“Perfect base for hiking”
Review of Cocoa Cottages

Cocoa Cottages
Ranked #1 of 21 Roseau B&B and Inns
“Perfect base for hiking”
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

We found Cocoa cottage a perfect base for hiking in the surrounding area. A lot of beautiful hikes are really close to the hotel. We suggest Trafalgar waterfalls, Middleham falls, Boeri lake.
We stayed in the honeymoon suite. The room is quite simple and with a rustic design. The terrace was amazing with a beautiful view on the rain forest.
We had breakfast in the hotel, which is served in a nice veranda on a common table where you can exchange tips for the days excursions. Maybe the menu of the breakfast need a little more variety, but the scrambled egg where delicious.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Matteo C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is your place. Nestled in rain forest canyons, the open-air tree house will convince you to cash in your return flight and adopt your new Caribbean home. Go canyonning with Richard or trek to the world's largest boiling lake by day, returning to rum punch and outstanding home cuisine at the main cottage. This is the setting to recharge your batteries. Learn why Hollywood set designers chose never to go back and FAA-licensed mechanics journeyed from London to Dominica to stay. Truly a magical place run by a caring couple. The island will come alive by water, foot, or rope. Don't miss the secret beach. A trip of a lifetime.

Room Tip: If you enjoy the outdoors, stay in the tree house and live the rain forest.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank John B
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This place has such a great vibe, thanks to Liz, Richard and their staff! So warm and always so helpful with everything.
Also, the whole place is beautiful and creatively decorated.
Loved every minute at Cocoa Cottages!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Josefin L
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Liz and Richard have setup one of the nicest, relaxed cottage system housing that I've ever experienced. Even though my family was stuck in San Juan, Puerto Rico for a night, Liz and Richard made sure to make me feel welcomed and offered to drive me to several locations to fill in the time. They're tree house has an amazing view of the forest and eliminates almost all noise from the outside world. The rain on the tin roof was melodic and the openness of the house was perfect. We ate at the cottages nearly every night because the food was so good and local. Not only was the stay great, but the canyoning provided was probably one of the best high lights of the trip. Cannot thank Liz and Richard enough for such a great experience.

Room Tip: The tree house is a little more removed and private but needs to have at least 5 people to make it w...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tucker B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I had a great few nights at Cocoa Cottages in July 2013 in a colourful room overlooking the forest. Iris was an excellent host who gave us great ideas and even found a courier to deliver me my passport when I was on my way to the airport (thanks for saving my bacon). It was a great place to meet with fellow travellers. We were looked after every day with a hearty breakfast and given great advice on things to see and do in Dominica. The canyoning and Boiling Lake hike were most enjoyable - this is a convenient place for teeing up for these activities. I now wish I'd spent another night there. I thoroughly recommend this place if you want to be close to nature in Dominica.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter T
Oviedo, Spain
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The decoration is the main point of this hotel. In addition the owners are really nice people, always available to chat and explain things.
However the price is a bit high and they include some taxes in the bill that they don't tell you in advance.
Nice place to stay

Room Tip: any of them is nice
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rubo89
CocoaCottages, Owner at Cocoa Cottages, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
We have always included our prices on our website, and have tried to make everything as clear as possible. We also encourage everyone to please look at our website closely. Unfortunately, this booking was made from the ferry ship at the very last minute, over the phone, and was for 7 people arriving that day. We got everything ready for their arrival and were happy to receive them. We even gave them one extra room for well below our regular rate so that 7 men would not all have to share beds. It was unfortunate that not everyone had read the website before their arrival. Below is the emailed response we got from the person that posted this, after we'd written him to try to find out what exactly what was not clear to him.

"Dear Liz and Richard,

After your explanation I feel sorry about the opinion I had. the prices are clear and I believe that you guys want this business is just to survive and not to make huge profit.

My problem was to trust what other people say instead of searching information myself.

I would like to modify my comment on the TripAdvisor website and I will recommend your place to everybody who wants to visit Dominica.

Sorry again for the misunderstandings. I hope you forget this bad feelings about us and open your doors if we return to Dominica.

Thank you very much for the treatment."
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband and I just spent 6 nights at Cocoa Cottages. It was the best vacation I have had in all my life. We stayed in the honeymoon cottage and it was very comfortable and beautiful. The outdoor bed swing was so relaxing after a day of canyoning or hiking. The breakfast and dinners we exceptional with all local cuisine. Breakfast cook Joan was a real pleasure to talk too and she made a great breakfast. We went canyoning with Richard and it was an exceptional adventure something that I didn't think I would be able to do but with Richards encouragement I prevailed. Richard and Liz made us feel like best friends. Liz was always available with suggestions on where to go and where to eat to get the Dominica experience. We loved Cocoa Cottages and hope to go back in the future!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sweeti01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Fort Young Hotel
Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center
St. James Guesthouse
St. James Guesthouse
#3 of 21 in Roseau

Been to Cocoa Cottages? Share your experiences!