“Nice but, Could be so much better.”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
DeLand, Florida
“Nice but, Could be so much better.”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We came to the Sunscape to celebrate our 6th anniversary and we had a great time. We got off the plane and the airport in Curacao was a disaster, but we made it through and the transportation was ready to carry us away.
We upgraded to the preferred club ahead of time, so we went to the lounge to check in. They couldn't find us in the stack of reservations. We showed our confirmation and the girl scurried off. When she returned she said we couldn't have the preferred club the first night, but they would move us tomorrow. That started my vacation off badly, but we did get a free couples massage and dinner on the beach to make up for the issue.

Things we liked:
-Once in building 8 the view was amazing.
-The Food. Not 5 star dining but always fresh.
-Evening entertainment. Every night around 7 they had various musicians around the main pool deck.
-No reservations for dinner.
-Snorkeling at the resort. It was like swimming in an aquarium. Water shoes are a must!!!!
-Romantic Dinner on the beach. Private and a great night
-Plenty of beach chairs and palapas, but you do have to get up early to get a good spot.
-Kerrion Morrison is the best server at World Cafe. She kept our coffee mugs full and always had a smile.
-Sheldon made great drinks at the main pool bar.
-House keeping our room was always clean by lunch.
-Plenty of beach towels
-Bath products were good.
-The coffee bar was great.
-Open air dining. The breeze made it fantastic and comfortable.

Things we didn't like as much:
-We couldn't get anyone to answer room service our entire stay. It became a game so we called many times through the day. Not once was the phone ever answered.
-No steak knives. I had 2 steaks and cut them with a butter knife.
-Kids in the adults only hot tub.
-Massage wasn't good.
-Service could be really slow for breakfast. The guy who does the egg station would ignore you.
-Servers would walk past you with coffee and not fill your cup.
-Some bar tenders pre- made popular drinks and poured from a jug.
Very limited lunch choices at the Grill. Only hot dogs and hamburgers.
-If you didn't get seated at the first seating you may not eat until after 9 PM even when restaurants were not full. Once they started appetizers they wouldn't take new diners.
-Drinks were different depending on bar tender.

We also did an island tour through Tropical Tours and really enjoyed it.
The word that sums up this resort is "ALMOST". It is really close to being there but still needs work. When the manager was at breakfast the servers were great. The servers seemed to care as much when he wasn't there. Make sure to tip the ones care and give you great service.
I realize that some of my comments may seem picky and we thoroughly did our research before going to The Sunscape. We knew what to expect but the little attention to details is what separates a good resort from a great resort. The resort grew on us over our stay and there are some easy improvements that would help The Sunscape become a great resort.

Room Tip: Upgrade to premier club.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Rod H
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you took to write about your recent stay with us.
We are sure that readers will find it very instructive, along with the information they find in our webpage, regarding general information about our resort and services.

Your comments have been forwarded to the corresponding department for review, in order to keep on improving our services.

Once again, thank you very much for your review.

Yours Sincerely,

A. Kwidama
Assistant to the General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,382)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Just got home fromsunscape curracao, we had a good time but theres always a but, it needs a little tlc decor wise. Entertainment thru day brill loads to do for kids n adults, evening different ball game, quite poor. We stayed 13 nights they only have a 7 day plan so gets repettitive. They never even asked if anyone from uk there I know its a bit out of way bht would have been nice to have been noticed. On the p, us side good bus links to town lots to do n see, wobbly bridge an experience. Walkin distznce to sea aquarium which was an enjoyable mornin for all ages. Staff in hotel were nice. Had a few issues with meal times tables not ready or staff slow to keep up food only luke warm at times. Think something was said as things seemed to improve as week went on. The book in was easy even tho we had a hic up to start with but was quickly resolved, were upgraded topreffered but it wasnt properly explained what it was all about so hence didnt use it correctly. On a plus side the spa was amazin we visited twice therapists nelly n cristina were particually good with us best facial my daughters ever had n I had reflexology for first time hopefully not last felt wonderful.curracao is a nice place different to aruba but good in its own right, wish there was a little more to do round and abt the boulavard was nice but shops shut at 7pm and bars were a little expensive to stay all night. I k ow its mainly american visitors but wish they were a bit more friendly while on their holidays much nicer if u visit their country.

Room Tip: We were in 3108 which seemed best spot straight on beach near pool n bar didnt need preffered bit th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Carole C
London, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We booked our trip through Sunwing vacations 6 months in advance for our 33rd anniversary, and on arrival we had been upgraded to the preferred club which was wonderful. Our room was great, no trouble with hot water or air conditioning, balconey overlooked the pool and beach and we were the farthest from the area of the resort which is noisy at night.
Our booking was made before the change in policy for inclusive diving, so we had a free beginners scuba dive included - great fun, as we are avid snorkellers but had never tried scuba. The reef with sheltered cove makes this a lovely location for snorkelling, and we did so 2-3 times each day from the beach where you can see all kinds of colourful fish by swimming along the inside of the manmade reef. We stayed for two weeks, so spaced out our trips away from the resort so that we had restful days between by the pool or on the beach with snorkelling and all the refreshments we needed served by the preferred club staff.
Our off site trips included:
Sunwing's "Bon Bini" (the city and the east) and "Kunuku" (beach and west) Tours - each a 1/2 day bus trip but gives you a great view of the island so you know where else you might like to go on your own.
The Seaquarium - walking distance from the resort, and be sure to go through the beach mall for shopping en route...
Boat trip - there are several catamaran trips available that include drinks and lunch, but with an all inclusive resort we preferred a real sailing ship "Insulinde" which sails past our resort every day. It goes on a 1/2 day trip including stops for snorkelling and swimming that we arranged via the trip desk in the lobby. They picked pick us up at the hotel and you board the ship in Willemstad.
In two weeks we lined up for an a la carte meal at the Bluewater ONCE because we arrived before it opened, and another time waited no more than half hour seated by the pool with our drinks with a buzzer to call us just like you do at home. Meat in a foreign country never tastes the same as at home because animals are raised differently... but there was plenty available and lots of fruit and vegies. Except the days where we were heading out early for a trip, we tended to enjoy a coffee on the beach before going for a late breakfast and earlier dinner... rather than 3 full meals a day - but that was available if you want it.

Room Tip: We were in the preferred club, building 8 second floor with view of pool and ocean. Those on the gro...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Pam G
United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Landed in Curacao around 12.30pm. It was an issue finding a taxi as I was unsure where to wait - just go by the line of minibuses right opposite the Airport. Reached the hotel at 2pm after a 20min drive which cost 40USD. I had to wait one hour before I could check-in at 3pm. They advised me to get lunch inside and I went for the 1st one I saw - Blue Water Grill. They serve burgers, hotdogs and fries. The burgers tasted very bland. I found out I was going to be in the Preferred Club building, which gave you facilities like a pool just for the building, a part of the beach where the other residents are not supposed to come to and a bunch of vouchers for up to 200$ off for the Spa, a romantic dinner for 2 and wine and champagne. We also were allowed in a special room by the lobby. Once I got in to my room, I was amazed at the space and facilities inside. They even had a dock for iPod (although it didn't work) and a full tea/coffee maker. Minibar had water x2, coke, sprite, orange juice and beer x2. No food items however. I tried to get dinner for 8pm at Oceana but they were fully booked including the 2nd sitting. So i went for World Cafe which has buffets - lots of variety and tasted really good. However the ambience was not great there. They had a couples game at night by the pool which was entertaining.
Day 2: My morning Buggy Tour was rescheduled for the afternoon, so I ended up going to the Spa early instead for an 80min Swedish massage. They had no music then as it was being fixed, and for the most part, it was horrible hearing people speak and make noise while I was trying to relax. I also felt the masseuse was way too fast with her motions and she was done 10min earlier. I was stuck with Blue Water Grill again for lunch as I came back from a Buggy Tour after 3.30pm which is right when the lunch buffet from World Cafe closes. I showed up at 6pm at Oceana, waited in line and got my name on the list for 6.45pm. Second sitting is at 8.30pm. Food was good; I had Conch fritters (too salty though), Pan fried grouper (surprisingly good!) and Flan (very good!). Service was good but took a little long for food to arrive for me - others were served much quicker.
Day 3: Skipped lunch again but got dinner by Da Mario after I went to wait from 5.30pm. They came out to take our names around 6.30pm. Food was excellent; I had the Lemon chicken soup, Seafood linguini and Chocolate mousse. The waitress got my entrée order wrong and brought me some kind of Penne but it was duly rectified and the correct meal came after a little bit with an apology. Service was otherwise great and fast!
Day 4: I went on the Kunuku island tour with Touracao (located in the lobby) which included Shete Boka/Boka Tabla, a picture stop by Knip beach and snorkelling in Cas Abao (Cas Abou) - this was the best snorkelling I have ever done with fish as big as 20cm within 1 metre of the shore - incredible! There were at least 20 species of fish within toe-touching depth. We saw a few flamingos also on the way back. However we missed out on a visit to an old slave-house because it was closed as it was Queen's Day. Tour is from 8.30am-1.30pm and costs 55USD. I had the lunch buffet at World Cafe - food tasted amazing and the variety they offered too was diverse. As for dinner, I managed to get a spot at Himitsu. We started off with a Miso soup followed by Sushi and Tempura for starters. Then we had a cooking spectacle by the chef who was flinging around noodles and vegetables, then stir-fried chicken, beef, prawns and fish. He was very entertaining! There are no desserts at Himitsu however!
Day 5: Last day, so I finally had a chance to go swim in the pool. Then I went for some snorkelling by the beach and it was almost like Cas Abao, but much more deep and less clear waters. They had a lot of fish too, but I did not (cannot) venture further than toe-touching depth lol. Mind you this is a man-made beach. Unfortunately I had to check out at 12pm, and the guy said I could not do late check-in... I found he was cold and unfriendly, the only staff member who I didn't have a good experience with.

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground floor because it sucks to go up and downstairs, and also you will have bett...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank FazzersN
Higuey, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

I just Came Back from My first tríp to Curaçao and was very impressed with this place. The AirPort was nice and everything Went smoothly. I stayed at Sunscape and it was very nice, excelenteeee. Check in very profesional, room was very nice, clean and everything worked perfectly.
Food was delicious. Entertainment was fabulous, staff was very friendly and nice. My wife was very happy with this tríp and thanked me for taking her There, so happy wife happy life.
People who took care of us very Well, Janderson took care of the restaurants and was There every night making sure we had great service. Chief engineer Ariel Santana Came into our room one day asking about the AC, TV signal, mini fridge and all maintenance equipment. Whatttt? Chief engineer personally checking that!!! Congrats to Mr. Ariel Santana for taking his Job so seriously.

Congrats Sunscape for making our tríp just amazing. We Will be Back in september for our 3rd. Anniversary.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jose A
Albemarle, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We had a great time at Sunscape Curacao. This resort had great on site snorkeling and many options available for jeep tours and boat tours. The resort also provides a free shuttle to Willemstad to shop and enjoy the city. There were more children and families than we expected but they have an explorers club that keeps the kids busy most of the day. There is a choice of 5 restaurants at the resort all of which had very good food. Milagros, the hostess at the world cafe was very nice and accommodating and always made sure we had what we needed. My wife and I highly recommend Sunscape Curacao for a relaxing, fun vacation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jay S
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The best vacation Choochoo! It was all great fun. I stayed a week and I had a great time with my friends ... I say again, the best vacation Choochoo and recommend it to anyone who wants a moment of relaxation and fun

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jorge José A
Dear Guest,

We are happy to know your experience was truly a wonderful one, and we thank you deeply for choosing us.
It was a pleasure hosting you, but even more pleasant to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

Our mission has always been to provide our guests with the exceptional services they deserve by taking utmost care of each and every one of their needs.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Your Sincerely,

A. Kwidama
Assistant to the General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!