“Beno Tours is excellent - we had a wonderful time”
Review of Beno Nature Tours

Beno Nature Tours
Reviewed 20 January 2012

After reading reviews here and on Cruise Critic, I contacted Beno about a tour when we were in Dominica in early January. We were a bit last-minute, and he was incredibly responsive and informative. We had no trouble finding him on the pier (just ask any security or taxi driver, he is quite well-known!) and he was an excellent guide. We had to unfortunately cut our tour short, and he was very accommodating and understanding. We will definitely book with Beno in the future.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

I found "Beno" on this website and engaged him after reading the reviews. We had numerous chats regarding our day in port and what to see and decided that the tour
to Ti Tu Gorge, Spa baths and snorkeling Champagne would work for us.
Beno has vast knowledge in many areas and it was great becoming a "sponge" for the
day.
The van is air conditioned and Beno takes a max of 8 which was comfortable.
The drive to the falls was spectacular. We opened the windows as we rode up the mountain and the smell of freshness permiated everything. Only the men ventured
to swim to the falls as it was cold.
The Spa was great. A whole hour in the sulpher baths. There are three connecting baths in varying water temps . The fauna is gorgeous.
Champagne was a shore entry over rocks into waves and only a few of us made it
to the reef..(I would suggest water shoes for all these places)
"Beno can acomodate"you on exhiileratingly physical trip , and also a more sedate tour. We like small group tours when we travel and highly recommend the BENOTOURS.

1  Thank Dana G
Reviewed 31 December 2011

No, it's not the Dominican Republic, it's Dominica, pronounced like Domineeka. This was the second island where I had pre-arranged a tour. Fortunately, it was night and day difference from St Kitts, though. Actually Dominica is very different from the other islands. It's a volcanic island and the sand on the beaches is black. I had read that the beaches aren't great, but there are plenty of other things to see in and around the rain forest. So the guy I found was called Beno. There's also a site for Beno Tours. Basically it's this one proprietor. He seemed like a really nice guy as soon as we met him. I talked to another friend and they mentioned the same destinations plus one called Champagne Bay. I told Beno about it and he said he would take us there as well, even though it wasn't part of our original agreement. Beno never said no to us for whatever we talked to him about and he didn't ask for additional money for the additional places. Another cool feature of his tour is he stocked the van with a cooler full of bottled water and the local beer called Kubuli. That was a great added touch to the tour. I would highly recommend him for a Dominica tour. There are also other great tours on this island as well; others where the guides were even more helpful, so I get the feeling that this is a VERY friendly island. Again, stark comparison to our experience at St. Kitts. I feel like if this place had good beaches, it would be the best destination for sure. I think a combination of St Maarten and Dominica is the perfect vacation.

Titou Gorge - This was a cool stop. Basically, it's a waterfall inside this cave-like area. There's a huge gorge where a scene from Pirates of the Caribbean 2 was also shot. There's a scene where they're running away from someone/something and they jump in to this gorge. I'm going to have to rent that movie to remember the scene myself. But anyway it was a short little hike up to the gorge and then I actually swam in to it. It was kind of a scary swim. There are parts where the water is very shallow... then it goes really deep and then it's shallow again. When you put your foot down and there's nothing down there... and you kind of go in to the water a bit; that's when I kind of freaked out a little bit. I should've taken a life vest, but I didn't. Well, anyway I swam all the way in and up to this little cove area where the waterfall actually was. It was an exhausting swim, because you're going up-current from that fall. I couldn't make it in to the cove... the current was just too strong and I was pooped. The rest of my group just stayed by the outside and waited for me. It was fun... felt like I was very adventurous doing it.

Screw Sulfur Spa - We paid and entered a sulfur spa for a while. It was really cool, because they had built these man-made pools of sulfur springs. The idea is that the sulfur water is very good for your skin. Each subsequent pool was cooler; in all they have 5 pools of differing temperatures. We worked our way up to the hottest one. It was a really relaxing stop.

Trafalgar Falls - Beautiful falls in the middle of the rain forest. After a small hike up to the platform you get a view of two separate falls. Interestingly, one of them is very hot water and the other one is cold water. It's so amazing that is... After the platform the going got a lot tougher... you have to scale up and down all sorts of slippery boulders and rocks, etc. It was definitely an adventure, but we went and got in to both falls. Some great shots in the cascading pools under those falls. Really fun.

Mountain View - It was a gorgeous view from up there. We saw the entire town and port and cricket stadium and all. Breathtaking.

Champagne Bay - After the falls, we went to Champagne Bay. Along the way, other tours waved to Beno and told him that snorkeling was not advised today due to the rough waters. Too cloudy and too strong of a current. Well, since we had heard about it we asked him to take us there anyways. So we went there and walked around and took a look. There were a few people out there snorkeling. We thought about it, but decided to skip. Other friends of ours said they did that as their first stop and the person they were with helped take them in despite the rough waters. There had been some scary parts for them as well. I think with a few of us that were non-swimmers being there, I'm glad we stayed out of it. Plus we had run out of time after doing 3 somewhat time-consuming activities beforehand. So we went back to the pier and it was time to leave Dominica.

3  Thank AJSI
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Augustine "Beno" Pascal is an excellent guide for the island of Dominica. He answers emails quickly, shows up at the ship or your hotel on time, is very knowledgable of the area, speaks perfect English, drives carefully -- a perfect guide. We met him through another group from our cruise ship who'd used him before and asked us to join their group. I especially appreciated getting to the special sites before everyone else arrived. He also lined up special experiences for us along the way. It was great having a tour for six people rather than a huge cruise tour! He can be reached at www.benonaturetours.com

Reviewed 3 April 2011

We had a wonderful morning on Dominica with Beno Pascal. He was easy to find as we got off our cruise ship, and he got us to the gorgeous Emerald Pool before any of the other cruise ship passengers! A group of twenty or more arrived just as we were leaving--it got crazy fast--but there is no one in our pics except us and our touring partners :). We then stopped by the very pretty Jaco Falls and ended up with a stop at Mr. Nice's Fruit Stand (and, let me tell you, no trip to Dominica can possibly be complete without tasting their spectacular fresh fruit, especially the grapefruit). The driving in between the stops was just as spectacular! Our routes were beautiful, the van (which could have held at least 4, and maybe 6, more people) was clean and comfortable, and complimentary drinks were provided. Beno is extremely friendly and knowledgeable about Dominica, and his love for his beautiful island shines clearly through. When we told him we wanted to eat before we got back on the ship, he took us to a local place where he likes to eat--what a great chance to really get the flavor of Roseau! Our touring partners (friends we'd made at our dining table who we invited to join us on our already-booked tour) agreed that our time with Beno on Dominica was a clear highlight of our trip. We would not hesitate to book another tour with him on any return trip to Dominica.

2  Thank r2d2jsh