“highly overrated”

Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“highly overrated”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Bad customer service. Place is far from the center of attraction. Roaches are in the rooms and bugs fill the surrounding area. No beach. You have to go to the Hilton for beach. Pool is too cold. Customer service was not responding to our requests. Water in the room is too high.

4 Thank Dcharles1980
Frank H, General Manager at Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Dcharles,

With it being rainy season while you where with us and being in the tropics one encounters more tropical insects than normaly. The pool was a little cold because of all the rain we had. we do have two private beaches on walking distance from the hotel. We work hard every day to improve our service and product and hope you will visit us again sometime in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Five/six years ago this hotel was stylish, chic and well-staffed. I blindly returned expecting the same. Now it's a bit rundown, under- and poorly staffed and doesn't feel quite as exclusive. It's still a good hotel, but definitely nothing special. The suites are spacious, most with lovely views of the pool or garden. But while the rooms are clean and adequately appointed, most of the furniture and finishes are outdated, ageing or dirty. If you spend most of your days off site visiting beaches and other attractions, none of this matters so much. But if you want to stay put and be pampered, this is perhaps not the best hotel for you.

I appreciate that the hotel was not full while we were there, and that perhaps staff had been reduced, but the front desk as it were and pool bar were always understaffed. Notably, no one staffs the front desk proper, so when guests arrive, the lobby is empty and no one is there to greet them. (The single desk person is in an office off to the side) This creates a first impression of indifference and desertion. This general impression of stafflessness extends to the restaurant, pool and pool bar.

Food in the restaurant was pretty uninspired, esp breakfast which we avoided after the first two days. The pool ran out of towels midday on two days. And there was NEVER EVER adequate hot water (this I confirmed with several other guests). Hot water lasted at most 5 minutes at any time no matter the time of day. Unacceptable for a luxury hotel!

The hotel hosts weekly happy hours that draw many locals, creating a nice opportunity to meet people from other hotels and Curaçao itself. Very nice idea.

As other reviewers have said, there's a lot of potential here. The grounds are nice, location central, general layout, capacity and design very attractive. It just needs some refurbishment, polish and professionalism.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the very very few updated rooms, the one(s) that appears on the website. Request a...
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I just spent a week at the Floris Hotel, but I was good, personal were friendly and my room was big with a kitchen, also terras was a plus, although prices are expensive and if you don't rent a car is far away from everything, Last day the staff let us keep our luggage in a closet after chek-out and lend us a room to take a quick shower after the last day on the beach.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I just spent a week at the Floris Suite Hotel and I have to say for the most part I really enjoyed my stay. It was clear what the management was trying to achieve and with a little effort it could be come an outstanding hotel. What quickly became clear is that some of the staff have bought into their brand tagline, Let Me Spoil You, while others were more interested in spoiling your vacation. I hope the latter don’t ruin the promise this place is showing.

Let Me Spoil You

I arrived late and a smiling Zulaika checked me in. I was shown to one of the updated rooms and given a full tour by the bellman. The room was clean and comfortable with a great view of the pool. It could have used some art on the walls and throw cushions on the furniture but that’s just being picky.

If you are looking for a great place to hang out in the sun, the pool is the place to be. Being an adult hotel, there are no screaming children and a bar that opens at noon. They did run out of towels for about 24 hours - better planning needed.

The Christmas Eve and Friday night manager’s parties were awesome attracting many from the hotel and locals. It was another way to make new friends. The staff at the bar were extremely friendly. I have to compliment Jerrod and Alexander on their attentiveness and bright personalities. It became a meeting place for the many new friends I made during my stay.

Let Me Spoil Your Vacation

Not all of the front desk staff have the shining personality of Zulaika. The two guys that work up there could follow her example and be helpful rather than standoffish.

The restaurant is one place they need to make major improvements on. The food is typical cafe style and for the most part passible, the vast majority of the staff however need to be provided with better training. One night I was left sitting for 20 minutes after my plate was cleared, I actually had to find someone to just give me my bill.

Another bad experience in the restaurant happened after six of us left the bar to grab some food. The bus boy told us that we couldn’t sit in a nicer part of the restaurant, even though there was hardly anyone in it. I decided enough was enough and went to find the manager. To Frank’s credit, he came right down to the restaurant, had words with the staff and we were given the table we wanted and great service for the rest of the evening.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the updated rooms!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Richmond VA
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We just arrived back from a seven night stay in Curacao and the Floris Suites Hotel. This was our Christmas vacation and I booked it back in August. I feel compelled to write this review to hopefully fully inform others who may be looking to stay here. Disappointment would be the one word I would use to describe our stay here. The website makes everything look fresh, clean, modern etc. It is none of the above. It is most definitely not to standard for a supposedly 4 star hotel, and trust me, I can get over a lot. But this one was over the top. I will first say that I did enjoy meeting some new friends from several other countries at the Rainbow Lounge, and that generally, the staff was pleasant. It is very gay friendly, so no issues there. Seriously, that is about it for the positives.

I will just list out all the problems:

- Upon arrival, we were given a small one bedroom that was stark, outdated, and dark. Within five minutes in the room, I killed five mosquitos. The ceiling fan looked like it was going to break off it was shaking so bad. I walked back to the desk and explained that the room was not what I was expecting and if they had some renovated rooms. The manager showed me a couple other rooms that had been "refreshed". We chose a larger suite that was better but still seriously outdated and worn. The manager could not provide something they don't have.
- The new room's floor was dirty (they just sweep - no vacuum). The dresser drawers smelled musty and moldy - we couldn't put our clothes away. I killed two very large roaches during our stay. Several times we got towels and wash clothes that were stained as if they had not been properly washed. The shower was not clean, and had grime and rust. The grout in the tiles on the wall had mold or grime. Just not cleaned to standard at all.
- We discovered that the housekeeper kept the door wide open for the entire time she cleaned our room each day. Which would likely explain why we battled being bitten by mosquitoes inside the room each night.
- The first two nights, the air conditioner malfunctioned very loudly, waking us up about every 15 minutes. They did come fix it the third day.
- There was a two burner stove, but very few utensils or cookware.
- There was no operating gym facility, they gave us passes to walk across the street to the Hilton, which ended up being a nice facility.
- Several times during the day I attempted to get a cocktail at one of the bars. The Rainbow Lounge was closed and I was referred to the pool bar, which just had a sign on the bar saying no one was available.
- Breakfast was minimal portions, bad quality, and extremely overpriced. We ended up walking across to the Marriott each morning for their breakfast buffet for $23pp, which was about what we paid at Floris for two scrambled egges, some toast, a grapefruit and coffee. And we were the only two people there in the whole restaurant, so others must have already figured this out.
- The hotel in general was a ghost town. Outside a few night events that brought people in to the Rainbow Lounge, there was no one to meet. Over seven days, we saw someone at the pool TWICE. There was no atmosphere. We would leave the property to go somewhere else if we wanted to sit at a bar for a drink or to meet people.
- Essentially, we left to go somewhere else for just about everything.

This review is not something I have ever done before. I am not usually a "complainer". However, if I had been better informed I would never have booked this. I would have paid more and stayed at the Marriott or the Renaissance, and just visited the Floris on nights they were having an event at the Rainbow Lounge. Maybe this review can help others from making the same mistake we did. We heard talk while we were there that a major renovation is coming next year, but until then I would not recommend this place. Even then, a renovation wouldn't fix the food, cleanliness, and service issues. Happy New Year!

Room Tip: I would look at spending a little more and staying at the Marriott or the Renaissance.
3 Thank W1r2f1
Frank H, General Manager at Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear W,

We are sorry to hear that your stay was not what you had hoped for. I remember showing you a very nice upgraded Junior Suite, the roomtype you reserved, after your initial arrival. Yet you choose a larger room free of extra charge. I informed you that room was not renovated at this time. The hotel was not completely sold out the days before Christmas as that is traditionally a slow time. The hotel like most other hotels on the island is full the day after Christmas. I am sorry that the hotel was too slow for you during the day. We are glad you enjoyed The Rainbow Lounge and made new friends. I hope you had the chance to visit our private beach and beach cafe where most of our guests are during the day. Our breakfast option starts at $10 a person and the a la carte menu offers a wide variety of quality options. I have encountered you several times during your stay and asked how everything was. You always mentioned everything was perfect therefore it is somewhat dissapointing to read some of your findings after the fact overhere however we appreciate your feedback and always share with our team.
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We had a great stay. New, beautiful, spacious suites in a small resort with personal touch. Nice and friendly people, good pool, good location. Beach of Hilton and Pirate Bay less then 5 minutes walk. Good bed. No kids which made it very peaceful. Compliments to Alexander for his great Smile and Zulaika for her patience explaining all the best places to go.

Room Tip: First floor preferred, but have no fan. All rooms have AC. Garden view is nice enough as lots of nat...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
NJ
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We spent a week here in November and loved it! The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The kitchen is a bonus. Grocery store is about a mile away. The decks off the rooms are enormous (we were on 2nd floor). We weren't sure about having to take a shuttle (golf cart) to the beach but it was readily available and actually not needed since the beach is at the bottom of the hill.

The staff at the hotel was wonderful. Always pleasant and helpful. The pool was nice and had a bar. Overall this hotel was fantastic.

The island is pretty cool. We had rented a car so we visited beaches at the other end of the island. The beach had a bar and grill and you could rent snorkel gear. The water was crystal clear. You need water shoes though because it's not soft sand in the water but more like a lava rockiness to it. Restaurants in town are great. We were having dinner one night and a huge ship came through the loch and went through the floating bridge. The ship was the size of a cruise ship and took up the entire loch - amazing to watch.

I loved this island, the people, and most of all this hotel and its staff!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelAddict0715
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Resort
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Re...
#1 of 1 in Dorp Sint Michiel
Hilton Curacao
Hilton Curacao
#16 of 32 in Willemstad
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club? Share your experiences!