La Maya Beach Luxury Apartments
  • Breakfast included
Excellent 5/5
Trupial Inn(Willemstad)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewswashing machineclean apartmenta great place to stayislandunitsocean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Dear Annemarie & Marcell,
We had a great and full relaxed time on La Maya Beach. Awesome garden, nice view, cosy place...;)
Thank's everything for your kind assistance

Only one weak point on Curacao ; expensive taxis, "limited" night life on the Island

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Etheltwins
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My family just returned from a week long stay in Curacao at La Maya. It was just as we wanted - semi-private, away from the busy city, small enough we could get individualized assistance, great swimming pool for the kids, etc. If you are expecting something within walking distance of a lot to do, this is not your place. We appreciated the opportunity to get away from all of that. We rented a car (as you really should in Curacao) so we had access to the city but could also get away from it too when we returned to La Maya.
We really appreciated Annemarie's help throughout the trip. As we didn't have much knowledge of the island, we went to her for recommendations of beaches, restaurants, and other excursions; she helped book our snorkeling cruise, guided us with driving directions, ordered us pizza one night, and helped me find a bakery to special order a birthday cake. We weren't disappointed.
To address some other concerns - "there were mosquitoes": yes - everywhere on the island. Other hotels with outdoor living would have the same. "There was noise from other guests" - we didn't have this issue, but I imagine that could happen anywhere. "Rude couple": I didn't get that - quite the opposite actually, and we asked a lot of questions.
It was a clean, nice, modern apartment (with laundry!) that looked just like the pictures showed; I felt safe and secure with my 2 small children there.
I would gladly return and recommend La Maya to anyone that is looking for a quiet place to relax that is still relatively close everything.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank wiscofam
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I wish I could give this place a good review. However, the time I spent here with my family was not enjoyable due to the poor living conditions. We had a sink break, fleas in the beds, a bathroom mirror break and faulty AC.

The online pictures make you think there is a beach, but that is not the case. It is a pretty gross harbor with a man made beach. The pool area was nice and well taken care of, but did not replace having a beach.

While I saw people thought the owners were nice, I have traveled a great deal and never met a more rude couple. They made me feel unwelcome and an inconvenience at every turn.

I would not recommend staying at La Maya.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank EJL33
Reviewed 6 April 2013

When arriving to La Maya, we did not really know what to expect since the reviews on this place had been very different from each other. However, we are happy to have chosen La Maya, and here follows the reasoning why.

The grounds and the pools were well kept and clean, as were also the apartments. The apartments had modern, basic furniture, and were clean and spacious (two bedrooms, two showers, two toilets, kitchen and living room).

All basic kitchen cutlery and equipment was available, and the machines worked well for us. The washing machine was really good to have at hand, especially when you are travelling for a longer time. The air-conditioning also worked perfectly, and kept the apartment and rooms at wanted temperatures.

The apartment was cleaned daily during our visit, and towels changed as well. Each apartment has its own parking space within the gated community, which is also guarded by security during night time.

The sun hit our apartment’s balcony (8E) in the afternoon, and we saw the sunset from it. It was nice in the evenings to enjoy candle-light dinners on your balcony. La Maya suited us very well, as it was very serene. If you are going to make noise or have a party, I am pretty sure you stand out here (which was also the complaint of some previous reviewers that they had been asked to be quieter).

We rented our car from Prins car rental, which I can strongly recommend. They had new and well-maintained cars, and provided excellent service (much better than at larger chains like Hertz). We would recommend renting an SUV as well as a navigation system (the latter was less than 6$ per day). Although I like driving around old-style with maps, Curacao is a place where the navigation system was really needed. We often saw cars on the side of roads that had stopped, and tried to make sense of their maps and current location. The signage is namely very poor here.

I had expected more from Willemstad though, and when checking out a few hotel properties there during our visit (which had been our alternatives), I was glad we had decided to stay at Spanish Waters and La Maya instead. E.g. from La Maya there is a free shuttle to/from restaurant Landhuis Brakkeput Mei Mei, so you do not need to take your own car everywhere you go. If dining in your apartment, you will find a very good grocery store in Jan Thiel area, called van den Tweel, which is only a 5 minute drive from La Maya.

We had no problem with mosquitoes during our stay in March. In the evenings we had the porch fan on, and you also have mosquito candles that you can lit, if you wish to use them. I think we saw one mosquito during our entire stay.

A beach which we liked was Porto Marie, as it was not crowded, and you could find umbrellas also when arriving a bit later during the day. It was about a 30 minute ride from La Maya, with an entrance fee, a restaurant, snorkelling and dive equipment rental, and toilets.

From Curacao we continued to Aruba. When comparing the two islands, Curacao seems less touristic, having more of an authentic local vibe. Unfortunately it seemed poorer too, and less maintained (in terms of garbage along the streets). However, as the two islands are very different in culture – both were its own experience!

Overall concerning La Maya, I would recommend this for people who like serenity, appreciate safe and clean grounds, and who do not mind apartment style living during a vacation, and renting a car. Reading the other reviews, some had quite a different experience, but as with any place or vacation, I guess it also depends on which apartment you will get, who the other simultaneous guests are, how busy it is... as during our stay the other guests were very quiet, and when being at the pool area, there were none or max two other persons there at the same time.

The main thing that I would recommend for improvement for La Maya though, would be the WLAN, which did not work well from the apartments, especially morning and daytime, when several devices were connected. Other than that, it was well worth the price!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank AnneBear
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We are very frequent travellers to Curacao. We used to come here at least 5 till 7 times a year. After reading a lot of reviews we wanted to try something else and not stay in the large hotels with our daughter (5 years at the time of travel). We decided to stay at La Maya Beach. Beforehand I had a lot of email communication with Annemarie. She answered almost immediately at our questions and we had the feeling everything would be in perfect order! When we arrived at the resort we were greeted by a trainee. She showed us around the apartment on the 2nd floor. We overlooked a part of the Spanish Water and the rest of the resort. The first impression was great, there was even a nice bottle of wine to welcome us, but after a few hours our opinion hanged. There was a lot of brochures and other stuff in the drawers that was left behind by former guests. There was a long line of ants finding their way trough the kitchen to where??? The bathroom did not feel like it was 'finished' while building the apartments. Bad lightning. No privacy at all on the balcony, everybody could see us, so we could also see everybody else on there balconies and a lot of mosquito's during the night!! We were sitting outside on the balcony late evenings and heard a lot of noise on the other side of the fence and even saw a man appear that definitely did not was an employee or guest at the resort. During the night we heard a lot of strange noises coming from the houses/apartments that are being built at the backside of our apartment. We had to go out all the time by car to have dinner, go shopping, going to the beach etc etc. We missed the noise of the sea. Our daughter wanted to swim in the Spanish Water but we found the water to dirty to swim in. A line of oil (from the nearby harbor?) was on top of the water. No privacy at all at the small pool. Another dutch lady wanted to talk to us all the time, she even came to sit under my umbrella uninvited, while the only thing we wanted was to lay down, enjoy our books and the sun! On top of it we went to a beach in Curacao and my wife handbag was stolen!!! We know this wasn't the property's fault but after the strange night overhere we were ready with it!! We never ever felt unsafe during our stays in Curacao!!! My wife was ready with it after the robbery and wanted to go back to the large hotel where we always stayed and were was a lot of security. The 2 nights we missed at La Maya Beach were never refunded! Grounds are beautiful and well kept!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family