“Wonderful anniversary vacation!”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary at Sunscape Sept 18th through the 28th. I emailed the resort several months before our arrival with questions and concerns. My emails were always answered promptly. The free airport shuttle was waiting for us upon arrival. Check in was fast and pleasant, especially when told we rec'd a complimentary upgrade to the preferred club, building 8 (we had booked a garden view room). We were greeted with a cold drink and cool wash clothe. Raymond brought us to our room. He was very pleasant telling us about the resort and our room. Our room was clean, nicely decorated and plenty of space. We had no problem with housekeeping.
The beach was beautiful! There is a lot of coral so water shoes will make it more comfortable. We enjoyed snorkeling and kayaking. There are other water sports provided. The pools were nice. They need some minor repairs and would be perfect.
There are five restaurants. Oceana-The best service and the food was delicious the 2 nights we ate there. Italian- We ate there 3 nights and had good and bad service but the food was delicious, except the lasagna. (men need to wear pants) Japanese- We ate there one night and had terrible service along with the others seated in the garden section. Maybe there is better service at the hibachi table. The food was OK (men need to wear pants) Bluewater Grill- OK food and service, nice ocean front seating. Buffet- We had breakfast there every morning. The service and food were good with plenty of selection. We ate dinner there a few nights. My husband loved it. He loves to have a little of everything on his plate and then have seconds. I am not a fan of buffets for dinner but it was quicker than the other places. If you have to wait, there are things to do. You're on vacation, chill! I have read many different views about the restaurants so I think it's a matter of taste and the employees having a good or bad night. And don't forget to tip!
The preferred club, building 8, is at the quiet end, has it's own pool, butler service, cushions on the lounge chairs, lounge beds, access to wifi (which you can pay $40.00 for the week if that's the only extra you are interested in) and a few other small perks. Building 7 is also in a quieter area, surrounding the Oceana restaurant. The other buildings are closer to the main pool, the buffet, casino and lobby.
There is entertainment during the day and evening around the main pool. It was OK, I've seen better but the entertainment team were fun and friendly.
I had a massage with Juana. it was wonderful! There is a full service spa.
We took the free shuttle to town one morning. It was nice but couldn't wait to get back to the beach! We also went to the Dolphin Academy one morning. We took the local bus because it was passing but walked back (10 min). The morning dolphin show was cancelled and we didn't want to wait til 1:30 for the next one. The exhibits are a quick walk through.
I think this is a 4 star resort now but with a few improvements, it will be a 5 star. I spoke to several employees who told me they are working on the issues brought to their attention. I even saw positive changes during our stay.
My husband and I had an awesome time at Sunscape! Special thanks to Kurt Klaber, rooms division manager and Angela and Liz our beach butlers. Thanks to all the employees who made our anniversary special.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Linda1111

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Very good resort, but you need a renovated room. The old rooms are terrible.
Especially the artificial reef was perfect. Even with wind an rough sea, you could swim in a calm bay.
Personele was very friendly.
The restaurants were very good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Jeroen A
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My son, DIL and I spent Sept. 29 - Oct. 5, 2013 at Sunscape in Curacao. The only problem we had was getting the correct number of towels, wash cloths and hand towels and cups/glasses in our room..................though that was such a little thing that we laughed it off and just accepted what we got. Hey: we are on vacation here! We requested Preferred Club and particularly liked the air conditioned club room with great wifi and the use of the computers in the club room. The ladies in this room were very polite and eager to help with any questions. This was a sign of the attitudes we observed throughout this resort: The people were so kind and open - all it took was a smile - with a request and it was most usually answered with a smile in return and the words "it is my pleasure". The staff was exception at this resort. The room was newly renovated - only problem was the phone (yes, the phone!). There were no labels on the phone so you must dial the operator and ask how to contact housekeeping, etc. But that is absolutely NO big deal. The a/c in the room could not have worked any better! Beds were okay with us - we were on vacation! We requested and received a room on the 3rd floor of the Flamingo Bldg. (think that was it). No elevator - we needed the exercise. The food was very good! We ate in all the ale carte restaurants as well as the buffet. We arrived abound 7:00 P. and rarely had to wait to be seated. Most of the restaurants are out of doors - which was fine as the Trade Winds kicked in about 6:00 P.M. or so and made dining out very comfortable. The Japanese restaurant was fun - but warm. Reservations are required the day prior and worked fine for us. Our favorite was the seafood restaurant between the Preferred Club buildings - on the sand and lovely. The Red Snapper was unbelievable - and I'm not big on seafood - just watch out for bones - and they are cooked and served with heads still attached.....We ate inside at the Italian restaurant. The food was again, very good - and they kept the wine flowing. Our last evening, we ate at the steak house. (Beautiful location on the water.) Son had fish and was very pleased, however, DIL and I had steak and it was just not good. All breakfasts were eaten in the buffet - again all open air. The omlets (?) were over cooked and I didn't care for the oil they were prepared in - but that didn't stop me from eating one every day! The dinners served in the buffet were very good - with something for everyone. No complaints here! The free transfers provided by the Sunscape were seamless. They met us at the airport and escorted us to their van - on the return, you must make reservations 24 hrs. in advance - no problem: they were in the lobby at 4:20 A.M. to get us quickly to the airport. Very nice gentlemen. We rented a car for one day and visited Willemstad for a few hours then took off toward the north stopping at Shete Boka Park and other sights before the road curved around at WestPunt and we headed back south. I was truly amazed at how mountainous the terrain to the north was. I expected it to be similar in terrain to Aruba - there are some steep mountains to the north! On the way back down the coast on the west side, we stopped at Playa Lagun (very small and beautiful inlet where you can watch fishermen bring in their catch of the day; Grote Knip - just beautiful. The highlight of this resort simply has to be the absolutely gorgeous beach! There is a breakwall out from the beach which does contain some of the waves making it pretty easy for snorkeling. Walking out from the beach between the Preferred club buildings was fun - as you don't go too far in before the bottom starts to leave! It is pretty deep not too far out - but the water is simply breathtaking. There are no words to describe the colors.....and the fish! Amazingly beautiful. You do not have to wonder too far to find hundreds of beautiful, colorful fish. This is a nice, compact size resort. I believe that the Sunscape is so close to being a 4 star resort. We want to return again - hopefully soon. Oh, and yes! We thought the snorkeling was the best - and just steps off the beach at the resort - so easy to access!

4  Thank poohsmom123
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I want to start by saying I was welcomed like family to the resort, a glass of punch from a long day of traveling went down a treat.The pools were huge and the temperature was just right. It was comfortable and beautiful, I'm 26 and travelling with my family my expectations were to enjoy a relaxing vacation. I was travelling with my parents, my 24yr old sister and my younger siblings aged 9 and 10. I was concerned their wouldn't be much to do the age I am but we had a blast. Relaxing on the beach, drinking fantastic cocktails, great food. They had an entertainment crew that put on events every night for the people staying at the resort, from karaoke to dance competitions and made it really fun.
The team and the staff themselves went beyond my expectations, they seriously greeted me by name everyday and I made a point to get to know them. There wasn't the "crazy nightlife" I thought but the resort next door to us had a party every night and being so close made it easy to get to. The thing that blew me away on this trip was what was included. We got to discover scuba diving, wind surf, kayak, snorkel, sail the catamaran, and the food and drinks were fantastic. Tip- if you're staying here sign up for activities as quickly as possible the slots fill up fast, especially discover scuba or the boat trips.
The only thing I would mention is it being so hot I would advise the restaurants to keep a closer eye on where the stored their produce and dairy products to ensure freshness. You've all heard horror stories of people getting sick on vacation. Well some of the people we met at the resort had come down ill and couldn't explain it other than to assume it was something that ate at the resort. This not being proven, and me pigging out and not getting sick, hey who knows but that's just some advice for maybe the resort to keep an eye on.

To name a few people at the resort that made a great impression:
Benjamin
Beverly
Pedro
Tirson
Roxanne
(there are so many more).

If I were to pick a resort to come back to, this would be it.

The a/c in the room was perfect, the beach was clean, and the break water made it safe for all ages to swim in. The room was spacious and comfortable the only other thing I would recommend is in our room they had carpeting under the beds, I'd remove it. You could smell it had retained some damp from people coming in and out of the sea/pool. Still that wouldn't stop me from coming back and even though the kids are too young to write a review the entire kids club staff were amazing. The kids didn't want to leave!

I can't wait to go back. Thanks for having our family stay with yours. Emily Boughey

Room Tip: They're renovating the tower, if you're booking try and see if you can get a renovated room.
8  Thank emilyboughey
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We just returned from a week long trip for our honeymoon where we had a wonderful time. The staff was cheerful and helpful, the beach was beautiful and it was a great value. We really enjoyed trying every restaurant and swimming in all of the pools. The service was friendly and prompt, we never had to wait for drinks or meals. There were also plenty of shady beach and pool chairs for us to use each day. The grounds are gorgeous and it is a great value for what you receive. We enjoyed snorkeling right at the hotel and appreciated access to the hotel's snorkel equipment. We were very pleased with our stay. Our room was comfortable, although the bed was quite hard. There is limited hot water; we didn't mind the lukewarm showers but if you want a warm one, be sure to shower before the pre-dinner rush! There was wifi in the lobby which was an unexpected surprise and the location is very convenient. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Totally satisfied with our vacation at the Sunscape. Greeted with fruit punch cocktails and cold hand towels to freshen up with in the lobby while waiting to check in. Very nice touch since it was 95 degrees out. The room was very comfortable (mattress was a little hard) and everything worked. Large flat screen TV on the wall had good channel choices. Generous supply of lotions and soaps. We were on the third floor in the Flamingo building with an outstanding view of the resort and the sea. Drinks were all top shelf and plentiful - as noted in other reviews not all bars served the same liquor... so a little scouting might be necessary. Yes the glasses were small - so order two drinks and combine... always got satisfactory service at all the bars and I tried them all including the swim-up bar. The buffet is just that -- a plentiful buffet with something for everyone if you have some patience to try a variety of what you might like... for breakfast there was an omellete and egg station to order, good fresh fruit and cereals, good whole grain bread for toast, etc, etc. Lunch varied in main course the baked/rotisserie chicken was fresh and excellent. One day they had a roast pork that was hard and tasteless but right next to it was a pork roll up in gravy that was excellent. Diner options were varied we had very good service and food at the Italian, Seafood and Steak restaurants. The Salmon was awesome, the whole red snapper impressive... the grounds were being constantly maintained, the pools were cleaned every AM about 7 to 10 by the same rotating crew. The espresso bar in the lobby busy all day and very good. Unfortunately, on the last day there, I tripped and fell over my new flip flops at the main pool. The on site nurse Verna and manager Kurt of the hotel were so very concerned and could not have handled the situation any better -- had the Doctor there to assure I was OK.. I cannot overstate how concerned and caring the management team was. I/we would go back to the Sunscape Curacao in a heartbeat... Don't forget to make reservations a day or two in advance for the free shuttle to Downtown and the airport... fills up quickly.

Room Tip: There are a large variety of room choices at the Sunscape (from courtyard only to walk out on the be...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Thomas P
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for the fantastic review and wonderful comments! We were delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time at our resort.
Ii was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your collaboration and we hope to see you again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Management
Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & casino

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Very nice all inclusive resort for family holiday (parents and two boys 7 and 4 y). Pools are good for kids. You can snorkel nicely from the beach. Lots of activities available. Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms in building 2 would need little bit of renovation, but space was good enough for us to be in one room. Food was good and there was a really wide selection of different types of food on every meal.

5  Thank MJH33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Papagayo Beach Resort
#11 of 32 in Willemstad
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!