“Great deal loving caring family”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roseau
Ma Bass Guest House
Ranked #7 of 21 Roseau B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Great deal loving caring family”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Great deal simple, no frills, clean, unassuming place in the center of the city, access to all areas even Portsmouth, Ma Bass was great with suggestions on where to visit and how to get there. The room was nice space, safe access to kitchen.

Side note people go to Dominica because of its rawness, pay for cheap hotel room then expect the NYC grand Hyatt

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Rockley, Barbados
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Ma Bass is a comfortable clean guest house run by a very sweet old lady. The rooms are quaint and basic and we felt very safe and secure. Sure the showers aren't the hottest that I have had but in this climate it hardly matters. Ma went out of her way to make breakfast at the time that suited us each day and there was plenty of interesting local fruits and foods for us to sample.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ridgididge
Lagos, Portugal
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Unfortunately we can't give a proper review as Ma Bass was not there when we arrived on Sunday evening from the ferry, despite having made a reservation in person, the week before. She was friendly enough then and wrote it all down in the book. The rooms looked OKish but basic. Arriving on a Sunday night in dark deserted Rousseaux when the guesthouse was all locked up, the telephone was not answered and there was no note left, was not a nice experience. Everything was closed. We waited for hours while we ate something and leaving the luggage with the friendly neighbours, but at 9 there was still no one there. We found the Zymes See hotel around the corner, friendly owner, but the room was extremely basic.
I think Ma Bass means well but maybe she is getting a little old for this, other people told us this too. We left a note for her but never heard back. So I would not immediately recommend this place, there are other options in town but if you arrive on a Sunday, definitely book ahead.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank peertje
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I was extremely dissapointed with the state of my room in the attic. I rarely had a hot shower, my toilet did not flush properly for the duration of my stay, the wardrobe door was broken, the sink was crooked and the water trickled out of the shower and tap.When I complained about all of these issues, I was told someone would fix these issues, Only the toilet was fixed.
My room wasn't thoroughly clean for my stay. I can't recall seeing the cleaner mop or sweeping the floor and my sheets were rarely changed- I had to request for clean sheets.
The kitchen is in dire need of renovating as you can only use the hobbs not the oven. It took 30 mins to make a cup of tea as you have to use the kettle on the hob.
For the money I paid to stay here, I should have spent a few dollars more to stay at a reputable hotel. It did tarnish my holiday but Dominica is alovely place and I will visit again- I just wouldn't stay here.

Room Tip: This guesthouse is not designed for a lengthy stay I wouldn't stay no more than one night!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Honest Hotel I
Amriswil, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We chose the slightly larger one of the two southern rooms under the roof with a shared balcony. The upper stairs were extremely steep. There were two double beds in the room, one of which we used as a baggage rest, as there was little other space for that purpose. There was a small round, shaky table in the room, but there was no room for chairs. The private bathroom was very small and at first the sink watertap did not work, but was repaired immediately after we reported this to an employee. The only mirror was in the bathroom, where there was no shaver socket. The balcony allowed nice views over part of the town and to the Morne Bruce hill, but included two ugly concrete constructions that looked like ruins. We were self-catering and used the guest kitchen, where Ma Bass also prepares breakfast for guests. The gas stove worked well, but the frying pans were in poor condition. Ma Bass is a very friendly old lady, helpful and talkative, but perhaps beginning to be a little too thrifty. We stayed for 5 nights and did not regret our choice.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Maynooth, Ireland
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Ma Bass and Mr Bass were great hosts for our stay, no request was too much trouble and we were very thankful for the helpful local information offerred. The guesthouse is very conveniently located, clean, tidy and well equipped. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have great views over Roseau
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank ciarancreilly
Roatan, Honduras
Reviewed 5 August 2012

For only $40 a night, we stayed with Ma Bass for several days - it was a perfect location in central Roseau and Ma Bass was extremely accommodating (she changed our mattress on request). When we went on the Boiling Lake hike, she woke up at 5:00 am to cook us breakfast! She's extremely knowledgeable of Dominica and got us in touch with a fabulous Boiling Lake guide who took us for half the price of what we were expecting to pay. If you're looking for a safe and cozy place to stay in Roseau, this should be your first choice.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nakedape13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Fort Young Hotel
#6 of 7 in Roseau
Secret Bay
Secret Bay
#1 of 4 in Portsmouth

Been to Ma Bass Guest House? Share your experiences!