“Kalinago Cultural Village”

The Carib Territory
Ranked #20 of 109 things to do in Dominica
Type:
More attraction details
Owner description: The descendants of the Caribs, the first inhabitants of Dominica, or Waitukubuli, as they called it, live in eight villages in this reservation.
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I visited the Cultural Village on a recent trip to Dominica. As a scholar of Caribbean studies (I am an anthropologist), I found this museum site to be a total gem. The information was accurate and beautifully displayed. Our bilingual (English and French) guide presented the information about her ancestors and her community in an engaging and interesting manner. Though the village is obviously a recent construction it provides each visitor a very good idea of how the first peoples of the Caribbean adapted and survived in the islands. I also ate at the snackette- my curried chicken, provisions, and vegetables were delivered quickly and they were tasty. If you are looking to learn more about Caribbean history and specfically more about Kalinago people the Cultural Village is a must-see!!

1  Thank JB2T

Reviewed 8 February 2012

We visited the Carib territory as part of a 3-part tour on Dominica (Carib Territory, emerald pool, champagne snorkeling). However, I didn't realize that just driving to the Carib territory and back would take 4 hours. If you're at Dominica for only a day (i.e. cruisers), I wouldn't recommend it, unless several hours in a car sounds fun to you.

Furthermore, it's a tourist trap, not an authentic village. All of the Carib people are modernized and don't live a traditional Carib lifestyle anymore. The Carib village is empty, except for a couple of basket weavers trying to sell their goods. The village buildings are built in a modern way with lumber and metal hardware, with an addition of grass on the roof for a more primitive look. The tools for processing cassava are marked that they are not functional -- everything about the village is just for tourists.

Finally, the tour facts appear to be inaccurate, so it's not as if you even learn anything. 10 minutes on Wikipedia would be far more informative. For example, our guide told us that cassava was carried from Africa across the Bering straight by the first people to settle North America. And it turns out that cassava is actually native to the New World and was introduced to Africa.

Not recommended.

5  Thank Hillary M
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I would highly recommend visiting Kalinago Cultural Center in Carib Territory. For a small fee, you enter the park and are matched with a guide, who leads you on a walk around a traditional village. It was very informative and interesting, and the views on the hike were breathtaking. I got some of my favorite photos from the trip here. When you are done with the walk, you can visit craft stands or try traditional Carib foods at a little cafe they have. Very cool place.

3  Thank juliay
Reviewed 3 March 2011

We learned a lot during our visit to Kalinago Barana Aute - following a brief introductory talk a nice and well informed guide took us through the village (open air museum), where we were introduced to everything from native Carib customs and lifestyle to local fauna and flora. Locally made crafts are sold from little shacks on site, and - of course - there is a bar (which we skipped). In contrast to so many "native American cultural sites" this place is refreshingly non-commercial and has a genuine feel to it. This is something Dominica can be proud of.

4  Thank worldtravelers1960
Reviewed 24 February 2009

I'm not 100% sure that I'm reviewing the right thing because I don't know exactly what the name of the area was we visited on our tour, but I'll assume I'm correct.
This place is great for natural history enthusiasts. The folks here are carrying on the traditions of their ancestors in great fashion. You can see the main house, try your hand at squeezing out sugar cane juice, see casava bread being made, check out the basket weaving etc. The kind folks also prepare some traditional food for you to sample.
There is a river you can go tubing down in the back. It isn't too long, but it is a nice adventure to cap the day.
We got to spend some time talking with one of the teenage girls as she hitched a ride with us back to town to attend school. It gave us a great perspective on how things work and I recommend checking out these great people.

1  Thank Dand978