“Enjoyable, memorable, would definitely visit again!”
Review of Fort Young Hotel

Fort Young Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Roseau
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Very friendly and accommodating staff! Viviana at the front desk was very helpful, ordering pizza one night for our group of 7 , and gave us great directions for getting around town. Sonia set up our land tours, and made sure we had towels and a cooler for refreshments! Food was really good and Albert was an amazingly attentive waiter. Convenient pick up at the dock for diving with dive dominica. Ocean view rooms were very nice, spacious and very clean. Such a neat venue for a resort!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Janis H

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Customer service is still a new concept in many places in Dominica but Fort Young has it in the bag! This place is wonderful. I've stayed here with friends over a week and with my husband over a weekend. The staff is friendly and helpful and fun. The breakfast is fabulous. The view is fabulous. Its a hotel, not a resort but its close to it. They arrange trips with you, they have a gorgeous pool thats right on the water... goodness. And its so clean and well kept! If you've ever been to a Caribbean hotel you know that thats not always the case!

Room Tip: Ask for the newer addition rooms over the water with the double beds/darker wood furniture. :) Oh an...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed Fort Young for a week for our honeymoon. The hotel was beautiful with gorgeous views of the Caribbean Sea. The room was clean, air conditioned, and spacious. We were fortunate enough to get one of the rooms with a wrap around porch, so we spent time everyday just taking it all in. You can walk just about anywhere in Roseau from the hotel. We used the activities desk, the pool, and two restaurants. We couldn't have asked for better service. Everyone is helpful whether its helping to get a taxi, directions to a specific spot, recommendations for a restaurant, or renting a scooter - they are there for you. After visiting much of the island, I would say this is the best hotel choice. If we ever return to Dominica, we will stay at Fort Young.

Room Tip: Many corner suites have wrap around decks. The hotel is very clean, my bet is all of the rooms are...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen G
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed at Fort Young while in Dominica on a business trip. At the recommendation of a local colleague, I stayed in a Deluxe Oceanfront room. These are, apparently, newer rooms. The room was very large and clean. My first day of work, needing to get to a meeting, I went to the front desk to get a taxi. A couple minutes later, a lady from the hotel appeared and stated that they could not get a taxi and she would take me where I needed to go. I saw her several more times throughout my stay and she always greeted me and asked how everything was, and did so with a smile.

The main restaurant serves a decent variety of food. The food is satisfactory, but not what I would call excellent, and I found it to be quite over priced for the quality. Service in the main restaurant was generally excellent. This was especially true when Talia was working.

One night, I went to the lower restaurant, looking forward to some grilled options (ie. grilled shrimp skewers, etc) and was sorely disappointed in the service in that restaurant. I sat at the table for a long time, and a server passed me 4 times (2 round trips) and never spoke a single word to me...not to ask if I was waiting on more people, for a drink, nothing. After the second trip past me, I got up to leave and approached her just to let her know that it did not go unnoticed that her service was very lacking, at which time she told me she did not see me sitting there. This was the only poor experience I had at the hotel.

I did not use the pool, but did walk over to it. It seems nice, overlooking the sea, but it did seem quite small. The hotel is located right in front of where the cruise ships dock. There were no cruise ships the week I was here, so I can't comment on how the aspect would affect one's stay. It does appear that the ship would definitely block the view from the room(s), at least from the lower rooms.

Overall, I found this to be a very nice property. In my opinion, they are pretty aware that they are the front runner as far as choice of accommodations in Dominica...or at least Roseau...and their prices reflect that. Nice and comfortable as the room was, I don't think it was worth $250/night, but I would not have stayed at any of the other hotels I saw in Roseau.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank trvlngrdgy
Reviewed 14 June 2014

In a nutshell, very good and friendly service, very comfortable room (we stayed in a suite), its right on the sea, and half the hotel is the old English fort from Colonial days ! Roseau is a colourful little bustling town, easy to get around, and from here you have an easy drive to many natural attractions.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great location, great and friendly staff, easily the best hotel in Roseau and probably on the island. Superb view of the sea from our room (#409) from floor to ceiling windows, and it had a balcony on which one could sit and stargaze, enjoy a drink, read, etc. Inifinity pool, great bar, dive boat comes right to the hotel. Many local trips to discover the island could be arranged right on site. In room coffee and robes. Large luxurious bathroom. The security guards were even terrific and friendly, especially Elvis, who personally escorted us to the front desk when we arrived, and with Andre, gave us breakfast, lunch and dinner recommendations - after first, of course, recommending the hotel! Great wait staff at the bar also, especially, Dominic and Chrsitina. And the music duo Friday night were two terrific musicians with great, complementary voices, and they played a wide variety of styles. A great place!

Room Tip: We were in 409. It was large, clean, fabulous, with a great view of the sea from floor to ceiling wi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bwilbat
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had the opportunity to enjoy this Hotel while visiting for a wedding. The wedding and reception was held at the fort young hotel and the experience was great. My family and i would definitely stay there during future visits. The staff was great at organizing the ceremony and reception for the wedding and during our stay afterwards. Weddings tend to be very hectic sometimes but at this hotel we could relax as everything was taken care of. The organizers of the ceremony was wonderful and the room attendant miss Julius made it her priority to make sure that everything was on point in the room and that we had everything we needed and also helped us in fixing a very much unexpected issue with our dresses. Wonderful service, great personalities. I would definitely recommend this hotel for these occasions and otherwise as this is a great representation of The nature isle i have heard so much about. I am glad i can now share my experience.

Room Tip: Ocean deluxe rooms are great you get to enjoy the view of the beautiful caribbean sea and the mounta...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant
Portsmouth Beach Hotel
Portsmouth Beach Hotel
#4 of 4 in Portsmouth

Been to Fort Young Hotel? Share your experiences!