Papillote Wilderness Retreat
US$144
US$118
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
Sunrise Farm Cottages(Castle Bruce)
TripAdvisor
All reviewstrafalgar fallsspring fedhummingbird suitenatural hot minerallong hikeday adventureoutdoor kitchenshort drivepoolsplantsmarcelannrainforestbathstropicallakehummingbirds
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We spend four nights here and enjoyed it very much.The location is fantastic with views of rainforest hills.There are two waterfalls in the wonderful garden with hot water pools everywhere. You can walk to famous Traffalgar falls and by car it is possible to get to other points of interest nearby. We stayed in Breadfruit suite, what can accomodate up to 6 people /we were 4 adults+2children/ and it was spacious enough for all of us.There was one privat hot pool and sitting area very close and we spend most of our evenings there. As for restaurant, we did not eat there, as we did spend most of our time discovering/touring the island.I noticed, it has beautiful view though.

Room Tip: Breadfruit suite N.11 - 2 bedrooms and 1 "living room" with 2 single beds and sitting area
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for the last 3days of my vacation. The staff is very nice. They introduced themselves to me and gave me suggestions of ways to spend my days. The grounds are amazing. There are beautiful gardens and hot water pools everywhere. Trafalgar falls is very close which is a nice way to spend and hour or two. The rooms are very clean. There is a nice restaurant with an outdoor patio and wifi.
One of the nice things that I did here was go on a walk with a man named Christopher who gives tours in and around Papillote. Along our walk he pointed out all the different plants and flowers teaching me about all of them and talking to me about the history of Dominica. If you are wanting to take a local tour ask for Christopher 767.614.0939. He is a wonderful person to talk to and spend a day exploring Dominica.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I have visited Dominica many times, but this was my mothers first time. She suffers with Arthritis in her knees and hands, I had hoped that this trip would prove to bring her some relief. The hour half long trip from the airport was a tour in itself. We were welcomed with friendly smiling staff...and quite a few stairs to get to our room. I could see the dread on my mother's face, but she took her time and managed. We were in room #11 after reading other reviews I thought it would be nice to have such close access to the hot pool. It was right outside our door. It was wonderful and soothing. We took full advantage. The garden tour was excellent as well. My love for tropical plants made this location really special. I only wish that they had seeds for some of the plants on sale in the small gift shop.
The food in the restaurant was very nice. The staff, again were wonderful. We took a day trip into town to do a little shopping and have lunch. All in all it was a wonderful stay and we are hoping to return with some more family during the winter.

Room Tip: Room #11 is close to two hot pool, one of which is right outside the bedroom door. It also adjoins to another room (#12 I think) if you had a family or two couples this would be nice. There are no screens on the windows and although the mosquitoes didn't bother me, they were a bit of a nuisance to my mother. The net over the bed is not all that great, and the fan is small and doesn't to enough to keep them off you if they start to bite. Take repellant if mosquitoes are a serious problem for you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Spend a few nights here and enjoyed it to the max! What a place and what a ride to get here in the first place. Friendly folks, near the Trafalgar Falls and our room was just huge, with plenty of space to store stuff, sit and a comfy bed as well. Our private hot spring plunge pool was a big bonus and the food here is excellent, albeit a bit pricey to be honest. Only the front outdoor seating area at our hotel was a bit sad, with plastic chairs, but everything else was just perfect!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MichaelBurm
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I first visited Papillote 24 years ago and was glad to see on my recent second visit that it has only gotten better. The Papillote sits at the end of a mountain road just inside the rain forest. It has real waterfalls powered by gravity and hot baths heated by nature; no fiberglass landscapes, pumps and water heaters here. The grounds are their own botanical gardens, worthy of just gazing around and relaxing all day. The on-site restaurant was terrific, featuring local fare cooked to dazzling splendor (but somewhat expensive). Our room had a balcony and two bedrooms, a simple but a nice place to let the frogs and tropical nightlife serenade you to sleep. Papillote is great place base your travels around and hike this amazing island.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple