“Best Hotel on the Island”
Review of Fort Young Hotel

Fort Young Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Roseau
San Diego, California
“Best Hotel on the Island”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We are scuba divers and adventurers so this island was meant for us. After comparing prices for package deals on land and diving excursions we found it would cost the same if we paid for our diving trips separately and then made Ocean Front room reservations at the Fort Young Hotel. Yes we have a sitting balcony overlooking the caribbean sea and we can look for our dive boat as it approaches the dock so at the last minute we can take the stairs or elevator down to board our boat. After a day of diving, we rinse our gear in the fresh watrer tubs already prepared for us by the staff of Dive Dominica (they have a shop at the hotel) and then they provide hangers for our gear and will store it in their shop to dry before the next day of diving. No need to haul wet diving gear up to our rooms to rinse in the shower and dry on our balcony. Diving doesn't get any easier than this. The hotel was in the middle of renovations while we were there so the main pool area was closed down, but they still had the "infinity" pool available. They have a nice dockside bar for drinks and the restuarant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The city shuts down ealry so if you want to shop or dine out due it during the daytime, not at night. Expect youir nights to quite and relaxing and your days to be filled with adventure.
The added plus is it is nice to return to a luxuriouos hotel room with AC, large bath and shower facility and beautiful view from the balcony to have a drink ot two. They evening have a cardi room with treadmills looking out over the sea.
If you are in the city of Roseau, don't stay anywhere else and spend a little extra for the ocean front room. You will not regret it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LandOrSea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Brampton, ON
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Stayed at the hotel for 10 days, 5 days with b'fast included. Did a dive package which was well worth it. The dive equipment was in excellent condition (we had to rent BCD and regulators). Room was overlooking the ocean and clean/well kept. Staff very friendly and helpful. B'fast had a great selection. Hotel centrally located and walking distance to everything in Roseau which is very active during the day and then closes for the night. Took us a little while to figure out the good restaurants which were open in the evening. Buses not that hard to figure out if you asked - certain stops within the town went to certain areas on the island. Activities staff very helpful and we found the prices for the Boiling Lake hike very comparable to outside vendors/tour companies. Aside from b'fast package, we didn't eat in the hotel as we found prices a little high. We tried as many other local restaurants as we were able to find.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank AtoZBrampton
Antigua
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Dominica gets a lot of rain and so has mosquitos. If you want to get eaten alive, stay here. Some of the rooms have wooden slats with gaps over the window opening. But there is neither glass nor a screen so the bugs just fly right in. The road from the airport (on the Atlantic side of the island) is a two hour nightmarish drive through the mountains. This place is just not worth. Try St. Lucia or Martinique.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank antigone51
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 July 2011

The Fort Young Hotel is like a diamond in the rough. It is a very nice hotel - clean, decent food, beautiful view of the ocean. We stayed here for 5 night and it was a good experience. The hotel is located in Roseau, which is an absolute dump. We were afraid to eat anywhere outside of the hotel. The guidebook I had read about Dominica recommended that you take the bus - good luck. You can't get anywhere without paying the big bucks for the taxi. I am posting this information because I read through countless reviews about Dominica and was shocked at the lack of attractions when we got there. Most of the businesses and homes were metal shacks and there was absolutely nothing of interest in town.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mndoc_11
San Antonio
Reviewed 18 July 2011

This was the third place we stayed on the island. The first was a two hour drive to go diving. The second was the worst place ever. Fort Young was great. Very nice facility. Great staff. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
Roseau, Dominica
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Although I spent just one night at the Fort Young Hotel, it was so relaxing, luxurious and delicious it totally recharged me for the next week! The Scotts Head Suite was beautiful - the view was gorgeous and its location near the pool & hot tubs was key for my 12-year-old son. We had a delicious dinner - the lamb was the best my husband ever had. The staff was extremely friendly, courteous and attentive. Thank you FYH for a great mini-vacation!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I travelled from London to Dominica, overnighting in Antigua. When I arrived in Dominica my luggage did not arrive, much to my disquiet!!!

When I checked in at the Fort Young Hotel, I informed the staff that I would need make up and something to wear as I had an engagement on the same evening. To my delight, there was a knock on my door and a member of staff came to my room with a selection of her own make up which she said I could have and offered to have someone go with me to the shop to buy an outfit for the evening. She was ever so pleasant.

During my stay, I had an ocean view room and to my utmost surprise, my neighbour was 'Shaggy'!!!! Fancy that!!!! We even met at breakfast!!! He was lovely!!!

The hotel staff were so helpful. I liked the serviettes which they used as they were made from the native plaid material. I told a Member of the catering staff and she promptly offered to come with me to the shop to purchase material and she got curtains, place mats and serviettes made for me. I am planning to go to Dominica in January and pray that there are rooms available at the Fort Young Hotel because this is where I will always want to stay. The service was brilliant and the staff were wonderful. I even saw the Prime Minister having breakfast there!!!! 10 out of 10!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you don't see what you want, just ask!!