“Amazing experience for the money! Plus we go engaged on their beautiful beach during the beautiful sunset!”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We are a late 20's early 30's couple on our first major trip to the Caribbean. I had broken my foot 5 week prior to our stay so we were pretty disappointed when our room was on the third floor with no elevators. Once in the room we saw the view and forgot all about wanting to be on the 1st floor. We felt safer with our balcony being on 3rd floor too.

Our house keeper was Christine and she is the sweetest lady we've ever met. She needs a raise!

We were blown away by the large beach and the number of fish you see when snorkeling. We even saw a lion fish! There were always chairs available and you could always find a quiet secluded area. The sunsets from the beach were wonderful, he even proposed while we were on the beach taking pictures on May 29th. Bring your water shoes as the beaches are partially covered in rough coral.

The food was really great at all the restaurants but we did wish they didn't have such strict serving hours. It was nice not having to tip for anything even drinks. We saved a ton of money.

The WiFi is only available in the lobby for $40 a week. There is also a concierge in the lobby to assist with booking of trips but it is wise to book ahead of time as they fill up quickly. It was about $77 to rent a car for the day through hertz but the ATM was broke down on the day we were going to rent it, there were not anymore gps's to rent, and they didn't have a map. So we paid for a taxi down to the grocery store which is fairly close and they didn't sell maps either. Luckily I told the cabby our dilemma and he was nice enough to give us a map and circle important streets and cool places to travel to on the island. All and all after we finally got the car driving around the island was quite the experience. There are not many driving rules to follow and it is hard to hard to navigate the whindy unmarked roads. But totally worth doing to get out and not have to be with a tour group. You should always make sure to go to public and see fired parking lots, parks and beaches though. We did hear of a group getting robbed at one of the caves that does not have security. The beaches on the north and west sides of the island are amazing. Large cliffs, teal water and white sand.

Driving in to Willemstad is interesting to say the least, we ended up driving over the massive bridge three times before we figured out the streets and the turn arounds. Punda has the cheaper shopping and Otterbanda has the pretty buildings and architecture. We found better shopping and t-shirts at tbe airport though.

We took an amazing half day trip to the man made reef, the sunken tug boat and a sweet old fort in Caracais Baai. Larry was our tour guide and he was so hilarious but informative too.

Over all we had an amazing trip and would totally return to Sunscape due to it being the most bang for your buck alone.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Batt86

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just returned from 11 nights at the Sunscape and had a really good time. Curacao is not really on the holiday radar in the UK (yet) so we booked our trip ourselves on the internet. The cost was very reasonable which is why we like to go to islands like Curacao before they get too commercialised. We have been to Dominican Republic, Cuba and Isla Margarita over the years and have a pretty good idea of the standard to expect from "all inclusive" Caribbean resorts.

We booked a Deluxe Sea View room. On arrival we were booked in quickly even though check in was not until 3.00pm and we arrived at 2.00pm. We were taken to our room which was in the Preferred Club - Flamingo building room 8320. The room was exactly as advertised - two big queen sized beds, good mattresses, nice crisp white sheets and lovely fluffy towels. The iPod docking station was a nice touch as were the full sized toiletries in the shower room. The room was cleaned to a high standard each day and the tea, coffee, mini bar and toiletries were topped up as required. There was a bar at the Preferred Club pool but when the Beach Butlers were on duty they filled orders at Oceana where the lovely Norma was always cheerful and friendly. The only thing that spoiled the atmosphere around the pool was a group of very loud American guests - I really do not need to know why this deli is better than that and where to park my car when shopping in their neighbourhood when I am sitting on the other side of the pool - and I nearly had to intervene when it looked like one of the ladies was going to spray suntan lotion into the face of the Iguana which visited to pool, because she was scared of it!

Although there were children in the resort we were never bothered by noise or disruption. We were really impressed with the inflatable cinema screen on the beach showing children’s films in the evenings.

The food in the restaurants was plentiful and well cooked; apart from one evening when something went really awry in the Italian restaurant and meals were served in the wrong order and to the wrong tables and was cold. My husband did bring this to the attention of the management via the Concierge and it did not happen again. I was a bit surprised that the Head Chef spent so much time walking round the resort talking to guests at all times of the day and evening – perhaps if he had been in the kitchen the problem at the Italian would not have occurred. The only disappointment with the food was at lunch time when only burgers, hot dogs and fries were available at the grill or substantial cooked food in the World Grill. The meat which was served was excellent but I did feel that the European guests would have appreciated more salads on the menus and at the buffet. Having wine included was a pleasant surprise and was of a perfectly acceptable standard - no need to buy bottles off the wine list; however we did check the prices and if you used your $10 voucher then the wine was no more expensive than in the liquor stores in Willemstad.

The cocktails were always interesting and there was a great variety. Other reviewers have mentioned that the alcohol was not very strong but we found this OK – who wants to be dehydrated and hung over from drinking cocktails all day. There were premium brands available in the bars especially whisky and rum. The beer was Amstel as expected and local brands of vodka and gin were fine. The big blenders the bar staff used to make the cream based cocktails meant they were always thick and smooth.

The café bar had a good range of teas and coffees and some very nice cakes. If you were there around 4.00pm you also had a choice of sandwiches.

The pool staff were excellent in maintaining the pools to a very high standard all the pools were clean and hygienic. The grounds were also kept to a good standard by the gardeners who were supplied with good quality equipment to carry out their jobs.

The gym was much better than I had expected; although the first time I used it the machines were crowded together and the Swiss balls were not properly inflated. However the following day when I went in at 6.30 am the machines had been neatly spaced out and the Swiss balls properly inflated. I had two sets of workout routines from my personal trainer, one to use if there was appropriate equipment and one using floor exercises if not. I am happy to say that there was everything I required. Of course there were the usual gym bunnies with their iPods pounding the running machines but there were a good number of others who like me obviously wanted to keep up their routines while on holiday and were not disappointed in the equipment available. There were always towels and water and antibacterial spray to clean down the equipment after use.
The Concierges in both the main lobby and Preferred Club lounge were always knowledgeable helpful and accommodating.

I treated myself to a couple of spa treatments and I must say that I received superb care from Nelly who is excellent at massage and facials. I was pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the spa and what a very relaxing environment it provided. Given a choice between dinner for two on the beach and a spa treatment I think I made the right decision! The cost was on a par with what I would spend at home given that you can use $40 of your vouchers against treatments.

One issue that did arise, because we booked the holiday ourselves not through an agent, was transfers from and to the airport. I emailed the hotel for advice and they responded with an email address for Tropical Tours (who have a desk in the hotel lobby) however this did not work from the UK – kept bouncing back undeliverable - so I went back on line and searched for a taxi service myself. I was lucky to find Meyer & Meyer Executive Transfers who charge the standard $40 fee for transfers to Sunscape but have executive vehicles and are very professional. Diana waited for us at the airport, while we tried to find out why our luggage had not been transferred in Amsterdam, and was charming and professional in all her dealings with us. On the return trip her husband Harold was charming, efficient and a mine of knowledge about the island and its history. So if you need an airport transfer contact Diana or Harold for a first class service.

All in all I would recommend Sunscape Curacao to anyone. It is good value for money and lives up to the promises made on its website. The staff are pleasant and polite, no one was ever rude or discourteous to us; if you are polite and pleasant to them they have no reason to be. Any organisation has room for improvement and Sunscape is not perfect but it is will not disappoint you. If you are going to Curacao from the UK it is a bit of a schlep having to go via Amsterdam or Miami and the transfers that involves (and possible delays in getting your luggage) but it is worth it. Oh yes … we got $100 compensation from KLM at the airport for the inconvenience caused by the delayed luggage!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the Preferred Club - Flamingo building rooms 8100 to 8322 you do not need to ta...
6  Thank Vanessa G
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We booked this trip through AAA and Apple Vacations. Upon arrival we were upgraded. The service from the desk staff, Entertainment Team, and food service was excellent. All the people were friendly and helpful. The facilities were convenient, clean and attractive. Folks like Milagros, Johnny Rocket, Choo Choo were a delight and made the trip fun and relaxing. We will go back. Our favorite restaurant was the Bluewater Grill. Great steak, ribs, and sunsets.

Room Tip: 7000 and 8000 rooms in the member preferred area were quiet and the beach was excellent.
3  Thank RLP2014
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your two weeks of vacations and that you were pleased with our service and our staff. Thank you for your comment and for the time you have taken to inform us.

We hope to see you again soon.

Remaining at your services,

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Food & Service were excellent! Not one bad meal! Our first all-inclusive and we were impressed!
Snorkeling was amazing!!!! Went for a day to Williamstad, otherwise there was plenty to do at resort. Employees were always pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask to be closer to end of resort, near Preferred Members section, quiet without the added cost!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Moshma

Dear Guest,

Our main goal is to meet and exceed our guest' expectations, and we are very happy to know that we did so. We always want guests to feel just like you: right at home.
Thank you for your kind words and for your honest opinion about us.

We are looking forward to receiving you once again in a near future. And please let us when you decide to come back to us.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

After extensively reading reviews, I felt I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. The resort overall more than met our expectations. My wife and I are pretty laid back travellers, and as long as the basics are in place we are happy. Getting to the resort was easy. Immediatley upon heading outside of the airport we ran into a young ladt with Holiday Tours and arranged a shuttle with several others to the resort. Cost was $30 per person. Cabs were in no short supply either fro about $40 for the trip. Check in was smooth and a bellman quickly got our luggage up to our room. He was also thorough in explaining the resort amenities, restaurants, and how everything worked. I believe his name was Jose. Our room was nice and well maintained by housekeeping each day of our stay. The mini bar was restocked each day, linens were refreshed, and they even took extra care in organizing our personal belongings. We originally booked a garden view room, but we ended up recieving an ocean view room that was centrally located near the pool, bars, and restaurants. This was a definite plus. We both found the food to be very good. We did the buffet for breakfast every morning. Most mornings we were there around 10am and found it not to be to crowded. Everything was fresh and well stocked, and Ana was very good about keeping our coffee cups filled. For lunch we usually just grabbed burgers or dogs and fries form the Bluewater Grill. They were sufficient. For Dinner we hit each restaurant once, and even repeated the Italian restaurant Da Mario's as it was our favorite. The food was all fantastic. Some of the appetizers felt like they had been prepared hours ago and were a little on the cool side, but the entrees were great. Service was a little on the slow side. There appeared to be no real urgency on the part of the staff. This may be a matter of perspective as an American were we are used to everything being fast and efficient. It did take a while for things like drinks and bread to be brough out. We did not have any problems being seated. Each night we were sat right away. The resort was not super busy though, and this may have factored into this. Service at the bars was just fine. The drinks were all good, and there was always plenty of Amstel on tap! I would definitley recommend throwing the bartenders an occasional tap. They definitley appreciate it and remember you when you come back. The beach on the resort was fine. There was plenty of shade and chairs. Again, occupancy of the resort may have factored in. I would highly recommend water shoes. There are a lot of rocky portions of the beach and your feet will thank you. They have them for sale in one of the shops, but we came prepared with our own. Snorkeling right there on the resort was outstanding. There are rock breaker walls all along with plenty of exotic sea life to observe. You can borrow snorkel gear free for an hour at a time. There is a diveshop across the street from the resort and about a block down where we purchased more high quaity gear. It was well worth it, and the shop was a neat experience itself. Getting to and from Downtown Willmstad was easy. The resort ran free shuttles at various times, or you can catch a bus for just a couple of dollars. There was great shopping in the Punda district, and we had fun negotiating. If you are looking at things like jewelry and watches, it seems that no price is final. For a more upscale shopping experience, head over the bridge to the Rif Fort mall in the Otrabanda district. On our last day we rented a car and did some beach hopping. I highly recommend this as well. It is much cheaper than an excursion, and as long as you can read a map you can get around the island with ease. There are two rental car agencies in the lobby and it was a simple process. We hit Cas Abou, Portomari, and Kokomo Beach. Cas Abou was beautiful and looked straight out of a magazine. Snorkeling at Portomari was amazing. We even found a habitat for pink flamingos and got some great pictures. Overall we really enjoyed our stay, and the island of Curacao in general. We would definitely go again and recommend the resort.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the central pool/bar area. It was super convenient and noise did not rea...
7  Thank Marc B

Dear Guest,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and had a perfect honeymoon with us and thank you for the feedback! It is very important for us that our guest' experienced are shared.
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your collaboration and we hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Just can back from resort, as you enter the lobby, appears old and outdated with low ceilings, when you check in make sure to check your room on the map and make sure you are okay with the view, I purchased an ocean view and was shafted with back side canal view, I had to lean over the balcony to see the ocean, and when I tried to change it they were all out so had to wait till the last day to change, anyhow great snorkel, okay food, casino is full of locals and you don't have all inclusive in there so when u check in they give u tickets for two free drinks in, people in casino look ghetto, night entertainment okay, I like the steak house and make sure to try the sea food after 6 pm at oceana resort, u have to be there at 6 to reserve or else it gets full and u can't get there anymore, we stayed at the newer tower with elevators, make sure u stay there cause rooms and hallways are newly renovated looks nice, great staff go ou of their way to help out. Make sure u also try Asian food restaurant, walking distance is aquarium with dolphin show and sea lion shows, very informative and interesting, 21$ to get in per person but worth it. City extremely beat up outside resort, 40$ to get from airport to hotel. I don't think I would go there again but it wasn't that bad at all. Oh and make sure to take singles, tips go long way

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank maximzand

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your objective comment about your experience in our resort.

Your comments have been forwarded to the corresponding department and they are in revision, in order to perform the necessary changes and provide the guests with the service they deserve.
We take every comment received very seriously in order to continue improving our services.

Once again thank you very much.

Have a pleasant day,

Assistant to General Manager

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This resort was a disappointment. They upgraded us to the preferred member's tower rooms on the third floor which had no elevator, which was hard with a baby. One of our rooms the phone did not work, the air conditioner only had two settings very cold or very hot. Our other rooms there were water leaks from the ceiling and smelled very musky. Management (Xavier) was told about the issues we were having on the second day of our stay, but only took care of the smelly issue. Again management was told about these issues on the 3rd day of our stay and again nothing was ever done to fix them, so we just lived with them and was very unhappy. The restaurant served the same menu for the week we were there; wish they had changed up the choices on the menu. The well stock Mini-bar in each room is refreshed upon request only with 2 waters 2 sodas and 2 beers, you will need to ask for more and hope you get it. The service in all the restaurants started out bad, but it seem the attitudes of the servers changed after we complained to management. The servers Kerrion and Marshall in the World Cafe were the best, thank you for all your help and making our meal times special. Management did make sure we got milk put in our room for the baby, they also helped with us getting into the Seafood and steak restaurant fort the 6:30 sitting since we kept getting there to late(6:20). No reservations are taken at any of the specialty restaurant so get there early or you will be eating around 9pm. The spa was wonderfully. And there is a shuttle into town twice a day but you need to put your name on the list to save a seat. The beach area is nice just a little rocky when walking into the water, bring water shoes.The pools are very nice. We will not be going back, we will spend the extra dollars and find a better place.

Room Tip: Go for the royal tower there is an elevator. Bring beach shoes for the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SRNOrlando
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We are so sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. We reviewed each of your comments and have taken appropriate action to resolve each issue in the room occupied. In addition, we are re-evaluating our inspection processes to ensure these type of issues do not occur in the future.
We greatly appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience.

Thank you very much for your review.

Assistant to the General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Hilton Curacao
Hilton Curacao
#16 of 32 in Willemstad
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!