“Cozy and Hospitality”

Ranked #17 of 21 Roseau B&B and Inns
Tokyo, Japan
“Cozy and Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

Very cozy guest house and the owner is the lady with hospitality & high performance of the traditional cuisine. The hotel stays at the perfect spot near the city center of Roseau, the famous Screw Spa, and also the Dominica Club. I can recommend you the good performance of the price, too.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank uuzak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

Myself and wife had a very pleasant experience we both enjoyed the food immensly we enjoyed waking up to the sounds of nature and the views of the lush green landscape. It rained almost everyday but we welcomed the rain it smelled so clean and fresh, did not get in the way of our daily activities which was watching the first ever cricket test match held in the Nature Island (Dominica). At the end of our day we looked forward to having a splendid dinner created by our host Patsy. Overall I would highly recomend this hotel; give it a try

Room Tip: I stayed in room # 1 but you have a better view from the upper rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

Nice place to be in Roseau , Petsy and Heu the owners are great. Feels like home and great value for money.

• Stayed July 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

Sonya gave me a warm welcome. Felt like I was visitig an aunt who was happy to get a visit from me. She was very helpful in suggesting things to do, how to get around and in finding me a guide. We had long and interesting talks on life in Dominica, politics, health and all kind of other things. And she even brought me with her to mas in her church.

If you want to have your meals in the hotel let Sonya know in advance and she will serve you at the time you wish. There isn't a fixed menu. What is fresh for the day she will cook and she cooks meals not modified to please an european but the way she cooks for herself. Great way of tasting the local cuisine.

I had a room with a kitchenette. Sonya supplied me with what I needed of pots, plates and so forth.
I had a private bathroom across from my room.
My room had a balcony with sun and the there is a shaded shared balcony as well.
The hotel needs a bit of fixing up but they already have great plans of this.
There is a road running by the hotel. Was a bit noisy but I put in earplugs and slept till dawn.
It is easy to flag down a ride or a bus. If you are by car there is a parking lot connected to the hotel.
The hotel is located not far from Roseau and to different hikes, waterfalls and sulphur springs.

Sonya connected me with Ken, and he was my guide and we did lots of things what locals do. I had a great time with him. He took me everywhere I wanted to go and presented me to things I hadn't expected to do as well as attend live calypso at Harlem Plaza.
Let him take you to the small rasta eating place. Exellent cheap food.

I loved it there and felt at home.
Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Mette_MarieMM
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2008

The Roseau Valley Hotel is a little rustic. No a/c, no window screens, problematic hot water. But it is clean, comfortable, friendly, and the food is GREAT. Just tell Patsy that you will be there for supper and turn her loose. It's not fancy, but it is good island food. And the rum punch is wonderful!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the WiFi which is better than I have found in many five-star hotels.

If you don't have a car, it is a bit out of the way. Learn to use the Dominica bus system and it is convenient to everything.

Ask Hugh and Patsy for suggestions about activities. They know what to do and who is a good guide.

• Liked — Friendly hosts
  • Disliked — Problematic hot water
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Barbados
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2006

If you’re like me and you rely heavily on the Internet to find somewhere to stay during your trips, please do not be fooled by the pictures and information provided on the Roseau Valley Hotel website if you plan to visit Dominica. I just returned from Dominica with a friend, and to say that the website offers a skewed view of this facility would be a gross understatement.

My friend and I reserved a supposedly self-contatined studio for 2-4 people. What we found was a room with severely limited kitchen facilities and neither phone nor TV as promised on the website. The website was obviously designed with great lengths to exaggerate the size of the “Hotel” rooms and its location. Contrary to the impression conveyed on the website, the “Hotel” is located right next to a heavily-used mountain road, and hence takes in all of the street noises even at late hours of the night.

We would have been less annoyed by this had the kitchen facilities not been so glaringly lacking; while finding a room with a fully-stocked kitchenette was a priority for us, we were greeted with a 4-top stove and dishwasher combo, 1 miniscule kitchen sink and a mini-fridge. We were provided with next to nothing in terms of kitchen utensils.

On top of this, the owner, Patsy, managed to tack on some extra charges to the rates that she’d quoted us previously, even though in her email reply to my initial enquiry she gives me a figure that was the “all-in cost”. Additionally, we were forced to use the laundry service while at the “Hotel” and somehow Patsy construed a pr of pants, 2 shirts, 1 pr of socks and 1 undergarment to be a load of clothes; she also charged us extra for ironing, which we hadn’t asked for.

To be fair, apart from the street noises, the “Hotel” is in a nice enough area – relatively close to town without being in the centre, in a valley that maximises the coolness of the mountain air and the shimmering sounds of the vegetation by night. That said, I maintain that this “Hotel” is highly overpriced and that you can do better in terms of value for money in Dominica.

• Stayed December 2005
14 Thank Corey S

Travellers are raving about these Roseau hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2004

Sitting up in bed each morning we look through the french doors on our balcany onto a picture perfect view, the orchids and the tropical valley below. Even when it rains in the valley the sun still shines and a nice breeze fills the air. When we pull ourselves from bed the owners are waiting there to serve us breakfast or help us plan our daily itinerary. The food is amazing. It's like spa food with taste (all healthy with a wonderful carribean spice). Further, if you want something else, they'll make it for you. The activities/hiking in the area (the mountains) can be pretty intense (you need your boots & some mosquito spray), but the 2 mile walk into town is nice. A perfect location if you want both the water and the mountain access. The hotel is a little rough around the edges... no swimming pool, air conditioning, or screens in the windows (which is normal), but the valley breeze seriously keeps the place cool most of the day and there are plenty of places to go for a swim in nature. Roseau Valley Hotel was the perfect location for our adventure into Dominica.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Fort Young Hotel
Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas
Narakiel's Inn
Narakiel's Inn
#4 of 21 in Roseau

Been to Roseau Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!