Hotel Scharloo
US$193
  • Pool
BijBlauw(Willemstad)
US$130
Scuba Lodge & Suites(Willemstad)
US$119
Travelocity
US$198
US$184
HotelsClick
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The hotel was very clean and well kept. Hot Shower, nice bed. An air-conditioner that was a little too cold. haha, that never happens. I visited in the low season and everything was extremely quiet. The staff was very helpful with information and brochures. He also helped with confirming some tour arrangements i had previously arranged. This hotel is perfect to be within walking distance of Punda and even parts of Otra-Banda. Very good location for exploring the city. If you dont like the big corporate hotels, and enjoy a more historic hotel, this is the right place for you.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank agb_ctg
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This small family hotel (run by a nice Dutch lady) is very conveniently located close to downtown Willemsstad, which you can easily explore on foot.

The rooms are quite ok. However you have to climb very steep stairs.
Also the rooms have no (glass) windows, only shutter. Which gives everything a very tropical look and feel. Luckily the noise of the airco blockes out all the noises.

Unfortunately there was something wrong with the warm water. And since Curacao locals are not known for their speed in fixing things, I showered in cold water for 3 days in a row.

Price and location are very good!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Airportinhabitant
Reviewed 14 April 2012

If you want to stay in the center of Willemstad, here's a very good option. The hotel is located just 2 minutes walking from the floating market but it's still in quiet area. The hotel has two buildings, the main building has also sitting room with TV and PC to be used by guests. I stayed in the other building and I liked it.
Punda bus station is within 5 minutes walking. Note that there are two type of busses. Konvois look more like busses and the time table provided are for them. But Konvois are run quite infrequently. Instead Bus (which is mini-van) are run more frequently but at least I didn't find any timetables for them. I noticed that the best way was to just go to the bus station and I never had to wait for more than 5 minutes for the right Bus. The Otrobunda bus station is not that far away either, maybe 10 minutes walking.
My room was spacious and clean (although a bit basic but this didn't bother me). There's safety box which is free of charge to use. The hotel serves breakfast but you have to order it a day before and it costs 12 USD per person. Alternatively you can go to some cafe to have your breakfast or prepare yourself something. There's supermarket in about 5 minutes walking (50-100m from bus station on the De Ruyterkade road). There's small fridge in the room which can be used for your own staff. Note that tap water is drinkable in Curacao.
I stayed in Willemstad over Easter and during the holidays the town is simply dead: there's hardly even one restaurant open and almost all tourist shops are closed too. In the normal week days it's easy to find nice terrace restaurants within 5-10 minutes walking.
There's fan and air-conditioning in the room. The fan was almost silent and helped to keep the room temperature adequate during the night time.
Customers can use washing machine and this helped me a lot because I didn't have to carry so many clothes with me. The laundry dries in less than an hour in outside laundry rack.
The wlan worked superbly in all areas of the hotel.
The only negative thing that I had was the party in the next-door Villa Maria. The party started at around 9pm and lasted till 4am. The hotel staff could have warn us about this and perhaps even make sure that we have earplugs. I wonder if anyone was able to sleep because the music was played extremely loud and it felt like the party was just outside my room.

Room Tip: if you have problems in stairs, please ask for lower level rooms. The stairs are steep and narrow.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank OtS34
HotelScharloo, General Manager at Hotel Scharloo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Thank you very much for your nice words. Too bad you didn't ask our nightguard for the earplugs during the party at Villa Maria . We have them for our guests. And you are so right ; normally we know when there is a party going on and we tell our guests, but this time we didn't know about it.
So very sorry for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Our room was always clean, comfortable, and had plenty of sunlight pouring in. The staff was always available, though sometimes you would have to search the grounds for them. The 'grounds' were always very clean and well kept. Very attractive to walk around on. There is a small, jacuzzi size pool, free parking, and free computer/wifi access. We never felt unsafe at the hotel. There were gates that locked, rooms that locked from the inside (with key) and visible security cameras. Yes, the hotel seems to be in a "sketchy" area. This is because you have to go down a funny little alley to get to the hotel. Then again, you have to realize that MOST of the island has "funny little alleys" as opposed to typical, wide open 'streets.' The location was great, a few minutes walk from 'town.' and the pontoon bridge; and a few minutes drive to the best beaches! My only suggestions to the hotel would be: 1) put an alarm clock in each room (or at least a regular clock!) 2) put at least a few paper napkins in the room for messes and spills 3) put a light blanket in each room for those of us who are always colder than their significant others hehe. I think these are fairly minor requests (especially from a fairly experienced, picky traveler). The only people who should *not* stay here are those who are not willing to be open minded about staying at a 'traditional' hotel right on a main road. And if that's you, well, you probably won't like Curacao very much, as there's not much that goes on on the main roads!

Room Tip: We had a 'suite' with kichenette (the fridge came in handy!) If I came again, I would ask for a room on the lower level- I was not a fan of the stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank misha11417
Reviewed 22 January 2012

after 2 weeks in Curacao, we stayed there for our last night as the other hotel was fully booked.
The hotel's location is in a so so area, looks a bit dodgy.
the first room which was given to us was not cleaned. But the nice staff gave us another room. The room was very spacious with high ceiling. However, it had no windwows. If I had stayed there longer, I def wanted to have a room with windows. The pool area was nice, tough not in the sun.
We slept well... until me and my bf got scared for our lives. There was a crazy local guy in the yard and shouting and it sounded like he was also firing guns. We were not sure if the hotel got robbed or not. Seriously, we thought that we will get killed. We tried not to make any noise and hide in the room. I have never ever been that scared in my life, there was no connection in my room otherwise I would have called the police.
After we checked out at 5am to catch the plane, the guy at the reception apologised and said oh sorry for the noise. I would have accepted something more. Also, security should have brought the guy away from the hotel straight away and not only after 30 minutes.
I am not picky and I have travelled the world, but that was just the worst experience ever.
So therefore I cannot give more than one star

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nice_swiss

I’m so sorry that you had this terrible and frightening experience . The security guard had to tell you more details about what has happened. We called the police for this man that was out of control, and while we were waiting he was really screaming and shouting.
Again My deepest apologize for this scary experience