“Terribly disappointed”

Apple Leisure Group
7 Campus Boulevard
Newtown, Square, PA 19073

Dear Mr. Zozaya-Gorostiza,

I am writing this letter to inform you of several negative incidents that my husband and I experienced during our stay at one of your resorts, the Sunscape Curacao.

I booked a honeymoon-vacation at the Sunscape Curacao Resort via Apple Vacations on March 21st. I called and upgraded to receive the “Sweet escape free honeymoon package”. When I spoke to the Apple travel representative, I advised that we would NOT prefer to have our honeymoon junior oceanfront suite face the rock-climbing wall. When we arrive on Monday, August 4th, Viela, the preferred club representative assigned us to room 2302 which is the room that faces the rock climbing wall and club/lounge. We both requested from Isis to please find us another room that would provide the oceanfront view that we reserved and a peaceful environment. Isis was wonderful and she reassigned us to room 8322 located in the Flamingo wing the next day. First, we did not receive the fresh flowers, fruit and sparkling wine upon arrival on neither room that we were assigned. I requested and arranged via the preferred club a romantic breakfast in bed to be delivered at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, August 8th, only to receive a phone call from a staff member on that Friday at 10:00 a.m. informing us that there was a miscommunication and if we would like to reschedule the breakfast to another date which we refused. There were several bar-staff members that were not friendly and made us feel as if we were inconveniencing them in requesting drinks. We never received the romantic turndown service with petit fours during our stay. The worst incident is after spending the day snorkeling, my husband decides to go back to our room only to find that our room keys were deactivated. We were checked-out in error on Sunday, August 10th rather than the scheduled check-out date of Monday, August 11th when we were scheduled to depart to New York. Lastly to get a bottle of champagne in an ice bucket without ice and a fruit plate on our last day instead of the first day when we arrived is a little insulting.

I have to say that there were several staff members in the resort that were wonderful and provided excellent and hospitable service and made us feel welcomed. Rolando who works at Oceana arranged and provided us with first-rate service during the private beachfront dinner, this young man has a wonderful future, he is intelligent and ambitious and his service was impeccable. Then there are the bartenders like Jonathan from the Rendezvous bar; Amanda and Rodangelo that always gave us service with a smile. On a lighter side, the new cocktail that the bartender, Chin, created named, “crazy spicy mango” should be added to the drink menu. The wait-staff such as Ana and Milagros from the World Café, Verona and Alex from the Blue Water Grill that were always amiable and ensured that we were well taken care of while dining at their respective restaurants. Isis is absolutely delightful; she was terrific in arranging our room at the Flamingo wing. Jose from Concierge and Sherman, from pool maintenance were terrific. My husband and I loved the positive and upbeat attitude that Prince-T exuded, he was an absolute joy and your company should utilize him to train (re-train) the current staff members that do not exude his positive attitude towards guests that are staying at this resort. Nelly and Xiomara were terrific and provided wonderful complimentary massages which provided some relief from the stress that these incidents caused us during our honeymoon vacation.

My husband and I work very hard to save money for our honeymoon vacation. We both wanted this honeymoon vacation to be special and we are extremely disappointed that your company mislead us and did not provide the services that we were promised to receive on our trip. We were extremely disappointed with some of the staff members that were not friendly. We were disappointed with some of the services that we expected and did not receive such as top-shelf beverages (i.e. Smirnoff is not top shelf vodka). Your resort offers Smirnoff, Hennessey and Dewar’s at one bar and this is the extent of your top shelf beverage to the guests; this is unacceptable. We were promised the offer of a complimentary breakfast in bed which was never delivered. I selected this resort because I was looking forward to enjoying the pool bar, however, Manatees, the swim-up/pool bar was not staffed. What a shame that in this resort, the pool bar, such an important social place was not provided the service to accommodate the guests. We were disappointed in having to wait one hour or more to be served dinner in the restaurants.

We want to emphasize that it seems to us that this resort is under-staffed and cannot provide the services that you are guaranteeing to your guests. Especially in your restaurants since there are wait times of one hour or more to be seated and including up to a 45-minute wait to be served dinner. Your company needs to fulfill the services that are being promised to guests in order for this resort to attract former guests and possibly recommendations for new business. In the travel hospitality industry Guests/Clients should be rated as a top priority. In order for a travel business to succeed it should rank their guests as their main priority and their employees as their second priority and in the long run the company will gain profits by focusing on their clients concerns. All of these negative incidents were not big in the scheme of life, but in a seven-day honeymoon vacation it made a big difference. After experiencing these negative incidents and your company not providing the guaranteed services that we were promised to receive during our stay at the Sunscape Curacao resort, we do not plan to return nor recommend this resort to our family or friends.

Mr. and Mrs. Alberto P. Sosa, Jr.

cc: Mr. Jeff Mullen, President, Apple Vacations
Mr. Gonzalo del Peón Suárez, President, AM Resorts

P.S. The concept and beauty of your resort are present, however, without the service and fulfilling your obligation to your guests then the concept/beauty of your resort means nothing!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank maribel316
Awendel K, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Sosa,

Thank you for your review concerning your accommodation and experience at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino.

We are very grateful to receive your feedback, your comments provide us a clear indication where we need to concentrate our efforts to improve our resort.
We sincerely regret that we were not able to meet your overall expectation.

As a service oriented company, we always make a considerate effort to meet and surpass our guest’s expectations and for that reason your comments and feedback are taken very seriously in order to offer all of our clients a remarkable experience.

Mr. & Mrs. Sosa we apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your honeymoon, this is a very special time in peoples lives, we apologize for not contributing to making it a special one, we would like you to give us an extra opportunity to redeem ourselves and we would like to invite you back as our guest, this time in my personal care making sure everything goes perfect.

We are happy to read that Isis was very accurate and arranged to change your room the next day.
We are also very pleased to take notice that you mentioned some of the staff members that exceeded in their service and attitude. I will make sure that they will receive this excellent feedback.

Nevertheless all of your comments have been discussed with the corresponding departments and the corrective measures and actions have been put into place.

Again we sincerely regret that we were not able to provide you with your dream Honeymoon, should you consider giving us another opportunity feel free to contact us.

Jose Corletto

Write a ReviewReviews (4,987)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This All-inclusive resort was truly wonderful. The place is heavenly, the people (staff) were so warm, friendly & accommodating. They catered to your every need. The kids club was just what some kids needed & the attention they received was second to none. This was the best vacation we've had as a family in a long while. Planning a return trip.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank radhaw
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest greetings from Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino. We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for making us part of such a special trip and for sharing your positive experience with others through this forum.

We are extremely happy to read that we were able to fulfill your expectations and that our staff’s friendliness and hospitality, was able to contribute to how good your vacation was.
It was a pleasure to have vacationed with you. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I'd like to preface my review with the fact that I have written more than 25 reviews on Trip Advisor, and have experienced many all-inclusive resorts all over the Caribbean. My breadth of travel experience ranges from 5 star exclusive resorts (i.e. Couples in Jamaica) to lower rated resorts in Cuba. My husband and I are generally easy to please, however we do have certain expectations and therefore you will receive an unbiased review of Sunscape.

Following the reviews related to Sunscape prior to our trip I found myself worrying about the quality of the food, the service, the rooms, etc. With that said, we went with lowered expectations so not to be disappointed. I can say that we were pleasantly surprised upon arrival and I will expand on all areas in my review below.

Resort: Curacao is not lush like many other Caribbean islands, however Sunscape has beautiful landscaping with lovely gardens, palm trees and the like. The gardening staff worked tirelessly keeping things looking beautiful and tidy. We found the property to be very tropical and enjoyed walking along the paths throughout the property. Many people have complained that it is such a long walk to the restaurants, etc. if you are in the Pelican or Flamingo building. I'm guessing that these folks are lazy because although the property is somewhat expansive, it is by no means huge. With all the extra drinking and eating the few extra steps are welcomed. We were there to SCUBA dive and we stayed in the Pelican building which is at the opposite side of the property; it was no big deal to walk, it honestly took less than 3 minutes. The lobby area has been nicely renovated and is very classy. I can't think of the name of the little coffee place in the lobby; however we frequented it several times a day for a cappuccino. I miss it already. The lobby bar, which is supposed to carry the higher end alcohols, is small and often runs out of things, however we rarely ran into any issues.

Food:

World Cafe (Buffet): The buffet restaurant, which has received several negative reviews on Trip Advisor, was actually one of our favourite places to eat. We aren't afraid to try different things so perhaps the people that have complained about the food are basic meat a potato types and not willing to expand their culinary horizons. We enjoyed the different dishes of curried chicken and beef. There were always at least 3 perfectly prepared vegetable dishes, always fish, chicken, pork and beef, and an expansive salad bar. There were soups, and pizza and the typical fries and hamburgers. Breakfast you would find scrambled eggs, omelets made to order, bacon, sausages, ham, oatmeal, croissants, fruit, yogurt, the list goes on. What I can say is of the 10 days we were there, only the last 3 or so days was the service beefed up in the buffet. I'm referring to the staff that offers you something to drink and clear your plates, etc. Initially we would have to either serve ourselves or hunt someone down. By about day 6 there seemed to be a greater management presence and suddenly we were receiving much better service. I'm not saying that all of the staff were inattentive because there were about 3 lovely staff members that were excellent (Yaneth, Marshall and Maryjuste...spelling?).

Bluewater Grill: Here you can get fries, hot dogs, and hamburgers throughout the day. Norma was the chef here and she was lovely. At night this restaurant became the steak house. We ate there twice. The food was good, however both times we arrived at 6:30 p.m. and were still there after 8:30 as the service was quite slow. It didn't bother us as we made an evening of it; however I think if they prepared and served the food a little faster, more people would be able to eat at this restaurant opening up tables a little faster.

Himitsu (Japanese): Honestly, we didn't find this meal too special. It was just okay. We had to line up 45 minutes before it opened just to get in. I honestly found this system ridiculous. Who wants to spend precious vacation hours lining up for a restaurant? Sunscape could really fix this problem by having a restaurant reservation coordinator. People should be able to sign up for the a la cartes in advance so there is no lining up and being disappointed (which happened 2 times at this restaurant for us until we finally got in).

Oceana (Seafood): We ate here twice and thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The service was excellent, the staff wonderful and the food delicious. Although we lined up to get in, we only arrived about 15 minutes before it opened and enjoyed a cocktail while waiting.

Rooms: We were in the Pelican building, room 7222 (Beachfront). The view was spectacular and we spent countless hours sitting on our terrace enjoying the breathtaking view. The room itself was spacious with a king sized bed, couch and small table, large dresser, two night tables, large closet and decent sized bathroom with shower only. This is the first resort we've been to with so much storage space. There was a mini fridge that was filled sometimes!!! It certainly wasn't consistently filled. The flat screen t.v. was great with many channels to choose from. Although this was a renovated room, I think a fresh coat of paint would do wonders, and oddly the floor tiles looked original and a little dated. The bed was not very comfortable and squeaked like crazy. I actually had bruised hips from the firm mattress. We had issues with the toilet constantly running and the sink wouldn't drain however after a phone call to the front desk maintenance came and sorted out the sink and toilet and must have done something with the bed although it still was somewhat squeaky, but not as bad. The housekeeping staff did a wonderful job. Initially they weren't cleaning our room until late afternoon, but after a nice tip and request to have our room done first thing it was never issue for the remainder of our stay.

Beach/Ocean: We read reviews about the rocky entry to the ocean so we came prepared with water shoes. The beach was beautiful with plenty of chairs. The snorkeling was excellent as was the shore diving. We really enjoyed our beach time.

All in all I would say that the Sunscape is a solid 3.9 star. I think there is room for improvement, and I hope that each time the manager who reads these reviews and says that he passes along the information to the various departments to improve things, actually makes a difference. If the few things I've mentioned would be fixed, I wouldn't hesitate to give the Sunscape a 4.5, but until the service is improved, restaurant bookings changed to a reservation system, and the bars given adequate supplies so they aren't running out of beer, etc. there will continue to be complaints from guests about these things.

I wouldn't hesitate to return here one day as we had a wonderful vacation. Our overall experience was very good and the few issues we encountered didn't ruin things for us at all.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
29  Thank WhitbyScubaGirl
Reviewed 18 August 2014

First off, our flight got cancelled out of Chicago, Illinois, which caused us to lose our first night. Not your fault, but it caused our vacation to be more expensive per night and the manager at the preferred club lounge said I'd have to pay full price to stay another night. This was a huge opportunity for your resort to step up and offer us SOMETHING for the all inclusive night we lost.

When we arrived in Curacao, we were supposed to have a shuttle at no cost. There was 23 of us flying in together and we just stood outside the airport for over an hour with no way of knowing how to get to the resort. That is simply not acceptable!

The only decent thing in our whole trip was the check in process, which for 20+ people at once went very smoothly. But from that point on, my wife and I were dealt disappointment after disappointment. First night we got up to our room to notice there was NOTHING in the mini bar. We had no duvet on the bed, no wash rags, no hand towels. It was ridiculous. There was no worse way to say "welcome to Curacao." Oh and by the way, we were in an 'upgraded' room, 8222, an ocean front. The other members of our party were in the royal tower in standard rooms and they had MUCH nice beds, kitchenettes, and decent service.

Throughout our stay, we only got our mini bar stocked ONCE. Other members of our group had stuff (especially water) left daily, whether or not they used any the day before. And to get it stocked that one time, I had to call 3 times and go to the front desk 3 times within 12 hours to get anything brought to my room. Sadly enough, it was 1:30am before the guy came with some water! How is this acceptable?? We paid a LOT of money to make this trip and not ONCE did we feel it was worth it. It felt like nobody at the resort wanted us to be back. Nothing mattered, nobody cared. The service at restaurants was horrible, the bars were slow, the swim up bar wasn't open ALL WEEK, there was very few free activities and the one I was hoping to try (wind surfing) was no longer available. The only decent thing your resort offers is a decent entertainment team.

Overall, we were obviously not pleased. We will not be back, we will not recommend you to our friends and family. We vacation twice per year and this by far has been the biggest waste of money.

Please improve your resort for other customers or lower your prices to reflect what it's worth!

Room Tip: royal tower has best rooms, even though I paid a premium to get an ocean front in another building t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Kenneth L
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We are very grateful to receive your feedback as this will provide us clear indication into where to work. We are very disappointed that we were not able to meet your overall expectation.

As a service oriented company, we always make efforts to meet and succeed our guest’s expectations and for that reason your comments and feedback are taken very seriously in order to offer all our clients a remarkable experience and high quality service as you all deserve.

We are sure that if you would have reached out to one member of our management staff, we would have done anything in our reach to change your perspective.

Nevertheless your comments have been forwarded to the corresponding department in order for corrective measures and actions to be taken.

Should you consider giving us another opportunity in the future please feel free to contact us.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My friend and I got back last night from a week vacation in Curacao. We had a really wonderful and memorable vacation. Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino are very nice; the staff was friendly and accommodating. I have to say a special thank you to Raymond, Christine, Mirellyn, Ana, Rampattie, Ella and Jean Daniels who made our stay enjoyable. The resort has all the conveniences and amenities needed on a vacation. I was very surprised to discover that there was a nurse on staff when I got a sore throat and needed some medication. The food was very tasty and we had a variety to choose from. There are other islands that I plan to visit but Curacao is definitely on my agenda again. If you are planning a trip to Curacao, let Sunscape Curacao Resort and Spa be your temporary home away from home. Loved it!!

Room Tip: There is paid wifi in the lobby area. Our room was on the third floor and it wasn't considered...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Margaret T

Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest of greetings from Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino.
We just love it when we are able to make our guests happy and when they leave completely satisfied. Thank you for vacationing with us and for your encouraging and flattering comments towards our staff. It is very important to us that our guests feel special and right at home; we are happy we were able to achieve this with you.

We hope to have the chance of being able to pamper you and make your next experience an even more special one. See you soon!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We traveled 8/2-8/9/14 on a trip booked through Cheap Caribbean.Everything travel wise was exactly as expected. Minus slight lightening delay in Miami. Check in was easy and the room as requested except third floor. Couldn't just walk out beach but had a nice balconey with ocean view. No ventilation in bathroom so the room steams up quick in shower. Counter looked like it needed an update but the room was kept very clean by Christine daily and knew our names. We did ask for washclothes to be left in our room. The frig most days was filled with two sodas, two waters and two Polar beers. The Polar beer was great. Finding a stocked bar was difficult. No ice machine around, had to go to a bar to get ice. With frig in room not really a big deal for us, may be for someone else on 3rd floor. We were in room 7306, the gem of the resort was behind us. A little bar by the beach with the most welcoming face we had yet to see, Norma. If you have been there you have been called Baby Love. And she had fun music for us to listen to. She was the spark we had missed at the other parts on resort. Friendly, talented and knowledgeable bartender and the most gracious hostess this resort has. The others could make drink but don't expect to cozy round a bar for afternoon conversation, it doesn't look like they believe in bar stools here. Most bartenders didn't have much say except point a finger and say next. Not bad but not enjoyable. Food was okay. Hard to find, most bars had nothing even with grills set up. We ate burgers at the grill one afternoon and it was okay. The buffet is where we ate every day. The buffett food I thought was good and no waiting. New options to try daily.Love the fried plantains and yucca. Staff was not always as fast at refreshing but they were kind and tried to please. The wait staff were all gracious and polite. It was sometimes extremely had to get a glass of water or cup of coffee. Seemed more of an organizational issue than a people issue. I was a little put off by the WiFi charge at $40 on one device and can only use in the lobby. That was not made clear in promotional materials we had read. Also free snorkle equipment for one hour or you have you pay. That doesn't give you time to get and use before you have to turn it back in. Most all inclusive have free nonmotorized watersports. It was cheaper to take the shuttle into town and buy my own gear. Nellie was the star in the Spa and will make your skin feel great after all the fun in the sun.The cashier part was messed up some and I was offered a free massage afterwards but that call never came. Even the bar or pool side music was not festive, seems like managment wanted to keep the excitement level low. Entertainment did seem to get better as the week went on. The last three nights the local musicians that played all started out very low energy like the rest but progressed to fun and vacationers were actually getting up to dance and laugh. Kudos to the entertainment team because I do not think they were given an easy task. We did book a half day catamaran snorkel trip, which included transportation, bbq lunch ( delicious, ask for peanutbutter bread dip) and an open bar. The crew was wonderful and gave each one of us a special trip. Two dive stops one out by the sunken tug. Ask the travel agents in front lobby to help you book,very affordable pricing. They provide snorkle equipment also. All in all I would return for the island, the beach, a clean room and to visit my new friends Norma, Nellie and Christine. And keep an ear out for Annamaria setting up tables, she sings and makes the day brighter for all. Norma please keep that gin drink you made ready for me.

• Stayed: August 2014
9  Thank 6pacpippy
Jose C, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your objective comment about your experience in our resort.

Your comments regarding have been forwarded to the corresponding personnel and they are in revision, in order to perform the necessary changes and provide the guests with the service they deserve.

Thank you for your feedback , and we are glad to hear that in overall you enjoyed your stay with us, we certainly hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We had a nice week stay here
Staff is very friendly, four restaurants to choose your dinner from
Sometimes you have to wait a bit before being seated, except for the buffett at the world restaurant
Rooms are clean and we had a nice view over the ocean
Internet is only in the lobby for 40$ / week and device
First I thought this was gonna be a negative point, but after a day or two it was nice not to have all these e-mails coming in.
There is plenty of wifi on the public beach next to the hotel
Tip: try the free snorkel from the watersport center and go to the rocks opposite the beach: you' ll find a wonderfull seaworld with colorful fishes
To Willemstad you can take the free shuttle or a bus or a taxi for 20$

Room Tip: Ocean view room recommended
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Flowersun01

Dear Guest,

Thank you for informing us of your recent stay.

It was a pleasure to host you at Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino and we really appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience. Thank you for choosing as your vacation destination.

We are glad to hear your overall experience was a great one, and you enjoyed every aspect of the resort, specially the staff that always strive to deliver exceptional service.

We look forward to having you back soon.

Should there be anything else we could assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Always at your service,