“Awful first night”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Roseau
Guadeloupe
“Awful first night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

After reading a few negative reviews about noise concerning the older section of the hotel, I went ahead with my reservation specifically requesting for a 'quiet' room.We were given one of the noisiest room right next to the road! Apparently nobody paid attention to our only request. Our room 502 had high fixed glass louvres that can't be fully closed (can't screen out noise)and a big hole in the mosquito netting. The door looks like it will snap if you give a kick. By instinct I should have insisted a different room ,not expecting it to be this bad.Wow was I wrong! It was the noise from the road that kept me from sleeping the entire night! So a irate me went to front desk at 5.45am in the morning to find a guy on night duty who promised that he'll see to it that our room get changed.Just before heading out for the day,I voiced my complain again to one of the morning staff to make sure the message gets through.After a long tiring day+ a sleepless night, nothing was done when we came back! It requires a third person and wasted time to finally put us in a decent room! But the beautiful premises and overall good service kind of made up for the lousy first night...
Conclusion;
For a 'prestigious' hotel like Fort Young,they should not even sell these rooms until improvements have been made.Question of ethics!I am in hospitality myself and it is the minor but important improvements that makes a big difference.Well if you are given 501, 502 or 503 you may need to knock yourself out with sleeping pills or beer to get a good night sleep!

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jo971

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

This charming, quaint hotel, situated in the heart of Roseau and overlooking the Caribbean ocean, will not disappoint the most discerning traveler! The staff are not only extremely hospitable but go out of their way to accommodate every need of their guests. The rooms are bright, airy and clean and the menus whether eating at the cozy courtyard/bar, poolside or at the Waterfront Restaurant are competitive with those offered at many of the chain hotels in the Caribbean. The amenities available to the business traveler are adequate and couples/families looking for a vacation with a difference, can enjoy the tranquility of this nature island with its 365 rivers, hiking trails and spectacular volcanic terrain. Beaches are few and far between, but can be found scattered throughout the island.

Room Tip: Rooms overlook the Caribbean ocean. Furnishing in rooms in the newer section of the hotel are more...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

I visited this hotel for a weekend. The company I worked for had scheduled a conference for the weekend. The bus ride to the hotel from the airport was disgusting, too long and windy. When I arrived at the hotel, I was asked to relax for a while because the person who was in the room I was supposed to be going to was at a meeting. Only when I was about to collapse, the front desk agent offered to get me another room instead. When I got to the room I was more than happy with the layout.

The bathroom was someone you would see in a dream home. The room was spotless and smelled wonderful. The lunch menu was basic. It was like home cooking, not something you would expect from a hotel at these prices. The staff were generally okay but they were always standing in corners quarreling about their jobs and other co-workers which should be in the back. There was a young lady who served me every night who was the sweetest little thing. All in all, the stay was great.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

The staff at the hotel were polite and very helpful. The people of Dominica are also polite and beautiful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

Fort Young Hotel is right near the center of Roseau and you can walk anywhere in town from here. Hotel was clean and great hot showers after a full day of diving. When booking make sure to get the breakfast included. Otherwise for meals be prepared to wait...like an hour and a half. 5-6 days of the week cruise ships dock directly in front of the hotel. We had ocean view rooms which were great at night when the cruise ships finally left the dock. As for the island it is incredible! If you enjoy hiking and natural wonders this island is for you. The diving is mediocre but the island is by far our favorite one we have explored. This island is not for you if you like sitting on the beach at the sandals, but if you are an outdoor nut that loves hiking and adventure you must visit!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Jtraveler44
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

Beautiful property, excellent service, friendly staff, location very accessible to the island's eco-tourism and scuba diving sites as well as government and commercial offices. Dive shop, tour operator and spa on site. Wireless internet throughout hotel. The Ft. Young is built on the base of an historic fort (renovated and expanded into a hotel) that cascades down a hill to the sea and includes lush vegetation with a waterfall. Deluxe oceanfront rooms are spectacular and give you a shipboard feeling as they hang over the clear Caribbean waters below. There are rooms for all price points, but if you can afford it, go for the spacious, ultra modern deluxe rooms. Suites are very spacious well-appointed apartments for those who need all of the comforts of a home away from home. Food in the two restaurants and snacks at the bar is very good to excellent, depending on the dish.

Room Tip: Check the hotel's website for specials & packages, particularly during summer. If on busine...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank FellowTraveler108
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

After staying in a fishing village for 2 weeks with no air conditioning, Fort Young was a very welcome sight! I was so impressed from beginning to end. The front desk gave me a cold towel and a cold drink upon my arrival, smiles and an eagerness to do a good job were apparent. My room was beautiful, great bed and lots of fat pillows. The infinity pool was an amazing sight, I spent several hours floating around admiring the scenery. I had a wonderful meal at the restaurant although it took almost an hour for my meal as I think they opened the kitchen just for me. Plenty of wine and great conversation from the hostess allowed that time to pass quickly. There was a great party going on downstairs on the boardwalk that night, I drank, I danced, I had a great time! All of this for around $100! Best hotel in Dominica and I'll stay there again when I return!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank PianoKen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Secret Bay
Secret Bay
#1 of 4 in Portsmouth
Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas
The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar
Castle Comfort Dive Lodge
Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Fort Young Hotel? Share your experiences!