“Great Vacation Spot”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Sunscape Curacao Resort was the perfect destination, my friend and I had an awesome time. It is a great location as there are bars, restaurants, and beach parties basically a 5 minute walk away from the resort. It is safe to leave the resort and check out all the cool areas Curacao has to offer. What really made our trip was going to the ParadiseWorld festival, we were big fans of the performers (Major Lazer) and so happy that we saw the Major Lazer truck on our way home from one of the beach parties. It was an unreal way of spending our last night in Curacao! I would highly recommend staying at Sunscape Curacao Resort.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jay24568
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for informing us of your recent stay.

We are very happy to know your Sunscape experience was truly a wonderful one, and we thank you deeply for choosing us. It was a pleasure to host you, but even more pleasant to hear how much you enjoyed the location of the resort. Consider Sunscape Curacao Resort your new home away from home.

We really appreciate the time you've taken to share this amazing experience. Our mission has always been to provide our guests with the exceptional services they deserve by taking utmost care of each and every one of their needs.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was the first time with an all inclusive hotel and first time in curaçao. The service was above and beyond and there really is no need to venture off the resort. There were five great restaurants to choose from with excellent food. The views were perfect of the open ocean with a Coral wall to create beautiful bays. The resort catered to the very active with providing kayaks, paddle boards, and snorkeling equipment to the beach bum with great cabanas and lounge chairs on the beach and endless caribbean cocktails. There were excellent activities for kids too having an explorers club and activities all day long for kids to participate in that we noticed. Each night there was excellent entertainment which at times can be loud but went on no later than 10:30 and then the resort went completely quiet. The only thing I would say they could improve on would be timeliness, but you are on vacation. You definitely are on Curacao time with the staff which isn't always a bad thing. We were on our honeymoon so we had some special services like breakfast in bed and romantic dinner on the beach. Both of which we made reservations for but had to wait over 45 minutes to an hour for both from the reserved time. All in all, it was a fabulous trip and the only advice I would give is sometimes you need to be flexible with timeliness and last minute changes but would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carolyn L

Thank you for informing us of your recent stay.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience, and at the same, provide your feedback, which we take very seriously in order to improve ourselves everyday to be able to offer you the exceptional services you deserve. We thank you deeply for choosing Sunscape Curacao Resort as your vacation destination.

We are pleased to know you enjoyed every aspect of the resort, specially the food, which we put so much love behind. It was a pleasure hosting you.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was the first time for us in an all inclusive resort other than a specific dive resort. The room was clean and well kept up, the restaurants were fabulous and provided much variety, They had entertainment every night, we particularly liked the musicians. The service was excellent. There was this wonderful person called Milagras (Miracle) and she made us feel extra special. One night she had a beautiul dinner with flower petals on the table and candlelight just for our group of four. She always watched out for us, making sure everything was going right. The beach area is fantastic, they have a rock barrier that breaks the wave and a wonderful swim and snorkel area. They have a little scuba shop on the premises, with Ocean Encounters, and the diving was good, they pick you up right at the resort and there are rinse tanks and a community locker for your gear. So, no complaints, a very restful vacation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Linda M
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for informing us of your recent stay.

It was a pleasure to host you at Sunscape Curacao Resort, and we really appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience. Thank you for choosing Sunscape Curacao Resort as your vacation destination in Curacao.

We are glad to hear your overall experience was a great one, and you enjoyed every aspect of the resort, such as the food, the Entertainment activities and the attentions provided from our staff who always strives to deliver excellent service.

We look forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Of the best hotels I have stayed, the stay is just perfect and the meals, the quality of the staff, the rooms and all other services totally enjoyable, a great hotel, the staff always attentive to the needs of hosted and always concerned them, 100% recommended if you want to relax and disgrutar a nice vacation.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, do not worry in which to choose.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Axel Xavier P
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunscape Curacao Resort!

It is always a pleasure to receive reviews as positive as yours.

Knowing that our guests make such great memories at our resort and that the hard work of our staff is being appreciated by our valuable guests, are the reason why we keep on looking for better ways to please our guests.

We sincerely appreciate your comments and look forward to keep indulging you and your family at Sunscape Curacao Resort .

Best Regards!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The beautiful waters, room in the towers and friendly staff made this vacation for our family of six. I mostly would like to thank Xavier. What a hard working manager. (I don't think he had a day off the whole time we were there). If we had an issue or problem, he took care of it right away. We had no problem getting into restaurants, always easy to get a chair and shade on beach. We could enter water without water shoes and we enjoyed the bartenders and the hard working women at the beach grill everyday making hotdogs and fries (hamburgers not so good). Café was great for coffee/tea and sweets everyday. Loved the ice cream window as well. Buffet for lunch and dinner not so good but we liked the specialty restaurants. The swim up bar really needs to be set up and open. Its a social gathering place and even though they try to come serve you from adjoining bar, it really needs to have a bartender there the whole time. They really need a separate service bar for the staff so bartenders can concentrate on guest that are at the bar. We had a very nice and relaxing vacation and I will miss Xavier and I forgot the bartenders names, Johnathan being one of them at the Rendevous Bar and others, sorry.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Jody_m930
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment about us. It finds us with great joy to know that you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed all the aspects of your vacations.

I will make sure to let the employees mentioned know that they helped make your vacations even better than they were.

It was an honor having you here and we hope you decide to visit us in the near future.

Have a pleasant day,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

If you read my past reviews, you will notice I am pretty easy to please, and write many wonderful reviews. Unfortunately, this vacation didn't leave a lot of room for compliments. I'm a "glass half full" kind of person, so let me start with the positives of this "resort".

Positives:
1. The view/location is breath taking! The ocean water is crystal clear, and the palm trees are plentiful.
2. Jonathan Nowels, the bartender, was the nicest, most personable staff member at Sunscape. He was friendly, gave us anything we asked for, and smiled. He actually smiled (which was a rare commodity at Sunscape).
3. Merisol at the Oceana restaurant went out of her way to make sure we were able to eat one night (after we chased dinner at 3 restaurants, and it was then 9:30 PM). She set an extra table for us, and gave us wonderful service! Thank you to Merisol and Jonathan!
4. Easy Snorkeling! You go to the snorkel hut, grab your gear, and dive right in. No need for an excursion. We loved this!
5. Lots of security. There is a lot of security walking/standing around. We felt very safe!

Well, that's it for the positives. I am sad to say this. I am sad that I'm trying so hard to think of more, but they just aren't there.

Negatives: (hold on to your chair)
1. If you paid for "preferred club", do not expect ANYTHING! There is a "preferred club only" pool, that is supposed to have special liquors at the "bar. You know what this means? This specific pool has a bar "cart" (like you see at a hotel wedding). There was nothing more at this "bar" than any other bar. There is NO wifi in the resort EXCEPT in the lobby and in the preferred club room (in the lobby). They do not just give you the password in your welcome packet. You have to go into the room, wait in line, and one of their 4 staff members will type the password into your device. It's like standing in line for crumbs. It made us feel anything but special. I felt like we were begging. My husband and I are self employed so I had to get online 3-5 times during our visit to do a little work. I dreaded going in there! But as soon as you leave the resort, there is free wifi all over the island. It's pretty pathetic! Preferred Club is a JOKE!!!! NOTHING at this resort was "easy" for the guests. We had to work for food, drinks and WIFI.

2. Do NOT expect to eat a thing between 4-6:30 PM. There is not one crumb of food available (unless you hoard your lunch leftovers). I mean, there isn't nachos, chips, popcorn, fresh fruit or anything! Oh wait, I take that back. There were little pastries in the coffee shop. This was our biggest complaint. EVERYONE on vacation, after being in the sun all day, has the munchies before dinner!!!!!!!!!! So our entire day was planned around food, because we knew there were times we couldn't get it. How's that for an expensive vacation?!!!!!!!

3. The first day we were there, we hung out in the pool all day. My husband apparently leaned up against the tile on the side of the pool. When he got out, his swimsuit was BROWN from all the pool scum on the tile!!!!!!!!

4. There is one swim up bar, but don't get excited. There isn't anyone manning it. There is another bar connected to it (behind it) that the bartenders work. So if you are at the pool bar, you have to yell at the bartender in the other bar for him to maybe or maybe not come down and take your order. You know those fun times at the pool bars, where you laugh with the staff, and they serve fun drinks etc....? Well, do NOT expect that at Sunscape.

5. There is absolutely NO wait staff at any of the pools or the beach! You can NOT order drinks from a nice staff person taking orders. You are on your own. You always always always have to get up and go get your own drinks (and the cups are 5 ounces, so you will get your exercise).

6. (a) 9 out of 10 times we ordered food at any of the restaurants, they would come back to us and say to at least one of us "We are out of ____". We only had ONE meal where they didn't say that to us. On our last night, before we ordered I even said "before I order, can you tell me what you are out of". She laughed!

(b) The buffet...... BORING! No lush fruits like you expect in the Caribbean. 7 of out 10 times we attempted the buffet, the trays were empty or dismal at best. I found myself thinking "just get full so you aren't hungry. So I ate bagels and cream cheese EVERY MORNING. One morning at the buffet breakfast, the waitress asked us what we wanted to drink, and she never returned. I had to leave the restaurant and go order our waters at the pool bar!

(c) One morning we ordered room service, asked for scrambled eggs. They called me back and said "we are out of scrambled eggs. Would you like fried eggs?" Um, aren't they all from an egg? That one made me laugh. One afternoon I ordered 2 snacks from room service, and of course they called back to tell me they were out of something. It became a HUGE joke. I had to laugh to keep from going postal!

7. Half the trip, we wouldn't get hand towels or bath rags... I had to call and request them. Which did no good. They never showed up. Same with the coffee.

8. Here's the biggest one..... DINNER! It's a cluster and stressful on the guests! They don't take reservations, which is usually a good thing at an all inclusive, but not at Sunscape. You have 2 options.... You leave the pool at 5 to go get cleaned up, then stand in a line when the restaurants open at 6:30, and hope you get in. Or you can get in line at 6:30 and take a beeper for a later time (like 8, 8:30, or 9). BUT, when you show back up at your designated time, you are still not guaranteed to eat. It's a huge gamble. See, the buffet closes at 9, so if you wait too long on the "waiting for a table" you may be too late to even eat at the buffet...... WE WERE HUNGRY A LOT AT SUNSCAPE! They need to fix this system ASAP! When you pay this kind of money, you should NEVER EVER EVER wonder if you will be able to eat a meal!

8. The casino is NASTY! Half the machines are broken, or the screens are so old, you can't read them. It smells HORRIBLE and the drinks aren't free in there. Do not waste your time or money at the casino!

9. Every single day I would hear guests complaining about their room and trying to get a different room. It is SOOOOOO inconvenient to switch rooms on vacation. Sunscape needs to fix their rooms so guests do not have to change. I heard everything from A/C not working, to shower drain so clogged they were standing in their overflowing shower water to get "clean". Oh, and there are HUGE rats! We saw a couple (at night) and they are the size of an armadillo. NO JOKE! But they were outside, so no worries in your room.

There is NO bending over backwards for the guests. The staff is not smiling. The drinks are weak. The food is scarce. If you are reading this, and you have already booked your vacation to Sunscape, I am sorry! The good news is, take some extra money because a really nice shopping and dining area is just a 6 minute walk up the street called The Blvd and it's great!

Room Tip: Make sure you stay on the East side where it's been remodeled. The other rooms look like motel...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank ShellsLoving

Dear Guest,

Thank you for review posted regarding your visit at Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa and Casino.
We value your extensive feedback on the Trip Advisor. Your feedback will be intensively reviewed with all the departments concerned.

Our aim is to achieve the best results for all our guest that visit our resort. We are very confident that with your comments will have some clear indication into where we have to place more attention in order to improve our results.
We wish we had the opportunity to contact you while you were staying with us. We are certain that with some correction we could have changed your stay and maybe even make transform it into a positive one.

Once again, thank you very much.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

It's best bars its restaurants are the maximum, and actually Chris and holidays, and should invite my friends to try, aver if they would pay me very successful stadia ......... I recommend it ......!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Mijjail

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino. Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely comments about your recent vacation and for all your compliments. It is so rewarding to learn you fully enjoyed our hotel.

We would love to welcome you back home in the future, so you can have the whole experience again.

Yours Sincerely,

Jose Corletto

Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Papagayo Beach Resort
#11 of 32 in Willemstad
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!