee, you can have breakfast outside over the water (we did not do this, but it looked great!). I'm not sure how much it cost.

The only thing that wasn't exactly perfect for us was the mattress in our room. Everything about this place was very, very nice, but I don't think we could have slept on the mattress one more night. I hate to even mention it because, like I said, everything was very nice here. It could have just been the room we were in (I think there is one main room that gets rented to people who are only staying a night or two.) But, it was the only thing that was less than perfect here.

Overall, we were very, very happy with Scuba Lodge!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SensibleTraveling
Reviewed 17 February 2010

After vacationing in Aruba for five days, my boyfriend and I took a weekend trip to Curacao before heading back to San Francisco. We were not at all fond of Aruba and were expecting the same in Curacao, and at that point before getting on the flight, just wanted to go home. Boy were we wrong! The minute we landed and ventured out in our rental car, we were amazing by the beauty of the island, water and beaches. And all this before we got to Willemstad and the Scuba Lodge.

The town of Willemstad is so quaint with amazing architecture, vibrant culture and no tourists! We were not expecting such charm. And then we arrived at the Scuba Lodge. We thought we'd died and gone to heaven after a not so wonderful trip to Aruba.

The service at the Scuba Lodge is superb. Harold and Caroline, the owners, were absolutely amazing and genuinely cared about us. When we arrived, Caroline showed us all of the best snorkeling spots on the island and recommended a number of restaurants and hot spots to visit during our stay. All of her recommendations were spot on. The rest of the staff was equally as pleasant.

The rooms were lovely, with a very colonial feel. Breakfast was wonderful, perfect start to a perfect day, and the open air bar was brilliant at night. The pool here is a nice touch too to jump in after a long, hot day walking around town. Having scuba and snorkeling gear on site was also super convenient.

The only thing we would have changed about this trip would be to bypass Aruba all together and head straight to Curacao, and the Scuba Lodge. There was so much more to do an see. We will definitely be back to the island, and stay here!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple