“A wonderful getaway”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Chicago, IL
“A wonderful getaway”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The amazing lagoon and the great people on staff made this resort an incredible escape.
First, I’ll start with the lagoon. The water is clear enough to see around 20 feet (or more) away. It’s teaming with fish and even has a few coral. Snorkeling around the lagoon kept us busy for days. As is typical at most resorts, they offer gear, but limit the amount of time you can keep it, so you might want to bring your own snorkel and goggles.
The beaches are a bit rocky in areas, but each beach area had at least one span that was completely sandy. You can avoid wearing shoes if you just keep a look out for that opening. The water itself is calm and clear, so getting in and out is very easy.
We didn’t have trouble finding lounge chairs on the beach or at the pools. Even at mid-day.
Our room was perfect - probably the best view in the resort. We were in the Royal Tower Room 2503, which was convenient to just about everything. Our room seemed to have been recently renovated, which was good. It had a kitchenette, which is unusual at an all-inclusive, but it did come in handy when we had to leave the resort at 6 am for an excursion. We simply packed a plate at dinner, kept it in our fridge and heated it up in the microwave in the morning. Just an FYI, some of the buildings in the center of the resort seemed to have more shabby rooms.
Now, as far as the staff, I’m not sure how they did it, but they knew we were Preferred Club guests and, boy, did they make us feel special. Everything was great starting with check-in. There was a huge crowd at the lobby desk when we arrived and up came someone who asked if we were preferred club. They whisked us into the AC, seated us and provided snacks. They sat with us to check us in. It was a nice “wow” experience.
Then they introduced us to Chucho from the entertainment staff, who then gave us a tour while the bellhops took our luggage up. It was nice because he introduced us to staff and showed us where we could eat right away. From then, the staff was spot on with customer service. Of course, there was the typical slow-ish service for food or drinks while it was being prepared, but nothing out of the ordinary for an all-inclusive.
The hostesses at the buffet especially stood out. They would ask us where we’d like to dine for dinner and make the arrangements for us. If you want to make sure you can get into the restaurants, be sure to upgrade to Preferred Club, because it did seem that there were lines at the specialty restaurants for the most part.
All of the restaurants were good. The Japanese hibachi was probably some of the best of that type of food that I’ve had in the Caribbean. The grill was good for both lunch and dinner. The seafood restaurant had delicious conch dishes. The Italian restaurant was good, but not a favorite. The International Buffet was a little smaller than some resort buffet’s, but it still had a nice variety and the food was tasty. At the Buffet, Daynalisa was always friendly and remembered us. Milagras was especially great and absolutely professional. She helped to make our trip special. One night she even stopped by to make sure we got our table ok and that everything was going well.
The industrial area was a bit more in your face than I expected (I guess oil rigs come in to the harbor for service or something). We could see the oil rig, passing container ships, and the cruise ships when they came in out in the distance from our room. I knew their chief income is oil refining, so I understand… it’s just unfortunate.
Also, be encouraged to explore Curacao. It was as safe as most US urban areas (read as, just be aware of your surroundings) and it was incredibly easy to get around by bus ($1.50 per person?!?!). Willemstad was a cute city.
One last tip, the ATM at the resort is Mastercard. If you need Visa or Amex, you'll have to take a trip into town (or at least the nearby gas station), so don't forget to bring your excursion cash with you.

Room Tip: Lagoon view in Preferred Club Royal Tower is the way to go. Great views and noise was not a problem.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Loonybat
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for allowing Sunscape Curacao to be your hosts during your vacation and thank you for the time you have taken to tell us of your experience.

Thank you very much for all your feedback and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience at our resort, we certainly hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Assistant to the General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,381)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Rated 4 stars but that is just for the staff . Everything else about resort except for location, was just eh.. Stayed May 23-30 to celebrate my daughter's birthday.We stayed in building 6. The room was okayand the beds were uncomfortable, but had a great view and good location. The absolute best thing about this resort is the staff! With the exception of the woman who checked us in and a woman working at the World Cafe, everyone else was wonderful. Shout out to our bellman Juan, bartenders Gigio, Renee, Gerald and of course Baby Love (Norma)! They were outstanding. Had a good time at casino playing Blackjack. The dealers were great and the locals we played with were a lot of fun. The food was mediocre at best and sometimes downright inedible. It seems they have a major consistency issue with food. We ate one night at Oceana. We waited over an hour for our food, and the fish tasted like it had been cooking for an hour. We couldn't eat it. Some people we met said they waited a long time to, but that it was good. We ate twice at Humitsu. The first time it was excellent, the second time was just okay. We had a different cook from first visit. Mildred took care of us both times and she was wonderful! Da Mario their Italian Restaurant was okay, We ate twice at Bluewater Grill for dinner. One time was good, the second time was barely edible. The buffet at World Cafe is much better at breakfast. Just so so for lunch and dinner. The desserts at all the restaurants were terrible. Go visit the ice cream window if you have a sweet tooth. I think this might be the first vacation where I didn't gain weight! The alcohol is lower proof and they make drinks in very small glasses with about 1/2 to 3/4 oz. of liquor in it. Bring a larger insulated glass and a few dollars for tips and the bartenders will fill it up for you when you ask for more alcohol. The Lobby bar has higher shelf liquors, but it is hidden from view. You have to ask for it. We went there everyday. Gigio took great care of us there. The wine they serve is 7% ABV. You have to pay for bottles of wine if you want the normal 12% ABV. If they have it in stock. The entertainment crew was great with what they had to work with. The elevator music they play in the Lobby and World Cafe has got to go. Upbeat island music is desperately needed here. The snorkeling is great, but bring your own fins if you are female and wear a size 6-7. The dive shop I think has only one pair. I had to try four separate times to get swim fins.You only get them for an hour for free. After that, it costs. All in all, we loved Curacao and the people and will go back, but we would stay somwhere else.

Room Tip: Bring water shoes and an insulated mug for drinks.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Geralynn Z
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to post a review of your stay with us.

We thank you very much for all your feedback, both positive and otherwise, here at our wonderful resort we always take on board the comments left to us by our much valued guests as this is an excellent way of making improvements in the future.

We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 June 2014

First off we enjoyed out trip and the resort but we did have room issues.my sisters and I go on a yearly trip to celeberate our birthdays and we chose Sunscape not only for the location but for the value,we rented a car and drove there which was no easy feat since there is a lot of missing street signs but we arrived and was checked in and was taken to our room on the 3rd floor of the first horseshoe building facing the beach good view of the ocean and the beach grill/Fish resturant at night,we loved the room BUT at night when they served meals on the beach there the over powering smell of fish would knock you down and the smoke from the grill billowing up to the point we could not sit on our patio or have the door open so we were moved to the building next door and this was far worse no A/C and only a balcony big enough to stand on if you are a small person and our door had hugh cracks in it and would not lock so we were move again for the third time to the other side of the first building we were in and it was GREAT! The staff all over the resort were good except the ladies at the front desk which were rude and in no hurry to correct any problems. The beach was rocky so bring water shoes but once in the water it is a great place to swim or snorkel.We enjoyed all the resturants and you can find something for all taste.Drinks were good and if you want them stronger just ask and they will be happy to! Entertainment lacks alot so arrange that else where if you want to party go to Mombo Beach which is next door. Internet is costly and in coffee lounge only unless you book preferred club and then it is included and is Stated to be in your room also we were not informed upon check in or by travel agent that unless you were a preferred club member you could not use certain beach lounge chairs or certain parts of the beach or the preffered club pool. One big gripe was the Main pool we were run out of it by 7:00pm and told it closes nightly which sucks because you want to be able to swim in the evenings when you can not use the beach.The big rock was never open the entire time we were there to do the rock climbing and also saw where they had these huge balls that you go into and walked into the water in kinda like a hamster ball so to speak and they were offered on there website as an activity to do there but when we asked about them no one knew what we were or what we were talking about.When we went to Jamacia they made us feel welcome and sent each of us a hugh plate of fresh fruit to our rooms for our birthdays but do not expect anythuing from sunscape!!!!! Now this all said we still had a good time and enjoyed ourselves and will be returning September the 10th through the 21nd and hope we get a great room with an ocean view which we have paid for by booking an upgrade to the Preferred club and for the internet in our room since phone minutes were costly about a dollar a minute so we can stay in contact with family,and we are planning on having a blast! Cynthia Huffman

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank susannehuffman
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment about your experience in our resort.
We are happy that in overall you enjoyed your vacations.
Thank you for the time that you have taken to inform us.

We are looking forward to receiving you once again in a near future.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We read a few reviews on Trip Advisor before we booked through AA Vacations...the good seemed to outweigh the bad, sadly, we were mistaken!

I arrived with my one year old son, they placed me in the farthest building (building 8), immediately I requested something closer. They placed us in building 7, almost just far as building 8. This room had a beautiful view of the ocean, but was really small, no bathtub, no screen door and a few other issues. When I requested a room that had a tub, not a shower so I could bathe my child, I was told nothing was available. Also, this room was right across from the towel storage room, so every morning I could hear the conversations of the staff. After two mornings of this I went back to the front desk and explained that I needed a tub and was being disturbed each morning, I was told to come back the next day. My son fell in the shower and I went back again and asked for a manager, then my room was changed. I was put in a beautiful room in the "preferred building." This really impressed me and thought things were looking up...I was once again sadly mistaken!

Once my husband joined us, we thought things were going well, we took an evening stroll on the beach, sat on some chairs with our son and realized that there were RATS running under our chairs, not one, not two, several!!!! Large RATS! We immediately went to the front desk, I was in tears, as rodents are terrifying to me, the person at the front desk responded "that's disgusting" and made a phone call, no apology, not even an acknowledgement that this should not occur at a resort!

The next day, there was an issue with our transportation to the airport, we were told we'd have to pay for it even though when we booked, it was supposed to be free. I requested to speak to a manager (a woman named Louise came to us). I relayed all of the issues from the first room, to the RATS, to the misinformation about a free shuttle to the airport, once again, not even an apology...Louise just stood there looking at us.

The next day another representative saw that we were not happy and asked what was going on, we explained and they connected us with Xavier (the concierge), he was apologetic and noted everything that had taken place. He offered some things to make up for our inconveniences, we declined. His concern and apology were appreciated, though we'd never return to SUNSCAPE! Choose another hotel!

The staff at the front desk was very unhelpful, they need retraining in customer service! The staff in the World cafe and the bellmen were amazingly polite and welcoming!

Also, the beach towels were old and tattered. We had to call for face towels even though we only switched our towels once for the week. And lastly, AVOID the pitch for their Unlimited Vacations Club! It's a waste of a day of your vacation. All the added costs will add up beyond what they advertise!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank ZuShanna T
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, 11 June 2014

Greetings from Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino,
Thank you for informing us of your recent stay.

It was a pleasure to host you at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino.
We really appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience. We deeply regret that we were not able to meet your overall expectation.
As a service oriented company, we always strive to meet and succeed our guests' expectations, and for that reason, your comments and feedback are taken very seriously in order to offer all our clients a remarkable experience and high quality service as you all deserve.
We took notice in your feedback that you met our Chief Concierge Xavier.
He discussed about this incident and we took all the corrective actions to avoid this to repeat itself.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenient you went through.
We look forward to an opportunity of hosting you and your family again in the future.

Should there be anything else we could assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My son, daughter-in-law and I spent another unbelievable vacation at SUNSCAPE Curacao. We stayed April 28, 2014 thru May 4, 2014. We had vacationed at this resort in later part of 2013 and fell in love with this island and this resort.

We arranged for a rental car prior to our arrival. Just Drive driver, Edgar, was waiting for us at pax pickup, we were driven across the street to their office to finalize the rental paperwork (we opted for a RAV4) and within 10-15 min. we were turned loose on Curacao. We had a car for one day Oct. and so we felt pretty confident about driving on the island and finding our way back to the resort. Driving is pretty easy except around Willemstad....and you must drive by Willemstad to get to the resort. There were 2 holidays being observed while we were there - one was Kings Day. To add to the confusion, there is massive road work being done on the Queen Juliana Bridge. My son was the driver for the week and did a remarkable job of navigating in and around the city and the whole island.

Sunscape is a very laid-back resort. So comfortable that you immediately feel at home. I want to thank Kurt Klaber for helping to make our stay absolutely perfect. We requested the Preferred Club and our room was on the 3rd floor of the Flamingo Building, 3rd floor with a breathtaking view of the beach, the Caribbean Sea. and the Flamingo Pool - one of three pools on the property. The room was fine for 3 people and was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was adequate - but small. I've stayed in many resorts and other than a resort in Aruba, this was the smallest bathroom ever. But we survived!

The beach and Flamingo pool both have Attendants walking around taking orders. Additionally, the Oceana Bar was very close to the Flamingo beach/pool.

The snorkeling right off the Flamingo building was amazing! The water is beautiful and clear.....and tapers off to become very deep.

There 6 bars, 3 pools, and 6 restaurants. All the restaurants are open air except the Italian restaurant, Da Mario. We were pleased with the food everywhere we dined. Last year, I thought I had made a mistake booking a resort where most all of our meals were served out of doors - but it was no mistake after all: in the evening the breezes from the Caribbean were very cooling and pleasant. The same for this trip - perfect dining weather out of doors.

Sunscape is located in Punda, close to Jan Thiel Beach to the south. Walking distance to the Curacao Seaquarium and what seemed to be a new shopping/beach/nightlife area, The Boulevard. We spent one day, all day in Willemstad. It is a lovely city divided by the lovely old Queen Emma floating bridge - pedestrians only. Last year we got to see this lovely old girl open to allow a ship to enter and they close. This year we crossed the bridge the bridge and saw it stay open for hours! Fortunately, there is a ferry that fills the needs when the Emma must stay opened for extended periods of time: Cruisers: be aware that this could cause a problem if you are in a hurry to catch your ship - be aware that the ferry is pretty fast to cross. Another thought: last year we were unaware that parking in Willemstad was not free - each parking space is numbered and you program the number of ;your parking spot into an electronic station somewhere on the same block. And you need (I think this right) Gulden to feed the meter. The Casino at the resort can change currency for you. Yes, there is a good size casino located on the resort property. This is open to the public as well as resort guests, but we only went in to change dollars to gulden for parking stations.

One of the reason for renting a car for the full time of our vacation was to spend time on the west coast of the island where the beautiful beaches are located and the snorkeling is great. Last year we did the full loop of the island - up the east side (rocky - not great for swimming/snorkeling that we could see - but we did spend time at Christoffel Park and Shete Boka Park - beautiful cliffs, etc.) to Westpunt then back down the west coast of the island (all easy driving). We only had time to stop a one beach then - this trip we went directly up to Westpunt stopping at several beaches along the way. Our favorite beach by far is Playa Lagun. Snorkeling was awesome. So quaint - colorful fishing boats and nets were pulled up on the beach. There are "cliffs" on 2 sides of the area with a straight shot out to the Caribbean. Just absolutely beautiful.

There is a restaurant across from the beach - open air. Son and DIL had a chance to enjoy a Lion Fish. Said it was really good - but my gosh! What an ugly head. Yes, the WHOLE thing was served up on a plate with salad and fried. (This is a Padi Dive and snorkel center with a grill and fresh fish restaurant only 3 minutes from Curacao's divesite No. 1 Mushroom Forest - did not get to do the Mushroom Forest - would LOVED to - perhaps next time - and there WILL be a next time.)

We also spent several hours at Grope Knip. It, too, is a beautiful beach - perfectly clear water, gentle waves.

I could go on all day about Sunscape - but you have experience it yourself. It's not for everyone I'm sure - We've stayed at 4 and 5 star resorts - with all the bells and whistles. But I'm just drawn to this place and the fantastic staff. At every turn there is always someone saying to my request: It will be my pleasure. How cool is that?

Just go and enjoy this very nice resort on an absolutely beautiful island.

Room Tip: I believe there are 2 buildings in the "preferred" category: The Tower and the Flamingo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank poohsmom123
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 6 days. The island is beautiful. Very easy to get around w the shuttle the hotel provides for free. The resort was clean. The restaurants were good. A lot of the food all starts to taste the same after a while. I don't eat meat so I felt like I didn't have a lot of options. The staff is super friendly. Anything you need they will try to get it for you. Example I drank too much one night and one of the world cafe ladies went and found me saltine crackers, and ginger ale. So nice. Food is available 24/7. The entertainment crew is outstanding!!! They definitely made it an extra special vacation. I will definitely be back!!! Best vacation ever!!

• Stayed April 2014
6 Thank Reece27
Reviewed 4 June 2014

From the moment we were greeted at the airport from the Sunscape rep till we flew home we were treated to the most stressless 6 days of vacation! The room size and personal veranda were larger than expected. Every staff member we encountered couldn't have been nicer and there were plenty of staff members to attend to all the guests. Unlimited amount of good food and drinks for an all inclusive deal well within afforability. High quality personable entertainment staff, super treatments from Juana in the spa, and Milagros genuine friendliness from the World Cafe were standouts from our trip! My only suggestion--please work on your beach to be able to walk in the water without water shoes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Kristie J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!