“Relaxing, diving , beautiful place to go”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just came back from a wonderful place called SUNSCAPE RESORT SPA AND CASINO in Curacao wow, loved it, nice staff,good food , so clean and well maintained, good entertainment for adults and for children , also wonderful place to dive (next to Curacao aquarium) and 15 minutes from willemstad great place to vacation in. I cant say anything about the spa (i did not have time to try it)

Room Tip: If you want (more tranquility) ask for a room in the pelican building as it is not to close to the m...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Shirley B
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Our main goal is to meet and exceed our guests' expectations, and we are very happy to know that we did so. We always want guests to feel like you: right at home.

Thank you for your kind words and for your honest opinion about us.

Remaining at your services and wishing you a pleasant day,

Yours sincerely,

Management
Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed at Sunscape Curacao for 5 nights in late October and had a great time. When we checked in, we were told that we were being upgraded to the Preferred Club, which ended up being a big plus. With this club, you get some smaller things like additional toiletries, free robes and slippers, and free wi-fi access in their lounge area. But in addition to these items, you also get the following VERY nice improvements:

- your room is in Building 8, which is at the far end of the resort and as a result is quieter. This building also has it's own private pool, as well as it's own private section of the beach
- the private beach section includes "Beach Butler's" during the day that come around and take your drink orders. This is VERY nice since it's a little bit of a walk to the nearest bar
- beach towels delivered to your room each day
- the ability to order room service. The menu is basically the same as what you can order from the snack bars, but they will deliver it to your room on glass plates, which was a nice change from eating outside. I really liked this option for breakfast because it was so fresh.

For full disclosure, there were a few things that could use some improvement. Most notably of these was the food. My wife got food poisoning from the Italian restaurant the 2nd night we were there, so that definitely put a little bit of a damper on the trip. Also, I had a hard time finding anything at the buffet that was good. I do realize that it's a foreign country and that it is extremely difficult to cook for such a wide range of people, but everything always seemed either dry or without flavor. It would also be nice if there were some daytime options besides the "snack bars". Our favorite restaurant was the seafood place where you eat directly on the beach, and the Japanese restaurant was also very entertaining and the chefs put on a great show.

The other smaller complaint we had was that the housecleaning crew sometimes seemed very disorganized. They were very good about cleaning the room, but it seemed like they were in and out of the rooms multiple times during the day because they would forget things. There was one day where we walked in our room on 4 separate occasions to find a different housekeeper in there doing some kind of task. This wasn't a huge deal, but it made it hard to plan time alone in the room because they seemed to come at different times of the day. They were very friendly though.

The drinks were very good, and they bartenders will recommend things if you want to get away from the standard "plain" drinks (beer, wine, vodka/sprite, etc). Also, as an FYI - they have higher end liquor under the bar if you don't see something that you like displayed.

I also HIGHLY recommend going on the snorkel tour in the morning or evening where a guide will take you out around the barrier reef. I was completely blown away at how cool the snorkeling was, and how clear the water was. It's amazing to look down and see thousands of colorful, tropical fish swimming 10-20 feet away from you. Also, take advantage of the other free watersports options that the hotel offers - there's some cool stuff there.

One thing that I really liked about Curacao is that you could walk around wherever you wanted and feel completely safe. This was different than when we went to the Dominican and were told that we probably didn't want to go too far off the resort. The trip to downtown Willemstad was nice.

In conclusion, there are a couple things that could use improvement to make this a 5 star resort (most notably the food), but it really was a great time. The entertainment staff (CheeChoo) and some of the bartenders (Gi-gio) were great! I also highly recommend the Preferred Club!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Gary C
Reviewed 22 November 2013

When we travel to locations we've never gone before, we go with no expectations so we're not disappointed. We're also not finicky travelers and understand up front that you get what you pay for.
With that said, I really wasn't sure what to expect when I booked this trip a month before we traveled because visitor reviews were all over the board.
Four days before we traveled, I emailed the resort to confirm their shuttle from the airport. As soon as we got through customs, there was the tour company holding a sign and with little effort we were on our way, along with four or five other couples. Upon arrival, check in was a breeze. We were greeted with cool, refreshing herbal cloths for our sweating faces and cold fruit punch while we waited. A bellman took us to our room, across the grounds and voila--we were officially on vacation.
Accommodations: Our room was lovely. We were in 7112 on the ground floor. The patio door provided an ocean view (limited but nonetheless there). It was also less than 30 feet from the Oceana restaurant where grill food is served during the day and seafood at night. Best of all, coffee was provided at 7 each morning so I just had to make a few steps rather than cross the property to the buffet.
The decor was very Caribbean, cool, inviting and modern. There was a separate dressing area and a bathroom with a huge shower and lots of hot water with good pressure.
The beds were very comfortable and as good as any in a deluxe hotel chain. The mini bar had soft drinks, juice and two bottles of beer...not what we were accustomed to (other resorts have full bottles of rum, vodka, etc) but we didn't mind. We left a note asking for bottled water the first day and when we returned from the beach, it was full.
Only complaint: inconsistency. We never knew when housekeeping would arrive. After a full day, we returned to the room for a shower and nap before dinner, and housekeeping came at 5 p.m. to MAKE the bed and an hour later came for the turn down service. One day we returned from the beach at 4 and had to stay outside while she finished cleaning. Only the last day did our room get made before noon.
Food: The buffet was mediocre. I am a super picky eater and yet, I never left hungry. We had no complaints about temperature or service there. The main courses were labeled, but the desserts, salad bar and dressings were not so I suggest Sunscape remedy that. Folks with food allergies need to know what they are eating. Shout out to SASHA who was all smiles and very helpful.
We ate in three of the four restaurants. The Italian place was so-so and extremely slow. We were seated immediately but it took 45 minutes to get our food, which was OK.
Oceana was wonderful and the food very good. The manager there was great and our server was FERNILYNN, who was so pleasant. However, the steakhouse was exceptional. We ate there twice and enjoyed everything. By far the best of the meal places we patronized. Our server the first night was ZORIDA. She bent over backward to make our experience wonderful.
Bar Service: The drinks were OK. Lots of people complained about their potency but all you have to do is ask for extra shots. Happy Day, BMF and Rum Punch were our favorites. RENEE is a great bartender but he tends to get distracted. NORA at Oceana was our favorite. Not only does she make a great drink, she was warm and personable.
Beach and Snorkeling/Pool: It's very rocky so take water shoes, but oh, the snorkeling is exceptional. There's a fairly long reef on the property and so many fish! Equipment is available at the towel center where you can also sign up for kayaking, windsurfing etc.
There are plenty of chairs and space for sunbathers both on the beach and around the many pools.
Entertainment: We loved the musicians who performed poolside. The staff team tries to engage everyone and has a good time doing it. Most everything is over by 10 p.m. unless you go down to the sports bar, which reminded me of a teenager's basement.
The Casino: Portions were typical. Smoky, old, stale.
Suggestions: We really missed having bar service on the beach. This was the first resort we've been to where we had to go get our own drinks. Usually there are a couple people catering to guests on the beach.
We missed having a staff photographer to take our picture at dinner. Could be a great revenue maker.
Wi-Fi is not included in regular room rates. We didn't mind being off the grid, but it would have been nice to have it in case we needed to contact work or families.
Be warned that mosquitos are still very active in November.
Visiting the city: The resort runs a complimentary shuttle to the city but it books quickly. We took a bus ($2US per person) and explored at our leisure. It's safe, economical and a good way to see the real Curacao.
TIP! A little goes a long way. As in any resort, they remember you and take care of you if you tip.
Overall, staff was great, friendly and helpful. We definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Caro1717
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a bit overdue, but my husband and I took our THIRD fantastic vacation at Sunscape this September. We have seen the hotel change hands and witnessed several improvements over the past few years, but the wonderful service remained the same. We have been married 11 years, and for the first 9 years we picked a different all-inclusive hotel on a different island each year for our anniversary. That was until we stayed here three years ago. We love it so much we keep going back.

SERVICE: While the hotel and beach are beautiful, it’s the service and the people at Sunscape that keep us coming back. Kurt, the reservations manager, always makes us feel at home. He’ll go out of his way to make sure your room and your vacation are perfect. Bartender Chin Ping is one of the best on the island. He’s always ready with a smile, a great concoction and helpful advise for seeing the island. He’s so fun, you have to find him. The service at the restaurants, bars and front desk all are superb.

BEACH: The beach at the hotel is huge, with several sections spread out the entire length of the property. My favorite section is at the far end, where the snorkeling is wonderful. Tons of different fish, and we talked to people on two different trips who saw an octopus. There is a reef out from the beach that breaks up the waves and makes it really nice. If you stay in the upgraded rooms, you’ll have access to a private section of beach on this end complete with butler service and a private pool. We were in this section this past trip. You also get access to a VIP room in the lobby with free wifi, which is nice.

ROOMS: We’ve stayed in three separate areas of the hotel. The first year, we were on one of the main end rooms (Room No. 7122). This is my favorite, by far. We were on the ground floor, and it was amazing with a nice wide-open view of the water just steps from the beach. The second year, we stayed in the tower. It was a huge room with a really, really nice view of downtown and the entire property. This year, we again stayed on the far end of the hotel. This time we stayed on the third floor. Keep in mind there are no elevators in these buildings, so if you don’t like stairs you’ll need to request a ground level room. All of the rooms in the hotel either have been renovated over the past year or so or are under renovation now. The renovations looked great. They were making over the tower while we were there.

RESTAURANTS: They added a new restaurant this year, Oceana, which was a really nice seafood restaurant on the beach. It’s really good, especially the shrimp. The Japanese steakhouse is wonderful, the barbeque restaurant is really nice (especially the ribs!!!), and the Italian is nice, although it’s pretty slow. If you’re celebrating any sort of special occasion, the dinner on the beach is definitely worth the extra money. My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary, and it definitely made it the perfect night. We had the lobster and shrimp meal, and it was to die for!

AWAY FROM THE HOTEL: No visit to Curacao is complete without visiting the other great beaches on the island. While the beach at the hotel is fabulous, nothing compares to those on the west side of the island. My husband and I have rented a car for the past two years. Don’t be too intimidated to do this. If you get a GPS you can explore the entire island. We rent through Just Drive. It’s a great local company that I highly suggest. It’s not located right at the airport, but they’ll bring you a car. The island is small, the infrastructure is good and it’s safe. You have to see Porto Marie and Grote Knip and the long line of beaches on your way to West Punt, where you can eat at the restaurant at Playa Forti where the owner catches Lion Fish and cooks it up as you overlook the fishing waters and watch cliff divers. If you’re feeling really adventurous, try the stewed goat!

I really can’t say enough good things about this resort. Like I said, our goal is to go to every island. But this one keeps bringing us back.

Room Tip: If you're anywhere other than the tower, ask for the bottom floor because there are no elevators...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank dpotter
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Upon our arrival it was raining, I have never stayed at a resort where I have to walk ouside in the elements to my room, to my surprise we were sent to our room in the pouring rain, no cover on the trolley with our luggage, they got wet our clothes were soaking wet no apology even when I complained. We had to dry them ourselves on the patio. There were no was cloth in the bathroom we called down three times still we never receive them I had to walk down to the front dest at 9pm and ask for wash.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Hortense C O
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We were at the resort from November 2nd thru 9th 2013. The hotel STAFF was great at helping and trying to help with any problems. We were upset at check in, we traveled with another couple and found out they were upgraded and we weren't. We were on opposite sides of the resort. They finally got the rooms fixed and all was well. Our personal phones didn't work and "GUEST SERVICES" hooked us up to their wifi service so we could check on our family's at home. Food at the buffet was not kept as warm as it could have been but was of good quality. A special thanks to Chef Serafin for cooking us a great dinner and went out of his way to make everyone happy and he seemed more than happy to do it. The Entertainment staff (Willy wonka, Chuechoo and Crazy G.) all went out of their way to make sure we were having a good time, that made the stay around the pool a fun time. If you are looking for a Resort with a party this isn't it, but if you want to relax this is the place, no one tries to rush you here or there. The management staff kept "checking" on us to make sure all was well & asked for some advice on how to make the experiance better for all. One comment was made about turning down the bed at night with chocolate on the pillow, sure enough that night that was taken care of (my wife loved it). The question I have answerd most from others is would you go back? YES. THANKS SUNSCAPE AGAIN FOR A GREAT TIME

Room Tip: In a group? Request adjointing rooms, not rooms together. E-Mail ahead for special requests
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Don O
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Why I didn't give this a 5 rating is because we booked a ocean view room and when we got there, we were told they were 100% booked so we got a garden view(which wasn't the problem but still confused on how we didn't get our ocean view room when we booked this in March) ok back to the story. We finally got to our room probably 11pm and my husband had a friend there that flew in a few days before us so his friend was ready to go out with the locals and when they came strolling back in a 4am his room key didn't work so he went to the front desk and told them his room key didn't work and he needed another one. Well they told him that room was empty and no one was in there(remember 100% booked) and that he would have to wait till check in at
3pm to get another room card so my husband sat on a park bench outside the lobby for 5 hours waiting for me to come find him!! He was upset and so was I when I woke up to realize my husband was not back yet and I'm sorry but that is not good customer service to let my husband sit outside thinking since we got the wrong room that they moved us after he left so that really started our trip out on the wrong foot! I sadly spent that day just being VERY upset with the resort!!

Ok so now I have shaken that off and decided that we were there with all our friends and that we were going to have a great time and oh boy did we have a great time!! Let me tell you the entertainment team we loved...they really make the whole place fun! We miss Choo Choo, Pedro, John(Rocket) and Crazy G and these entertainment guys made us feel so welcome and special! Tim the restaurant and bar manager, he was so wonderful too!!
Everyone is so pleasant there and after they serve you they always say my pleasure and really
loved that customer service!! If you are looking for the BEST bartender there by all means his name is Renee and let me tell you he can make the drinks!!

When we finally got our ocean view room, we were in the Royal Towers and loved our room!
Clean, nice size and no complaints there other then we were on the 4th floor and one day the service elevator was out of order all day long which wasn't a problem for me but sure could have been a problem for someone else. Oh yes my other beef about our room was that 3 days we had no water in the shower, which sorry but that is something that you just want to do in the mornings to start your day out so that needs to be worked on too!

Like I said it really was a great trip and we will return but some things need to be attended to first!
The FOOD........OMG was great and it didn't matter where we ate at, it was all just amazing so you cant go wrong picking any of those restaurants!

Again thanks to the entertainment team and Renee for making our whole trip and don't be afraid to tip these hard working people! We took 100 one's and still had to go buy 20 more cause we have no problem tipping for great service but hardly anyone there tips anyone which hated to see!

Well Sunscape, I hope that you will tell the entertainment team that Rob & Liz from Oklahoma said that we miss them all and look forward to seeing all of you guys again some day!

Oh yeah last thing, I like to drink beer and they only had 1 beer on draft (which I didn't care for) so spent most of the week drinking fruity drinks which after a while is just to much so that is why I gave the Beverage Selection a 4 instead of 5 but if you like fruity drinks then you will love Blue Monkey, Green Monkey or Happy Day. Those drinks were great! My husband's friend loved the pina colada's so you probably cant go wrong if you are not a beer drinker!!

Look forward to going again and seeing all of our friends!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Liz S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Papagayo Beach Resort
#10 of 32 in Willemstad
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!