Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Avila Beach Hotel(Willemstad)
BijBlauw(Willemstad)
5,299 results
All reviewssun clubjapanese restaurantbluewater grillentertainment teamworld cafea la carte restaurantsflamingo buildingpreferred clubda mariofire showseafoodthe blue water grillcoco cafecandy manjohnny rocketoceana barbaby love
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a bit overdue, but my husband and I took our THIRD fantastic vacation at Sunscape this September. We have seen the hotel change hands and witnessed several improvements over the past few years, but the wonderful service remained the same. We have been married 11 years, and for the first 9 years we picked a different all-inclusive hotel on a different island each year for our anniversary. That was until we stayed here three years ago. We love it so much we keep going back.

SERVICE: While the hotel and beach are beautiful, it’s the service and the people at Sunscape that keep us coming back. Kurt, the reservations manager, always makes us feel at home. He’ll go out of his way to make sure your room and your vacation are perfect. Bartender Chin Ping is one of the best on the island. He’s always ready with a smile, a great concoction and helpful advise for seeing the island. He’s so fun, you have to find him. The service at the restaurants, bars and front desk all are superb.

BEACH: The beach at the hotel is huge, with several sections spread out the entire length of the property. My favorite section is at the far end, where the snorkeling is wonderful. Tons of different fish, and we talked to people on two different trips who saw an octopus. There is a reef out from the beach that breaks up the waves and makes it really nice. If you stay in the upgraded rooms, you’ll have access to a private section of beach on this end complete with butler service and a private pool. We were in this section this past trip. You also get access to a VIP room in the lobby with free wifi, which is nice.

ROOMS: We’ve stayed in three separate areas of the hotel. The first year, we were on one of the main end rooms (Room No. 7122). This is my favorite, by far. We were on the ground floor, and it was amazing with a nice wide-open view of the water just steps from the beach. The second year, we stayed in the tower. It was a huge room with a really, really nice view of downtown and the entire property. This year, we again stayed on the far end of the hotel. This time we stayed on the third floor. Keep in mind there are no elevators in these buildings, so if you don’t like stairs you’ll need to request a ground level room. All of the rooms in the hotel either have been renovated over the past year or so or are under renovation now. The renovations looked great. They were making over the tower while we were there.

RESTAURANTS: They added a new restaurant this year, Oceana, which was a really nice seafood restaurant on the beach. It’s really good, especially the shrimp. The Japanese steakhouse is wonderful, the barbeque restaurant is really nice (especially the ribs!!!), and the Italian is nice, although it’s pretty slow. If you’re celebrating any sort of special occasion, the dinner on the beach is definitely worth the extra money. My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary, and it definitely made it the perfect night. We had the lobster and shrimp meal, and it was to die for!

AWAY FROM THE HOTEL: No visit to Curacao is complete without visiting the other great beaches on the island. While the beach at the hotel is fabulous, nothing compares to those on the west side of the island. My husband and I have rented a car for the past two years. Don’t be too intimidated to do this. If you get a GPS you can explore the entire island. We rent through Just Drive. It’s a great local company that I highly suggest. It’s not located right at the airport, but they’ll bring you a car. The island is small, the infrastructure is good and it’s safe. You have to see Porto Marie and Grote Knip and the long line of beaches on your way to West Punt, where you can eat at the restaurant at Playa Forti where the owner catches Lion Fish and cooks it up as you overlook the fishing waters and watch cliff divers. If you’re feeling really adventurous, try the stewed goat!

I really can’t say enough good things about this resort. Like I said, our goal is to go to every island. But this one keeps bringing us back.

Room Tip: If you're anywhere other than the tower, ask for the bottom floor because there are no elevators. My favorite room is No. 7122, which is steps from the beach and the bar!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank dpotter
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Upon our arrival it was raining, I have never stayed at a resort where I have to walk ouside in the elements to my room, to my surprise we were sent to our room in the pouring rain, no cover on the trolley with our luggage, they got wet our clothes were soaking wet no apology even when I complained. We had to dry them ourselves on the patio. There were no was cloth in the bathroom we called down three times still we never receive them I had to walk down to the front dest at 9pm and ask for wash.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Hortense C O
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We were at the resort from November 2nd thru 9th 2013. The hotel STAFF was great at helping and trying to help with any problems. We were upset at check in, we traveled with another couple and found out they were upgraded and we weren't. We were on opposite sides of the resort. They finally got the rooms fixed and all was well. Our personal phones didn't work and "GUEST SERVICES" hooked us up to their wifi service so we could check on our family's at home. Food at the buffet was not kept as warm as it could have been but was of good quality. A special thanks to Chef Serafin for cooking us a great dinner and went out of his way to make everyone happy and he seemed more than happy to do it. The Entertainment staff (Willy wonka, Chuechoo and Crazy G.) all went out of their way to make sure we were having a good time, that made the stay around the pool a fun time. If you are looking for a Resort with a party this isn't it, but if you want to relax this is the place, no one tries to rush you here or there. The management staff kept "checking" on us to make sure all was well & asked for some advice on how to make the experiance better for all. One comment was made about turning down the bed at night with chocolate on the pillow, sure enough that night that was taken care of (my wife loved it). The question I have answerd most from others is would you go back? YES. THANKS SUNSCAPE AGAIN FOR A GREAT TIME

Room Tip: In a group? Request adjointing rooms, not rooms together. E-Mail ahead for special requests
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Don O
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Why I didn't give this a 5 rating is because we booked a ocean view room and when we got there, we were told they were 100% booked so we got a garden view(which wasn't the problem but still confused on how we didn't get our ocean view room when we booked this in March) ok back to the story. We finally got to our room probably 11pm and my husband had a friend there that flew in a few days before us so his friend was ready to go out with the locals and when they came strolling back in a 4am his room key didn't work so he went to the front desk and told them his room key didn't work and he needed another one. Well they told him that room was empty and no one was in there(remember 100% booked) and that he would have to wait till check in at
3pm to get another room card so my husband sat on a park bench outside the lobby for 5 hours waiting for me to come find him!! He was upset and so was I when I woke up to realize my husband was not back yet and I'm sorry but that is not good customer service to let my husband sit outside thinking since we got the wrong room that they moved us after he left so that really started our trip out on the wrong foot! I sadly spent that day just being VERY upset with the resort!!

Ok so now I have shaken that off and decided that we were there with all our friends and that we were going to have a great time and oh boy did we have a great time!! Let me tell you the entertainment team we loved...they really make the whole place fun! We miss Choo Choo, Pedro, John(Rocket) and Crazy G and these entertainment guys made us feel so welcome and special! Tim the restaurant and bar manager, he was so wonderful too!!
Everyone is so pleasant there and after they serve you they always say my pleasure and really
loved that customer service!! If you are looking for the BEST bartender there by all means his name is Renee and let me tell you he can make the drinks!!

When we finally got our ocean view room, we were in the Royal Towers and loved our room!
Clean, nice size and no complaints there other then we were on the 4th floor and one day the service elevator was out of order all day long which wasn't a problem for me but sure could have been a problem for someone else. Oh yes my other beef about our room was that 3 days we had no water in the shower, which sorry but that is something that you just want to do in the mornings to start your day out so that needs to be worked on too!

Like I said it really was a great trip and we will return but some things need to be attended to first!
The FOOD........OMG was great and it didn't matter where we ate at, it was all just amazing so you cant go wrong picking any of those restaurants!

Again thanks to the entertainment team and Renee for making our whole trip and don't be afraid to tip these hard working people! We took 100 one's and still had to go buy 20 more cause we have no problem tipping for great service but hardly anyone there tips anyone which hated to see!

Well Sunscape, I hope that you will tell the entertainment team that Rob & Liz from Oklahoma said that we miss them all and look forward to seeing all of you guys again some day!

Oh yeah last thing, I like to drink beer and they only had 1 beer on draft (which I didn't care for) so spent most of the week drinking fruity drinks which after a while is just to much so that is why I gave the Beverage Selection a 4 instead of 5 but if you like fruity drinks then you will love Blue Monkey, Green Monkey or Happy Day. Those drinks were great! My husband's friend loved the pina colada's so you probably cant go wrong if you are not a beer drinker!!

Look forward to going again and seeing all of our friends!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Liz S
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Surroundings are beautiful. Rooms are clean, adequate ( but nothing special ) and accessible to beach, bars and dining. Entertainment is not great and repeats weekly. Casino is old and slot machines are old. Also it allows smoking and reeks of stale tobacco. Transportation to town is provided.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Carol C
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time you took to write about your recent stay with us.

We are sure that readers will find it very instructive , along with the information they find in our webpage, regarding general information about our resort and service.

Your comments have been forwarded to the corresponding department, for the corresponding review in order to keep on improving our services.

Once again thank you very much for your review.

Yours sincerely.,