“One of the few reasonable places in Dominica but could be better..”
Review of Fort Young Hotel

Fort Young Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Roseau
“One of the few reasonable places in Dominica but could be better..”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel at several occasions and tried several different types of rooms: they all are about same - same furniture, all have split AC units and a ceiling fan, they all have same small terrace which I hardly used because of the mosquitos. I really liked the welcome cocktail, and mini-burgers with French fries they used to have on the bar menu. The swimming pool, and the jacuzzi are nice, but there are lot mosquitos. Same with the bar area, and the terrace overlooking the ocean, where they serve breakfast. The breakfast is reasonably good, although service could be better. There is also a small but well equipped gym which is hardly used. I never saw anybody using it. The hotell also offers different spa services which i never had the opportunity to use. The hotel has a tour desk which offers different day tours to see the main attractions on the island - the mountains and waterfalls, but also scuba diving or snorkeling tours. The hotel is located next to another one, right next to the peer for large cruise ships, everyday around 8-9am a cruise ships brings several thousands tourists. The area becomes a very busy place - the tour organizers with their mini vans trying to get their clients, and the souvenir sellers, etc. The ship lives the island around 4-5pm taking back the thousands of tourists.. and leaving the island in peace.. I know that a few years back, a French manager took over the hotel, and she did lots of changes. etc. I can imagine that the place including the menu could be better today..

Room Tip: When it rains, the upper level rooms can be very noisy.. and terrifying if you are not used to torre...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Erjan2016
FortYoungHotel, Director of Sales at Fort Young Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Hi

On behalf of Management we would like to thank you for your feedback. We apologize for any of the inconveniences that you experienced while you stayed with us. On behalf of the Sales and Marketing Department, we would like you to know that we are continuously working on improving the hotel and will work on improving on the things you mentioned so that your next stay can be more comfortable and enjoyable. We would like to thank you for your continued loyalty to the Fort Young hotel and hope we are able to continue and better serve you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

I had a nice clean room with a quiet AC (sometimes called mini splits) minimal bugs. The only real "hotel" I think in the area. There were lots of events going on so a bit of noise at night. (Weddings, etc). Ok breakfast. Most rooms have a sea view of sorts.

• Stayed July 2013
Hi

On behalf of Management we would like to thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the inconveniences , such as the noise, that you experienced while you stayed with us. We are working on fixing these problems to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you will stay with us again in the future and that we are better able to make your stay at the Fort Young hotel a more enjoyable and relaxing one.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed at the Fort Young hotel for seven nights last month while visiting the country on business. I have to say I was rather surprised at how I enjoyed the hotel. When I first checked in and was shown to my room my first thought was “this was going to be a loooong week.” The room that was reserved for me by my employer was the bottom of the line room (fort rooms). I immediately went to the front desk and asked if there were any other options. I was given the option of paying 105.00 USD (for the week) to upgrade to the next level rooms (ocean front). After viewing the next level I could not hand over my money quick enough. The difference from the bottom of the line rooms to the next level is night and day. I was shocked I was at the same hotel. PAY THE MONEY! The “Fort rooms” are clean but basic. It’s the difference between a Motel 6 and the Marriott. After the first night everyone else in my party paid to upgrade. The others whom I was with actually went two categories higher. I cant see why you would need to pay the extra money because the rooms were not any nicer than mine, just on the ocean floor rather than four stories up.

The ocean front rooms are nice, clean and newer. The AC works outstanding and the tubs in the shower are huge. The prices at the hotel are cheap (for a hotel bar). Diner and drinks was typically less than $40.00 and that’s with several rum punches.

Service at the reception desk, the bars and restaurants was all very good. There is plenty of security on property and I never felt unsafe. The Wi-Fi didn’t work great in my room (because I think I was between two zones) however there was a cable connection in the room if you needed it. Other than my room the Wi-Fi worked outstanding all over the property. I really have no complaints about the hotel itself other than the flies and mosquitos in the bars and restaurants, but that’s not the hotels fault and its to be expected in tropical destinations. If you are travelling to Dominica I could not see staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Pay for the Ocean Front rooms....newer part of the hotel and worth every penny from the basic rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Spencer702
Hi

On behalf of Management we would like to thank you for your feedback. We are very delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you got to see and explore a little of Dominica and we encourage you to visit again. We hope we are able to serve you again in the future.
Dawsonville, Georgia
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This hotel is full-service. Nice out door bars (2) the one by the pool has limited hours of service. The drinks are well made and happy hour is a great deal! The food ordered from the bar was excellent-I reccommend the fish cascadias and plantain chips with marlin dip! The dive shop pro was very helpful at coordinating all of our activities and taxies and helping with last minute adjustments and requests. The hotel is perfectly situated for divers to be picked up dockside for daily diving trips. The dive gear rental was suitable. The hotel breakfast was fresh and plentiful including the omlete bar.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy R
Hi

On behalf of Management we would like to thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that you not only enjoyed your visit with us, but also your visit to Dominica. We encourage you to visit again and hope your dive experience was enjoyable. Thank you for staying with the Fort Young hotel and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Marvlyn
Rehoboth,MA
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My family and I stayed at the Fort Young Hotel in June , and were quite favorably impressed for the most part. The Deluxe Oceanfront rooms were quite nice, well-appointed and roomy. The hotel horizon pool/waterfall was picturesque (if a bit small), the restaurant food was very good, and many of the staff were friendly, accommodating and proficient, Our only caveats were the sprawling,multi-level layout, an indifferent and unhelpful dive shop operator and a persistent beggar at the front door of the hotel. Unfortunately, I thought Roseau (off season) has little going for it with few open shops and fewer restaurants. Still, our stay at the Fort Young was very enjoyable!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hi

On behalf of Management we would like to thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced while you stayed with us. We will take your feedback and use it to help improve the hotel to ensure a more relaxing and enjoyable stay. On behalf of the Fort Young hotel we would like to thank you for staying with us and hope we are able to serve you and your family again in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My wife and I just returned from spending six nights at the Fort Young Hotel. It's my favorite hotel anywhere. I've stayed at no less than 100 hotels worldwide and I'm not cheap. The Fort Young is reasonably priced and I prefer it to lots of fancy places (such as the Frontenac in Quebec City). The beds are comfortable and to hear the waves throughout the night in an oceanfront room (a must!) is so serene. The pool is delightful (overlooking the ocean) and so are the hot tubs. The staff is great. So friendly and incredibly helpful. If you have a car you can simply park right out front on the street by the hotel. It's as safe as can be. I even left the car's doors unlocked inadvertently one night. Nothing happened. I love this place (and the people). It's perfectly located for what we did – drives to Scotts Head for a hike up the cliff for a fabulous vista, Champagne Bay for excellent snorkeling, the Emerald Pool, and the restaurants up the west coast. We loved the Romance Cafe in Mero, the lobster dinner at the Sunset Bay Club, and the spas in Wotten Waven. If I were in better shape I'd do the hike to Boiling Lake. It's apparently one of world's true wonders. I need to get in better shape, return, and do it. Why did it take me so long to find this glorious island and its most fabulous hotel? ... Oh yeah, we also spent two nights at the Pickard Beach Cottages in Portsmouth. Another good move. What a fabulous trip!

Room Tip: Make sure you get an oceanfront room. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JohnLGale
Hi

On behalf of Management we would like to thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Fort Young hotel and in Dominica. Dominica has many hidden treasures so we encourage you to come back and visit, and hopefully attempt a hike to our famous boiling lake. Thank you for choosing the Fort Young hotel and we hope we are able to serve you again in the future.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This was a very nice place to spend a few evening in Roseau. We did not end up using their dive shop, but the location was secure, the rooms were nice (although the "Fort" rooms are nowhere as nice as the newer rooms either view-wise or amenity-wise, both were good) and the food at the bar was very good.

The only reason reason we didn't provide a 5-star rating was that the hotel badly mishandled a problem with one of their rooms. In the middle of the night, the Air Conditioner started leaking, leaving large amounts of water on the floor. When we alerted the front desk, we were relocated to another room that also was difficult to stay in because the AC had been on max and it was too cold to even get to sleep. Ultimately, we lost an entire day of sleep, which spilled over into a difficult next day--one of only three we had in the area.

Things happen, and I get that. What I was not happy about was their attempt at resolution. Only after we mentioned our concerns, we were offered 15% off of one night of stay, and it was clear that they would do nothing else to make up for the evening. We have stayed at a lot of hotels and there are very few that I would complain about, but I just was entirely dissatisfied with this way this was handled.

Still, other than that one event, we loved the hotel and the accommodations. I would just hope the management of the hotel takes a more active interest in the comfort of their guests.

Room Tip: Fort room is very cheap relative to other rooms in the area, but is a good deal older and smaller...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cmud
FortYoungHotel, Director of Sales at Fort Young Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Hi

On behalf of Management we would like to thank you for your feedback. We apologized for the inconvenience that you experienced while you stayed with us. I have taken the opportunity to speak to my Heads of Department in terms of what went wrong and have taken steps to ensure a situation like this does not happen again. We understand that this was a major inconvenience for you and would be very happy to be given the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Marvlyn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Secret Bay
Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center
Evergreen Hotel
Evergreen Hotel
#5 of 7 in Roseau

Been to Fort Young Hotel? Share your experiences!