“Great value for the price”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I would recommend this resort to anyone looking to get away and enjoy what Curacao has to offer! Bar and entertainment staff are amazing at keeping patrons entertained and enjoying themselves. Resort offers activity equipment (snorkeling, etc.) for free which is a great feature and encourages you to enjoy the beautiful ocean!! Restaurants were good and the staff tried to accommodate a party of 2 as much as possible. Buffet was good but repetitive so the fact that you didn't need to make reservations for restaurants was a bonus. GREAT seafood restaurant on the beach...highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for the upgrade! Renovated building is much better and more modern as oppose to the older part t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Nicole L
Write a ReviewReviews (4,987)

Reviewed 7 April 2014

What a amazing resort...the best i have been in a few years....Beach and food were outstanding...hotel very clean...the small cozy beach was exactly what i needed...great job and what a amazing atmosphere

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank marlenem768
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My husband and I are Preferred Club Silver Level Members and this was the first resort we went to with our new membership. It was disappointing to say the least. I'll give you the pros and cons below and I do intend to send a letter to Am Resorts as well.

Pros

- Booking through Unlimited Vacation Club was easy and quick.
- Check in was easy when done through the Preferred Club Lounge.
- The staff is very friendly and will help you if they can.
- CoCo Café is good.
- Rental Cars / Tour Desk helpful
- Beach was lovely for what it is. Very rocky but we enjoyed the snorkelling very much.
- Curacao was an interesting island and easy to get around. Don't be afraid to rent a car and drive around the island. Very easy with a map or GPS.

Cons

- Our room was not ready when we checked in at 4:00 pm. Had to wait 45 mins.
- Had an Ocean Front room in the Royal Tower (preferred building??). It's not a preferred building, they put anyone in there. The building needs BIG TLC.
- Our room was "renovated" but when??? Musty and dirty with mold in shower. Views were great.
- Had to move from room on 2nd day due to the HIGH VOLUME of MUSIC and BOOM BOOM BOOM from the disco beach next door which goes to 2:00 am. The beach next door is a place where all the locals and young tourist go to party.
- Got a room in the Flamingo Building on other side of resort (Preferred Club only). It too needs big TLC. It was an Ocean View and actually had a nice view.
- Room in there was disgusting. Musty, mildew all over, mold in bathroom. The bed was the worst part. Sagged in the middle and hard as a rock.
- Someone was smoking and the smoke came into our room through the air conditioner. Gross.
- The air conditioner was very loud but worked.
- Hot water was hit or miss.

** About the rooms. Some rooms are renovated and others not. It's a crap shoot. You'll never know what you'll get.

- The food was BAD. So bland and overcooked. The only restaurant we thought was okay was the Japanese one but don't ask for any fancy sushi. There's only one type and the crab is imitation crab meat.

*About the food. I'm not picky, in fact, I'll eat anything but this was so sub par. The resort tries to cut costs by substituting cheap products. In the buffet, the mashed potatoes are indeed powdered potatoes. In the Italian restaurant, they used both fresh and CANNED mushrooms on the same dish. Finally I saw them pouring fountain coke into Coca Cola bottles and using that in the bars.

- The booze was WATERED DOWN and there's no premium selection. The wine was ok.
- Lastly, I got horribly sick from the food on the second day which lasted for 3 days. I never got that even in Mexico. The food is not handled or cooked properly which might be why some stuff is over cooked.
- The pools and pool deck is in need of a renovation.
- Lounge chairs with SHADE & Cushions are hard to come by. People place towels out at 7:00 am or earlier.
- The Preferred Club building (Flamingo) didn't stop others who weren't preferred club members from using towels, cushions or sitting in our area.
- Beach area needs to be cleaned up. Broken glass everywhere. Wear water shoes!!!
- Entertainment was good but BORING.
- Understaffed!

All in all, we did enjoy the sun and meeting some great people on this island but this resort is in the process of becoming part of a chain of resorts that are considered 5 star accommodations. At the moment it's still a 3 Star at best and needs a lot of work!!!

Room Tip: Apparently there are some good renovated rooms but where is anyone's guess. Flamingo building i...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Laura S
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

To start the resort has been purchased by AM resorts and the Sunscape represents a resort in transition. I scored it a solid three meaning three being good.
What's good- the preferred club check in and lounge service is very nice. The was usually some nice snacks and beverages for that class guest.
Service- everyone at Sunscape was friendly, nice and always willing to try and help.
Room- we had a water view king room in the royal tower which was very good. The bed was comfortable and the room service was very good. The upscale dual head shower was a plus. The out door deck overlooking the resort was also nice. The daily stock refrigerator stocked with Amstel, coke, diet coke water and sprite was a plus.
Spa- our couples massage and experience there was very good
Amenities- the in site dive shop was excellent, the protected cove and beach were also nice and easy to snorkel. The pools and grounds were well maintained.
Coffee bar- good service and coffees.
The bad-food is really what hold this resort back. The seafood restaurant should be ashamed o be par cooking shrimp and such so that the seafood comes out like rubber. And the cold conch fritter that had congealed oil was gross. The steak house really isn't a steakhouse as they serve no steak house steaks. However you can order them at a 60 dollar surcharge per steak which suffice to say was ridiculous. You could opt for the romance dinner on the beach for 160 dollars per person or 320 for a steak and lobster dinner, of course on top of what you already paid for food. The food was so disappointing, my wife I ate at Curacao's very good restaurants and never came close to spending 320 and ate really well.
Adult drinks- are disappointing, the only name brands are the Amstel beer, otherwise it's at well brands and 6 ounce drinks.(the staff at the bar are very friendly however). My wife joked that she was going to get me a scotch and all the had was scotch brand scotch.
Entertainment- if you want it it seemed fine, but it made a quiet time relaxing challenging because you couldn't sit out under the stars and enjoy your company . And it could be intrusive with the loud music booming into your room, which while it ended at 1030 every night made talking in your room hard.
Theses are certain points they need to be rethought and upgraded for me to want to go back to this resort, because I loved Curacao and my time there.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank junderw66
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Pros:

--family friendly

Our luggage was MIA for the first 24 hours. Marvette (an angel who works at Explorer's Club) noticed our predicament, gave us much needed advice for Sunday bathing suit shopping and insisted on watching our boys (9 and 6 years old) so that my husband and I could make haste and the boys could have some fun. Everything worked out perfectly...we got inexpensive suits for the whole family and the boys had fun.
We had no intention of using the Explorer's Club when we scheduled the trip but, after spending a couple of hours there, the boys wanted to go back...and it was fabulous!! Explorer's Club organized a "field trip" to the aquarium on Thursday and a "VIP" kid exclusive dinner /ice cream extravaganza on Friday. There are daily activities, such as sandcastle contests, that the boys were excited to share with other children. All of the ladies who worked at the Explorer's Club were kind and seemed to genuinely enjoy interacting with the kids.

The kids have free access to ice cream and non alcoholic frozen drinks. Bluewater Grill cooked hot dogs, burgers and fries to order for lunch.

A current kids' movie is projected onto a huge inflatable movie screen on the beach every night at 730.

We felt that our kids were very safe at Sunscape.

9 year old: In response to "What did you like about Sunscape?", he said "Everything."
6 year old: "Sunscape is awesome."

--location,location, location

The snorkeling at the resort was awesome! Amazing number and variety of fish by the rocks directly in front of the Flamingo building. The beach was huge. The main pool was huge. The pool associated with the Flamingo building was not huge but was very nice and was rarely used. The tables at Oceana and Bluewater grill were on the beach and had amazing views. The aquarium (and, therefore, the Dolphin Academy) were in walking distance.

---the staff

The majority of the staff work very hard and are very nice. On several occasions, they initiated interactions with me or my family and were very helpful.

Isis, at the concierge desk, was indefatigable, making innumerable phone calls in several different languages, to help us find our luggage. Thank you Isis!

Katty, at the World Cafe restaurant, noticed that I was hoarse and brought me a special concoction of honey and citrus that worked wonders.

When we arrived late Saturday night, Sonaly greeted us with wine for the adults, fruit punch for the kids and cookies for all. A very pleasant welcome after a very long trip! And the fruit punch was a favorite of my husband's and my son's for the whole trip.

The Entertainment Team was great!

--Coco Cafe
cappuccino, macchiato, frappuccino any time, all day...yes!!
pastries any time, all day...yes!!!
we were huge fans of the donuts and the banana muffins

--clean. the grounds and the rooms were clean and maintained.

--plenty of recliner type chars at the beach and the pool.

Cons:

--inconsistency.

--the room was ok. there was no fan in the bathroom and the room and the bathroom had a kind of damp smell and feel. tons of hot water, though.

--the majority of the food

--the wait at the specialty restaurants

Fish was always delicious. Red meat rarely was. Guess when you're on a desert island, it's wise to choose seafood over beef!

The buffet always had a pasta bar---they would grill vegetables to order, add your choice of four sauces and your choice of three pastas. The pasta was good.

We chose the Italian restaurant the first night. We arrived early--around 615--because we had heard the horror stories about long waits for dinner. We waited in line til about 645, were seated fairly quickly and then waited forever for someone to take our order and then waited forever for our order to arrive and then ate a fairly mediocre dinner. The chocolate mousse dessert was so bad even our kids skipped it. Actually, the majority of the desserts at Sunscape were mediocre at best. We gorged on chocolate when we arrived at the Charlotte airport.

The next night we tried Oceana. We arrived at 630 and were told that they were full and they could not give an estimate for the wait and they did not have beepers. I took our kids to the buffet while my husband waited in line, then I dropped the kids off at the 730 movie, then I rejoined my husband and then we waited some more. We finally sat down around 800. It was, however, worth the wait. The creole seasoned red grouper (which was the catch of the day) was DELICIOUS!!

The next night, the resort had a special Carnival celebration on the beach. We had a fabulous dinner on the beach...right next to the ocean..at sunset.

Japanese restaurant: We arrived around 635, waited in line for about 30 minutes, and were told to come back around 715. We got drinks, sat by the pool and listened to an incredibly talented saxophonist. They still weren't ready by 730 so...I dropped the kids off at the movie and came back. Around 845, dinner arrived. We retrieved the kids from the movie and we all ate together. Sushi was awesome. Otherwise, the food was ok.

Bluewater Grill: They gave us a beeper for the wait. We drank cocktails by the pool and listened to some entertaining music. The grilled vegetable appetizer and the salad were great. My husband said the steak was mediocre. The fish was delicious.

Oceana the next night. We arrived early and had a pleasant dinner.

All in all, it was a very pleasant trip. The staff and the grounds are definitely the greatest attributes.

Room Tip: Flamingo was quieter and had its own pool
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank caferaccer
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My husband and I stayed for the week of March 16-23, 2014. Let me tell you it was nice to be in a warm wind free of ice rain, pellets, snow squalls and all the other horrible winter things we've experienced since December.

The hotel was fine, we ended in up the "tower" in the preferred club area but we didn't pay for preferred. We initially had a room with 2 queen beds and requested one with a king bed. We were allowed to leave our baggage and move into the new room 4 hours later at 1700. No big deal. Our room was on the first floor facing the new condo complex behind us. There was a utility road and a drainage ditch on the other side of our patio/balcony and thankfully both not being used. It was quiet, the only traffic was the iguanas. There was no view but we rarely spend a lot of time in our room so that was fine by us.

Our room didn't have a tv remote and half way through the trip we realized it and asked the front desk for one - we never did get it. But again, no biggie, we didn't go there to sit in front of the tv all day and night (the channel selections were suprisingly numerous BTW). Our air conditioning cut in and out all the time but not enough for it to be problematic for us. We chatted with other people who had mold on their beds and all their belongings were always damp from air conditioning leaks. Another couple had to turn their AC off completely because the water poured out of the vent and their floor would be drenched daily. I figure we did well!

Limited plugs for North American appliances so be careful how much stuff you bring. The rest was for European wiring. No Wifi in the rooms at all, so leave your IPAD at home unless you pay for preferred and you get a code to use in the hotel lobby only. HINT- tons of free wifi all over Willemstaad - take a bus into town and check your emails there!

A few times our room wasn't made up until 1800 which I found really annoying! We were out of the room at 0800 daily and came back for siestas around 1500-1600 then were gone again. It really messed us up when we had to wait almost an entire day for them to do their thing. Was it the end of the world, no, but when you just want a sun/wind/heat break it was frustrating.

Food - buffet boring and non descript. As the head chef told us, they do the best with what is available to them. There is no commercial farming, fishing or agriculture on the island and most of the produce comes from Venezuela. Again, as the head chef put it "Venezuela is not a good place to be right now and they don't care about the fruit". He was envious of our Costa Rican pineapples available in Canada. He did try his best and there was a variety of dishes but it was not much to talk about. We had breakfast and lunch there with little changing it up. The pasta bar was good :)
No one seems interested in offering you a drink ever. It never changed.

Restaurants were lovely. Our favourite was the Japanese and we went there twice. Be prepared for a dinner to be dragged out over 2.5 hours as they only cook for so many at a time. The meal is an entertainment/show but if you are starving it will be painful! Eat a snack first and drink plenty before you get there! The food was fabulous and it is a nice chance to meet other vacationers and hear about their adventures.

The Italian Restaurant was also good but the first visit there the food portions were extremely skimpy. I learned afterwards that was the last day of the week's food delivery and the next day the next week's order would arrive. From then on the portions were much better. We enjoyed this restaurant as well.

The Oceanside Grill had the BEST ribs! I recommend trying it out and this was the closest you could eat by the seaside.

The Seafood Restaurant was just ok according to my husband who went with another Canadian vacationer who also adored seafood. Us women folk and non seafood fans went to the Italian instead.

Little coffee shop in the hotel lobby was nice, lots of variety of hot drinks and a small selection of pastries. It was a nice place to sit in the afternoon and get out of the sun. It had board games for those who wanted to use them and a book shelf full of books for vacationers. Lots of books in Dutch! Leave your holiday read for someone else - brilliant idea!

Gift shop = crazy expensive! Buy stuff in Willemstaad. You can barter in some places if you choose.

Beach was small, rocky - seriously if you are going to swim bring aqua socks. We snorkeled and fins kept our feet safe. There is a breakwater to make a protected lagoon for swimmers, snorkellers, kayakers etc. You are not allowed to take the water equipment out past the breakwater. NO HOBIE CATS even though the website and photos indicate they have them. A huge disappointment for us. Snorkeling is substandard, fish will follow you and nibble your finger if they get a chance. They are tame and know where the food is.

Beach chairs were always available no matter what day or time. I don't think the resort was full but it was nice to be able to find a chair when you wanted one. Plenty of pools and a shade pool. Not optimized by many, but the shade pool had a lot of families with young children using it.

Drinks - WATERED DOWN! We drank a lot and no hangover or buzz. Bring your Bubba Keg containers and it will keep your drink ice cold for 12 hours! The drink of the day changed person to person. I think the cute young girls got different drinks than the older men! hahahahah! The only time drinks were really flowing is when the bartender (forgive me, I forget his name) who won the Curacao 2014 bartending award, was working the bar in one of the restaurants. He actually came around and topped up wine glasses frequently! I needed him when we had to share a grill table with a bunch of young American girls in a bridal party....like...like...like...like...sooooo. But I digress!

The staff were all very pleasant, some language barrier with a few, but they were trying! Considering I only speak one of the 4 languages they speak, I'm ok with it!

It is completely safe to take public transportation into town. We asked locals for directions and we never encountered and hostility or aggression. Everyone seemed polite, helpful and kind.

Over all the resort was fine. Would I return, maybe. I think I would be happy to rent a condo and car and see more of the island on my own next time. We were told there is better snorkeling up in Westpunt.

One last tip - WIND - not like the usual trade winds in the Caribbean! Very very windy all the time. Long haired girls, you will need to tie it back all the time. Waves out in the open water get up to 3 metres tall. If you do any boating and have tempermental sea legs YOU WILL NEED GRAVOL. This includes snorkeling on the other side of the breakwater. If you feel ill from "rollers" and a boat fish tailing with the large waves behind it - BRING GRAVOL.

It was still a great week in the hot sun and sand and I am glad I went and visited such a unique place!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Glennis N
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Spent a week at Sunscape with my two adult sons and wife. We all love to dive and wanted to try Curacao. The resort is really well located right along the Reef Sanctuary and the diving from the hotel dock is fantastic. I've never stayed anywhere that had such good diving and snorkeling from the resort. The onsite dive shop (Ocean Encounters) was very professional and the staff were all cheerful and excellent. Once you got all the paperwork done you could dive anytime by just walking up and telling whoever was behind the desk you wanted to do a shore dive. They would get you a tank and you just paid for the air fill. They also ran boat dives that picked you up and dropped you off at the dock. Really good diving in Curacao but never saw anything bigger than a ray. Lots of little critters and great coral formations.

Now on to the resort:
The Good - As I mentioned the hotel was in a nice location and has a wonderful beach. It's a big property and has a protective wave break of rocks that creates a great area for swimming and snorkeling (no waves though). The water was cool in March but not cold.
Rooms - the rooms in the Preferred Club have been redone (mostly) and the beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms are kind of dated and a little on the small side (by today's standards) but everything was clean.
Food - the food for an all-inclusive was good. Everything was fresh and well prepared. The food in the specialty restaurants was generally very good.
Drinks - see "bad" section of review but the wine and beer at the restaurants and bars was good.
Staff - generally pleasant and helpful.

The Bad -

Rooms - while the rooms were renovated recently they stopped short of doing the job completely. The running joke among our family about almost every aspect of the resort was "they are so close ...." The rooms were no exception: clean, freshly painted, new bedding but old floor tiles, sliding door to the balcony that was so rusty you could barely open it. when you did you could hear the squeak 5 rooms away.
Food - while the food was pretty good the variety at the buffet never changed much. You kind of get tired of the same food all week. The specialty restaurants are advertised as no reservations needed just come when you want to eat and if we have no table we'll tell you when to come back. The problem is that you might be told to come back tomorrow. The first night we tried to get into one of the specialty restaurants we tried the just walk up anytime routine at say 7pm (they open at 6:30) only to be told they were all booked up for the night. What! come tomorrow. Same thing happened the next night. That's when we figured out that everyone stands in line 45 minutes or so before they open to get a table. I don't really like to eat that early on vacation but such was the deal at Sunscape. As I said once you got into one the food was great and the setting was really nice. The problem is they aren't set up or staffed to truly handle two seatings a night. An example was the night we had Japanese. We waited on line for half an hour or so (it was the beach party night so the specialties weren't really crowded). They managed to seat everyone on line right away. There are two Hibachi tables that that seat about 15 people at each, We got a drink and waited for the cooks to arrive. They did but at the other Hibachi. We literally sat for over an hour sipping a drink while we watched the other table get their entire meal (and dessert). About 10 minutes after that table left our cooks ( the same two as the other table ) came over to ours. We then got our meals. It's bizarre for the sake of two more cooks they could have turned both tables over. So close.
Service - The service was overall pretty good (or should I say pretty close). For example, you would sit down for an early breakfast. There would only be about 20 people eating or so. there would be a dozen staff people milling about. You could sit 10 minutes before someone would ask if you want something to drink. Another few to get the coffee and another few to get the milk for the coffee. At many all-inclusives I've seen staff that can do a pretty good job of looking busy and avoiding the customers. They are really good at that here. In this case it's a management issue. There is no one making sure the patrons are getting service. Could be at a bar, restaurant or beach you never knew if you'd get good service, fair service or poor service. Very inconsistent.
Drinks - the bad part of the drinks is the quality and quantity of the booze. the standard bar liquor was low quality house brands. The only bar we found that had real name brands was the bar off the lobby. They kept it hidden away in the cabinet below the cheap stuff. And they only ever seemed to have one bottle of any name brand there at one time. It was always running out and someone had to go hunting for another (for 10 minutes or more). Very frustrating. The other problem was the pours. Very light drinks. Now I understand that at an all-inclusive they try to stretch it out a little but this was ridiculous. If you ordered a Jack Daniels neat you literally got a big sip. If you asked for a double you got a look and two sips. No matter if you tipped the bartender or not you just aren't getting a real drink. We got to the point of ordering three at a time and pouring them together.

The Ugly - The Preferred Club - To pay extra for the Preferred Club is a joke. I stayed there a week and still couldn't figure it out. As part of the Preferred club you get a private beach and pool. The problem is the pool is small and the beach smaller. The area for Preferred is way too small for the number of people they sell the upgrade too (again so close). There just aren't enough chairs for people to sit on and of the chairs there are 20-25% of them have no cushion on a PVC chair. Why? it makes no sense. One of the other supposed benefits was that Preferred Club people get is drink service at the beach and pool area. This was spotty at best because they only had two people serving drinks (one really the other just followed the first around) and there were way too many people for them to handle efficiently. This problem isn't just on the Preferred beach and pool (but it's worse there) but on the whole resort. They have a severe shortage of chairs and shade on the whole beach and pool areas. Easily fixed but not. As a result people are out claiming chairs before sunrise and literally leaving their stuff out on them all day (even though the printed materials in the rooms say chairs cannot be reserved). At one point in the week it got so bad we saw people fighting over chairs. A little letter was put in everyone's door reminding people that chairs couldn't be reserved and chairs empty for more than 90 minutes would have their items removed. But that never happened. As I said at the beginning we like to SCUBA dive so we only spend a few hours on the beach we just want to have a place to sit when we get there.

Overview - Good resort and a good value but management needs to step up their game and pay a little more attention to guest services. It could really be an awesome place. In the meantime don't waste your money on Preferred service and be prepared to get up really early to get a beach chair. You also should consider bringing your own insulated mugs or cups for the beach and pool area. You'll get a bigger colder drink that way.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs ask for a room in the one building with an elevator. It's right off...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family