“As disorganized as they are friendly”
Review of Dive Dominica

Dive Dominica
JH, Wyoming
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“As disorganized as they are friendly”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The staff was very friendly but the boat was overcrowded with 19 divers plus crew. No effort was made to divide the crowd into smaller groups so once everyone was in the water it was a "cluster". Dive masters seemed as interested in killing lionfish as anything else. It was disturbing to see both the dive staff and inexperienced divers regularly touching and kicking the reef. The dive sites were excellent and I would highly recommend diving in Dominica, just don't think I would use this operator again.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Sandy V

marietta, GA
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great diving! Great Divemaster!”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My husband and I just came back from almost 2 weeks on the beautiful island of Dominica. We spent one week diving with Dive Dominica while staying at the beautiful Fort Young Hotel (separate review). We had a wonderful week! Very comfortable boat and extraordinarily calm seas which made for some of the most relaxing diving ever. The visibility was surprising good. We had the boat to ourselves most days. Our divemaster Brad was excellent. While there are not a lot of big fish, Brad was so good at pointing out so much little stuff...sun anemone shrimp, squat anemone shrimp, hairy crabs, tiny shrimp on whip coral and corkscrew and corkscrew anemometer, .too many pederson shrimp and arrow crabs and bristle worms to begin to count. He spotted an incredible yellow frog fish, a rare juvenile flying gurnard, itty bitty trunk fish and a seahorse we wouldn't have seen on our own. We also saw the largest hawksbill we've ever seen, scorpion fish and very few lionfish. (Surprisingly few compared to the north) beautiful coral and land of spotted morays. All of this coupled with the beauty of topside Dominica made it our favorite destination in years of travel. I would definitely dive with Dive Dominica again. thanks Brad and Gus for a great time.

Las Vegas, Nevada
193 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Nice Boats, Helpfull Staff, Average Tank Fills”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

2nd year of a week of diving with them. Tank fills were in the 2900cf air, with a max Nitrox of 32. The catamaran boats head was sub-standard, with no working sink, heavy fumes which could easily been removed with a fan. No lock on the door, & a very sharp remnant of a outside door knob. No between dive fruit snack on the boat! Plus side, it did have a head.

Houston, Texas
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Excellent operation, responsible staff”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Spent 5 days diving with Dive Dominica. Each divemaster was attentive an informative. The boats were well maintained and had all the safety equipment that I expected. And the diving was outstanding!

One of the divemasters would give us a dive briefing before each dive so there were no surprises underwater. The boat was usually divided between the divemasters, 6-8 divers with each. Those who wanted to be led around stuck close by, those that didn't just stayed within viewing distance. We typically got a full hour for each dive. Our dm was Imran, who was great, but I got the impression that they all were. And the captain was a good judge of when to dive a site and when to find one in calmer waters.

Most dives were great. Two that stood out were Swiss Cheese and Champagne (seahorses!).

Valparaiso, Indiana
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“CHAMPAIGNE BEACH DIVE WITH OSCAR”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

A $20 RT taxi ride from the port of Rosseau takes you to Champaigne Beach where you will find a warm and welcoming bunch (ncluding the hummingbirds and iguanas) at the bar who will help with diving and snorkeling. They have every piece of equipment you may need to rent. Even if you left your PADI card at home, they can look up your certification for you.
I had the honored privilege of having the opportunity (being the only diver there that day) that the soft spoken divemaster, Oscar, took out that afternoon for a private dive! Beforehand, he showed me in a colorful, beautifully illustrated book of what we were going to try to find. He was teriffic. He was also extremely patient with me as my previous dive had been some time ago. I am 65 now and he carried the equipment and helped me into it while rolling onto the surface of the water (beach is really uneven and rocky).
I had many dives before, but this one was unique. He took out a slate and underwater pen to write down everything I was looking at. I told him I'd love to see sea horses as they were one animal I had never seen before on a dive. Five minutes into the dive, he pointed them out to me! They were so camoflaged that I would NEVER have had a chance of spotting them on my own, but his trained eagle eye did the trick. How did he do that?
The corals were pretty healthy and ranged in color from bright yellow tubes to purple fans. Though fish may have not been quite as plentiful as in some other places, the other creatures (octopus, burr fish, anemones, and those long, stringy garden of eels maybe?--I forgot--that stick out of the sand and all dissappear when you pass), beautiful colors made up for it. The outstanding thing about this water is the volcanic bubbles that eminate from beneath the sand. It's not just a little fizz, but more like huge psychodelic opals and diamonds that are warm to the touch, thus the name "Champaigne Beach."
At the end of the dive there was a long rubber mat laid over the rocks for a comfortable walk back to the wooden boardwalk and some ice cold Carib waiting for me in the bar. Oh yes, before the dive you get a (non-alcoholic, of course) complimentary drink. I chose a fruit drink indigenous to the island called Tamborin (sp?) They'll let you try it first. It was delicious. I remember it well and am sure I may never get the opportunity to have it fresh like that again. The single tank dive was $60US, a bargain for the quality of the dive!
Oh yes, my sister snorkeled, and she said her experience was likewise engaging! (Photos to follow.)
Bar is wheelchair accessible. My sister and I took our Dad. Family visit but not really any teens (just no other category to put it in.)

Visited April 2013