The Royal Sea Aquarium Resort
Hilton Curacao(Willemstad)
US$256
US$201
  • Pool
Scuba Lodge & Suites(Willemstad)
US$119
US$262
US$216
Cancelon
US$990
All reviewstime sharefree admissiongrocery storedolphin showmambo beachone bedroom suitetimeshare weekman made islandprivate beachunlimited accessfull kitchenocean encountersopen oceanwalk in closetkiddie poolfishrented a car
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I honeymooned in Curacao from 26/08 to 02/09. I have posted a full trip report in the forum. We paid $38 US for a taxi from the airport.

The check in process was simple. I remembered to ask for a hairdryer at the desk. Went up to the room - 202 B in building A. The view was fantastic, just what I wanted (I had specially requested building A). The room was great- everything you'd want is there, including dish soap and dish cloth for the kitchenette. Just remember to bring your own toiletries. The room is a great size too, complete with a large closet and everything. And we had the smaller size room offered! We settled in and headed over to Augusto's for dinner. We were the only ones there, we had a fish dish and spaghetti which were both good and with decent portion sizes.

The resort is very beautiful, quiet and well maintained. Small, but really lovely. We walked across to Hemmingway for lunch the second day. We also took the free grocery shuttle at 4pm. We were waiting in the lobby, but apparently we were supposed to wait outside because the shuttle left us. The girl at the front desk called and the driver came back. The shuttle is offered by the store, not the resort. A word on the front desk staff- in general they are very friendly and helpful. It is the same for all the staff. So we got our groceries and then it seemed the shuttle had left us again. I think it was our fault this time- it seemed we were 2 minutes late. But we waited a bit and then got another shuttle back. We then did some walking outside of the immediate vicinity. It's a nice quiet area, very pretty. We walked to Mambo Beach. I meant to have dinner at Aloha but it seemed like they were closing so we kept walking and got to Cabana, where we did not have a good experience. I intend to post individual restaurant reviews.

Twice we took the resort shuttle to Punda at 9am and explored town. Man, what a great time! Everything is BEAUTIFUL. We had bought the Drive & Dive map for $8 and we found our way around town using that. We took the shuttle back to the resort at 3pm and hit the resort beach and pool. The beach is nice and quiet and relaxing and the water is pretty. But I come from a country with great natural beaches so something manmade would never quite cut it for me. Also the sand was not pleasant to walk on barefoot. We had a good time though. Note the incline is very steep, one minute you are at waist high water and three steps later you could be under water! The pools are also very relaxing, and the jacuzzi .

The fourth day we wanted to go back to the resort earlier than the 3pm shuttle and meant to take a bus, but we could totally not understand the bus schedule. My husband wanted to find out from someone but I noticed a mini bus with Sea Aquarium in the listed destinations so we hopped on.

The fifth day we went across to the Sea Aquarium where we had free access. We looked at the exhibits and saw the sharks and stingrays being fed. We also saw the dolphin show. It was nice but it's not my type of thing. If it weren't for the free passes, I'd never have wanted to pay to go there. But we enjoyed it since we had the passes and we didn't stay long.

Check out was simple and quick. Overall, our experience at the Royal Sea Aquarium Resort was very good. The only problems we encountered had to do with the housekeeping, especially with regards to the changing of our sheets. This was not a normal hotel and I went in with reasonable expectations to match. All the resort advertising states that a 'full maid service' is only offered on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I assume that should include changing the sheets. Our sheets WERE NEVER CHANGED, not even once, in a week long stay (Monday-Monday). This even though we asked about it nicely more than once. They also had not smelled particularly fresh when we checked in, which made me question if they had even been changed at that point.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday the maids came and took out the garbage, changed towels and made the bed with the same sheets. I expected the sheets to be changed Wednesday but they were not. On Thursday we came back to the room while the maids were there and I asked if they would change the sheets. They told me this would be done Saturday. I said okay. On Saturday I saw signs of sheets being changed in other rooms and I was happy, but then no-one ever came to our room. Around 5pm I called the front desk and asked if our room would not be serviced (Saturday was supposed to be a 'full' service day). A housekeeper and a maid then came to the room and the maid took out the garbage and changed the towels while the housekeeper made us feel like we were causing them undue trouble- when clearly it was oversight on their part that the room was untouched on a day it was supposed to receive a full service. I was extremely disappointed. The maid asked if we would like the beds made but I said if the sheets were not going to be changed that there was no point. On Sunday our room was again not serviced at all. It was unfortunate, because it left me with some bitterness over what would otherwise have been a perfect stay. All in all though, it's a good resort and we enjoyed our stay very much, they just need to keep a closer eye on housekeeping.

So in summary, the BEST:

-really beautiful
-good location
-great room and facilities
-good service in general
-not crowded
-nice relaxing vibe

The WORST:

-really disappointed in the housekeeping

Overall we had a great trip, and the honeymoon of my dreams. I was so happy I chose Curacao! The resort was also a good choice for our purposes.

Room Tip: We had a B room in the A building and the view was spectacular. The room was also great.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Afb1807
Camilo O, Online Reputation Manager at The Royal Sea Aquarium Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

First of all, thank you for such a descriptive review and congratulations on your honeymoon! I truly hope you and your husband enjoy a wonderful life together.

Having said that, I offer you a sincere apology for the housekeeping issues; let me assure you that this has been an exception rather than the norm, and I have notified management about this. We will follow up with staff to ensure it doesn't happen again.

We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you back soon.

Warm regards,

Camilo Olea
Online Reputation Manager
The Royal Sea Aquarium Curacao

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed at the end of August and had a marvelous time. The staff was very helpful and the grounds were well kept. The kitchen was a little outdated and the stove is electric, but everything was in working condition. We had an apartment overlooking the pool and Caribbean Sea which was a great view. Every room had a balcony. The rooms with the limited kitchen had a markedly smaller one, however.

The office staff was always very accommodating and the activities directors were very friendly and did a good job of offering different events. The sales office has an orientation at the beginning of the week and representatives from local attractions are available for you to speak with. There isn't even a sales pitch you have to sit through to get the information.

The other patrons at the resort were very friendly, as well. There are only 27 - 2 bedroom apartments, so it's easy to get to know the others at the resort. Spent a lot of time between the beach, pool and jacuzzi.

I highly recommend staying here as it is close to downtown and the people are very friendly.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any view. One building overlooks the Caribbean Sea, another overlooks the Sea Aquarium and the third overlooks the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lexinthcity76
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Two Couples shared a double room. The staff here is super friendly!! The rooms are clean and have most you would want in a timeshare. The resort sits between the ocean and lagoon. There is a number of restaurants located nearby plus the aquarium is here also. You receive free entry into the aquarium when you stay at the resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PNI047
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We went with our friends of 32 years,they swapped a time share week,this was a great place we enjoyed ourselves very much ,the staff were excellent very helpful about any questions we may have had,we did get a rental car to better explore the many beaches and other parts of the island
This resort has two pools,hot tub,and small pool for children .right on a small island right on the ocean .Beautiful lagoon for snorkeling and swimming,lots of activities and the resort has a shuttle bus of their own,We really enjoyed the meals we had at Augustos which is the on site restaurant
There are also other restaurants and shopping within walking distance,
Loved it

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view or dolphin training side or aquarium side
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Caseywasbig
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Royal Sea Aquarium Resort is a very well maintained property - with views of the Caribbean Sea from every room.  Be mindful that this also doubles as a "vacation ownership" property so don't expect toiletries and such.  The surroundings give you a relaxed and tranquil feeling so much that you will not forget you are on a vacay!

Checking in was a breeze - accompanied by super friendly staff and complimentary rum punch.  Neighboring beaches (Cabana and Mambo Beach), shopping and tours for water sports in walking distance.

Twice daily complimentary shuttle service to supermarket a plus. Daily shuttle to downtown is nice as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple