5,631 results
All reviewssun clubbluewater grilljapanese restaurantentertainment teamworld cafeflamingo buildinga la carte restaurantsseafoodda mariofire showthe blue water grillcoco cafeoceana barjohnny rocketbaby lovecandy mankids club
Reviewed 12 November 2013

As a customer service quality officer in Europe, my assesment finding are:
1. Customer service while making/paying reservation - 1 out of 5. Calling or writing to the resort is a waste of time and money. Costs a lot but now adequate info will be provided, email doesn't even work as they said.
2. Customer service at the service desk - 2 of 5. Check-in slow. No help with baggage in late check-in, early check-out. Provide only basic info. Manager will listens to the problem but offer no solution.
2. Medical help - 1 out of 5. With twisted ankle and class cut in the leg, no help was offered. Have to have medical incurance card with you, because only help they offer is calling the taxi to take you to the hospital.
3. Beach - 3 of 5. Nice reef and snorkeling spots, also variety of watersport equipment but beach is filled with sharp pieces of reef and class bottles, so water shoes is a must!
4. Food - 3 of 5. Food is good, but the service is slow (except on Himitsus and Di Marios).
5. Entertainment - 4 of 5, Something for all ages.
6. Room 2 of 5. View was nice but even renovated room needs new renovation (scratches, broken spots). Floor very wet and slippery in the mornings, kids fell twice. Room service doesn't know the clock and what to bring. Bottle water is a luxury item only for the preffered club. They suggest to use local water, but sorry, it was no good to make baby food.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Reili P
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your recent stay with us. We take every comment received very seriously in order to continue improving our services.

It is regrettable to learn that you encountered several situation during your stay that may have tampered with your vacations. We need to share that corrective actions are taken to avoid this kind of situations.
Please rest assured knowing that we are currently working on the points mentioned above in order to significantly improve our service.
Should you need more information, please don't hesitate in contacting us.

Remaining at your services and wishing you a pleasant day.

Yours Sincerely,

Management

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I was at the Sunscape Curaçao with a large group of friends and I can not begin to describe the kindness and hospitality that your staff there showed us. It was phenomenal and I felt I needed to write in to acknowledge everything your staff did for our entired group.

The staff around the resort were great, almost everyone else in our group made friends with a couple of staff members and that staff member would always come over and say hi to that person when they would see them on the resort.

The one staff member that stood out was Aníbal, he was phenomenal. Always unbelievably nice, he worked every where on the resort and seemed to never go home. Not only was he extremely personable but still very professional and always seemed to be working hard.

I love F&B !

Thank you!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank Smarli
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Smarli,

Thank you so much for writing about your great experience at the resort. We are excited to share your comments directly with the folks you recognized in your review! They really appreciate the recognition and all work very hard to ensure our guests have a fantastic and a memorable vacation.

We hope you return to our beautiful island soon. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Thank you for choosing us.

Yours sincerely,

Management

Reviewed 7 November 2013

My daughter and I traveled here on our annual mother/daughter trip and we were so pleasantly surprised! We had read every review and were a bit apprehensive about the negativism. We were totally blown away by the friendliness of the entire staff and of their willingness to please and make your vacation memorable! Do not believe the untrue reviews about the staff! They were always smiling and exceedingly pleasant! There was not one staff member there that was unfriendly!!!
We were met immediately after going through customs and transported to the resort. The desk clerk was friendly and efficient and offered us an upgrade for a small fee. Our room was in the Plover building (I think) and on the ground floor facing the beach. Just step out on the patio and we were on the beach! The room was nicely decorated and we didn't think the beds were uncomfortable. The main negative about the room was the lighting. It was not possible to put on make-up or do your hair in the bathroom as there was no lighting above the mirror and it was hard to see, even during the daytime. A few hooks and a towel bar in the bathroom would be nice also. There was a big bottle of both shampoo and conditioner. We did have to request more towels a few times, but it was not a big deal. Our room was stocked and cleaned by Graciela and she was a complete joy!!! I did complain twice about the water spigot right outside our room. It was used day and night to fill mop buckets. The only time it bothered us was in the middle of the night (2:30ish) when someone would drag a mop bucket on the walk and fill it! I woke up every night, hearing it even though I have a sound machine! Even though I complained, it did not stop. The room had a nice-sized safe, adequate storage and a great flat- screen TV with lots of channels, a nice patio with chairs and table and a fridge. We told Graciela that we would like extra water and Diet Coke and got it every day!
We went to the casino once and enjoyed it. Vegas it is not, but the slots were cheap and we had fun.
We ate at all the restaurants and found them all adequate. Not delicious, but nothing really to complain about. The service is more laid back than at home, but that was okay. We were there to relax! We enjoyed the Oceana and eating outside under the stars. The Italian restaurant was nice also and we chose to eat outside. We ate at the Japanese restaurant twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food here was he best of all the restaurants. The whole ten days we were there, we observed no one receiving dress code admonishments or no one with children being refused service. I don't like buffets, but I did eat there, mostly for breakfast. They had more of a variety of foods than I've normally seen at all-inclusive buffets. The grill on the beach and the Oceana were great for lunch and snacks! Loved the fresh fish, chicken and burgers! And the French fries! The coffee bar was great and loved being able to get special coffees made to order!
We brought our own Tervis Tumblers and would highly recommend it! Our drinks were bigger and stayed cold. The drinks were mostly all very, very good and some would make them "from scratch" for you. They would remember what you liked even. A huge shout-out to Riomar "Rio"-- you are the BEST!!! The house red wine was good also--a very rare occurrence in all-inclusives. For some reason that no one could explain, there was no white wine available anywhere the whole time we were there? Only one beer choice, Amsdel, I think. And some liquor unavailable at some bars. A little continuity would be good! Many reviewers said the drinks were weak or watered down? We thought they were just fine.
We enjoyed the entertainment around the pool and the whole entertainment staff was energetic, friendly and fun! A little more variety of entertainment might be nice though.
The beach is very nice. I live in a city with spectacular beaches, so it's difficult to judge other beaches. It could have been cleaned a little better because there were straws in the sand a lot. Never been to an all-inclusive that gave straws with drinks?!? There were a lot of chairs available and quite a few available in shaded areas. The beach has coral and rocks so bring water shoes. The water was clear and warm and lots of free water sports such as Hobie sailboats, kayaks and snorkel rentals. If you love to snorkel, I'd suggest bringing your own snorkel gear as you can only rent it for an hour at a time. That way, you can snorkel whenever you want! There is LOTS to see along the rock barrier and the water is calm. I didn't venture beyond the wall, but I saw a lot of snorkelers out there. It was generally quiet on the beach and we both so enjoyed lounging, napping and reading there.
My daughter is a scuba diver and did several dives. She was thrilled to take advantage of the free daily guided shore dive and said nothing but good things about it. The paid dive trips are somewhat pricier than other places we've been.
The pools were very nice and clean and very refreshing. We enjoyed the pool bar with the water tables and chairs. There is a sign that says no children, but it was never enforced. There is plenty of space for children outside of the bar area. That was a big negative for us as several times we were relaxing with a drink and a child either jumped in beside us or swam or snorkeled by splashing water into our drinks. Ick.
The resort seemed very safe with security personal visible at all times. We never saw anyone on the beach who was not a guest at the resort. And, although locals do go to the casino, they are not able to exit the door coming into the resort. It was wonderful not to be hassled on the beach by people wanting to braid your hair or selling cigars and souvenirs!!!
There is a big blow-up movie screen and it was set-up nightly for a movie every night under the stars, complete with popcorn and lemonade or punch. There is a shuttle that takes you into town so you can shop and sightsee. It is a very nice town with friendly people and worth it to go see.
The resort is very kid-friendly and it seemed very safe for the somewhat older kids to go about the resort on their own. They have a supervised kid program and the kids always looked like they were having a blast!
All in all, this is a great resort, not big but not too small. Friendly, happy employees and nicely maintained! I would definitely be thrilled to go back!
Oh! I did want to mention tipping. My daughter and I always tip. Not a big amount or for every single drink. But we did tip our housekeeper daily and gave our meal servers tips and the bartenders. There was no one who didn't graciously thank us and appreciate it. We saw very few people who were tipping. We just think it is the right thing to do!
I am sorry I didn't write down names of more staff to personally mention! But, honestly, everyone was so very nice, friendly, smiling and helpful and had a good work ethic!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
16  Thank wagner5125
Reviewed 6 November 2013

like most others, i did the whole reading reviews and got really nervous at first. then the reviews started getting better and i was feeling a little more relaxed, plus my husband and i decided that we were going with an open mind and were going to have a super time no matter what. and we did just that!
took the free shuttle to the resort, were greeted with a cold fruity punch, walked right up to the counter and checked in. front desk staff were professional and kind, greeted us with "Welcome Home". john (who is also on the entertainment team) took us to our room and told us about the resort and such...super great guy! we requested one of the renovated rooms in bldg 7 and we got it. its not huge and the mattress was a bit firm, but hey we weren't here to hang out in our rooms the entire trip. A/C was fine b/c we could adjust to whatever temp we wanted. the stocked mini bar is nothing much, however the first 2 nights i asked the front desk for some bottled water in our room...then every night after, without asking i had a bottle of water in our room. nice initative!!
the grounds were nice. several activities to do on the resort. we snorked each morning. beaches - there are 3; yes it does get rocky in some of the areas but just be careful or bring water shoes. once you get past them, it's sandy and crystal clear water...amazing!! the views from the beach and from our room were just amazing. restaurants - we didn't eat at all of them, but Oceania was our fav....Sasha and Norma were super!
we did leave the resort one morning, rented a car which was arranged right there in the lobby. i so wish i could remember the lady's name that arranged it....she was so helpful and a pleasure to work with. we decided to do that instead of the tour b/c it was so cheap and we could be on our own schedule. she gave us a map and circle some beaches that we needed to check out. we drove the entire island, walked around Punda and enjoyed the AMAZING beaches on the island.
all of the staff were very friendly. we participated the first night with the entertainment...battle of the sexes...and had a blast. plus after that all the entertainment staff called us by name, Stefan and Jenny, every time they saw us. you can definitely tell that everyone there is really working hard to make sure everyone has a wonderful time and want our feedback to make constant improvements.
we just went down for 4 nights and so wished we were staying longer. but, we are planning to come back next year with our 2 boys and stay for a week. october was a great time to go b/c it wasn't so crowded and the weather was amazing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank jennyprimke
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My fiance and I had the most amazing time at Sunscape Curacao. I don't know if it'll be possible to give it the thoroughly awesome review it deserves. Here is an overview:

SERVICE
- prompt shuttle service from airport to hotel
- check-in was a little slow, because there is a lot of paperwork to fill out, but otherwise smooth. We did not do the preferred club. We were greeted off the shuttle with cold glasses of fruit punch, which was refreshing.
- the concierge and VIP ladies (Angelique, Olivia, Sonaly, and Verlys (sp?)) were utterly amazing. They helped us with directions, with guidance on things to do, reservations, discounts, etc.. They are worth their weight in gold. When we informed them that we were celebrating our engagement, they (Sonaly) sent a bottle of champagne and a plate of fresh fruit to our room. Really amazing.
- The entertainment crew (ChooChoo, G-jo, and others) was AWESOME. My fiance and I did karaoke Sunday night, but wanted to keep the party going after it ended at 11pm. ChooChoo gathered a few of us guests and took us over to Mambo Beach as a group. He went above and beyond what was necessary (even after his work hours!) to make sure we had a great time. Really commendable.
- We experienced excellent service whereever we went. We brought $50 in singles with us to tip throughout the trip - we figured it was a small expense for guaranteeing good service. It was well worth it (though tips were not expected). Some others complained about service, but they were pretty obnoxious to the servers and bartenders. General observation- just because it is an all-inclusive resort does not mean that the golden rule does not apply. Please treat others the way you would like to be treated yourself.

FOOD
- We had a private dinner for two, and it was really wonderful. We were beachside and the service was excellent. We were there for 3hrs and were never rushed. The lobster was good, but interesting- I believe it's a different species than that found in the US.
- The Japanese hibachi was very good; the Italian restaurant was good, but inauthentic (we're spoiled, we're from New York)
- Beverages were great. I can understand why some people think the cups are on the small side . . . but I didn't mind. After all, you can just walk to the bar and get a refill whenever you want, right? And if you want extra liquor, just ask for a double - they don't mind doing that.

ROOM/ AMENITIES/ AMBIANCE
- We stayed in a deluxe oceanfront room, which walked out directly to the beach. AMAZING view. The room was in an older building (Seagull) but appeared to have been freshly renovated. Cleaned thoroughly everyday (mopping and everything). Was impressive. Likely beats the accommodations found in the Preferred Club.
- Snorkeling was great. The resort offers so many activities that we couldn't take advantage of most of them during our stay! (windsurfing, pedal-boating, kayaking, dive class, other classes, etc).
- The spa was alright. My fiance got a massage and enjoyed it. Other spa services left a little to be desired.
- The water was beautiful and warm. The beaches were a little rocky, but the resort had people raking and scooping rocks out of the sand. I couldn't believe they did that. It's best to use the beach by the Preferred Club; you must be in the club to use those chairs, but you're welcome to park your things at a chair elsewhere and walk over to the Preferred beach.
- Gym was well-stocked, and unsurprisingly, never busy.
- Family friendly atmosphere. Not a crazy party resort, more appropriate for relaxing. Not super luxurious, but you definitely do not do without.
- Open-minded atmosphere. I appreciated that I was able to hold my fiance's hand with no qualms (we are a lgbt couple). Any adverse reactions (very few) came from other guests, never the staff.

Summary: Excellent resort, excellent value. It is not a place where you go to hobnob with the ostensibly rich or pretentious - it's an oasis where you relax and get taken care of. Also, a million times better than staying in Willemstad, since you get to experience the natural beauty of the island. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Oceanview deluxe or oceanfront deluxe are the way to go. In talking to those in preferred club, we realized that our room was actually better.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple