“Surinamese food reminiscent of Malaysia”
Review of De Ruyter Cafe

De Ruyter Cafe
Ranked #69 of 275 Restaurants in Willemstad
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York
“Surinamese food reminiscent of Malaysia”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I didn't know what to expect of Surinamese food but when I saw Beef Rendang and Bami Goreng, I knew they were dishes I'd had in Maylasian restaurants and while I'd traveled through Singapore.

The beef rendang also happened to be our waitress' favorite dish on the menu which made my decision easy. The Bami Goreng chicken came with two pieces of tandorii-like/smoked bbq that were some of the most flavorful chicken I've ever had. The Ginger drink I had brought enough spiciness to my meal to cut through the gravy of the Rendang while keeping me cool in that hot midday sun.

This place is located right across the street from Plasa Bieu and is slightly more atmospheric (though also pricier).

Visited August 2013

Tampa, Florida
“MY INTRODUCTION TO FOOD FROM SURINAME”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This was my introduction to food from Suriname and must say I was impressed with the presentation and quality by this local restaurant right next to the local community market. I would say it is the best place to eat you can find in that particular part of Punda, Willemstad. The hostess from the Netherlands was quite friendly and helpful. The facilities were very clean and food very delicious. I enjoyed the bami and nasi combination, then finished with a tasty desert. The lunch specials are quite reasonably priced and it seems the dinner is well priced and would be delicious also although in the evening this is only place open till 10pm in that area.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Easylivingtravel
Chicago
“Heerlijk!”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

De Ruyter Cafe was by far the best meal yet on the Island. The food was Fantastic!
Planning on going back before our time here ends.
Very friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

Heerlijk!

Chicago, Illinois
“Superb”
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I was only in Cruaçao for ten days, but in that time I tried to get to everything, from Bistro de Clochon to Plasa Bieu. And De Ruyter provided my favorite meals. Usually, I have a strict policy that requires I try a new place every time I eat, even if the last place was good. But De Ruyter was too good to keep the rules.
The Negative:
The satay is pricey for what you get, but the Peanut sauce almost makes it worth it.
The Positive:
Go for the Bami, either one (rice or noodles), and the Roti with chicken. Ask for the "super extra spicy hot" pepper paste, and diced veggies in vinegar, and the special "soy sauce." These sauces and spices is what took the meal from fantastic, to the best meal I had in Curaçao.
It's labeled as providing a Surinamese cuisine,and the owner is from Surinam, but if you had blind folded me when I tried it I would have thought the food was from South Thailand/Malaysia. The amount of food you get can easily be shared between two people or save for a later meal.
Ultimately, do try this restaurant, across from Plasa Bieu and bus station on street De Ruyterkade. Note: you can also get take out/to go. Cheers!

2 Thank 5a1bur1
Golden, Colorado
“Surinamese? What could be better?”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Four of us enjoyed our dinner at de Ruyter Cafe recently. What was it? A lovely mix of Caribbean, Indonesian and Indian flavors. Delicious, and at a moderate price for this island. You will find few tourists here--just locals. Plan on "island time" for the arrival of your meal,