Fort Young Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$90
US$118
  • Restaurant
Beau Rive(Castle Bruce)
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsocean frontbuddy divetour deskthe activities deskdive shopcruise shiplarge bathroomenjoyed my stayan ocean view roommain restaurantcaribbean seascotts headrestaurant staffvisit dominicabeautiful islandferry terminalrum punch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Nice hotel to stay at, Service is good. I'm a vegetarian and stayed there in 2012 for Christmas with my aunt and cousin. I was very worried about the food options but I must commend chef Norman Thompson for his exceptional effort in making me most comfortable with my food options. Job well done and much appreciated. The sight seeing and whale watching was worth every second of the stay! Make sure Elvis is your tour guide!! he is excellent also!
Reena.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My husband and I had our wedding in Dominica. We decided on Fort Young because of the location in Roseau. The hotel is very nice depending of course on which room you book. My husband and I got the beautiful one bedroom suite with a king bed that had an amazing view of the ocean and was overlooking the pool. (When you first enter it's like those booking.com commercials, such an awesome room!)There was a tropical storm that passed through while we were staying there and we felt quite safe. The building is well built. The food was pretty good the Pina Colada was A MAZ ING. If it wasn't so darn pricey. The rum punches were strong and cheap. We did have our reception there at the hotel and the food was delicious. There is also a little pier on the right side of the hotel that guests can swim off. (At your own risk of course. Something we wish to know prior to our last day there. lol) On the upside, due to the storm our guests ended up arriving a day late and the hotel did not charge us for that night that was missed. So that was nice.

Things that I did not like about Fort Young. It was very expensive. Also, the "deal" that we received to have our guests stay at the same hotel was not a deal at all. They would advertise rates through 3rd parties for much cheaper. As an example. Due to the storm, we were stuck in Dominica for 3 additional nights (DO NOT FLY LIAT TO THE ISLAND!!!!) We went back to Fort Young and they happily charged us about $180/night for a room. Had I decided to look online first (I was too flustered to even think about it beforehand), we could have gotten the room for only $88/night. For the same exact room. The food is way expensive, good, but way expensive. If you order to your room, there seemed to be a different number you had to call everyday. One day this place was closed, next day some other place and you there wasn't just one place you could place your order. Depending on what you wanted, still would be separate orders. (Maybe this is standard, we don't typically order room service) Also, all of our guests were spread apart from each other. Although they had similar rooms and were in the same building and booked together they still felt so spread apart. The oceanfront rooms with two beds, were just an extra bed squeezed into the room, like they just threw it in.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lloe86
Reviewed 5 October 2013

September is a slow month in Dominica for divers, so our "dive hotel of choice" was closed for the month. Our dive agent booked us at Fort Young, which was open because it serves business travelers in addition to divers. Great hotel (food, cleanliness) accommodating staff. There is a dive shop on site, but cannot rate it because it was closed as well. What I can say is that the hotel staff made sure we had transportation to our dive provider which was a 5 minute ride away. And the Fort Young Dive Shop manager sought us out to make sure as was going well with our diving. Bottom line: we would definitely recommend Fort Young to divers, just not in the month of September!

Room Tip: Ocean front is always better!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Travellers to Dominica, particularly on business, should be aware that the Fort Young is the best hotel Roseau has to offer. This isn't a 5 star resort, but the Fort Young is a solid three star hotel and you can't do better in Roseau.

There is the option to upgrade to the next highest room tier for a minimal fee on check in (around US$20 or so) and I would definitely recommend this as there is a significant difference in quality between the basic Fort rooms and the Oceanfront rooms. The views alone, given this hotel is built literally on an old fort, are well worth the modest fee.

The hotel bar has happy hour between 5 to 7pm and is well worth checking out, and the Margaritas are some of the best I've ever had. Good, free wifi throughout the hotel also is a welcome addition.

There is also the nice touch of three delicious cookies on a plate when you first arrive, just be sure to thoroughly dispose of the plate afterwards, I left it in my hotel and ended up with a stream of ants chewing away on the crumbs.

The rooms are all air conditioned, the service at front desk is great, and the bathrooms are clean. The pool is also very impressive, with spectacular views. The breakfast is very average - don't expect too much.

If you're looking for a great lunch/dinner, check out Tao Restaurant, which is a 3 minute walk down the road (I wouldn't bother with the restaurant inside the hotel).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank CTCTCT
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The Fort Young Hotel is convenient located in the capital Roseau. The rooms are proper, the service friendly and the view over the ocean is nice. For tourist visiting Dominica however I would recommend more an hotel in the nature.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo