“Staff was the best part of the vacation!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Willemstad
North Canton, Ohio
“Staff was the best part of the vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

If you want to go somewhere with amazing staff this is the place to go. The room service was top notch coming into our room many times a day to tidy up and restock the fridges. My favorite employee was Mismeilin who is a hostess at Da Mario Restaurant. She was polite, pleasant, and was genuinely interested in talking with us (asking where we are from,etc.). While observing while we were eating dinner, she handled guests who weren't happy with such professionalism that she deserves great praises for the hard work she puts in at Da Mario. Overall the staff was the best part of the trip as well as the beautiful views on the beach. Probably one of the most relaxing vacations I've ever been on.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jen E
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment about us. It finds us with great joy to know that you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed all the aspects of your vacations.

We will make sure to let the staff mentioned know that they helped make your vacations even better that they were.

It was an honor having you here and we hope you decide to visit us in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

A. Kwidama
Assistant to the General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,306)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sunscape from April 20 - April 27th for our Honeymoon. We paid for the preferred club. However, we did not get a room in the preferred club building, which was rather frustrating since we paid for one. Also, as many have complained..the preferred section's chairs were always reserved. It wasn't too bad though, because since our room wasn't located in the preferred section (and was on the beach), we would just walk out of our sliding glass doors and get a chair right in front of our room in the non-preferred section...which was still nice (and the beach was better there...less rocky...we stayed in building 7, FYI). Having the preferred club check in and check out was nice, as was having the preferred club office to go to for any questions. The free wifi was also a plus since my husband had to do some work while there. The main hostess (she was always helping the preferred club members and the other workers asked her questions), I can't remember her name, but she was awesome! She went out of her way to help us with anything that we needed. Another memorable person from the resort was a bartender named Jonathan. He made great Gin and Tonic (perfect amount of Gin to tonic), plus it was very nice talking to him when my husband had to work. He also remembered what I drank and exactly how I liked it made, which was nice. I can't remember the woman's name who ran/worked at the dive shop, but she was awesome too!..very informative and helpful!!!!

Alright, now more about the resort... it wasn't a huge resort, very easy to get anywhere in the resort rather quickly. For me, that was a plus because nothing was a far walk. I will say that my husband noticed a smell around the bars (and the back bathroom...behind the Italian restaurant) occasionally. Personally, I noticed the back bathroom smell 100% of the times that I went in there but only smelled something around the bars once. The food at the buffet was mediocre, but I didn't expect it to be any better than that. I didn't care for the Hibachi restaurant (Himitsu) but my husband liked it. However, our favorite restaurants were the Italian (Da Mario) and Blue Water Grill...the steak at Blue Water was to die for! Yum! However, I WOULD NOT suggest the seafood restaurant (Oceana). It was terrible (other guests that we spoke to agreed with us about how terrible it is).

Now, about activities....since we were on our honeymoon, we received a free honeymoon package (which was nice). In it we got a free dinner on the beach, free couples massage and facial, free champagne and fruit in our room, & free turn down service (I think that's all). The dinner on the beach was wonderful...our waiter was wonderful (I wish I could remember his name...because he was just terrific)! For the private dinner on the beach you can choose what restaurant you want to eat, we chose the Italian restaurant. As for the massage and facial...those were both okay. The massage was better than the facial (something in the facial smelled funny, I think it was the water they were using...might I add...I didn't have a problem with the water on the resort at all, just during the facial). About sporting activities, we rode in the paddle boat, which was fun but I preferred to snorkel instead of paddling around. As for the shows, they were okay but nothing to write home about. The casino was great, it was a small version of a full casino, which was nice (I won some $ at roulette).

Now to the snorkeling....THE BEST PART! There is a rock wall that separates the resort from the beach (the rock wall is open on each side of the resort). You can see all kinds of fish inside the rock wall (I saw a barracuda, a really cool/huge crab, a flounder, and all kinds of other things). However, on the other side of the rock wall is where all of the action is....the coral is beautiful there and there are many more fish...schools and schools. I can't even begin to name all that we saw there. I would like to note that I just began snorkeling less than a year ago. Why I say that is because the other side of the rock wall looks super intimidating (the waves hit the rocks pretty hard), but it's not bad at all....a very easy swim. I would suggest taking a partner and staying close to the rock wall because boats do pass very close. However, I would not let that deter you from checking out the other side of the rock wall because it is worth it!

Just a few more notes...the beaches are rocky, so bring water shoes...you won't regret it. Also, I would definitely suggest renting a car and checking out the countryside, beaches, and Willemstad. If you do rent a car, pay for the GPS. I tried using the GPS on my phone and didn't have great reception in north Curacao. Without a GPS, it's hard to get around because the streets all look similar and there are no street name signs. I would definitely check out the Blue Room (an underwater cave) because it is beautiful!...it is towards the northern side of the island. The Curacao natives are very nice and helpful, which is great when you need help with something. I never felt unsafe while in Curacao. The hotel shop is very overpriced (triple on many things), so if you need anything, just go to the Blvd on the beach (I believe it's called). You can get there easily, by walking out of the resort and walking to the right on the sidewalk...it is just a few minutes walk and has many shops. Also, if you need any kinds of medicine, you will need to go to a Botica; they do not have any kinds of medicine, even advil, in grocery stores or anywhere else that they would have it in the U.S. Botica's are everywhere, so just ask around.

Overall, if you are looking for great snorkeling and an easy country to travel/explore, then Curacao would be the place for you and I think Sunscape is a great place to stay because of the snorkeling. The snorkeling was just fantastic! As long as you have proper expectations, you will not be let down. We had a very enjoyable trip, and will definitely be returning one day.

Room Tip: building 7 is right in front of the softest sand on the beach at the resort (less rocks and coral pi...
6 Thank lrigyelims
NL,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa and Casino was very friendly, and safe. A great spot for a family vacation.e

I liked the fact that it was smaller and you could literally be in a restaurant or on the beach or at the pool in 2 minutes. With a 3 year old granddaughter, it was very convenient to get back to your room easily and quickly.

Room Tip: ask to stay in one of the recently renovated rooms.
4 Thank tudorNl_
Westford, Massachusetts

"Destination Wedding"
Sunscape Curacao Review Destination Wedding April 26, 2014
Apple Representative on site:
I am extremely disappointed that Guillermo Ortega, the Apple representative did not greet me when we arrived. This was not a surprise. I had contacted him last May when we were beginning our search for a destination wedding location. We decided to visit the hotel to make sure it would suit our needs. Mr. Ortega made an appointment to meet us at 10 AM, he did not show up. The front desk told us he would like to reschedule for 4PM, again he did not show up. We tracked him down the next day. I felt that he should have been the liaison to go to, to have issues resolved. He should have told us about the shuttle service, where to find it and which shuttle to use. He should have been the one to correct room issues.
Hotel:
Upon arrival we were taken to the Preferred Lounge for check in. We were offered Sparkling Wine and canapés. After a long day of traveling this was a nice touch. We had booked 24 rooms, all but 3 of these rooms had been upgraded to the Royal Tower. which is an elevator building. I had requested that our older guests be in ground floor rooms, because stairs can be an issue for them, this solved that problem. Theses rooms are larger than in the other buildings and have been newly renovated. The Oceanview rooms in The Pelican, Flamingo and Plover buildings however have unobstructed views. It was nice to have robes, mini bar and full sized toiletries. We received Sparkling wine and a fruit plate delivered to our room, others in our group had a letter in their registration packet, that required them to call for it. When they called it was never delivered. The rooms are cleaned daily and restocked. The problem with the upgrade was that one of the rooms that had booked Oceanview, was given what they say is Oceanview but overlooked a dumpster. The Staff did change the room upon request, but put another one of our guests into that room the next day. The staff had to move them also. Several things needed repair in some of the rooms, these were handled promptly except for the room that the door wouldn't lock. The front desk told the guest that they couldn't repair it. When the guest asked maintenance if they could look at it, it was repaired in about five minutes. It seemed to get things handled correctly, we needed to talk to the Preferred Lounge. I would like to thank Denise and Tiffany for all their help. They are friendly and able to get things handled promptly. Since I was the go to person for the group, I spoke with them several times. They always found the solution or the information that I needed.
The front desk staff really doesn't seem to care about problems and gives a lot of lip service. They didn't know where people were to sign up for the shuttle for the airport and sent people all over the grounds to find it. The shuttle desk is opposite the check in desk. There are 2 different shuttles available to go to the airport one with Tropical Tours and the other with Apple Vacations. This was very confusing because if a guest booked after January 1, the Tropical Tours shuttles charges $30. They were not telling people that maybe they were on the Apple Vacation free shuttle. Once this was discovered, refunds were made. When I had met with Mr. Ortega, Group Sales Manager, last May he had said the shuttle would be free through 2014.
Restaurants:
People line up before the restaurant is scheduled to be assured a table. if you They do not make reservations, they do have pagers at some of the restaurants. Unfortunately, if you are in the later group menu items are not always available. In the buffet when we first arrive the service was great, place settings were on the table and coffee and water was poured promptly. When the staff changed, we needed to find place settings and never received water even after we requested it. The food is really good. Presentation is excellent. Service is very good. Portions are big. I would like to mention Milagros, she is so friendly and helpful. Bars: Service is prompt, never had to wait long for service. The pool bar at the main pool was never open. The upper bar staff did check on the pool bar and serve us that way. Top shelf liquor was only available at the lobby bar. The Grounds: There are plenty of shaded lounge chairs. Everyone found plenty to do if they wanted to. Entertainment every evening outdoors means there is plenty of room for all the guests. Live music during the dinner hours is a nice touch. Movies on the beach were fun for the children. The grounds are kept very clean, all empty cups are continually picked up.

The Wedding:
When our daughter decided to have a destination wedding, naturally choosing the place was very important. She found Sunscape Curacao, and thought it looked perfect. Her dad and I traveled to the resort in May 2013, to check things out. Our first impression was that this would be a perfect place. If you ever want to meet someone who truly loves their job, Zjanina Hernandez is the person to speak to. As wedding Planner, she goes above and beyond to make every Bride and groom feel special. Zjanina Hernandez spent months emailing and helping to plan the wedding. Planning this was is difficult because you cannot see the venue.. We went over the plans upon arrival. The Bride and Groom walked around the resort to select the site for the ceremony and reception. we had brought with us some decorations and Zjanina made sure these were used. The wedding party walked up the aisle to Steel Drums, what a lovely touch, very Caribbean After the ceremony the Bride and Groom walked back down the aisle but again weren't sure what to do. At this point the cocktail hour should have started, with the passed canapés. However all that had been poured was the drinks for the Champagne toast. Since Zjanina was not the to direct us, people started to drink the Champagne. She said we were supposed to cut the cake and do a toast. Which would have been fine but the cake was never delivered. The Baker cancelled the cake., at the last minute. Not to worry we had a pastry and fruit table set up to take its place The buffet at the reception was incredible. Everyone has commented on how good the food was. The issue here was they ran out of plates, this was immediately taken care of and more plates were put out. The DJ was good, the music was varied and we did have a great time. He also did play requests. My daughter introduced the Newlyweds. There was a dance floor, on the sand but once you dance on it, it will even out. The wedding site was perfect. Overlooking the ocean, in the sand. The Bride and Groom had the wedding of their dreams and were totally unaware of the few glitches, that occurred.
Travel Agent:
We used a group travel agent. This made it very easy for the guests to book their trip. Unfortunately, there were not enough packages available for our whole group. Some people had flights changed, after the trip had been booked. others had to book different days than they originally had wanted. Megan Collins from Travel Zap had told us if 10 nights were booked the wedding package for the first 20 guest would be included. This was a mistake on her part and we were charged $2699, for the wedding package. There is a package available with a 10 night stay, but it is for a symbolic ceremony.
There are always issues when traveling in such a large group. None of these issues however interfered with the group enjoying themselves. I do love this resort and am considering traveling to other AM Resorts, in the future.

Room Tip: The Tower rooms are the most recently renovated. They are Preferred Club. The other rooms are smalle...
2 Thank Linda M
McAlisterville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

After months and months of researching we chose this resort. The reviews made me feel comfortable to go a location that even my travel absent wasn't very familiar with. My husband and I loved every minute of it. We opted for the preferred club upgraded room prior to our trip and when we arrived at the resort they upgraded us further to the master suite. It was a fantastic room-very large and a direct view of the ocean. Preferred members get upgraded alcohol options, a private beach, and they have started giving dinner seating preferences to preferred members too (which is very nice because they do not take reservations). Our hostess Milagros was phenomenal. She was so attentive to our needs and got to know us immediately. The entertainment guys, Leo,Chuchoo, Prince T, O'Brien, Zeric, and all the ones I cannot think of off the top of my head, we're excellent. They knew us by name, made it a point to include us in activities, gave us directions to places on the island, and suggestions of what local foods to try. We will absolutely make it a future vacation spot and I suggest you try it out for yourselves!

Room Tip: We chose the preferred club and were given a room in the royal tower. It has an elevator that was ve...
3 Thank Diana R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for informing us of your recent stay.

We are very happy to know your experience was truly a wonderful one, and we thank you deeply for choosing us. It was a pleasure to host you, but even more pleasant to how much you enjoyed every aspect of the resort. Consider Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino your new home away from home.

We really appreciate the time you've taken to share this amazing experience. Our mission has always been to provide our guests with the exceptional services they deserve by taking utmost care of each and every one of their needs.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

If there is anything else we could assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours Sincerely,

A. Kwidama
Assistant to the General Manager
Wallaceburg, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were there from April 20-April 27th....We paid extra for the preferred club so check-in was fairly easy...our room was very nice with an awesome view of our pool and the ocean...The food was okay...nothing to rave about....the staff work very hard and are for the most part very accommodating and pleasant..the evening entertainment was very good, we went every night which is a first for us....the music relaxing which made a terrific atmosphere...
My biggest complaint was the pool and beach chairs in our section....we had no bracelets so basically anyone could be there...the reserving of beach chars and beach beds was very annoying, on our dailt pamphlet it was written in big letters. no reserving of beach chairs or beds...this was not enforced what so ever..I have been to many resorts and I know they all do that but to pay extra I expected to be able to have a chair WITHOUT getting up at 6:00am on vacation.....my other complaint would be the no reservation for dinner policy....we had to line up at 5:30 in order to get in...a lot of people were complaining...this was the first place I have been to that did this....totally unacceptable.....
would I recommend someone go there....not so sure..I went up to the preferred club lounge to discuss this with someone well she totally agreed but nothing changed at all....don't pay extra for the preferred club it is not worth it, people ask for upgrades and end up there for free. that is all you have to do....

Room Tip: Ask for room 8216....gorgeous view....
7 Thank insync22
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

After travelling to Curacao’s Breezes resort 5 times before, we were nervous to return to the same resort after it had changed ownership become the new Sunscape. Much to our surprise we loved it just as much, if not more! Minor improvements such as the room improvements and small restaurant changes were nice but not as important to us as the staff who continually make our trip the best it can be. This year some of the new entertainment staff such as Chuchoo, O’Bryan, Chris and Gigo were great additions to what we consider our “Curacao family”. The other staff that we have known for years such as Leo, Jon, Gaggy, Zeric, and Roshan still continue to amaze us with all of their hard work and fun that they provide during our stay. Our favourite bartenders Norma and Renee, our favourite cook Kurk, waitress Vianella, and host Alex remember us year after year and they also make it so special to return to this resort that we consider our second home. All of these people go out of their way to make everything you need possible. They all go above and beyond what they are required to do and their genuine care about the guests happiness is what makes Sunscape better from any other resort we have ever stayed at. We love the old friends we have at Suncape and love the new ones we have made. We will definitely be returning to see our friends in the future because they are the reason we continually return.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are wonderful. We like the Plover since it is close to everything but then again th...
2 Thank toliveloveandtravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao
Baoase Luxury Resort
Baoase Luxury Resort
#1 of 33 in Willemstad

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!