We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
The latest reviews. The lowest prices. The perfect place to shop for hotels.
IslandStyle Fishing Whale Watching & Charters
London
Level Contributor
4 reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

After having completely given up on the idea of seeing anything other than birds, we thought we were headed back in to shore after what was obviously a tourist trap. Boy were we wrong!!

We saw a herd of about 30 pilot whales, it was absolutely breath taking. They were very inquisitive and we were literally surrounded by them. Soon after a pod of about 25 Fraser dolphins. They are a rare type with pink bellies. Very big in size and they were jumping all around the boat.

At one point we were surrounded by more than 50 mammals of the sea, and we watched them as the sun went down, and headed back in.

Amazing and romantic!!

Visited November 2012
Helpful?
4 Thank HenryBuckley
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
Write a Review

44 reviews from our community

Visitor rating
    31
    9
    1
    1
    2
Date | Rating
  • English first
  • German first
  • Portuguese first
  • Russian first
  • Any
English first
New York City, New York
Level Contributor
28 reviews
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Island Style Fishing and Whale Watching is a terrific day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

My husband and I signed up for a private 1/2 day fishing and whale watching excursion with Island Style, specifically with the captain Jerry and his mate. We were able to see dolphins, whales in the distance, schools of skipjacks (we actually hooked two) and saw the island from a different view.

Jerry took us out on the Proud Mary which is a large, beautifully maintained boat. He is extremely knowledgeable good guy who put out many lines for my hsuband and kept a lookout for whales/fish from above. Highly recommend him and his boat!

Visited October 2012
Helpful?
1 Thank Glorianne G
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
230 reviews
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“A whale of a time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

It was something I always wanted to do, see whales in the wild and to get a photo of a whale tail as the creature dived, here in Dominica with this guy's help I did it. great time on board very knowledgable crew, patient too.

Visited October 2011
Helpful?
Thank RuralRovers
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
Highland, Michigan
1 review
“IslandStyle - Great Fishing Charter Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

During a family cruise in the southern Caribbean in Jan. 2012, we stopped in Roseau, Dominica. Our grandson found us the most reasonable fishing trip among 8 island stops with Captain Jerry of IslandStyle Charters. He met us at the Young Hotel on schedule and ferried our group of 5 to his fishing boat "Proud Mary". While he was initially setting lines a fish took a bait and made a strong run snapping the line. He judged it to likely be a Kingfish. Approximately one hour of trolling later we had a release from an outrigger line and after a little"fish coaxing" by Jerry there was a big fish surfacing behind the boat. Several minutes later we had it close to the boat and after a few tries with a gaff hook it was successfully brought aboard. This fish was a striped blue marlin about 80 inches long and weighing approximately 100 lbs. Although other marlin were sighted, we did not catch any more during our 24 miles of trolling in reasonable proximity of the island. The trip was considered to be very successful and all were happy with our half day fishing charter with Jerry of Island Style Charters. Sharing the photos with other fishermen on the cruise ship made them very envious.

Visited January 2012
Helpful?
Thank Dick M
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
27 reviews
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Beware of Excessive Optimism”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

When we booked our Eastern Caribbean cruise and found out that Dominica is a great place to see whales, we set out to find a good whale watching tour and settled on Captain Jerry of IslandStyle. Unfortunately, when there is a 90% chance of seeing whales, that means that 10% still don't see them and that was us. Nor did we see dolphins or any other type of marine life. What we did get for our money was a nice boat ride along the coast of Dominica in the rain and a cup of juice.

I contacted Captain Jerry by e-mail in advance. He replied that there was a tour available that day and gave us instructions to mail a check for the full amount to Dominica. I did so and then waited for confirmation that it was received, which I didn't get. I finally e-mailed to ask for confirmation and received only somewhat timely responses that our check had NOT been received weeks after I sent it. Just before our cruise, I finally paid $25 to cancel the check and was given information on where to meet Captain Jerry when we arrived at port.

We hurried off the ship to meet Captain Jerry and then we waited with no sign of him for about half an hour. When he arrived, he had our cancelled check and we paid him cash. My cynical self thinks that he had it all along, but wanted to be paid in cash instead. That would have been nice to know before I paid the bank fee. About a dozen others from our ship arrived at the same time and we set off.

The back of the boat was crowded, so my husband and I climbed around to sit alone on the front, which we enjoyed. The day was rainy and we had to retreat to the covered area in the back for a while. We were out for about three hours and saw no sea life at all, which was so disappointing. There was another whale watching boat in the distance and they didn't seem to be doing any better. We understand that nature is unpredictable, and Captain Jerry seemed to be doing his best, so we don't blame him. Unfortunately though, our experience with him was not a very positive one. If we had seen whales, I would have given the tour a higher rating and been less annoyed by the mediocre customer service before the tour.

Because of the time and money this tour cost us, we didn't feel like we were able to do much else on Dominica except wander the shops near the port before getting back on the ship early. Dominica is a beautiful island and we hope to give it another chance someday.

Visited April 2011
Helpful?
4 Thank alaypath
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC

Travellers who viewed IslandStyle Fishing Whale Watching & Charters also viewed

 
Roseau, Saint George Parish
Roseau, Saint George Parish
 

Been to IslandStyle Fishing Whale Watching & Charters? Share your experiences!

Write a Review Add Photos & Videos

Owners: What's your side of the story?

Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.

Claim Your Listing