“Better than before..”

Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I had an overnight in CUR and once again chose FS. Making reservations over email was easy and efficient. Check in at 9:30 PM was flawless. I was given a lovely pool suite. Too bad I could not enjoy the views more. This is a lovely hotel. I have been coming here for 10 years for layovers, day trips and mini vacations. The amenities are great.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank caribchakita
There are newer reviews for Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Being a pilot allows for plenty of traveling. I had to do a layover in Curacao for one night and chose the Floris for the nice photos displayed on the website. Price, was not too bad, albeit a bit high for what the photos had to show.
Arriving at the hotel with a taxi was no trouble, although it was well past midnight. Staff were expecting me, rudely. They did not welcome me, didn´t offer any advise as to any hotel amenities. "Dispatched" me to my room, which to my surprise was at a ground floor and did not have any water bottles. I asked the staff for some and they said, "drink from the tab"
Room was clean and spacios, albeit with no decoration and a very old TV with only 11 channels. TV Remote was filthy. The bathroom was clean and presentable. However, there was NO hot water. Called maintenance and they said "This is how it is".
Bed, quite comfortable.
Breakfast, speechless. One of the worse I've had. Very cheap buffet with a couple of cranky servers. No Oranje Juice, coffee was cold.
As for the pool, it was FILTHY, lots of hairs floating on top of white bubbles. The pool hadn´t been cleaned in ages. Very disencouraging.
The beach is far away, 15 minute walk. No shuttle to the beach. They make you walk to the beach and hotel's restaurant.
Overall, Curacao is not a friendly place to visit. Very rude people, very ugly beaches (at least the one next to the hotel). If possible, I will never visit the island again, very bad experience. Aruba is exponentially better. Don't think about it twice.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank enriquep100
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I am staying at this moment in this hotel for a family holiday. My wife and son are staying 4 weeks and I joined them for the last two weeks.
Three days ago the waterlevel in the swimmingpool lowered beneath the level of the inflow of the filtersystem. Yesterday the quality of the water became so very bad that the use of the swimmingpool was suspended. Finally a watertruck was ordered to fill up the waterlevel. What happened?? The management decided to open the swimmingpool immediately although the waterquality was even worse than the day before. Instead of waiting one more afternoon and night to let the filtersystem do its work!! People can get sick of this !!! Somehow the management prefers a "nothing is wrong" picture above hygienic. Outrageous and irresposible this attitude. We went to the frontdesk to complain, the "manager" in charge was too busy to talk to us.........
This was our fourth visit to this hotel recent years but also our last. The quality is going down the last visits we went. This is very shameful because it isn't nessecary. Most of the staff is doing their best, the problem is a matter of lack of supervising and organising.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TheNetherlands100
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I would recommend Floris Suites to anyone who wants a quiet getaway.

A long weekend stay at Floris Suites was my birthday resend from my husband. We got there on Thursday afternoon or early evening around 6:30PM. We were checked in with ease. Our room had a nice view of the gardens and had a spectacular balcony. The room had a small well equipped kitchenette with a apartment size fridge. Friday night we had a drink at the bar with a very knowledgeable bartender named Sandy. Do try his Happy Hour Cocktail. It is Divine! Thank you again. The Pool area felt like an Oasis. All around awesome hotel.

Satisfied Customer
Shadia Young-Dovale

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShadiaYD
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I stayed here for two weeks on a business trip. Below are the major negatives and a few positives of my stay:

1. Internet - they say they have wireless Internet but it is sporadic at best and I had to change rooms to even get two bars when it was working.

2. My first room had no hot water for the first two days. After they "fixed" it, I had between two and three minutes of hot water per day. When I changed rooms, late in my stay, that doubled to about five or six minutes per day.

3. My room had no hair dryer and light bulbs in both floor lamps were out. Housekeeping service was poor. My colleagues finally put the empty Kleenex box in the sink to see if that would make it evident that a new box was needed but the housekeeper just put the empty box back in its place. The cleaning standards were minimal. The room always smelled like a combination of mold and pesticide.

4. The housekeepers leave the room door open while they clean and there were lots of mosquitos in the room. I burned Citronella candles, all night sometimes, and I put mosquito repellent on before getting in bed.

5. I ate breakfast at the hotel several times and the service was minimal. A second cup of coffee was all but impossible. The weekend server was particularly unfriendly moving at a glacial pace with a sullen look. I started out by tipping 15%, higher than the Curacao standard of 10% (and for a buffet) and after about six days of poor service actually did not tip anything at all the last day, something I have not done in years. The food was fine -the selection was more than adequate but it did not change from day to day. There is an omelet station but we never got omelettes since that area was unattended much of the time making it a major atrraction for the many birds hanging out in the restaurant.

6. On the positive side, I did find the bed very comfortable and I slept well there. It was nice to have the kitchenette and that is a primary reason that we chose this hotel. There were some kind and helpful employees, particularly at the front desk. We did not have time to enjoy the pool but it did look inviting and well maintained.

Overall, I think that there must be better places to stay in a comparable price range and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank mkedwards
Reviewed 12 December 2010

This is an interesting place. We had planned to stay in Lagun, but when there was no power up in that part of the island, came back to Willemstad. I had read about Floris Suites and decided to give it a try. The location, while a bit aways from Willemstad, was not bad. There were several restaurants, casinos and a beach within walking distance, which was good. The pool at Floris was beautiful, and I liked the open lobby - kind of cool! Staff were great. The rooms, however, were a bit dark, very old fashioned, and a bit depressing. (I got the cheapest room - perhaps others were better.) However, the apartment was functional, with enough stuff to make meals, which was good, even though we didn't use the tiny kitchen area. There was an outside patio area, bathroom, room with double or queen bed, Japanese style (but old) furnishings, and the kitchen appliances along the entry way. I was bitten by mosquitos overnight - didn't like that, and at breakfast, there were native birds hopping around the breakfast bar, which I also didn't like.

However, the place is definitely cheaper than most hotels in Willemstad and Piscadera Bay, and at least it has a bit of character. If you want to save money (and everything in Curacao is expensive) you'll like being able to cook there. Breakfast there was $17 and only so-so, but you're kind of stuck. Of course, the Marriott is pretty close and believe it or not, has better prices. We ate dinner there one night and at the Indonesian restaurant one night. The latter was expensive but quite good. Marriott was the usual, but quite good food, and the hotel is beautiful.

The first 3 nights we stayed at the Renaissance, which was quite nice, and for $75 a night on Priceline, a good deal. It didn't have the character of Floris Suites, however!

Overall, I'd recommend Floris, just don't expect a wonderful place. I don't believe there are pictures of the rooms on their web site, and there's a reason for that! The pool, however, was gorgeous, and the folks at the desk when we checked in were great. I also liked the free WiFi in the rooms.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Room not available upon arrival at 4PM, 15 min wait turned to 1 hour. No management to talk to. Nice rooms, landscaping but not on the ocean so no breeze. No see ums or mosquities were bad, hotel should spray. Restaurant was expensive, $68 for dinner with only a beer to drink. Room price was good, book on line $95 basic room. Would not return because of mosquites and a some what indifferent front desk. Better to pay a premium and be on the ocean in a warm climate and too many mosquitoes.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Resort
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Re...
#1 of 1 in Dorp Sint Michiel
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Papagayo Beach Resort
Papagayo Beach Resort
#12 of 32 in Willemstad
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club? Share your experiences!