“Dirty!”
Review of E M City Hotel

E M City Hotel
Ranked #30 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I can't believe this hotel is allowed in the HoJo chain of hotels? It was filthy, dirty and nasty! Rooms all smelled smokey or musty! I've been in HoJo's many times but this one is at the bottom of the barrel, old hair in the rooms and the rugs are not vacuumed. The only good thing about this hotel is the location of where it is.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank mrgeemoney

Reviewed 17 October 2010

As previously mentioned in other reviews, don't expect too much in the area of service, but expect to be close to the action. Yes you have to go back outside after check-in to get to your room, but this also means you have a private entrance, without having to walk past security/front desk to get back to your room. My king bed was really two double beds pushed together, with two seperate comforters...

Upon arrival around 8pm, I asked if the hotel had wifi, was told by the front desk person, no. She mentioned that if I went outside, I might be able to find wifi. There was a HOJO 2.4 wireless connection available in the lobby, but I couldn't connect to it...not sure what the problem was. On my last day, I noticed that there seemed to be ethernet jacks in the room...not sure if they worked or the price. There is free wireless available around downtown though...most convenient for me was Iguana Cafe, across the pedestrian bridge...it is a private network and the password is simon1003 they will give you the password if you dine there.

Also on the first night, I called the front desk to inquire about an iron...was told I could have one 'tomorrow'...I explained I didn't need one 'tomorrow', the young lady said 'she would look around for one'...never received it.

There are several American type and local restaurants within walking distance...most everything is within walking distance. Taxis are super expensive, getting a rental car is highly recommended. There is an Avis rent a car in the lobby...you don't have to pay airport taxes and they will have the car delivered from the airport. Reserve your car on the internet first. When I inquired about a rental car at the avis desk in the lobby, the lady called on the phone, I'm guessing to the airport, said something to the person on the other end, in another language, about an American needing a rental car, then she said all they had was the two highest level rentals available...it was going to be $60 a day....then I told her I had a reservation for $32 a day....She then miraculously found the car I was going to get...for $32.

The casino downstairs was mostly slot machines...nothing too amazing.

Overall, this hotel is in a great location. Just don't expect much in the way of amenities...If you want amenities, there are many hotels that will deliver, albeit at a higher price. ;-)

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank daddymacmoney
Reviewed 10 October 2010

During my visits to Curacao, I have stayed and lived in three different rooms at this property.

I will list the good, the bad, and only the facts.

Room 401 and 402 are not good rooms. From the 3rd floor, you have to climb 16 steps straight up and then a hard left or right to get to the landing of your room. There are no bell men to carry your luggage. Not an easy climb and a pain coming and going. The rooms offer the same views as those on the third floor facing the harbor but these two rooms are very small. No closets (hanging racks from the wall) and a very small bathroom with almost not vanity. Ceiling in the bathroom is roughly 6 feet 6 inches.

Third floor facing the harbor. Normal hotel layout with good size bathroom with big vanities for the ladies. Very noisy on the weekends since most kids and others come to hang out on the plaza below and party until 4:00am.

Third floor not facing the harbor. If you do not plan to spend a lot of time in your room, these are the quietest rooms they offer. Since the hallways are all title, you will here every sound up and down the hallways, but not as much in these.

Wireless internet is offered in the lobby and wired is $10.00 per day in your room. There is no internet center you can use at the hotel. The sign in the pictures is misleading.

Parking is free but there are roughly 18 parking spots. Paid parking lot next door.
Irons are on a first come basis and a $100.00 deposit must be made on your Credit Card.
Your phone can be used if you do another $100.00 deposit.
Refrigerators are free but are limited.
Elevator is very slow and hot.
After checking in, you must go back outside and take the elevator to your floor.
King Beds have dual comforters. Bathrooms have very thin towels put many sets.

Great location for those who want a downtown location. There is no beach. Not even within walking distance. This hotel has great views of the harbor and many shops and restaurants within walking distance.

I have never had any of my rooms vacuumed during my stays. The carpet is old and somewhat dirty in the rooms. No clock, no radio, no coffee maker, and no directions on the web site because as I was told, they do not want you to bring a car.

There are much better hotels on the island but none at this budget price.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Big12
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Nice hotel, cleanly, comfortable beds, and a fabulous view of the harbour from our room. Windows opened to allow great pictures straight ahead of the lovely pedestrian bridge that opened frequently for boats. Good air-conditioning in rooms and nice bathroom. Reasonable price. Small refrigerator was available upon request. Attractive pool was sunny during the day and shaded in the evening with delightfully warm water. A buffet breakfast was offered for $10 per person. Avis rental car office located in lobby of hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank genki93
Reviewed 8 August 2010

The room was great in terms of the basics (clean, comfortable beds, AC). The hotel's location was great although it's parking lot was initially hard to find since you have to get to it through this sort of bus terminal. However our stay was a little disappointing in some areas. The website stated there was an internet terminal, but there was none. The pool on a few days (we stayed there just short of two weeks) was rather dirty and only open until 6pm. The staff was not necessarily rude, but they we not very helpful. I had problems opening up the safe, called the front desk and was told to call back in the morning (it was around 7pm). The following morning I called again, after waiting for a good while, no one came. I called a 2nd time & was then told that someone would come "when he has time". Eventually someone did come and resolved the problem. Another problem: our car got blocked in by a couple of their cement trucks (they were doing some construction) and yet no one notified us and were told that we'd just have to wait until they moved. Also there was no microwave, no coffee maker, no little bottles of shampoo and conditioner. So overall, we enjoyed our stay and I would recommend it if you just want a basic room, good location, and want to keep to a low budget. If you are wanting more hospitality & other comforts, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DonaEspie
Reviewed 21 May 2010

I read the reviews before deciding to stay here. I expected that I would find a neat place, basics that functioned and little service. While I was on business, I also take time for myself to see things, have a few drinks and hang out. The location was perfect, right across from the pontoon bridge. It's downtown. There's a big casino within five minutes of walking. There's a cab stand right there. The hotel has a great little pub in front of it. The people were nice. If you don't need fancy, you don't need a lot of hand holding and you want to spend money on eating, drinking and having fun this place is great. Low cost, big value. Nothing fancy. It was clean, neat and functional.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Martin H
Reviewed 19 March 2010

The location is excellent ..close to transport, shopping, restaurants, the bank, night spots etc. I enjoyed the fact that I was really close to the Shopping area even though my husband wasn't...too much walking for him! LOL. We really explored the place and relaxed in the Brionplien alot at nights. This was great I will definitely go back there again. Oh and there is no casino! not that I mind...more shopping $ I am definitely going back right there.

I remembered one contributor mention that the place was filthy etc...we had a suite it was recently renovated....much like the rest of the town is going through now....and our room was immaculate. large bathroom...clean two queen size beds the only minor problem for me was that our room was at the back of the hotel facing the pool and the school...i would have loved to sake up to Brionplien every morning. Although we slept so good throughout that we almost missed our flight back home...then realised that my watch was wrong!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple