“Wedding renewal”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The resort was very clean and comfortable, the employees where exceptionally pleasant and helpful and the beach was beautiful. We went snorkeling twice and the equipment was always available. I would recommend this resort to anyone.

12  Thank Arthur H
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Arthur,

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are looking forward to sharing your feedback with our staff! They really appreciate the recognition and all work very hard to ensure our guest have a fantastic vacation.

We hope you return to our beautiful island soon and look forward to welcoming you back!

There are newer reviews for Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Before going, I read every trip advisor review. They were quite mixed making me prepared not to expect too much. After my stay, I am convinced that some people have a knack for finding faults. I did not have such and experience. Greeted kindly upon arrival with tropical juice and a cool towel upon arrival. Reasonably quick check-in. The room was clean, nicely decorated and well stocked. The only note was the buttons on the phone were missing. Which didn't damper my experience since I never needed to use it.
The Food: I half expected low end steam table food that was bland and dried out. Not so! They kept the variety unique while keeping favorites. At the other dining restaurants, Oceana and Bluewater Grille the dining experience was excellent. I would suggest, however the addition of steak knives to make bite sized pieces easier to cut.
The Entertainment Crew: These guys were great! They would have a way of rallying you without pressuring you into activities. They kept the variety interesting and the attitude upbeat. You never felt like the last kid picked in kickball.
The pools were always kept clean, in fact the staff worked tirelessly, cleaning up and maintaing the entire resort to near perfect standards.
Considering the price of this vacation, I truly feel I got double my money's worth and had probably one of the best vacations ever. These people work their butts off to make your stay enjoyable. Be sure to thank and tip them even though tips are included, they earn it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
13  Thank Lauren M
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear Lauren,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so glad you found us to be above average and recommendation worthy. We look forward serving you again in the near future!

Thank you for choosing us.

Sunscape Curacao Resort, spa & Casino

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I read many reviews from March until we went in September, and I did see a lot of bad ones and a lot of good ones, so I kind of worried about what we would find. I went on my honeymoon; we are in our 20s; we are middle-class blue-collar workers from the Midwest who cook in a lot and when we eat out it’s at your standard Applebee’s type restaurant. I say these things so you have an idea of who we are and where we are from...what we kind of expect.
For this once in a lifetime trip, I splurged for a jr honeymoon suite which was in the preferred club...and well worth it. Preferred club rooms get private check in, so our check in was really fast and great. I did see long lines at the main desk though. The preferred club wing is building 8 and at the far end of the resort where it is much quieter. There are softer beach chairs, even softer cabanas, a private pool, and the beach is cleaner. Beach butlers come by multiple times every day, take your drink orders, and bring them back to you. Also with the preferred club, you have access to the air conditioned club room, where there is wifi and two laptops for use, desserts, ice water, and lemonade…and sometimes champagne.
Our room was cleaned every day and was always satisfactory, and our mini bar was restocked every day. Midweek we even requested an extra bottle of water and left a small tip...we got two bottles of water every day after that. Every member of the staff that we dealt with was extremely pleasant and always helpful.
We thought the food was excellent. We did not eat at Himitsu or Oceana, neither of us like Japanese or Seafood. We ate two dinners each at Bluewater Grill, Da Mario, and the World Café buffet, along with breakfast all week at the buffet. While the breakfast food did not rotate at the buffet, it was all good and there were enough options to keep us happy all week. Dinner at the buffet was great with the options 75% different each time we went, with great variety. At Da Mario we had one of the best pizzas we have ever had. And Bluewater Grill…we had all three steaks and the ribs and they were all excellent. The ribs were some of the best I’ve ever had. The fruit juices were also well above average. The only part of the food that did not thrill us was the desserts…they were just different than what we are used to.
We never had a problem getting a drink, but I will admit they were not strong. BUT, they serve the drinks in small glasses with lots of ice to try to keep them cold, so you’re not going to get much liquor. If you want to feel good, order a bunch, ask for a double/extra liquor, or take them your own glass. I got a double once with no problems and saw many other people ask for extra or have it poured in their own bigger class and get it without a problem.
Some other thoughts:
Get beach shoes, they are great for the coral in the water.
Snorkeling is amazing, take an underwater camera.
I saw security roaming the grounds constantly…even at 3:00 am when we woke to depart.
Take the bus to Willemstad for a day, it’s an amazing place. Bus cost $6 round trip, was fast, and easy.
If you want a good seat, go down to dinner about 15 minutes before they say they open. Most nights the restaurant opened early anyway, but you can get a great seat and the service will be a little quicker too.
Overall – completely excellent with no complaints. The only things that did not seem to us as above average were because of our preferences, not because of Sunscape.

Room Tip: If you have the $, go for a preferred club level room.
13  Thank Ryan B

Dear Ryan,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and had a perfect honeymoon with us and thank you for the feedback! It is very important for us that our guest' experiences are shared.
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your collaboration and we hope to see you again soon.

Sunscape Curacao Reosrt, Spa & Casino

Reviewed 2 October 2013

After reading all the reviews and finally staying here I don't know what the bad reviewers are really talking about. It's not a 5 star luxury resort but it is nice, comfortable, clean and friendly. If you're looking to have a wonderful time on a beautiful island at an all-inclusive resort, there is absolutely nothing majorly wrong with this one. We had a great time.

We stayed at this resort from Sept 24th - Oct 1st. At first I was pretty nervous about the resort being that there are a lot of bad reviews and that this was my first time at an all-inclusive. When we got to the hotel (about a 30 minute shuttle ride from the airport) check-in was quick and easy. While walking to our room, #4101, the bell hop was explaining as much as he could about what we could do on the island.

Our room was centrally located to the beach but not on the beach and within close proximity to the bars, restaurants and water sports. Our room had a great little "backyard" that had privacy but that you could also people watch from. An iguana made frequent visits to say hi. Upon arriving to the room I left a tip for the maid for the next day and asked if we could have more beer and water in our mini fridge. From then on we were stocked up everyday for the entire trip.

The restaurants get busy and the service is slow. It is true that if you want to eat early, you should line up a little before 630pm to get one of the first tables. I wasn't picky about the food being that it is an all-inclusive and from what I've heard unless you pay massive amounts of money it's never anything spectacular. I did enjoy most of the food though. Nothing was terrible and the portions keep you full. The Italian restaurant was my favorite and is pool side so if there's entertainment that night you get to watch while you eat. The seafood restaurant is right on the beach but off the beaten path a little but has it's own bar so if you do have to wait for a table at least you can have drinks. The buffet is by far the quickest option and has a pretty good selection of food.

The nightlife was kind of dull. We are 31 and 35 years old so we were looking for something a little more than what was offered. There is another resort next door with a bunch of places that always seem to be busy and fun with DJs and bands but you have to pay for your drinks over there. We didn't seem to mind a couple of the nights. The "disco" on the resort leaves a little to be desired. It's never busy and they do have theme nights but no one seems to ever be there. There is a pool table and bar inside so it's nice for just an evening of hanging out.

As for the staff, I found that the older staff seemed to be much nicer and accommodating than the younger staff. No one was rude, maybe just a little inattentive at times. We never had any problems getting drinks, they never ran out of alcohol and most of the bartenders were pretty great.

There are plenty of things to do that are included such as one free scuba dive per day off the dock, wind surfing, snorkeling, paddle boats... There was plenty to do. The introductory scuba lesson is even free if you would like to try it.

Overall, we had a fantastic time at this resort and would probably visit again if we decided to come back to Curacao.

17  Thank deathbyairguitar
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing about your experience at the resort. We are so happy that you appreciate the food of the Italian and the seafood restaurant. We need to inform you that we are giving the staff special training in order to provide better service to the guests. Further on we are very glad you enjoyed windsurfing and snorkeling.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next stay and hope we can prove our high standard of hospitality again.

Thank you for choosing us.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We travelled to sunscape sept 21-28 and we are both avid travelers. I felt the need to write this review after being scared and horrified before flying out to Curacao ( I was looking for other hotel options at the time! ) HOWEVER We were happily surprised. Yes this is a hotel in transition but we were VERY HAPPY with our stay there!

can start by saying that like a lot of the other reviewers we were a little scared reading other peoples experiences prior to leaving for our trip. Upon our arrival we were scared thinking that this may actually be true. The group in front of us were fighting and yelling with the staff in the prefered lounge stating they did not have the correct room, beds ect. Nothing was right for them, accourding to the guest. We waited patiently and when it was our turn to be assisted staff greeted us with a smile and made sure that we were checked in and had everything in order. No problems. We were then escorted to our room by Zerick (? spelling) and he gave us a tour of all the facilities as he helped to bring our luggage to the room with concierge.

Our room was clean, spacious and had the beautiful ocean front view that we had booked. No complaints there! Only complaint on the room is the beds are literally as hard as rocks. Housekeeping did their best to fix that by putting on a mattress pad but i think its time to replace those beds..otherwise each day our mini bar was replenished. If we needed anything room service was easily accessible and they brought us additional drinks, foods ect in a timely manner. They even came around 6 pm to give us fresh beach towels for the next day!

The bars never ran our of alcohol, so i dont know what other people are complaining about! if we requested a specific alcohol and they had it - we got it. All bar staff was friendly!

Restaurants were all good, however a couple tips - the grill you need to get there exactly at 630 when they open for dinner otherwise the line piles up all the beepers get passed out and you end up waiting hrs for dinner. I guess time to enjoy the nightly entertainment on the pool deck or a drink from sugar reef? Live and learn i guess. Otherwise the rest of the food was pretty good, not excellent but not terrible. We went for the views and relaxation so didnt matter to us.

The concierge desk was very helpful setting up activities. reasonable prices. we would reccomend the dolphin swim! or catamaran boat trip. very fun.

overall an excellent trip! thank you Sunscape staff

17  Thank Bryan N
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My name is Kelly Clingerman my husband Brett and I spent 10 wonderful days and nights at the Sunscape. We were there on our delayed honeymoon and while there we also renewed our vows. The staff was fantastic from the word go. Nancy the HR and FNB Manager escorted us to our room in #8. She was so pleasant and eager to help us. Anytime we saw her on the property she went out of her way to speak with us and make sure that all was going well. On our last day there she was doing her travels and made her way to the beach to see us before we left. Any time we went to the front desk to ask for assistance with something they were always helpful. The food was totally awesome at the all of the restaurants with the Italian restaurant being my least favorite. Italian is hard to do when you aren't Italian. The beach butlers Laura and Angela were totally awesome!!! Norma the bartender at the Oceana was a dream and all the other staff were amazing. Zjanina, the wedding planner and her staff were so helpful and made our day so special. We renewed our vows on the resort and the staff provided a wonderful and memorable experience for us. If I had one negative about our whole trip it would be that the ATM outside of the lobby doesn't communicate with US banks. Everyday and night was like a dream. We are going back in June of 2014 and taking our two kids along with my sister and brother in law and neice. If you are nice and treat the staff like they are humans you will have an excellent experience. We did tip on occasion but I think just interacting with the staff created our awesome experience!!

Brett and Kelly Clingerman
Lisbon, OH
I Love Curacao, you go, you know!!!!!!

Room Tip: The upgrade to Preferred Members Club is worth it!!!
13  Thank Kelly C
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Kelly,

My name is Awendel Kwidama, Assistant to the General Manager.
We hereby would like to thank you for your wonderful review! We are so glad you had so much fun and found us to be above average and recommendation worthy. Thank you for the good comments on the staff: Nancy, Anibal, Norma, Zjanina, Laura and Angela. We will pass it directly to their department manager in order to congratulate them.

We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Just got back from our Honeymoon, we stayed 11 nights from September 10th - September 21st 2013. Room 8219.

This is a very nice resort. It is a value somewhere between 3 and 4 stars and is priced appropriately. If your easy an easy going, there to relax and have a good time and generally laid back person then you will have a lot of fun! We did and are glad we booked our honeymoon there :-).

If you are nit picky and expect to be waited in hand and foot and think it is the ritz or the capital grille, then go elsewhere. We looked at other islands and resorts and the Ritz type resorts, although I'm sure are very nice, were going to cost us a lot more.

The key is, be nice, be friendly, be outgoing say hello and please/ thank you to the staff who for the most part are very nice people. Also, although not required we tipped for good service. Maybe $2 for dinner waiter service, a $1 to the bartenders (not every round but maybe every other or every third round). After doing this for a few days we were treated like kings and queens and we tipped maybe $10 a day! Well worth it!

Tip if you email them ahead if time and tell them it is your honeymoon or anniversary (copy of marriage certificate required they asked at check in) then they throw in a free massage and a dinner in the beach one night with a private waiter, very nice touch.

Here's the good. Lots of choices for food and drinks.

The Buffett is open for all three meals. Then there are 4 restaurants (in addition to the Buffett) that are open for dinner. 2 of these restaurants are also open for lunch. Also there is a coffee shop in the lobby with coffee hot and iced and lattes and cappuccino as well as donuts and pastry open 8 am - 10 pm. Coffee shop is included in all inclusive.

Liquor drinks are good. Just be nice, say please/thank you. Ask for 2 at a time if you like and they are happy to accommodate. In general all bartenders were good or better!

The pools are very nice. The pool bar was open from 11ish - 5ish everyday we were there so that was great.

The beach on the resort is awesome! Yes in some areas it is all sand and in some areas very rocky, but the island is formed from volcanic rock , so just wear some water shoes or sandles or just walk the 50 yards to the sandy part of the breach.

Highly recommend bringing your own snorkel. The crystal clear water was amazing for snorkeling. Also looks like a great place to scuba dive (although I have never dived just saw a ton of people diving)

For food Here's the rundown by resturant, the good and the bad.

Buffett - great for breakfast with a cooked to order eggs and omelet station. Lunch and dinner just so-so. Lots of choices but food is average or below average for lunch and dinner. Service at the Buffet is not great for all 3 meals. It takes a long time to get a drink sometimes you order a drink and it never comes. Often we would just get up and self serve ourselves juice and coffee at the Buffett.

Oceania - Seafood resturant open for dinner and lunch. Dinner was exceptional great food, try the Red Snapper or Garlic Shrimp or grilled Mahi Mahi. Service here is the BEST of all the restaurants on the resort, they really work as a team at this resturant.

De Marino - Italian food. The food itself is great. However the Sauce, especially tomato sauce is not good. The pizza is average good. Garlic bread and desserts here are great. Went 3 times, two male servers were great, had a nice meal, relaxed and was about an hour. Third time took over 2 hours, and mediocre service.

Hitmatsiu - Japanese Steakhouse. Food is Excellent! Need to make a reservation the day before, well worth it. Service is good here, just takes a while due to 4 courses of great food.

Blue Water - Steakhouse - food was average to good. Service was average. Worth going to once, but not the best on the resort.

Now, the Blue Water Steakhouse as well as Oceania are open for Lunch too, for lunch both have the same menu and have better food than the buffet. No waiter service just go to the counter and order, worked out great, quick service in ten minutes or less and food was good (grilled chicken sandwich, grilled fish sandwich, cheeseburger, hot dog, nachos, chicken nuggets, fries, etc) all food was great here at both places for Lunch.. Better than Buffett lunch.

Also blue water has the lunch menu and was open late night 10 pm - 1 am so that was cool after a night out!

Reason I rate the resort 3 or 4 stars instead of 5. The rooms, the one we had was great, saw a friends room, not so great so I guess it's hit or miss. But we didn't spend a ton of time in the room so no big deal.

Also Food at steakhouse (blue water), for dinner could be better. And service could be too.

Italian resturant needs better sauce.

Buffett needs better service and better food.

Also only one type of beer available (Amstel) although Amstel is good, if they just offered two more choices maybe a light beer like Amstel Bright or Corona, this would greatly improve the beer situation.

If these improvements are made it becomes a 4 1/2 star or 5 star resort in my book :-)

Here are some awesome staff we met during our trip:

Chin Ping is the best bartender (lobby Bar bartender) at the resort. He went out of his way to make us feel special on our honeymoon and made some awesome drinks. Also did this for other guest as well.

Chantel at Oceania is the best waitress on the resort and Mikie is a close second! The whole staff at Oceania is great and deserves applause.

O'Bryan on the entertainment team was cool and always had fun activities planned and tried to get everyone involved.

So thank you Sunscape, we had an awesome honeymoon and we will visit again someday for an Anniversary! Get some Amstel brights and being Italian, I will show you guys how to make a good tomato sauce!! :-)

-Rich Maggio
Boston, MA
USA

• Stayed: September 2013
21  Thank RichMaggio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Hilton Curacao
Hilton Curacao
#17 of 32 in Willemstad
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!