5,681 results
All reviews sun club bluewater grill japanese restaurant entertainment team world cafe flamingo building a la carte restaurants seafood da mario fire show the blue water grill coco cafe oceana bar johnny rocket baby love candy man kids club
Reviewed 12 November 2013

What a magnificent experience! We stayed at Sunscape Resort for four nights and every night was amazing. I will break down the amenities for review purposes.

Hotel room- we stayed in the Pelican section with two queen beds. Our room was two feet from the beach with magnificent views and breath taking sunsets. The patio opened up to the Oceana bar and had a small relaxing pool. The room was clean, mini bar filled daily, had good toiletries, comfy bed and pillows, good variety of tv stations, safe, and nice bathroom. It also had a side table and ottoman with good size closet.

Food- we tried every restaurant during our stay. Make sure to make reservations at the Japanese restaurant as soon as you can because it's limited. (The food was good with chicken, beef, fish, and shrimp.) The buffet was less than average in my opinion but wasn't terrible. The Italian restaurant was good and had nice ambiance. The Oceana fresh seafood was nice outdoor beach seating. Really fresh fish that was tasty. My favorite was the blue water grill on the water. It has steak and more fancy of options but be prepared to wait as it gets busy. We got beepers for both Oceana and Blue water on the nights we went.

Drinks- you have access to drinks everywhere and do what the other reviews say- bring a tall tevis cup or a big cup from home. I didn't feel the size was that small but when it's hot and you're thirsty you don't want to make 20 trips to get more refills.

Water sports- the resort has 3 or 4 kayaks, one paddle leg row boat, two wind surfing boards, and snorkel gear. They have lessons to teach you if you need it. Thanks to Richie and Benjamin I loved trying to wind surf. If you walk down to the public beach you can rent jet skis. They are also providing the towels at the sport location.

Beach- beautiful but owe! I suggest water shoes because the beach is rocky and full of coral which really hurts your feet. I got scraped and cut on it which wasn't pleasant. The water is warm and clear for great snorkeling. There were quite a bit of different fish we saw. There are beach loungers but you need to get there early to claim them or wait till later in the day. A few days there were available ones but I feel they'd be taken during busy travel dates.

Location- it's located on the east side of the island and it's about a 20 minute drive from the hotel in no traffic. You can take the bus at the stop right across the street (thanks Raymond) into town for $2. It's safe and very clean. Good shopping and you can see the famous painted buildings. It's also about a ten minute walk to the Sea Aquarium. There are a few other places to see beaches or night life about five minutes away. And I highly recommend the buggy tour across the street!

Staff service- indescribable! I have never been so impressed with the level of service I received during my stay. Each and every staff member was pleasant and kind. A lot of them went out of their way to help when needed. We were greeted by everyone we came in contact with and it's obvious customer service is a priority.

Spa- it was nice inside and has normal services although I felt the prices were a little high. I had a deep tissue massage (50 min) and it was $134. It was nice.

Daily activities/kid area- we didn't bring the kids but they had a nice area especially for them. We didn't participate in any day activities because we were busy doing tours but they have stuff going on. The night time activities are by the main pool and were somewhat entertaining. There were a lot of older people there during our stay and we're not willing to participate in dancing competitions or battle of the sexes Ect. There's also a disco open at 11 pm but the one night we went there were not a lot of people in there.

Casino- tables and slots and a pretty good size.

Note: bring bug spay!

We loved our stay and I highly recommend this resort. However my only complaint was regarding the internet service. They have wifi which they charge a ridiculous amount for and it's ONLY available in the lobby. So you pay a good amount of cash to have to sit in the lobby and check your email, or FaceTime with everyone else and no privacy of your own room. Now this isn't a problem for some who want to get away from it all but I think most people like privacy.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank amanda42
Reviewed 12 November 2013

As a customer service quality officer in Europe, my assesment finding are:
1. Customer service while making/paying reservation - 1 out of 5. Calling or writing to the resort is a waste of time and money. Costs a lot but now adequate info will be provided, email doesn't even work as they said.
2. Customer service at the service desk - 2 of 5. Check-in slow. No help with baggage in late check-in, early check-out. Provide only basic info. Manager will listens to the problem but offer no solution.
2. Medical help - 1 out of 5. With twisted ankle and class cut in the leg, no help was offered. Have to have medical incurance card with you, because only help they offer is calling the taxi to take you to the hospital.
3. Beach - 3 of 5. Nice reef and snorkeling spots, also variety of watersport equipment but beach is filled with sharp pieces of reef and class bottles, so water shoes is a must!
4. Food - 3 of 5. Food is good, but the service is slow (except on Himitsus and Di Marios).
5. Entertainment - 4 of 5, Something for all ages.
6. Room 2 of 5. View was nice but even renovated room needs new renovation (scratches, broken spots). Floor very wet and slippery in the mornings, kids fell twice. Room service doesn't know the clock and what to bring. Bottle water is a luxury item only for the preffered club. They suggest to use local water, but sorry, it was no good to make baby food.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Reili P
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your recent stay with us. We take every comment received very seriously in order to continue improving our services.

It is regrettable to learn that you encountered several situation during your stay that may have tampered with your vacations. We need to share that corrective actions are taken to avoid this kind of situations.
Please rest assured knowing that we are currently working on the points mentioned above in order to significantly improve our service.
Should you need more information, please don't hesitate in contacting us.

Remaining at your services and wishing you a pleasant day.

Yours Sincerely,

Management

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I was at the Sunscape Curaçao with a large group of friends and I can not begin to describe the kindness and hospitality that your staff there showed us. It was phenomenal and I felt I needed to write in to acknowledge everything your staff did for our entired group.

The staff around the resort were great, almost everyone else in our group made friends with a couple of staff members and that staff member would always come over and say hi to that person when they would see them on the resort.

The one staff member that stood out was Aníbal, he was phenomenal. Always unbelievably nice, he worked every where on the resort and seemed to never go home. Not only was he extremely personable but still very professional and always seemed to be working hard.

I love F&B !

Thank you!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank Smarli
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Smarli,

Thank you so much for writing about your great experience at the resort. We are excited to share your comments directly with the folks you recognized in your review! They really appreciate the recognition and all work very hard to ensure our guests have a fantastic and a memorable vacation.

We hope you return to our beautiful island soon. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Thank you for choosing us.

Yours sincerely,

Management

Reviewed 7 November 2013

My daughter and I traveled here on our annual mother/daughter trip and we were so pleasantly surprised! We had read every review and were a bit apprehensive about the negativism. We were totally blown away by the friendliness of the entire staff and of their willingness to please and make your vacation memorable! Do not believe the untrue reviews about the staff! They were always smiling and exceedingly pleasant! There was not one staff member there that was unfriendly!!!
We were met immediately after going through customs and transported to the resort. The desk clerk was friendly and efficient and offered us an upgrade for a small fee. Our room was in the Plover building (I think) and on the ground floor facing the beach. Just step out on the patio and we were on the beach! The room was nicely decorated and we didn't think the beds were uncomfortable. The main negative about the room was the lighting. It was not possible to put on make-up or do your hair in the bathroom as there was no lighting above the mirror and it was hard to see, even during the daytime. A few hooks and a towel bar in the bathroom would be nice also. There was a big bottle of both shampoo and conditioner. We did have to request more towels a few times, but it was not a big deal. Our room was stocked and cleaned by Graciela and she was a complete joy!!! I did complain twice about the water spigot right outside our room. It was used day and night to fill mop buckets. The only time it bothered us was in the middle of the night (2:30ish) when someone would drag a mop bucket on the walk and fill it! I woke up every night, hearing it even though I have a sound machine! Even though I complained, it did not stop. The room had a nice-sized safe, adequate storage and a great flat- screen TV with lots of channels, a nice patio with chairs and table and a fridge. We told Graciela that we would like extra water and Diet Coke and got it every day!
We went to the casino once and enjoyed it. Vegas it is not, but the slots were cheap and we had fun.
We ate at all the restaurants and found them all adequate. Not delicious, but nothing really to complain about. The service is more laid back than at home, but that was okay. We were there to relax! We enjoyed the Oceana and eating outside under the stars. The Italian restaurant was nice also and we chose to eat outside. We ate at the Japanese restaurant twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food here was he best of all the restaurants. The whole ten days we were there, we observed no one receiving dress code admonishments or no one with children being refused service. I don't like buffets, but I did eat there, mostly for breakfast. They had more of a variety of foods than I've normally seen at all-inclusive buffets. The grill on the beach and the Oceana were great for lunch and snacks! Loved the fresh fish, chicken and burgers! And the French fries! The coffee bar was great and loved being able to get special coffees made to order!
We brought our own Tervis Tumblers and would highly recommend it! Our drinks were bigger and stayed cold. The drinks were mostly all very, very good and some would make them "from scratch" for you. They would remember what you liked even. A huge shout-out to Riomar "Rio"-- you are the BEST!!! The house red wine was good also--a very rare occurrence in all-inclusives. For some reason that no one could explain, there was no white wine available anywhere the whole time we were there? Only one beer choice, Amsdel, I think. And some liquor unavailable at some bars. A little continuity would be good! Many reviewers said the drinks were weak or watered down? We thought they were just fine.
We enjoyed the entertainment around the pool and the whole entertainment staff was energetic, friendly and fun! A little more variety of entertainment might be nice though.
The beach is very nice. I live in a city with spectacular beaches, so it's difficult to judge other beaches. It could have been cleaned a little better because there were straws in the sand a lot. Never been to an all-inclusive that gave straws with drinks?!? There were a lot of chairs available and quite a few available in shaded areas. The beach has coral and rocks so bring water shoes. The water was clear and warm and lots of free water sports such as Hobie sailboats, kayaks and snorkel rentals. If you love to snorkel, I'd suggest bringing your own snorkel gear as you can only rent it for an hour at a time. That way, you can snorkel whenever you want! There is LOTS to see along the rock barrier and the water is calm. I didn't venture beyond the wall, but I saw a lot of snorkelers out there. It was generally quiet on the beach and we both so enjoyed lounging, napping and reading there.
My daughter is a scuba diver and did several dives. She was thrilled to take advantage of the free daily guided shore dive and said nothing but good things about it. The paid dive trips are somewhat pricier than other places we've been.
The pools were very nice and clean and very refreshing. We enjoyed the pool bar with the water tables and chairs. There is a sign that says no children, but it was never enforced. There is plenty of space for children outside of the bar area. That was a big negative for us as several times we were relaxing with a drink and a child either jumped in beside us or swam or snorkeled by splashing water into our drinks. Ick.
The resort seemed very safe with security personal visible at all times. We never saw anyone on the beach who was not a guest at the resort. And, although locals do go to the casino, they are not able to exit the door coming into the resort. It was wonderful not to be hassled on the beach by people wanting to braid your hair or selling cigars and souvenirs!!!
There is a big blow-up movie screen and it was set-up nightly for a movie every night under the stars, complete with popcorn and lemonade or punch. There is a shuttle that takes you into town so you can shop and sightsee. It is a very nice town with friendly people and worth it to go see.
The resort is very kid-friendly and it seemed very safe for the somewhat older kids to go about the resort on their own. They have a supervised kid program and the kids always looked like they were having a blast!
All in all, this is a great resort, not big but not too small. Friendly, happy employees and nicely maintained! I would definitely be thrilled to go back!
Oh! I did want to mention tipping. My daughter and I always tip. Not a big amount or for every single drink. But we did tip our housekeeper daily and gave our meal servers tips and the bartenders. There was no one who didn't graciously thank us and appreciate it. We saw very few people who were tipping. We just think it is the right thing to do!
I am sorry I didn't write down names of more staff to personally mention! But, honestly, everyone was so very nice, friendly, smiling and helpful and had a good work ethic!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
16  Thank wagner5125
Reviewed 6 November 2013

like most others, i did the whole reading reviews and got really nervous at first. then the reviews started getting better and i was feeling a little more relaxed, plus my husband and i decided that we were going with an open mind and were going to have a super time no matter what. and we did just that!
took the free shuttle to the resort, were greeted with a cold fruity punch, walked right up to the counter and checked in. front desk staff were professional and kind, greeted us with "Welcome Home". john (who is also on the entertainment team) took us to our room and told us about the resort and such...super great guy! we requested one of the renovated rooms in bldg 7 and we got it. its not huge and the mattress was a bit firm, but hey we weren't here to hang out in our rooms the entire trip. A/C was fine b/c we could adjust to whatever temp we wanted. the stocked mini bar is nothing much, however the first 2 nights i asked the front desk for some bottled water in our room...then every night after, without asking i had a bottle of water in our room. nice initative!!
the grounds were nice. several activities to do on the resort. we snorked each morning. beaches - there are 3; yes it does get rocky in some of the areas but just be careful or bring water shoes. once you get past them, it's sandy and crystal clear water...amazing!! the views from the beach and from our room were just amazing. restaurants - we didn't eat at all of them, but Oceania was our fav....Sasha and Norma were super!
we did leave the resort one morning, rented a car which was arranged right there in the lobby. i so wish i could remember the lady's name that arranged it....she was so helpful and a pleasure to work with. we decided to do that instead of the tour b/c it was so cheap and we could be on our own schedule. she gave us a map and circle some beaches that we needed to check out. we drove the entire island, walked around Punda and enjoyed the AMAZING beaches on the island.
all of the staff were very friendly. we participated the first night with the entertainment...battle of the sexes...and had a blast. plus after that all the entertainment staff called us by name, Stefan and Jenny, every time they saw us. you can definitely tell that everyone there is really working hard to make sure everyone has a wonderful time and want our feedback to make constant improvements.
we just went down for 4 nights and so wished we were staying longer. but, we are planning to come back next year with our 2 boys and stay for a week. october was a great time to go b/c it wasn't so crowded and the weather was amazing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple