“worry free vacation”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Clarksville, Tennessee
“worry free vacation”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The Sunscape resort was a fabulous place to stay. The working staff is great and does their best to accommodate your needs. The managing staff is a different story. They are nice, they just don't always understand what you need to happen. You will never have to leave the resort for anything. I would recommend this resort to anyone. The island folks are great as well.Milagros is the best hostess and great in the world cafe and Raymond is the best bell hop on the island; even if he won't sell his hat!!

Room Tip: stay in the 8000 building away from all the main activities and request a 2nd or 3rd floor room so y...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Angie M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,383)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is a very good resort stay on the amazing island of Curacao. This resort is not fancy but it has very good food clean rooms a solid beach and dive area, and its reasonable in price.

Located on the edge of the Punda side of the main city of Willemstad its a bit out of the way but still a short hop to all the action. Don't go to Curacao and plan to stay on the resort, this island is not set up that way, you come here to explore, select the European plan and go out to explore and dine in the local places as well, the food is great and perfectly safe for the North American or European traveler.

Room Tip: Go for the low rise units at the end not the tower, it gets noisy by the pool at night
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ronfischer
Yorkville, Illinois
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Super friendly staff. Felt like we were all life long friends. Rooms were very roomy and clean, Nice bathroom with walk-in glass shower, A/C worked wonderfully, beds were like new and really comfortable, large balcony with table and chairs for 4 overlooking pool and beach. What a Beautiful view we had. We were in room 2407 although it was on 4th floor. Rooms were very quiet after 10:30 nightly activities. Our room overlooked the area where they did there nightly activities. Drinks were very good, food was plentiful and good also. Our favorite resteruants were the Itialian and the seafood restaraunt on the beach, although the world cafe buffet was always good too. Food is not gourmet, but I would rate it a 4 out 5. Special Thanks to Chuchoo the activities director for making us feel so welcome, we had a lot of fun with you. Don't remember the 2 girls names from world cafe that greeted us every morning and afternoon, although they always new us by first name. The one girl was the mananger for that restaruant, Thanks for always taking such great care of us and making us feel welcome aand at home. The SPA massages were WONDERFUL!!! My husband and I each had 2 - 80 minute massages and I really think they were the best that we had ever had. The beach is very beautiful and private, nice enclosed area with break wall for swimmers and snorkelers to enjoy queit waters. For those Divers, what a perfect spot to stay. Ocean Encounters Diving is right on site and there dive masters are wonderful. We had Ingrid as a dive master and Captain Andres 5 out of the 6 days of diving we did. Thank You both for all the GREAT DIVES!!! We really enjoyed our stay here, we are used to staying in 4.5 to 5 star hotels that are Adults only, so I would say that I would rate this as a 4 to 4.5 . Adults only would of been nicer, but if that is the only complaint, than I say we are lucky. Will be going back there the next time we stay in Curacao for sure.

Room Tip: We were on 4th floor - RM# 2407. We loved the view and room was very quiet after 10:30 pm outdoor a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Laurel H
Hsvertown
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Well,the first room they had us booked in was worse than a 49 dollar a night econolodge. My wife spotted several pubic hairs on the stool in the bathroom. They said they would send someone to check it out. This was unacceptable, we demanded a better room for our 1700.00 per person fee. A different front desk person gave us a better room. Come to find out the first person who was reluctant to change r room turned out to b the manager. A little unprofessional. I feel bad for the people who accept these rooms. We have been to several sunscapes so we were confident this one would b as great. We were wrong. This hotel needs lots of work. They need more groundskeepers. I don't want to see trash in amongst the shrubs & landscaping in a vacation resort. The buffet was small compared to other sunscapes. Food was average at best. I'm not saying we had a horrible time. We didn't, as we always make the best of what we have. But if your like us and save all year for your wk of paradise, you may be disappointed. But, the ocean was beautiful and the pools ok. This whole resort needs work and upgrades. There gonna have to put some money into it to make it competitive with other resorts of the same price. You can tell it's well worn.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Lilank2
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Took me a while to get to writing this, as I have yet to accept that this vacation is truly over, and I wanted to write as much as I can to help anyone considering this resort...

Let me start off by saying that I am a seasoned traveler and chose Sunscape Curacao over some other options in Mexico for a vacation with my other half. Before booking our trip to Curacao, I did thorough research on this resort as well as some others, and let me tell you, based on some of the other reviews, I was a tad nervous make this one our final decision. Seems like a lot of people were complaining about the long lines at restaurants and the food being bad...I will need to address this in my review, as I STRONGLY disagree...on both fronts. Also, let me also mention, that I booked through Apple Vacations, which was cheaper and also was the reason for a few other nice bonuses throughout our trip.

We arrived in Willemstad, very quick baggage claim, and stepped outside to look for a taxi, when we were pleasantly surprised to see a representative from Apple Vacations with a sign that said "Sunscape". We were ready to pay for a taxi (I heard it was about $50 to the resort), however, the rep said that a car is here for us, and when I say car, I mean a private black car service just for me and my babe. I will say, that if you are on a flight with other people that booked through Apple Vacations, then you may have to share a shuttle/van, but it is COMPLETELY included in the Apple package. The drive to the resort is about 20 minutes and the views are a bit shabby. You will see local way of life, and if you are coming from the US, you will notice how much more run down the neighborhoods are and piles of materials/garbage, followed by strips of homes (a lot of unfinished structures), but let me tell you, that when you step out of the car, into Sunscape, you are in a completely different world. We waited at the lobby (indoor/outdoor lobby), and actually, the front desk lady skipped over us and helped the person behind us first, but another lady behind the desk noticed her mistake and told her something in Papamiento (their local language which is a combination of Dutch and Spanish). Immediately, the lady apologized and took our paperwork, and as soon as she saw it, she said that we were actually part of the Preferred Club. We were directed to an indoor lobby, and within seconds, we were seated with champagne and fruit, and within minutes, ready to go to our room! The Preferred Club provides free wifi in the lobby area (otherwise you have to pay $40 per device and still only available in the lobby), also access to a private beach and pool. On our way to the room, we saw two of the entertainment staff setting up speakers and sumo wrestling equipment....one of the young men immediately dropped what he was doing to ask us where we were going, we mentioned "Royal Tower", and before you knew it he was leading the way! We had decided to lug our luggage instead of give to bellman, so this young man, who is better known as CHUCHOO (love him!) took us up, grabbing our suitcase first, and on the way explained that the entertainment team has a lot going on for the week and he gave us the rundown! He also said that the restaurants don't really take reservations, but to let him know if we needed any help figuring out what to eat and what time to be there by. He said ANY thing we needed, to find any other staff there with a walkie talkie and to ask for Chuchoo and he would be our best friend for the week. He wouldn't even take a tip from us for walking us to our room and taking our suitcase. Room was beautiful, floor to ceiling windows on the entire one side of the room, with spacious balcony and beautiful ocean views (we did have to pay for this upgrade). New floors, new furniture, CLEAN, balcony was clean and we had a great view of the Mambo beach side (Note: does get a little noisy on certain nights that Mambo beach has nighclub going- I think they said Sunday nights and Tuesdays were the loudest; this did not bother us at all, and I am sure other rooms NOT on Mambo Beach side do not have as much noise).

The Netherlands World Cup game was on when we went back down from the room and the place was POPPING with orange shirts and fans watching the game. We watched the game at the Rendezvous bar, which was right past the lobby near a cafe (just coffees and some sweets offered...ALL FOOD AND DRINK IS ALL INCLUSIVE!)

Bars: Rendezvous (in the lobby)- where we watched the game, TV is small though, but the vibe was great!
Pool bar (in pool with seats/tables)
Main bar (right behind pool bar, most centrally located, one we used the most)
Bar in the Desires night club (indoor, AC worked most of the time except 1 day, has large screen TV, which we watched semi final World Cup game on)
Oceana Bar
Bluewater grill has a small bar
Preferred Club- bar near Preferred pool

Needless to say, after the champagne from check-in, the drinks at the World Cup game, we were sloshed before dinner, and appetite was rising! We went to Da Mario, the Italian restaurant.

Restaurants:
Da Mario (Italian-indoor or outdoor seating-near pool area) - not our favorite place in comparison to the others, yet good food and if you think portions are small, order 2 appetizers! Ate dinner here 2x

World Cafe (outdoor seating- near casino and main lobby-good for breakfast, this is the BUFFET- omelet stations for breakfast and pasta stations for lunch are good (freshly made in front of you), but would not recommend this for dinner- never ate there for dinner but the other restaurants are amazing and way worth going to those than a buffet)- Ate here a few times for breakfast before we discovered room service (not sure if this is only a Preferred thing honestly), 2 times for lunch before we discovered Bluewater Grill's burgers and dogs

Himitsu (near pool area- sushi and hibachi restaurant) by far our favorite! Sherman puts on an amazing show and save room in your stomach for the last thing he makes you...the GROUPER FISH...melts in your mouth!!! Ate dinner here 3x!

Bluewater (right on the beach- recommend for lunch instead of World Cafe- quick burgers, hot dogs, fries, small bar in here as well; Also turns into a steakhouse for dinner- get the chimichurri skirt steak, Beautiful ambiance for dinner and great parmesan salad as well) - Ate lunch here often (quick and easy), and dinner 1x

Oceana (seafood restaurant, feet in sand as you eat on the beach) very romantic, amazing seafood, mahi mahi is good, salmon salad for appetizer, new england clam chowder is nice .... I heard all of the soups on campus are amazing! - Ate dinner here 1x, and damn was it good....

Not sure why people hating on the food...first of all this is all inclusive, and you have steak options, hibachi options where you have sushi made right in front of you, and meat and lo mein cooked right in front of you....Oceana's fish was super fresh and delicious..everyone we met there raved about the food and how for an all-inclusive, was better than anything they had experienced...this was my first all-inclusive even though i travel often, so to keep in perspective, I asked around and definitely no bad opinions on the food from anyone!

Also, we love casinos, Vegas and Atlantic City, and even the ones in Aruba are quite nice, however......I would not recommend you spending much or any time in their casino. "Princess Casino" has about 5-6 tables- just Roulette and Blackjack - plus a lot of slots. You have to pay for food and drink in the casino as it is open to the public, so you will actually find locals here more than vacationers, which is nice to see, however, we got a bit of a shady feel in there. Some people we met at the pool had told us they won money there and then lost it again, so I guess it may not be rigged since people can win! But still, with everything else going on there, the casino was not on our mind one bit!

We spent our afternoons at the beach, I would recommend water shoes for the rockier beach areas, where you can snorkel and see fish! Bring snorkel gear or borrow from resort (I think they give you an hour free). Use the kayaks for free and just relax, lay on the comfy beds (cabana beds for Preferreds), play a game of pool volleyball, join a bingo tournament, attend the liquor tasting events, eat and drink as much as you want, mingle with others, get involved with the nightly activities and this place is A BLAST! If you are a diver, this place will be a heaven for you as there are morning and afternoon dive cruises from the resort. The morning cruise does 2 dives but leaves at 8am. The afternoon one is around 12:30-1pm. Not a diver myself, but we met people that were.

Another reason this vacation was amazing was the people we met there! We met 2 couples on their honeymoons as well as friends travelling together, a family with a teenager, and 2 couples that left their kids behind for some fun adult time! I will say this...seems the resort was a bit empty the week we were there...the staff even mentioned it, and on our last day, a lot of new faces appeared, so I think another reason we thoroughly enjoyed every second of our vacation was because of the feeling that we were top priority since there weren't TOO TOO many other people around. There were still a lot of people, but definitely could feel the difference on our last day when more people arrived.

Speaking of crowds...let's talk about getting into dinner. Every restaurant opens around 6:30pm or 7pm for dinner, and each restaurant is closed once a week or so (except World Cafe I believe). Other than World Cafe (you can get into this, lots of seating, buffet style) if you get to the restaurant at the time it opens, you can usually get a seat right away if you planned it out and are standing at the podium a few minutes before their opening time. A few times we did this, but other times we didn't want to eat that early, so we would stay in beach/pool/bar until the opening time, then get to the podium right before opening, and then put in a reservation for another seating time. Each restaurant staggers their seating times, so you can essentially make the reservation, go up to shower, you will have one of those vibrating thingies that tell you when your table is ready, and boom you are fine dining!

Eat well, because if you are partying until 2-3am, you may be hungry and nothing is available at this time. Or hoard yogurts from the buffet from breakfast....we didn't do this, however, would have been a good idea. There is a mini fridge loaded with drinks - 2 beers, sodas, water, and you can squeeze some fruit or yogurt in there if you needed to.

I am saving the best for last...the entertainment and wait staff at Curacao is unlike anything I have EVER experienced before. As mentioned, I am a seasoned traveler, standards are quite high, but NOTHING can beat the personal touch these guys and ladies bring to the table. I am definitely going to start my shout outs now...I am serious about this, they are great. So for wait staff, at the World Cafe, this sweet lady, Daynalisa was our hostess the first morning we were there, and upon checking off our room number when entering, she recited our names, asking for clarification on how to pronounce (we both have unique names). I am telling you, I have friends, coworkers, that can't even pronounce my name correctly. Daynalisa, not only did she pronounce it perfectly the first day, EVERY DAY THEREAFTER, in passing WITHOUT HER NOTEs or name list, would say oh hi "*my name perfectly said*", hi "*my love's name perfectly said". Incredible....Up until the last day, Daynalisa was calling us by name, but not only this, she was so nice, so personable, felt like she really cared about us having a good day. Sherman from the Himitsu was an incredible chef, had him all 3 times we ate at this restaurant. He is funny, will make jokes as he is cooking, and make sure you applause for him! Onto entertainment staff....

Chuchoo was our number one go-to guy...for the night we wanted to dine at Oceana, we asked Chuchoo how to guarantee we can go there, since it was getting down to the end of our trip and didn't want to leave without going there. He said, be there at 6:20pm and leave the rest to me. We arrived on time, were seated in the closest seat to the water, our table being the only one dressed with fresh flowers, and just felt like we were part of some VIP club. I read people's reviews that the entertainment staff favors certain guests, HOWEVER, their treatment is not preferential, as I saw him take care of many others in such a way. Chuchoo and his crew will take the time to talk to you, listen to you, and just hang out with you when he isn't busy running around. And this guy is there ALL THE TIME! does he ever have time off?! WE APPRECIATE EVERYTHING YOU DID FOR US CHUCHOO!

O'Bryan, Zeric, Roshan, Prince T, Chriss, Leo di Lion, Johnny Rockets, all took care of us and were so fun all around. We hung out in the Desires club (night club at 11pm-2am), did Karaoke with these guys. Also, we did the nightly activities with them...Saturday- carnival parade where talented entertainers dress up in fancy costumes and dance- dance with them!, Sunday- Love and Marriage- like the newlyweds game, Monday- Cultural dance show, Tuesday-Game Show night (trivia), Wednesday- Battle of the sexes game night, Thursday- Fire show and Beach party (Chuchoo, Johnny Rockets, and Roshan were spinning fire and doing crazy tricks, not going to ruin it for you), Friday- Dance competition

I know this post is extremely long, but this place was a paradise to me for a week, and I had to put some of those negative reviews in line. I would say, that certain bars ran out of vodka or other popular booze, however this was usually at midnight after our crew (that we met there!) consumed it all. Our only recommendation is that they have ample back up liquor, and my suggestion to you travelers is to order DOUBLE shots if you like a strong drink, because the drinks are a bit weak unless you do so. Up to you of course! Just a suggestion as I see others complain about how weak the drinks were...ITS ALL INCLUSIVE, get another shot!

Take the dive and go with Sunscape on your next vacation! Love the incredible sand and water (you can see the fish when you go in, bring bread from the buffet, and they will swarm around you!) Bring an underwater camera, water shoes, take a visit to downtown (shuttle from Sunscape, or public bus), do the ATV rides (bring clothes and shoes you don't care about as you will get dirty and sweaty), go to the Aquarium (15 min walk or 5 min taxi), and ENJOY YOURSELF! Hope this helped and travel safe!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank LiaDiCat
La Romana Province, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I visited the hotel several times and the truth that increasingly more improvement. conditions in which this and the good service they provide is excellent, the comfort of the rooms and service rooms genial.Ademas services are also well organized the bars and restaurants. Very good stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Pensando A
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Definitely the best hotel I have visited in these bacaciones! .. Amazing and superb care and cleaning that counts. beautiful areas and very comfortable rooms and service rooms restaurantes.Tambien services is good. remain so. excellent hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dario David d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!