“Lovely food”

Sambal
Ranked #99 of 272 Restaurants in Willemstad
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: phone 5999-738-9444 shockingly bad food. Behind the counter was a microwave and all the food came out of the fridge and got a 3 minute microwave treatment before being served. For 4 adults we paid $130!!! We have had Indonesian food in many places and this was simply horrible.
“Lovely food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Eaten here twice and both times the food was delicious! We had the satay BBQ on the second visit and it was very tasty! Got eaten a little by midges but that was probably because we sat next to the tree. Good service and great food. Will visit again for sure.

2 Thank Julala D

Orange Park, Florida
“Good food but stifling hot inside, credit card machine wasn't working”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Having been to indonesia and Bali I was hoping for a fine culinary experience here at Sabal but was disappointed overall.
The restaurant is located in a nice shopping mall on the east ring road. There are tables outside around and under a tree but considering the heat we chose to sit inside. There is an air conditioner but was stiffening hot inside, marginally cooler than outside if at all, that made enjoying my dinner very difficult.
Service was adequate and 7.00 gilder Amstel Bright good and cold.
Sate appetizer for 12.50 gilder was odd tasting costed with too much soy sauce.
I had chicken red curry (Kai Pad Ped) that costs 25.00 gilder with long beans and rice. Flavor was good but with not enough coconut milk, too watery, vegetables cook to perfection however.
My partner had chicken wok with mixed vegetables over noodles for 24.50 gilder that tasted good and was filling. His Coke cost an additional 4.36 gilder, with total dinner running 79.96 gilder or $45.69 USD. Quite high for a modest Indonesian restaurant off the beaten path.
I tried to pay with a credit card but they said there was something wrong with their machine and all island credit cards were not being accepted until 6am, which I did NOT believe. I had to go next door and get cash out of the local ATM on my next to last day in curaçao with a $5.00 ATM fee.
The heat inside was stiffening and they should have informed us their credit card machine was not functioning BEFORE we decided to eat there and price paid for the quality of the food was too high, so I can NOT recommend this establishment .

• Visited September 2013
Panama City, Panama
“Mediocre Food & Slow Service but Pleasant Atmoshere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I didn't particularly enjoy the food as I thought it was mediocre at best and the service is terribly slow. It appears to be a family restaurant and the teens serving us seemed like they'd rather be out with friends than working. However, the outdoor seating was great and almost made up for the other shortcomings.

Visited July 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Real Indonesian food on Curacao”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

My wife and I and had lunch here on July 29, 2013. Soto Ajam and Gado Gado. Really good, real Indonesian food. It is a very small take a way restaurant but they have 8 tables inside and some outside.
We can recommmend it. It is good and has a nice staff.

• Visited July 2013
Hudson, FL
“Get Out of Town!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

I read about this Indonesian/Thai restaurant before we took a southern Caribbean cruise which stopped in Curacao one day. We walked over the pontoon bridge and asked the tourist info person at the outside kiosk how to get to the Zuikertuin Mall where Sambal restaurant is located. She gave us a map and directed us to the bus station, about a 10 minute walk, where we boarded the bus with the destination Rond in the window. It cost about $3 US for the two of us, one way. We did not have to change to local currency. We were let off the bus by a sign for Bloomen Pot (I think that's the spelling) and in a short distance we saw the sign for our mall on a building.

We spent time walking through the immaculate upscale mall, somewhat different than the downtown tourist shopping area, but couldn't find Sambal. Finally, we walked outside and saw it. It isn't possible to enter from the enclosed mall. It has a separate entrance outside and you can't even view the restaurant from inside the mall area. I had noticed tables and chairs outdoors through one of the mall exits. That should have been a clue to me! A lot of people at the restaurant and the adjacent ice cream shop ate there, though there is an indoor eating area at Sambal and maybe the ice cream shop.

The restaurant is small with about 8 or ten tables indoors. I ordered nasi goreng, fried rice with chicken sate. My husband ordered nasi goreng rames which also included fried banana and beef. The local beer, Polar, was our beverage. Everything was fine.

After lunch we walked back to where we left the bus, crossed the street and waited for a bus under the Bus Halte sign. All buses going that way have to stop at the bus station, we had been told. The ride was about 15 minutes to the bus station.

It was an interesting experience going a little off the beaten tourist track and seeing a part of the island many cruise ship visitors never experience.

• Visited February 2013