“The only downside of our stay on Dominica....”
Review of Garraway Hotel

Garraway Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Roseau
Reviewed 21 December 2011

November 2011. Our departing flight from Dominica was cancelled, and American Eagle sent us all back to Roseau to spend the night. We were sent to the Garraway Hotel. We all looked forward to some cocktails and dinner there, and a good night's sleep before returning to the airport early the next morning. The Garraway was busy; the young men at the reception desk were very polite, but things went way downhill from there on. I was put into a room which was less than average. I went to turn on the A/C control for my room, and the cover fell off in my hand. The control's innards had old disconnected wiring which obviously had been in disrepair for quite a long time - and I noticed a floor fan provided in the room. I called the front desk to report the A/C, but no response on the A/C problem. Oh well, time for dinner anyway. My friends and I met in the cavernous dining room, and experienced very, very slow service and mediocre food. At the bar, the bartender seemed determined to completely ignore us. Then, back to my room, where I met a big cockroach in the middle of the floor, legs waving in the air. I struggled to open my windows, as there would be no A/C on this hot night. Bottom line, I slept with the floor fan by my bed and windows open. The bed was comfortable, but all night motorcycles were roaring back and forth in the road directly below, making a lot of noise. We had to get up at 4 a.m. to make the journey back to the airport; I felt that I had not slept at all. The Garraway is run down at the heel. The decor needs to be spruced up. Management should institute a routine maintenance program, and most importantly, implement formal hospitality training for their bartender, cooks and wait staff - while everyone except the bartender was smiling and friendly, the food service was confused and very slow. American Eagle is probably housing their stranded travelers for an extremely good rate at The Garraway, but I would never stay there again on my own.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has working A/C!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank IslandDelight
pestaina, Owner at Garraway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Thanks for your review which has enabled us to investigate the concerns raised. We first of all wish to apologise for the shortcomings which you identified. We are grateful for your observations and have taken steps to ensure that the issues raised have been dealt with so that these do not recur. With best wishes for a Happy New Year!

Garraway Hotel

Reviewed 20 November 2011

Ideally located on the waterfront, this hotel is too pricey for the level of service it gives. There is no wifi which was a major inconvenience to a business traveler. The room I was in was exceptionally spacious with a kettle and refrigerator, however there was no coffee or tea provided. There is much room for improvement if one has to pay so much for this hotel. I would recommend this hotel because of the lmited choices available on the island.i

• Stayed: November 2011
pestaina, Owner at Garraway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Thanks for your review of the hotel. We can always work with you on pricing and would be willing to review this at your convenience. Do not hesitate to contact us as we welcome such comments which help us to improve our service and assess this in respect of your observations. We look forward to your next visit and hope that we can work together to ensure that you are satisfied with the overall package provided by the hotel. Thanks for your continued patronage.

Garraway HOtel

Reviewed 9 November 2011

This was my third stay at the Garroway Hotel. I have always found it to be clean and comfortable. However, I think what I appreciate most is how friendly and helpful the staff is. They go the extra mile to see that your needs are met. The least impresive part of teh facility is the resturaunt. The service is slow and the waitres is hard to locate sometimes. The food id okay, but nothing to write home about. With that said, I would come back here again if I am in the area.

Room Tip: Room #203 is my favorite. It is next to the resturaunt and overlooks the dock where the cruise ship...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for your compliments about our hotel which have have been very helpful. We have taken note of your constructive comments and will certainly do all we can to ensure that improvements are made so that the next time you stay with us you will notice the difference. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and hope you will stay in your favourite room. Thanks again!

Reviewed 24 January 2011

Clean room, Good location, every day in a front of your window there is a new cruise ship.
Breakfast is a problem... You have to wait for a meal(piece of bread or fruits) for a least a half of hour some times longer.. I think this is more or less good value for the money I paid because hotel is not very expensive..

• Stayed: January 2011
pestaina, Manager at Garraway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Thank you for your observations and patronage. We are happy that you chose to stay with us and will certainly be making every effort to improve on our service which is a priority for us. We hope you will stay with us again once you are visiting the island and look forward to any further comments from you which can assist us in making your stay more comfortable as well as improving our service.

Reviewed 16 August 2010

Very very friendly staff and part owner i met.

I was satisfied. There was free high speed internet and the staff was always very willing to go the extra mile to make you comfortable. This is one of their best assets. The security guard was also absolutely the best I have met in any hotel in any part of the world.

Nitpicking, I would recommend that an ironing board and non-skid iron be provided in every room and the clothes closet be enclosed together with a few other minor issues.

The location is great and you can access a number of services very easily whatever your interest. I had a great view of the Caribbean sea and the cruise ships docking.

Meals were adequate and timely and I had no regrets staying there.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank TTTony

We wish to thank you for your kind remarks about our staff and service for which we are very appreciative. We also want to thank you for staying with us as your patronage means a lot to us. We note your suggestions especially about the iron and ironing boards in the rooms which is something we are aiming to provide in the medium term. However, when you next stay with us we would be more than willing to provide you with those during your stay so you do not have to ask for one every day.

We also appreciate your observation about enclosing the clothes area which is something we have given thought to and hope to address in the medium term.

We hope all this can be put in place to make it more comfortable and convenient for you and thank you again for your very constructive observations. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future to the hotel. With best regards.

Reviewed 14 January 2010

This was my first time staying at the Garraway Hotel. The rooms are comfortable and clean, and extremely spacious. The food at the Hotel is average, but alternative options are limited!

Fort George seems to have an extemely snooty approach toi visitor bookings so I may well continue with Garraway.

When will this country work out a solution that does not require that bloody trip through the rainforest to the other end of the island??!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business

We will do everything to ensure that you have the options you like and would appreciate any specirfic choices that you may have wanted to see on our menus. Please let us have your suggestions so we can make sure that your next visit is more satisfactory. With best regards.

Reviewed 3 January 2010

It's nothing fancy, but the Garraway has a great location right on the waterfront, the business center offers computer/internet use for free on weekdays, and the restaurant is decent (though service left a little to be desired, and the continental breakfast was overpriced). I'd say it's comparable to a chain hotel in the U.S. (Super 8, etc.) -- basic but clean. It was nice to have a mini-fridge in our room, and we liked watching the cruise ships come and go right outside our window.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank soliteyah
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Fort Young Hotel
The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar
Secret Bay
Secret Bay
#1 of 4 in Portsmouth

Been to Garraway Hotel? Share your experiences!