“Idyllic, Tranquil, Transformational”
Review of Cocoa Cottages

Cocoa Cottages
Ranked #1 of 21 Roseau B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Our trip to Dominica was planned entirely by my husband as a surprise for our anniversary. Not only was I completely surprised and thrilled that he did this for us, but when we drove up to the entrance of Cocoa Cottages I said "This is PERFECT!" And it was. From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed and well attended. Our hosts Liz, Richard & Iris were warm and personable, as was their staff. Nestled in the jungle of the island we were immediately transported from our hectic life in a busy metropolis to the tranquility of Cocoa Cottages. We stayed in the honeymoon suite towards the back of the property, with its private balcony overlooking a small stream. Rustic, charming, cozy and private, the property felt like its own little oasis. The only sounds we heard were the chorus of birds in the daytime, and the frogs at night. For us it was idyllic. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the bath adequate for our needs. I loved the locally made soap that was provided. Our meals were fresh and delicious. Everything was prepared from local, organically grown sources. The homemade jams served with fresh bread in the morning were yummy, as was the Cocoa tea. One day I was not feeling well, and the staff was especially kind in making sure I was cared for properly. It was great to meet such an interesting variety of guests from all over the world who were also staying there. The experience of time nestled in nature provided us with deep rest, tranquility, and a renewed sense of being present. Since our return home, we have transformed our meals to the healthful ones served at Cocoa Cottages and adjusted our fast, daily routines to include some of the peaceful habits we initiated during our stay. We look forward to returning….sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the ravine & stream towards back of property
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank julie D

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Dominica and the Cocoa Cottage was the most beautiful vacation we had in years. We went to Dominica for our honeymoon, so at the cottage we had the honeymoonsuite for 5 days. It was perfect. We loved the feeling of being in the nature, of being one with the nature. Sleeping with the sound of the birds and other animals gave me a feeling of total relaxation.

Liz, Richard & Iris (and all the other people working @ Cocoa Cottage) were so helpfull, nice & kind. When we had some questions or problems they always tried to solve them for us immediately. Perfect!

The breakfast & dinner were fantastic. The food was so delicious! Everything is well-seasoned, fresh and so tasty! Loved the Kaku- & herbal-tea!

I have chosen Cocoa Cottage for this part of our honeymoon because of the "home"-feeling.
I found it wonderful that every morning at breakfast and everytime at dinner we were with all the guests at one big round table. Everybody had a conversation with everybody: English, French, Dutch, it didn't matter where the people came from.

From the first moment we felt super welcome. We have done a lot of the activities that Extreme Dominica offers: Turtle watching, Canyoning, Hike to Boilinglake. All organized bij Liz&Richard, they did a great job!!

I hope that the next guests also have this great feeling of warmth, welcome, home, nature en relaxation, when they end their trip.

Liz, Richard & Iris, thanks a lot, again, for making our honeymoon the best trip ever.
I know that we were one of the many guests you have had, but the Cocoa Cottage has a special place for us!

All the very best for all of you,

Mark & Rosanne (the newlyweds)

Room Tip: The honeymoonsuite is at the back of the cottage, with very nice view!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rosanne J
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed there during our stay in Dominica. Overall, we had positive stay and we would be ok going back there again but we would likely try somewhere else next time. It was pricey overall for what you get.

Location: is really nice. You are in the middle of the jungle. Having said that, I can confirm that you hear the traffic noise as another person mentionned previously here - maybe it was specific to our room as we were the closest to the road though. But i should say that the road did not have much traffic so it was not honestly an issue for us. Something much more annoying for us though is that there was a big dog in the area who barked every single night we were there. Not much the cottage owners can do about it, but it was really annoying and damaged the "jungle experience". My partner ended up putting earpluds at night while I chose to resist and not put them straight away but had to put them during the night every night as that dog barked all the time.

Rooms: are really great. I believe we had the cheapest room and it was really beautiful. We had the occasion to see another room and it was even better than ours.

Food- the breakfast was very good and we had dinner there one night and it was really good too but all pricey versus what you can get elsewhere on the island. Drinks are included in the breakfast (which is 15USD) but our understanding is that the drinks were not included in the dinner (which was on the pricey side- 35USD) as we were told to write down our drinks (2USD for the soft drinks- water is free) on the fridge before dinner and there was no drinks on the table at dinner- i.e. please pay for them. Add to that taxes and service to that.

Staff- the staff was nice but we have been to other places in that price range on other islands (where the cost of accomodation was comparable) and we thought that our reception was warmer elsewhere. We had no welcome drink or anything (we arrive late though). Instead, they explained us they counted us already for the 35USD dinner as we arrived late.

Other extras- Wifi is not included. You have to pay for it. I honestly never had the case before except in very cheap accomodation like youth hostel. Nowadays, that should be a given like toilet paper or bath towels are.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank maybered
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I am a bit embarrassed to be so tardy in my review, as we stayed there 14 months ago. However, since I relied so heavily on what I'd read on this site, I felt obliged to offer our perspective. Let me say first, that our previous lodging was in a serene, remote location next to a roaring stream. I think that made the transition to our room at Cocoa Cottage a bit of a shock. Our window was within feet of a heavily traveled road with the diesel fumes, low geared engines, and the horns that go with it. (I had read nothing of this in reviews before our booking.) In fairness, if you are an early riser and don't care to nap in the afternoon, this may be less troubling for you.
Positives: Location in close proximity to attractions; spotless and quaint rooms; delicious dinner available; wonderful homemade chocolates available
Negatives: Road noise; lack of privacy; pricey (extra charges for items included elsewhere); a "walking on eggshells" feeling. Our hostess seemed to take personal offense to our dissatisfaction, though she attempted restraint. I understand that when you put your heart into something, you want others to appreciate your efforts. However, my discomfort remains as a predominate memory. We had planned to stay 5 days but left after 2.

Room Tip: Expect lodging close to city to be less serene
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greenlizzy
CocoaCottages, Owner at Cocoa Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Hello Greenlizzy,

Thank you so much for your honest review. I am so sorry you have had such a terrible experience. You are right--the exploration for geothermal energy source, as part of the island's green approach to generate power, took place right around the time of your visit, for a whole month. We all suffered and it was beyond our control.

The good news is that the Geo team did not find anything, neither in Trafalgar nor in Wotten Waven; so they closed the sites and we are back to our tranquil environment. What a shame your timing was wrong, as none of our guests over the past 10 years have ever complained about the location. In fact, most guests are active people who wake up early to go hiking, diving and adventuring, taking full advantage of the proximity of our guest house to so many sites.

Anyway, Cocoa Cottage is home away from home for many of our guests, who interact with us directly, talking about their life, sharing their stories. I want to believe that people are honest enough to share their concerns with the cottage...and their complaints as well, so that we may discuss options in a kind manner. At the end of the day, I love my place and I care that people enjoy their stay and have a great experience on the island.

I am happy that you managed to get your serenity back after all, and now you feel a great relief.

Enjoy life, Iris.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We really loved this place. It was a bit more expensive than the other places we stayed on Dominica and our treat to ourselves (we were on a budget). We only stayed 2 days as we moved around the island a bit.The rooms were fun and comfortable. I loved the mosaic bathroom tile art and all of the attention to detail in our Patchouli room. We didn't eat dinners there because we were out hiking elsewhere but the breakfasts were great and we enjoyed eating around the round table with the other guests. It was close to several of the trails we wanted to hike. Iris was a great hostess.Although we didn't go due to time, we heard many of the other guests comment on how the canyoning with Richard was so worth it. The staff were very friendly and I wish we could have stayed longer. This was the only place we stayed at on the island where the coffee was good, especially the stuff Franklin grew on his farm.

Room Tip: We only saw the Patchouli room, but I'll bet they are all really cool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NorthernD2014
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed here over New Years 2013/2014. I picked Cocoa Cottages because I was traveling solo and they have family style meals where everyone eats together. This did prove to be a great way to meet the other guests. I often ran into other guests at other tourist attractions, so I never really felt alone. Also, for New Years Eve, Liz and Richard organized to take us out for a dinner and music show. I also felt they went out of their way to introduce me to ex-pats living in Dominica so that I could meet more people.

Another plus of staying at Cocoa is that they have good connections with friendly local guides. I booked my boiling lake hike through them and really enjoyed the guide's company and got to learn about island life. I also felt safe because it was a person trusted by Cocoa Cottages.

The location is great, though I do recommend renting a car. Food was excellent, though slightly pricey.

The only downsides were this: I did my research and asked for a specific room when I made my booking months in advance. I'm a light sleeper and wanted a room that was somewhat private. When I arrived I was shown to a different room, over the kitchen, and told that is where they put single travelers. When I explained the situation they did move me to another room, but they didn't seem happy about it. So the jist is that even if you book a specific room, don't expect to get it. Also, because this is a small family-run business, the emotional tone of their personal mood that day is going to be felt in your interactions.

Overall I had one of the best vacations of my life in Dominica. It is a very special island, with amazing nature and friendly people, and Cocoa Cottages is a great home base.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Claire B
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Cocoa for 4 nights and loved it. When you pull up with a car, you can't see much beyond the gate but as soon enter, a magical place in the middle of jungle appears. The rooms are all unique in set up and decor. We got to try out two different ones since the place was not booked full at that time and the owners offered. Bothe rooms were very charming, comfortable and romantic. Liz and Richard were very good hosts. The kitchen area is great place to chat with other guests while enjoying a delicious and healthy dinner. Yes, we would definitely go back!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank zspon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Fort Young Hotel
Secret Bay
Secret Bay
#1 of 4 in Portsmouth
Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas

Been to Cocoa Cottages? Share your experiences!